HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Trade Malkin?

Old
10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
MARKOVFTW

vCash: 500
Trade Malkin?

It seems as though the lack of quality wingers is seriously hampering the production of both Crosby and Malkin. Moreover Malkin really stepped up his game while Crosby was injured, proving his ability to be as top center in this league.

I know that penguins fans are gonna flame the crap out of me for suggesting this, but why not trade Malkin for a kick ass winger to play with Crosby? (maybe even two good wingers if the offer is right)

Staal could assume the role of second line center, also allowing him to blossom.

So no? Yes? If so who would be a good fit?

Flame On!

Last edited by MARKOVFTW: 10-16-2008 at 04:15 PM.
MARKOVFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginsisdabomb View Post
It seems as though the lack of quality wingers is seriously hampering the production of both Crosby and Malkin. Moreover Malkin really stepped up his game while Crosby was injured, proving his ability to be as top center in this league.

I know that penguins fans are gonna flame the crap out of me for suggesting this, but why not trade Malkin for a kick ass winger to play with Crosby? (maybe even two good wingers if the offer is right)
Because Ovechkin isn't available. Next.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:22 PM
GuyFawkes121

i am not a fan of the pens but this would not be a bad idea if the return was right. But that is the problem will the return be right enough for them to pull the trigger i don't see it happening but you never know with sports what will happen. Maybe to a team that is rebuilding?

GuyFawkes121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Why not just try to make Malkin Crosby's winger instead of trading him, and instead try nabbing a 2nd line center?

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
This. That's the only winger that I would consider trading Malkin for right now. Topic over.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Jaded-Fan

You knew you were going to get flamed, that the trade would never happen, and that the idea was either idiotic or trolling and yet you asked anyways. You do have a point, no team has ever competed with two world class centers down the middle and after four games we can draw pretty definitive conclusions on whether the wings aquired over the off season have failed or not. And if they have the obvious choice would be to trade one of our world class centers rather than replace the failing wings this off season, preferrably for a bunch of over priced parts who will not do much more for us than the UFA wings we signed.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:27 PM
vcx*

Quote:
Exactly.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higginsisdabomb View Post
It seems as though the lack of quality wingers is seriously hampering the production of both Crosby and Malkin.

Staal could assume the role of second line center, also allowing him to blossom.
!
I see the logic in it IF Staal can assume the 2nd line center role. Problem is I think most Pens fans will tell you he hasn't yet shown that he can. Therefore it's kind of pointless to discuss.. You trade Malkin for what, Kovalchuk? Now you've gone from a 1-2 punch lacking in wingers to a loaded top line without any offensive support from the other lines.

Also, if we're needing a winger, I'd much rather move Staal for one. And I'm not even real keen on that idea.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Darth Sidious*

Quote:

That ended the thread right there.

Mods, let's close this one down.

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:30 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Terrible idea.

Move along, and dont feed the troll

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Yes trade Malkin in the next 2 hours please...

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Clarke

the only other 1st line winger that comes to mind in a perfect world would be rick nash. even still i'd want alot more coming back for him.

Clarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
CH4

Well what if you could fetch a Kovalchuk?

There are certainly some wigners that could suit better the pens then Malkin, IMO

well if you don't want to hear about it good for you, but I'm sure your GM would consider a trade if its to make his team better.

CH4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

It'd have to be for two quality wingers, or one elite and one good winger.

Rick Nash and Huselius maybe haha.. but they're both LW aren't they?

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
FlyersCup08

As stated above, Malkin doubles as a winger. Clearly the Pens value a top center for the second line than a top winger with Crosby, or Malkin would be on Crosby's wing.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
Miller Time

while the thought of trading a player of the caliber of Malkin seems basically ridiculous, in the cap era it's not so far fetched to think that a team might be better served by doing so...

While there have been teams that featured two "all-world" centres (colorado with sakic/forsberg comes to mind), the cap era makes it much more difficult to manouevre, and while the pens have done fine so far, it's hard to see how they will be able to properly manage it moving forward (witness both Hossa and Malone's departure).

I think they somewhat messed up in making the deal for Hossa, though it's a tough argument to make since they did make a finals appearance with him...

but when you already have the salaries of Crosby and Malkin on the books, plus gonchar and whitney, plus what they will have to pay Fleury and Staal, if they continue progressing, it becomes clear that having a very strong pool of prospects and drafting wisely is vital to restocking your teams depth, since poaching in the UFA market becomes quite difficult with your hands "cap-tied".

anyways, point is that a guy like Malkin is soooo good that no GM would want to move him, but on the other hand, there are a ton of GM's that would likely gut their prospect/depth pools to get him.

If the pens could land a "Lindro-esque" return for him, it might very well give them the kind of young depth that will allow them to be cup contenders for the next decade, and even perhaps give them better bargaining tools (picks/prospects to deal) to make a deadline deal or two in years where adding a guy late in the season might just push them over the top...

just for kicks, something like this:

to Vancouver-
Malkin

to Pitt-
Kesler, Edler, Raymond
Hodgson,
1st 08, 2nd 09

nuck fans might scream "massive overpayment", pens fans might scream "we won't move malkin", but IF he were to be dealt, a package like that would probably do the trick, and long term might actually pay dividends to both teams.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:48 PM
WpgPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4THECUP View Post
Well what if you could fetch a Kovalchuk?

There are certainly some wigners that could suit better the pens then Malkin, IMO

well if you don't want to hear about it good for you, but I'm sure your GM would consider a trade if its to make his team better.
Kovalchuk for Malkin, would lessen all offensive areas. 2nd line production would take a tremendous hit. Malkin can and frequently does play on the PK as well, Kovy#2, cannot. All this loss for one winger, albeit an outstanding one, to play with Crosby.

The Pens have much better options to land better wingers. The recent off-season did not have an abundance of skilled wingers to choose from. Perhaps by the trade deadline or next off-season these needs will be met with many more options being available. Malkin is not going to be traded for significant overall loss to the team, even for a star winger. As you stated, Shero would consider a trade IF it made the team BETTER.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Darth Sidious*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDown View Post
the only other 1st line winger that comes to mind in a perfect world would be rick nash. even still i'd want alot more coming back for him.

I've had some wonderful, wonderful dreams of seeing Nash in a Pens jersey playing on Sid's wing.

<sigh>

Darth Sidious* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:51 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
No, no... NO!

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:55 PM
littlesthobo

I was thinking maybe Gabby + something (1st rounder) for Malkin?

Any chance of it working, seeing as Gabby is a UFA to be, and Malkin is locked up.

littlesthobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

If for some reason the Pens brass lost their brains and forgot that they recently resigned Malkin to a huge contract, while not overpaying for him value-wise, and he for some reason decided to request a trade, then I'd personally consider moving him for Heatley. Seeing the release on that guy is amazing and putting him with Crosby IMO would be the best combo in the league... Crosby does a whole lot better with guys that can find the soft spots... Heatley seems to do that better than anyone in the league and he can be successful without having to have possession of the puck all the time.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:01 PM
NuxFan09

Pens fans are such homers, it's laughable!

Trading Malkin makes so much sense and I suggested it even before July 1. Pittsburgh's offense is obviously struggling mightily and it's because they're lacking quailty wingers. Wopp-dee-doo you have the best 1-2 punch at center but who's playing with them? Fedotenko? Satan? Dupuis??

I know Crosby and Malkin are elite players but even they wont succeed as much with such a lack of solid wingers. The Penguins could have acquired a bounty for Malkin in the offseason, likely including a 1st round pick which they really need also. I don't see much promising young talent in the Penguins system anymore. Unfortunately, Shero and the entire Penguins fanbase is way to stubborn to think about giving him up.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxFan09 View Post
Unfortunately, Shero and the entire Penguins fanbase is way to stubborn to think about giving him up.
And they should be. Those two should anchor the Pens top two lines for the next 10 years.

Now, trading Staal could make some sense if the right return was there...

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:10 PM
CertifiedPublicGuin

Quote:

Trading Malkin makes so much sense and I suggested it even before July 1. Pittsburgh's offense is obviously struggling mightily and it's because they're lacking quailty wingers. Wopp-dee-doo you have the best 1-2 punch at center but who's playing with them? Fedotenko? Satan? Dupuis??

I know Crosby and Malkin are elite players but even they wont succeed as much with such a lack of solid wingers. The Penguins could have acquired a bounty for Malkin in the offseason, likely including a 1st round pick which they really need also. I don't see much promising young talent in the Penguins system anymore. Unfortunately, Shero and the entire Penguins fanbase is way to stubborn to think about giving him up.
zzzz...

You know it's 4 games into the season, not to mention those two centers are coming off a year where they still had minimal help on the wing. One was up for the Heart and 2nd in points, behind a freakish statistical year from Ovechkin. The other, once again was on pace for over 100 again. And the Pens had Hossa for something like 5 games in the regular season (net injuries), so that's not valid. I think the entire past 2 years is a better sample of if they can handle a load without wingers. Another year and a half from now, if Malkin and Crosby are coming off 50-60 point years respectively, and are on pace to do so again, then maybe I start to think about the possibility of bringing in a winger. Even then, I'd move Staal first, who may not bring in a winger of the caliber that Malkin could bring, but it'd still be a pretty good player, while still keeping 2 of the best players in the league in the lineup.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

You can't make a fair judgment of their offense yet they've only played 4 games and in the long term they are better with Malkin than they'd be without him. Their not just struggling because of the wingers they lost they also have significant injuries to their defense right now and have had problems getting out of their own end and moving the puck up to their forwards. I'd wait until later in the year when Gonchar and Whitney get back to judge the offense but even then I would not trade Geno I'd trade something else though to acquire another top 6 forward.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote