HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mistake to let Garon leave

Old
10-16-2008, 05:11 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I think Garon and Huet are a product of a more stable defensive system, as someone mentioned earlier. Not only that, you also get more exposure playing in eastern or canadian teams. So when the goalies do a decent job, you're much more likely to see it headlined.

Adding to that, those teams also have more knowledgeable fans who have a better understanding of what a goalie's role is. Even when Labarbera is stopping 56 of 60 shots in 2 games, we have Kings fans here continually lambasting and blaming him for losses. Had he been on a Canadian team, he would be praised for his sturdy play as Murray praises Labarbera. Just a difference in knowledge and understanding of the game...
Bingo.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
typicaljs

The guy can do the splits real perty. but two words that someone already mentioned:

High glove

typicaljs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:05 PM
King RAZZ
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Dafoe
Huet
Garon
Legace

What do they all have in common? They were on the Kings and were let go in favor of...

Chechmanek
Fiset
Storr
Cloutier

Enough said.
That's harsh on Fiset and Storr to have those other two mentioned in the same sentence with them... Actually I thought those two were decent in nets for us...

BUT Cechmanek and the Beachball are the two of the three WORST goalies in Kings history (and I'd place Ron Grahame in the middle of that pairing with the Beachball #1 and the Choke-a-matic as #3...and see who we gave up for HIM)...

King RAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Garon>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pillows

'Nuff said.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

For those that enjoy bizarre analogies:

Garon was the cute but homely chic that was good sex but we could never take seriously...and we think about every once in a while...

Carry on...

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Other Little Mikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Towards the end of the season, Roloson outplayed him.

He seems to do the same thing with each and every opportunity... start off strong, tail off at the end.

He has never led his team to the playoffs and he's had opportunities to.

He has also never had a season where he was the bonafide #1 without being outplayed by another goalie during a span.

05/06 - Outplayed by LaBarbera to begin season, had an awful finish when team collapsed and fell out of the playoffs.
06/07 - Outplayed by Burke late in season
07/08 - Outplayed by Roloson late in season
08/09 - ... IT'S STILL OCTOBER!!
I agree that Garon still hasn't proven himself as a legit #1 and will have to play this way all season and hopefully into the playoffs before he does.

But he wasn't outplayed by Roloson at ANY point last season. Roloson played near the end of the year because Garon hurt his ankle. If you wanna say that proves he can't hold up for 65 games, okay, but ... different argument.

Other Little Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
King Blazer

Garon was pretty cheesed about the Cloutier thing. He wasn't staying...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Captain Ron

I firmly believe that Patrick Roy would look like a bad goalie if he was playing with the Kings defense in front of him. The Kings have always said they never had a good goalie....I say they have never had a quality defensive system. How else do you explain "mediocre" goal tenders becoming all stars when traded to other teams?

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:46 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zad View Post

Garon was the cute but homely chic that was good sex but we could never take seriously...and we think about every once in a while...

Carry on...
Yeah, but now we're married to the ugly ***** who can't clean, cook or **** right for that matter. Which would you rather have?

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 10:52 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer View Post
Garon was pretty cheesed about the Cloutier thing. He wasn't staying...
Nor should he have. The minute DL arrived in LA was the minute Garon's chances of being a #1 with this team dropped to zilch.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:09 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
Yeah, but now we're married to the ugly ***** who can't clean, cook or **** right for that matter. Which would you rather have?
We're in transition

Old
10-16-2008, 11:10 PM
meck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Towards the end of the season, Roloson outplayed him.

He seems to do the same thing with each and every opportunity... start off strong, tail off at the end.

He has never led his team to the playoffs and he's had opportunities to.

He has also never had a season where he was the bonafide #1 without being outplayed by another goalie during a span.

05/06 - Outplayed by LaBarbera to begin season, had an awful finish when team collapsed and fell out of the playoffs.
06/07 - Outplayed by Burke late in season
07/08 - Outplayed by Roloson late in season
08/09 - ... IT'S STILL OCTOBER!!
Garon was sidelined by an injury near the end of the season, which forced roloson to play. At no point in time was garon ever outplayed by roloson last season. Even though Garon has been amazing so far, I agree with the rest of what you guys are saying, he still has to prove he can be a number one goaltender in this league

meck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 11:18 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
We're in transition
So, when we become rich and powerful, we'll leave Jason for someone younger?

Old
10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
So, when we become rich and powerful, we'll leave Jason for someone younger?
In the beginning. Later on though, we will seek comfort and familiarity, and settle down with someone more our speed...with a mistress on the side...we will be on our third Cup by then.

Old
10-16-2008, 11:46 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
In the beginning. Later on though, we will seek comfort and familiarity, and settle down with someone more our speed...with a mistress on the side...we will be on our third Cup by then.
Sounds like you've done this before.

Old
10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Hindsight is 20-20. Seriously. At the time, Garon was mediocre and had similar numbers to Labs. He changes teams and suddenly he's good. That can mean any number of things. He got serious. The system fit him better.
This is not hindsight - Garon was right in front of DL the first day he got here, and he proceeded to tell us that Cloutier was better.

Garon stole games when he was here, period. What that means is: HE WAS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN MANY GAMES THAT THEY ACTUALLY WON.

Garon played GREAT when he was here, his play is no new news in Edmonton. The system fit him better? He played over .500 behind our **** defense. What else do you need? He got serious?

please... DL just sucked this one big time (and cost the team a few more picks [assets] to boot)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Pucknut50

Quote:

Carry on...
Cute but Homely?

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
HUN_mikee

yes, and we would be in the black hole as always, and don't have Hickey, Dougthy, Teubert..

HUN_mikee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUN_mikee View Post
yes, and we would be in the black hole as always, and don't have Hickey, Dougthy, Teubert..
Actually Teubert was a black hole pick....So he would have probably still been selected.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:09 AM
treason47

Send a message via AIM to treason47
It's tradition in LA to move capable goaltenders in favor of the wash ups or the could've beens in goal. I knew all along that it was a negligent move to lose Garon, especially the way we did. Garon may not be what most fans see as a true #1 like Brodeur or Nabokov, however I'm confident that Garon can notch 30+ wins as a 1a goalie. 1a meaning he's good enough to play as a starter and post decent numbers but it also means that there are better goaltenders out there. I'd say Garon is a 3-4 million a year netminder. 5 million is a bit high imo. Best of luck in the playoffs Garon and Lubo.

treason47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:26 AM
treason47

Send a message via AIM to treason47
Under Terry Murray our team defence should be improved/ing. This means that Jason will feel more confident coming out and challenging shooters which may help him minimize the damage done by those hefty rebounds. His movements have become more fluid and efficient this season. I refuse to give Labarbera props though because I know how easily we get jinxed here in Kings kountry.

D gotta watch out for back door and the front. Man-Man D so that when the pass goes cross ice to the weak side all our boyz aren't caught huddling around the puck on one side of the ice. Pick 'em an' stick 'em is what we say in our room. Means pick a forward, stay with him, and when the puck shows up stick him to the boards and leave him in a bad way. Finish every check.

Last edited by treason47: 10-17-2008 at 11:34 AM.
treason47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
I think Garon and Huet are a product of a more stable defensive system, as someone mentioned earlier. Not only that, you also get more exposure playing in eastern or canadian teams. So when the goalies do a decent job, you're much more likely to see it headlined.
The Oilers were terrible defensively last season.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 12:34 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
This is not hindsight - Garon was right in front of DL the first day he got here, and he proceeded to tell us that Cloutier was better.

Garon stole games when he was here, period. What that means is: HE WAS THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IN MANY GAMES THAT THEY ACTUALLY WON.

Garon played GREAT when he was here, his play is no new news in Edmonton. The system fit him better? He played over .500 behind our **** defense. What else do you need? He got serious?

please... DL just sucked this one big time (and cost the team a few more picks [assets] to boot)
And then Garon would throw it in and suck towards the end of the season and the Kings would be in the black hole. Labs is fine. Why is this even a discussion?

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by treason47 View Post
I'm confident that Garon can notch 30+ wins as a 1a goalie.
Like he did for us? In 2005-06?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=19319

I wouldn't stay either if a team picked up Cloutier over me either. I hope Garon has nothing but success. Unless it's against the Kings then I hope he plays like Cloutier.

Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
AKEO

As on Oiler fan, I am extremely happy we have Garon on the Oilers, he has stolen more then his fair share of games for us last year, even this year he stole the first game, and the first half of the second game for us. But you guys have a very promising goaltender in Bernier coming up.

AKEO is offline   Reply With Quote