HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Chris Higgins is a KEEPER!!!

Old
10-17-2008, 04:00 PM
plafleur10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I try not to get too worked up about the fate of third line wingers.

I try not to get too worked up about this third line stuff.

He is playing his 1st game after missing most of training camp and this is normal.The season is long and a game does not make a season.

Plus Habs now have three offensive lines and whichever plays better on any given night will end up getting the ice time they deserve.

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
First, every player get his share of "trade" talks, Kovy, Koivu, Latendresse, A Kostitsyn (remember?), Pleks (the same year that everyone wanted AK gone) all of the bottom line players, Bouillon, Halak (of course)... the only ones who weren't consider and been with the team for more than a year are Markov and Komi (he'll probably be next if he isn't sign by the deadline), so it's not like Higgins is getting an unfair treatment, it's just habs fans...

Second, it's not that people don't like Higgins, except a few lunatics, everyone agree Higgins is a good player, but some feel we could get a star player in a package of Higgins +... it's only business...

Third... STOP referring to Higgins as a 40 goals scorer potential (by, exemple, saying he could have score 15 more goals if...). There are very few players who can score 40 goals and to have that potential, you have to be a very special player (either of incredible raw talent like AK or someone who dominated every level before the NHL, which Higgins hasn't done). Higgins has the potential to be a solid 30 goals scorer... if he achieves that and proves he could get to the next level... only then, can we talk about 40... stop overrating him... it's one of the reasons why some people want to trade him... they feel he's underachieving, which is false, he's already a very solid nhler.
That sir is an EXCELLENT point.
He is so over-hyped by everyone that they expect 40 so when he doesnt get it...he sucks?
From Higgins, you can expect 25-30 goals. That imo, is plenty. If he can give me that year in and year out along with the assist he racks up, I see no problem.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I try not to get too worked up about this third line stuff.

He is playing his 1st game after missing most of training camp and this is normal.The season is long and a game does not make a season.

Plus Habs now have three offensive lines and whichever plays better on any given night will end up getting the ice time they deserve.
I fully agree with you, I was just being a smartass.

For what it's worth though, I don't think a line of Higgins-Lang-SK will lack anything on Lats-SK-Tanguay.

Higgins, IMHO, strenghtens the third line to the level of the second.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:05 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Everyone is a keeper in our top 9.

We have a lot of other assets to trade for that responsible center I'd like Bob to get. You know, some old codger that comes in & plays on the 4th line then gets 16 mins a game come playoff time. A Smolinski...but better. More better.

Edit: Malhotra is exactly who we need. While he doesn't have much playoff experience, and is hardly a codger, he'll do. Oh...he'll do.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-17-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Fido22

We are getting so greedy!

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Nails Jenkins

Quote:
stop overrating him... it's one of the reasons why some people want to trade him... they feel he's underachieving, which is false, he's already a very solid nhler.
Exactly. So many fans are expecting more than what Higgy brings to the table. He's not a first line guy and everyone needs to start accepting that.

He's fast, responsible with and without the puck, has decent skill, plays with passion and is a leader.

If he's traded for the better of the team, so be it, but this is the type of guy I want on my roster because you know you're going to get a solid effort from him everyday. Plus he's been a Habs fan his entire life! What's not to like? (other than bloated expectations)

Nails Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:15 PM
ReVeuF

If Higgins get traded, it must be for a 4th defense, anything else is bad. I am against a Higgins-Mcdonagh-1st pick trade vs Gaborik.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:16 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I am getting sick and tired of the trade rumors involving Chris Higgins.

Can’t the poor guy be left alone at once!

He supposedly had a bad season last year, but yet he potted 27 goals and with a little luck he would have scored 15 more, given all the opportunities he just missed.

He’s still young, has plenty of talent, skates like the wind, has tons of leadership, is responsible at both ends of the rink, enjoys Montreal, loves the Habs since he’s young, never complains and is a great bargain at around 1.5 Million$.

With half our team going UFA at the end of the year, who in his right mind would trade a guy like this? On the contrary, he should be one of the cornerstones of our franchise for the next several years!

PS: BTW, all the above reasons are why the other teams in the league keep asking for him in any talks with the Habs!
+1
I have been on this band wagon since his first game here in MTL.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:17 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
First, every player get his share of "trade" talks, Kovy, Koivu, Latendresse, A Kostitsyn (remember?), Pleks (the same year that everyone wanted AK gone) all of the bottom line players, Bouillon, Halak (of course)... the only ones who weren't consider and been with the team for more than a year are Markov and Komi (he'll probably be next if he isn't sign by the deadline), so it's not like Higgins is getting an unfair treatment, it's just habs fans...

Second, it's not that people don't like Higgins, except a few lunatics, everyone agree Higgins is a good player, but some feel we could get a star player in a package of Higgins +... it's only business...

Third... STOP referring to Higgins as a 40 goals scorer potential (by, exemple, saying he could have score 15 more goals if...). There are very few players who can score 40 goals and to have that potential, you have to be a very special player (either of incredible raw talent like AK or someone who dominated every level before the NHL, which Higgins hasn't done). Higgins has the potential to be a solid 30 goals scorer... if he achieves that and proves he could get to the next level... only then, can we talk about 40... stop overrating him... it's one of the reasons why some people want to trade him... they feel he's underachieving, which is false, he's already a very solid nhler.
good post......your third point though, I see it alittle different. CH had 27 goals last year, hit 8 posts that I can remember, so yeah could'a/should'a 35.
If your saying CH potential is as a 30 goal scorer I'd say your underrating him......M Ryder was a 30 goal scorer and I see CH as sooooo much more than "just" a 30 goal scorer in the MRyder mold.

40 goals with Tangs & Saku is not out of the question. But until he does it people will continue to say he can't or wait and see. Maybe I'm too optimistic but I can see 36-40 this year.

I will say this as far as a trade goes.......if Bob is willing to trade Iginla, given the right package, CH could be moved.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
JTWymanFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
He is so over-hyped by everyone that they expect 40 so when he doesnt get it...he sucks?
From Higgins, you can expect 25-30 goals. That imo, is plenty. If he can give me that year in and year out along with the assist he racks up, I see no problem.

It's funny because if you count his 14 posts he hit last year as goals he becomes a 40 goal scorer. Just saying.

Great minds think alike !!!

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
ReVeuF

Higgins is better than Ryder, no doubt, he will have a 30 goal season soon enough.

In fact Higgins is much much better than Ryder when you see his defensive play.

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Higgins was three posts away from being a 30 goal scorer, at 24, but his potential is 30 goals?

We got three people on our team with the potential to score 40 goals a season: Andrei Kostitsyn, Chris Higgins and Alex Kovalev. Will Chris and Andrei ever make it? Who knows, injuries suck. However, on a good line, with the way he keeps improving, he can easily be a 30 goal scorer, and 40 is not out of the way.

And wait, you have to be a very special player? Ummm... what was special about Jason Blake?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Beakermania*

Every player hitsposts... you can't magically add all the posts to his goal total...

Don't Lang and Kovy have two each so far.

That said Chris has improved every year in the NHL... I see no reason why that improvement will stop.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Corey

Are the ones who want to trade Chris Higgins for player X (they name Gaborik, but I think they'd consider almost anyone) also in favor of trading Jaroslav Halak for José Théodore? They think they're serious about trying to help the Habs but in their idle speculation they're just flapping their gums and drooling. They want to take on expense that would cripple Gainey's flexibility for years. Sure, Marian Gaborik is highly gifted, far more so than Higgins, but what if he werer to come to Montréal and then become disillusioned? It could happen, and then he'd be an unaffordable albatross.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Kriss E

I agree, he's a very good asset and I've said many times, Im sure the Habs see him and Komi as the future leaders of this team. So I don't think they're willing to trade him, especially not for an UFA.
If Gainey said no to Hossa last year, don't see why he'd say yes to Gabo now.

Higgins might have become an expandable asset at the moment, we do have a lot of wingers, but I don't think he'll be traded for a rental.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Higgins is mentioned in so many trade proposal not because peoples want to get rid of him, but because they see him as a easily movable asset. A lot of teams would be interest by a guy like him, because he's very versatile, young and cheap. Also, people don't feel he's essential to the team compared to his teammate of the same category. Nobody wants to separate the Kostitsyns, Plekanec is almost untouchable (unless what come back is even better forward), Latendresse doesn't have enough value by himself. The rest of the top 9 are UFAs who are too expensive to be interesting trade bait (plus, trading UFA is bad karma).

The point being: if you want to upgrade the habs top9 with a trade, you'll have to give something of value back, and Higgins would be a good fit considering his talent and salary.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
It's funny because if you count his 14 posts he hit last year as goals he becomes a 40 goal scorer. Just saying.

Great minds think alike !!!
posts are part of the game.
Everyone hits them.
Using the post logic, Ovechkin can score 75-80 goals.

Old
10-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
posts are part of the game.
Everyone hits them.
Using the post logic, Ovechkin can score 75-80 goals.
Ovy certainly could. There are tons of factors working against him (Guys will gun for him and trap him a lot more, he could get injured, etc.) but there are also things working for him (NHL planning to decrease goalie equipment and possibly F up the game with bigger nets) that will open the what, 23 year old? To 75 goals.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Ovy certainly could. There are tons of factors working against him (Guys will gun for him and trap him a lot more, he could get injured, etc.) but there are also things working for him (NHL planning to decrease goalie equipment and possibly F up the game with bigger nets) that will open the what, 23 year old? To 75 goals.
Dont get me wrong, I believe Ovy can get to 75. I meant to say last season he should have had 75-80 goals.

Using the post argument is weak. Its part of the game and every player loses out on a few goals because of it.

Obviously Higgins misses out more then others but c'est la vie!

Old
10-17-2008, 04:44 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
The only thing that makes me think that higgins is our best bargaining chip is the fact that other GMs want him... and in a way, sometimes I have a feeling he is overrated by them as well... personally, I don't think higgins will ever rack up 75 or 80 pts ...

but, In my humble opinion, he is a very good player... no one in their right mind would want to see him leave...

He doesnt have a great finish... but what he can bring to the table wont be affected no matter with who he plays (between koivu-tanguay, and lang-s.kos.) . In fact, I think he is worth more on our ''3rd'' line because of his quickness, his puck carrying abilities, his defensive abilities , his grit, his chemistry with s.kos and his eye for a goal... what makes him a good player is the fact that he has a very complete set of skills, that can be adapted to different roles... his versatility is valuable...

I don't want to see him leave, but with pacioretty, maxwell and dagostini waiting in hamiltion... its not completely far fetched to think that higgins his in the middle of trade discussions... he has a high value... other gms like him ... so do we.

while I wouldn't let him go for cheap, I think we don't need to be shoked and offended by the fact that ppl see him as a good trade bait... come on, stop crying now..

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheCH*

Higgins hasn't peaked yet, definitely a keeper.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
and think if Ovy could get an Adam Oates type of center dishing him the puck like Hull had. Look out.

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Kachino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJCOLLINS View Post
and think if Ovy could get an Adam Oates type of center dishing him the puck like Hull had. Look out.
Nicklas Backstrom in a couple of years?

Kachino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
The only thing that makes me think that higgins is our best bargaining chip is the fact that other GMs want him... and in a way, sometimes I have a feeling he is overrated by them as well... personally, I don't think higgins will ever rack up 75 or 80 pts ...

but, In my humble opinion, he is a very good player... no one in their right mind would want to see him leave...

He doesnt have a great finish... but what he can bring to the table wont be affected no matter with who he plays (between koivu-tanguay, and lang-s.kos.) . In fact, I think he is worth more on our ''3rd'' line because of his quickness, his puck carrying abilities, his defensive abilities , his grit, his chemistry with s.kos and his eye for a goal... what makes him a good player is the fact that he has a very complete set of skills, that can be adapted to different roles... his versatility is valuable...

I don't want to see him leave, but with pacioretty, maxwell and dagostini waiting in hamiltion... its not completely far fetched to think that higgins his in the middle of trade discussions... he has a high value... other gms like him ... so do we.

while I wouldn't let him go for cheap, I think we don't need to be shoked and offended by the fact that ppl see him as a good trade bait... come on, stop crying now..

whos crying?
I said, I gave up a long time ago trying to defend him.
All the rumors dont bother me anymore. Iknow that its BG in charge and he loves Higgins. Higgins wont go unless something huge is comming this way.

Old
10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Haddock

I'M crying! I'm just going to come out and say it: I have a huge man-crush on both Mike Komisarek and Chris Higgins. If one of them were to leave town through a trade or free agency I think my heart would break.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote