HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Mistake to let Garon leave

Old
10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Kingswin

vCash: 500
Mistake to let Garon leave

If you go over to the Edmonton board you will see that their fans think Garon is worth about 4 to 5 million per season. i think he is worth around 3 million and I was pissed to see him let go especially after Cloutier was favored that whole season.

Kingswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Ollie Weeks

yup. i miss garon.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:14 PM
OilerOlli*

Mean nothing at our club. I mean, Gilbert is getting 4 mil/year...I still doubt that Garon can be a good #1 Goalie the whole year and carry you in the playoffs.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Matt13

Legace
Huet
Garon

who's next?

Matt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Kings' fans in general are far too hard on their goaltenders (me included).

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:27 PM
Kingswin

I'm actually really pissed at the Lombardi Crawford Regime for letting this guy just slip. I remember even the fans here were saying that Garon was underachieving when in all I saw were solid efforts in front of a crappy Kings defense. Everyone says Priessing and JMFJ suffered under Crawford's coaching system and I think if that is true then Garon is also a victim of the same system.

Old
10-16-2008, 02:28 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Blah blah blah blah blah. I'm still waiting for the Cammy and Lubo threads to come.

Hindsight is 20-20. Seriously. At the time, Garon was mediocre and had similar numbers to Labs. He changes teams and suddenly he's good. That can mean any number of things. He got serious. The system fit him better. He saw the Virgin Mary in a twinkie, who knows?

"OMG Lubo scored the GWG! WTF Kings!"

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Youngblood93

I don't miss him it all. He was injured and played well at times. It doesn't matter if Garon was still here or not, the Kings would still have been the same team. Garon is not a true number 1 IMO. Besides Bernier will be here next year.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:33 PM
Kingswin

Yeah well both of those guys were traded because we had more than enough players to fill their positions at cheaper prices. It is just my opinion but I think Lombardi really messed up because we are playing Labarbara at this point when the Oilers have Garon as their number one.. Lombardi messed up on this and a lot of other things.

Old
10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingswin View Post
Yeah well both of those guys were traded because we had more than enough players to fill their positions at cheaper prices. It is just my opinion but I think Lombardi really messed up because we are playing Labarbara at this point when the Oilers have Garon as their number one.. Lombardi messed up on this and a lot of other things.
Labs is doing fine.

13th in save percentage.
9th in GAA.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:37 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Garon always played well for the first half of the season and always trailed off toward the end. I certainly would have rather had him over Cloutier, but dwelling on the past is pointless. Bernier is the future. LaBarbera and Ersberg are the present, and they are perfectly adequate to get us through this season.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:41 PM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt13 View Post
Legace
Huet
Garon

who's next?
Jason Labarbera, if many Kings' fans have their way.

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Kopistar

Didn't he want more money? And didn't he come off a season where he showed why he didn't deserve a raise?

Kopistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Towards the end of the season, Roloson outplayed him.

He seems to do the same thing with each and every opportunity... start off strong, tail off at the end.

He has never led his team to the playoffs and he's had opportunities to.

He has also never had a season where he was the bonafide #1 without being outplayed by another goalie during a span.

05/06 - Outplayed by LaBarbera to begin season, had an awful finish when team collapsed and fell out of the playoffs.
06/07 - Outplayed by Burke late in season
07/08 - Outplayed by Roloson late in season
08/09 - ... IT'S STILL OCTOBER!!

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'm more upset about the fact that we didn't pick up or offer anything for Bryzgalov. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:26 PM
sweatypickle

high glove! high glove!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:36 PM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
I'm more upset about the fact that we didn't pick up or offer anything for Bryzgalov. . .
Bingo

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:37 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
ya but then we wouldn't have Donuts....

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:43 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Blah blah blah blah blah. I'm still waiting for the Cammy and Lubo threads to come.

Hindsight is 20-20. Seriously. At the time, Garon was mediocre and had similar numbers to Labs. He changes teams and suddenly he's good. That can mean any number of things. He got serious. The system fit him better. He saw the Virgin Mary in a twinkie, who knows?

"OMG Lubo scored the GWG! WTF Kings!"
Goalies tend to improve when they play for a team that's not falling apart in front of them on a nightly basis. Garon always showed great skills and poise...he just had the misfortune of playing for a team ill-equipped to take advantage of his abilities and for a GM who didn't like him from the start. I always thought he'd do well if given the opportunity and I'm glad he's proving me right.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 03:56 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
Garon always showed great skills and poise...he just had the misfortune of playing for a team ill-equipped to take advantage of his abilities...
This was not the case in the AHL during the lockout season. Despite his great skill and poise, Garon performed as described in previous posts (strong season start, faded toward the end of the season) and was incapable of taking the clearly buffed Monarchs team into the second round of the playoffs (Brown, Cammy, TK, Gleason, etc.).

Clearly it's hard to say with any degree of certainty how things would have turned out that season for the Monarchs with a different goalie in net, but the hot goalie going into the off-season was Hauser, who outplayed Garon that season hands down, and conventional wisdom says you always go with the hot goalie into the playoffs. Alas, it wasn't to be. No surprise for the Manchester faithful regarding how things turned out for Garon following that season.

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:00 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
ya but then we wouldn't have Donuts....
I guess that's true. . .cause and effect

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:08 PM
MxK1NGS

We are just cursed

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
Johnny Utah

Dafoe
Huet
Garon
Legace

What do they all have in common? They were on the Kings and were let go in favor of...

Chechmanek
Fiset
Storr
Cloutier

Enough said.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 04:24 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
This was not the case in the AHL during the lockout season. Despite his great skill and poise, Garon performed as described in previous posts (strong season start, faded toward the end of the season) and was incapable of taking the clearly buffed Monarchs team into the second round of the playoffs (Brown, Cammy, TK, Gleason, etc.).

Clearly it's hard to say with any degree of certainty how things would have turned out that season for the Monarchs with a different goalie in net, but the hot goalie going into the off-season was Hauser, who outplayed Garon that season hands down, and conventional wisdom says you always go with the hot goalie into the playoffs. Alas, it wasn't to be. No surprise for the Manchester faithful regarding how things turned out for Garon following that season.
I won't argue that there are some issues with MG's ability to hold it together over the course of a season. However, that can be forgiven in his first AHL season, IMO, given the fact that he was a back-up in the NHL for the previous 2-3 seasons and perhaps wasn't accustomed to the workload. In AM's last season (Garon's first in the NHL as a King), I'm not sure you can judge to what degree he faded down the stretch, given that the entire team broke down in front of him as the season progressed and proceeded to have the worst finish I have ever seen an NHL team have. Furthermore, in his second season with the team, injuries and DL/Crow's love for Dan Cloutier prevented us from getting an accurate read on how his endurance had progressed/stagnated. Obviously, there are still questions about that area of his game, but, in my mind, they are just that: questions that need to be answered, not proven flaws. We'll see what the answers to those questions end up being as this season progresses.

At the moment, I'm happy that he's doing well in Edmonton and, thereby, justifying the faith that I and several others on this board have shown in him. And, questions or not, I can tell you that I would rather have Garon between the pipes than Labarbera, which, getting back to the issue brought up by the OP, means that, DL did make a mistake in hanging onto Labs and letting Garon go.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I think Garon and Huet are a product of a more stable defensive system, as someone mentioned earlier. Not only that, you also get more exposure playing in eastern or canadian teams. So when the goalies do a decent job, you're much more likely to see it headlined.

Adding to that, those teams also have more knowledgeable fans who have a better understanding of what a goalie's role is. Even when Labarbera is stopping 56 of 60 shots in 2 games, we have Kings fans here continually lambasting and blaming him for losses. Had he been on a Canadian team, he would be praised for his sturdy play as Murray praises Labarbera. Just a difference in knowledge and understanding of the game...

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote