HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Did Slats sign the right guy? Quick Poll...

Old
10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
gravytrain6t

vCash: 500
Did Slats sign the right guy? Quick Poll...

Just curious who fans would rather see wearing a Rangers jersey right now. Naslund or Avery? If this poll was taken on the boards of any other NHL team I believe the obvious choice is Naslund. As for Avery. He is born to play on a team like the Rangers. In no other city is the spotlight bigger, he loves playing for an original 6 (except for Montreal I believe), he loves living in NYC and he feeds off the Garden Crowd like no one else. My vote is for Avery. But if I was starting this thread on the Stars board, I would go with Naslund.

If this topic was discussed a lot during the summer, I apologize. I was just curious who fans would rather have.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:26 PM
bcrt2000

Neither, the correct answer is not signing Rozi, Nazzy or Avery and re-signing Jagr. With the toughness our team is showing between Voros, Dubinsky and Mara, I think Jags would have been better protected this year.

Avery is starting to act up in Dallas off the ice way more than I remember him doing in New York and Voros seems to be a very good replacement for him and a good fit with the future of our franchise in Dubi and Zherdev.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
You can't compare the two. If the contracts were the same, then you can ask did he sign the right guy.

10-17-2008, 03:27 PM
tjs252

Avery's style of play made the years he was asking for really concerning. Naslund was a bad idea off the bat.

I'd rather have neither and have kept Jagr.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:30 PM
segmentation fault

And Jagr on the line would have been just as productive...

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:34 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I never considered Jagr an option, it was time to move on. Probably say the say about Avery.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Your Dang Tyutin

Naslund for a one year deal wouldn't be that bad. I can't see him being more than a 3rd liner next season if everyone keeps developing as well as they are.

Your Dang Tyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:36 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Avery wasnt looking for a two year deal.

Theres your answer right there.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
And Jagr on the line would have been just as productive...
why not? YOu could have had lines of

somebody-Dubi-Jagr
Drury-Gomez-Zherdev

sounds much better than what we have right now.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrt2000 View Post
Neither, the correct answer is not signing Rozi, Nazzy or Avery and re-signing Jagr. With the toughness our team is showing between Voros, Dubinsky and Mara, I think Jags would have been better protected this year.

Avery is starting to act up in Dallas off the ice way more than I remember him doing in New York and Voros seems to be a very good replacement for him and a good fit with the future of our franchise in Dubi and Zherdev.
And you realize that resigning Jagr would have meant Z, Dubi and Voros would have never lined up together, right?

Naslund hasn't been great, but 6 games is a little quick to give up on someone.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 03:45 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I never considered Jagr an option, it was time to move on.
05-06:
MVP - check
Scoring Leader - check
Playoff Beast - nope

06-07:
MVP - tie with Hank
Scoring Leader - check
Playoff Beast - yes

07-08:
MVP - nope
Scoring Leader - check
Playoff Beast - not only a beast, he was a MONSTER

Dunno how having 2 great regular seasons/1 ok regular season and 2 great playoffs in the last 3 years qualified him as someone that needed to be let go of. Especially considering the Nazzy, Rissmiller and Rozi contracts.

Old
10-17-2008, 03:50 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
And you realize that resigning Jagr would have meant Z, Dubi and Voros would have never lined up together, right?

Naslund hasn't been great, but 6 games is a little quick to give up on someone.
Voros was a fluke to be matched up with Dubi anyway, and Voros is an LW while Jags is an RW. The chemistry has been mostly Voros/Dubi. Zherdev hasn't picked it up yet, he would probably be doing just as good as with Naslund/Gomez.

Not necessarily giving up on Naslund, but I never agreed with Slats not even trying to hammer out a 2 year deal with Jagr while offering multi-year deals to Nazzy, Redden and Rozi. Looks like I may be wrong on Redden though.

Old
10-17-2008, 03:54 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Voros was a fluke to be matched up with Dubi anyway, and Voros is an LW while Jags is an RW. The chemistry has been mostly Voros/Dubi. Zherdev hasn't picked it up yet, he would probably be doing just as good as with Naslund/Gomez.

Not necessarily giving up on Naslund, but I never agreed with Slats not even trying to hammer out a 2 year deal with Jagr while offering multi-year deals to Nazzy, Redden and Rozi. Looks like I may be wrong on Redden though.
Sather had to let Jagr go to cover up for the crap decisions in signing Gomez and Drury at the same time. This had to become their team sometime so he chose now to do it. I understand and that makes me resent Captain Cash and his paycheck (and lack of points) even more.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Sather had to let Jagr go to cover up for the crap decisions in signing Gomez and Drury at the same time. This had to become their team sometime so he chose now to do it. I understand and that makes me resent Captain Cash and his paycheck (and lack of points) even more.
In fact, a better question might be "Jagr or Drury?"

Old
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
bumrusherer

In April, Naslund will be the clear choice IMO. You cant get down on him to this extent because of a week of Hockey.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Thats just the beginning....

Old
10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

I would have liked to have Jagr back as well. They could've moved Zherdev to the left wing and kept Dubinsky at center. Then Gomez could center Drury and maybe Fritche on the second line. Third line: I liked the chemistry going between Korpokoski, Callahan and Prucha.

But maybe Jagr had his mind set on Siberia any way. I remember Jags saying he had to sit down wit his parents (who always had such a big influence on his hockey career) and discuss if he wanted to go back near his home country and play for another year and then probably hang em up. When he mentioned going back to Czech Rep. and talking with his parents, I really had the feeling that his NHL career was over no matter what Sather came up with.

Old
10-17-2008, 04:12 PM
NYR Viper

if avery didnt want a 4 year deal with a NTC then i wouldve said yes to him....but i like naslund....give him a little while and i think he will be fine

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Melrose_Jr.

I think Jagr would have stayed for the right contract. The way the CBA is structured for players over 35 on multi-year deals, I'm not sure any team would have given it to him.

Jagr could have had it his way on a 1 year deal. The Rangers probably then sign Sundin to a 1 year deal and you hope they catch lightning in a bottle. Question is, are you then able to field a defense capable of winning a Cup?

As for the quick poll, Naslund vs. Avery, Naslund all day. The guy isn't Jagr, so all the alarmists just need to relax and expect him to go through dry spells and windfalls, all leading up to a reasonable offensive output at the end of the year. Besides, I can't say I'm seeing a huge void in the team's performance without Avery. Voros is already better defensively, takes fewer stupid penalties, has shown he's got comparable offensive talent and costs $2.75M less.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I think Jagr would have stayed for the right contract. The way the CBA is structured for players over 35 on multi-year deals, I'm not sure any team would have given it to him.

Jagr could have had it his way on a 1 year deal. The Rangers probably then sign Sundin to a 1 year deal and you hope they catch lightning in a bottle. Question is, are you then able to field a defense capable of winning a Cup?

As for the quick poll, Naslund vs. Avery, Naslund all day. The guy isn't Jagr, so all the alarmists just need to relax and expect him to go through dry spells and windfalls, all leading up to a reasonable offensive output at the end of the year. Besides, I can't say I'm seeing a huge void in the team's performance without Avery. Voros is already better defensively, takes fewer stupid penalties, has shown he's got comparable offensive talent and costs $2.75M less.
Thats exactly where i'm coming from saying he was never an option.

Old
10-17-2008, 05:16 PM
czechmate25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I would have liked to have Jagr back as well. They could've moved Zherdev to the left wing and kept Dubinsky at center. Then Gomez could center Drury and maybe Fritche on the second line. Third line: I liked the chemistry going between Korpokoski, Callahan and Prucha.

But maybe Jagr had his mind set on Siberia any way. I remember Jags saying he had to sit down wit his parents (who always had such a big influence on his hockey career) and discuss if he wanted to go back near his home country and play for another year and then probably hang em up. When he mentioned going back to Czech Rep. and talking with his parents, I really had the feeling that his NHL career was over no matter what Sather came up with.

It isn't even worth talking about now b/c it's not happening but a line of Zherdev-Dubi-Jagr would have been sweet!

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
It isn't even worth talking about now b/c it's not happening but a line of Zherdev-Dubi-Jagr would have been sweet!
Of course you could say that if they brought back Jagr, they would not have traded for Zherdev.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 06:04 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

What is the CBA?

Old
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
What is the CBA?
The Collective Bargaining Agreement. It states that any player over 35 years old will have their cap hit applied regardless of whether they honor the contract or not, even if assigned to LTIR. (long term injured reserve)

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Blueshirt Special

I loved Avery while he was here but I never figured on him for the long term. I doubt he'll stay in hockey much more than another 2 years. The is just not durable, modest talent, and he wants to be a movie star. The NHL is just a stepping stone for him.

I'm sure as hell not ready to throw Naz under the bus. That's premature guys. He may have a bunch of important goals for us sometime during the course of the season.

Jags? Come'on, give it up. It's over move on. We're 5-1 for crissake.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote