HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Higgins is a KEEPER!!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
  #51
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Using the post argument is weak. Its part of the game and every player loses out on a few goals because of it.

Obviously Higgins misses out more then others but c'est la vie!
Ah.

Well I agree with that, then. The problem with posts is that sometimes, guys will hit it but that doesn't mean they were going to score. They were shooting on bad angles.

However, the amount of times Higgins whisks it into the post is more often than the amount of times he whisks it into the boards. He has an accurate shot, it just doesn't always go in.

Higgins hitting the post has been memorable to us as Hab fans, but it seriously shouldn't be a knock on our third best goal scorer of last season.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 04:58 PM
  #52
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,606
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Ah.

Well I agree with that, then. The problem with posts is that sometimes, guys will hit it but that doesn't mean they were going to score. They were shooting on bad angles.

However, the amount of times Higgins whisks it into the post is more often than the amount of times he whisks it into the boards. He has an accurate shot, it just doesn't always go in.

Higgins hitting the post has been memorable to us as Hab fans, but it seriously shouldn't be a knock on our third best goal scorer of last season.
Its not a knock. In fact, I think its a positive. Him hitting the posts or missing wide tells me that he aims for the corners of the net like all great goal scorers do.
I much rather see a guy shoot for the opening and miss then hit the goalie on the crest of his jersey.
i cant tell you how frustrated I get when one of my players hits the goalie square in the middle of the chest. Its a wasted chance for ntohing.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:00 PM
  #53
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
Its not a knock. In fact, I think its a positive. Him hitting the posts or missing wide tells me that he aims for the corners of the net like all great goal scorers do.
I much rather see a guy shoot for the opening and miss then hit the goalie on the crest of his jersey.
i cant tell you how frustrated I get when one of my players hits the goalie square in the middle of the chest. Its a wasted chance for ntohing.
I agree... the shot into the goalies chest is the worst.

The post doesn't count on a shot on goal and the chest does... but the post is more dangerous IMO.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:09 PM
  #54
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Higgins is mentioned in so many trade proposal not because peoples want to get rid of him, but because they see him as a easily movable asset. A lot of teams would be interest by a guy like him, because he's very versatile, young and cheap. Also, people don't feel he's essential to the team compared to his teammate of the same category. Nobody wants to separate the Kostitsyns, Plekanec is almost untouchable (unless what come back is even better forward), Latendresse doesn't have enough value by himself. The rest of the top 9 are UFAs who are too expensive to be interesting trade bait (plus, trading UFA is bad karma).

The point being: if you want to upgrade the habs top9 with a trade, you'll have to give something of value back, and Higgins would be a good fit considering his talent and salary.
Amen !

I am a very big fan of Higgins , but also think that he's the most easily movable asset of the Habs , so i am not frustrated when i see his name in trade rumour .

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:22 PM
  #55
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Let me make one other point:

If a trade deadline offer for a UFA Marian Hossa gets balked at when Atlanta asks for Christopher Higgins, where in the hell do you get the idea that Gainey would instead toss him out for Marian Gaborik?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:29 PM
  #56
kostitsyn1489
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Louiseville, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,447
vCash: 500
From a 4th liner at best t a franchise player to a guy hat cant score to a trade bait.

Gotta love the media.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:34 PM
  #57
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
From a 4th liner at best t a franchise player to a guy hat cant score to a trade bait.

Gotta love the media.
???????

goalchenyuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:36 PM
  #58
Haddock
Registered User
 
Haddock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Moulinsart
Posts: 2,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
???????
I think he partyed too much during the Festival de la galette de sarrasin!

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:37 PM
  #59
plafleur10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fido22 View Post
I fully agree with you, I was just being a smartass.

For what it's worth though, I don't think a line of Higgins-Lang-SK will lack anything on Lats-SK-Tanguay.

Higgins, IMHO, strenghtens the third line to the level of the second.
Exactly.I agree 100%

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:41 PM
  #60
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plafleur10 View Post
I am getting sick and tired of the trade rumors involving Chris Higgins.

Can’t the poor guy be left alone at once!

He supposedly had a bad season last year, but yet he potted 27 goals and with a little luck he would have scored 15 more, given all the opportunities he just missed.

He’s still young, has plenty of talent, skates like the wind, has tons of leadership, is responsible at both ends of the rink, enjoys Montreal, loves the Habs since he’s young, never complains and is a great bargain at around 1.5 Million$.

With half our team going UFA at the end of the year, who in his right mind would trade a guy like this? On the contrary, he should be one of the cornerstones of our franchise for the next several years!

PS: BTW, all the above reasons are why the other teams in the league keep asking for him in any talks with the Habs!
most knowledgeable observers would agree with this. Given that Gainey is one of them I don't see Higgins going anywhere.

Those that throw Higgins carelessly into trade discussions, even the likes of Steve Simmons, are simply showing a lack of appreciation for what this player brings.

Gainey will watch the likes of Streit and Ryder walk away in the name of keeping players like Higgins in the fold during their most productive years.

Focusing on Higgins missed opportunities is small thinking.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:46 PM
  #61
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100th View Post
Amen !

I am a very big fan of Higgins , but also think that he's the most easily movable asset of the Habs , so i am not frustrated when i see his name in trade rumour .
A teams best players usually are.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:48 PM
  #62
plafleur10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
whos crying?
I said, I gave up a long time ago trying to defend him.
All the rumors dont bother me anymore. Iknow that its BG in charge and he loves Higgins. Higgins wont go unless something huge is comming this way.
I agree with you Bob Gainey has every reason to like him.

However, at times last year, I got the feeling that Carbo is not his greatest fan.

Like, during that period where Carbo kept hinting to the press he sees Higgins as a power forward who does not play like one...

In my mind, this is miscasting Chris Higgins, and I hope Carbo is off the "Chris Higgins is a power forward" bandwagon...

plafleur10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
  #63
THE HOFF
Registered User
 
THE HOFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee96 View Post
whos crying?
I said, I gave up a long time ago trying to defend him.
All the rumors dont bother me anymore. Iknow that its BG in charge and he loves Higgins. Higgins wont go unless something huge is comming this way.



I love higgins too man... im just saying don't be shocked to see him in trade discussions... he's a good player, and other gms like him... it makes him an instant target for any trade proposal...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 06:42 PM
  #64
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Who involved him in a trade proposal? I haven't seen it anywhere...

To be honest, last year, I hated Higgins because I was not accepting what he was bringing to the team because I wanted him to bury on all his scoring chances... and I was frustrated at times because so many guys were overating him (comparing him to Iginla).

However, in the end, Chris is a valuable, speedy, forechecking player able to do a lot of things. I just think he has been put under heavy pressure last year to produce, and he just didn't play his game like he used to.

I made a promise to myself, not to watch Higgins' stats this year, and try to evaluate him on his play on the ice. Higgins is like the "free" case on a bingo card : You can ask him anything and he'll be able to do it effectively. He just has to remember what he does well, and build on it. He'll rack up the points fast enough.

I'd not trade him right now. My philosophy changed a little bit after having seen the Penguins trade for Marian Hossa last year, to end up with nothing after the offseason. Our offense needs no change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
Nicklas Backstrom in a couple of years?
Ovechkin made a 60 pts player out of Daniel Zubrus... And a 30 goals scorer out of Chris Clark. Not saying Backstrom is not good, but anybody would look good besides Ovechkin, and Backstrom may get a little overated here.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 07:21 PM
  #65
emb24*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
most knowledgeable observers would agree with this. Given that Gainey is one of them I don't see Higgins going anywhere.

Those that throw Higgins carelessly into trade discussions, even the likes of Steve Simmons, are simply showing a lack of appreciation for what this player brings.

Gainey will watch the likes of Streit and Ryder walk away in the name of keeping players like Higgins in the fold during their most productive years.

Focusing on Higgins missed opportunities is small thinking.
post of the year so far

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
  #66
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
To be honest, last year, I hated Higgins because I was not accepting what he was bringing to the team because I wanted him to bury on all his scoring chances... and I was frustrated at times because so many guys were overating him (comparing him to Iginla).
How you guys would have ever survived the 80's, I have no clue.

I mean, I was too young then, but when you look at players back then, guys like Gretzky would score 50 goals on 400 shots (not factual stat, just what I remember). I mean, there were a lot of guys firing the puck 300+ times and some of them wouldn't bury 50, they'd bury 30. There were some crazy shooters back then, and that wasn't with the defensive traps we have today. That's why goalies had such high GAA's back then, because they faced a barrage of shots and would eventually allow 3 or 4.

Higgins has a low shooting percentage due to the amount of shots he takes (11% last season) but I don't care how many chances he takes, as long as he buries. He buried 27 times. 27. That is, by no means, a bad number. Or even a good number. That's a great number. He was Top 50 last season in all NHL players. Better than Jagr. Better than St. Louis. Better than Zheredev. Better than Semin. Better than Getzlaf. Even with Horton. One goal less than Carter. Two goals less than Richards, Hossa and Dumont.

Think about that.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:38 PM
  #67
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
you people over-rate everyone just because they play for the Habs or have played for them.

Higgins has yet to crack the 30 goal mark, how about he does that 1st before you starting stating he has the potential to score 40.

Gaborik even injured scores more.
Gaborik has 30 or more goals 5 out of the 8 seasons he's played (he's in his 8Th season right now).

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
  #68
Lone Rogue
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
you people over-rate everyone just because they play for the Habs or have played for them.

Higgins has yet to crack the 30 goal mark, how about he does that 1st before you starting stating he has the potential to score 40.
You need to learn what "potential" means before you go about preaching on a soapbox.

Steven Stamkos doesn't even have 10 points, but would you say he doesn't have the potential to crack 80 points? 70 points? 60 points? 50 points? 40 points? 30 points? Feel stupid yet? 20 points? The 10 points he does not have yet?

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
  #69
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
You need to learn what "potential" means before you go about preaching on a soapbox.

Steven Stamkos doesn't even have 10 points, but would you say he doesn't have the potential to crack 80 points? 70 points? 60 points? 50 points? 40 points? 30 points? Feel stupid yet? 20 points? The 10 points he does not have yet?

27 goals to 40 is a huge jump for a player that can't hit the net on a consist basis. I never said Higgins doesn't have potential...he just doesn't have the potential to score 40.

Blinded by the light as usual.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:01 PM
  #70
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,278
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone is saying that Gaborik < Higgins here... well, I hope not. Higgins is a great player, but Gaborik is special.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:01 PM
  #71
Habruti!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
you people over-rate everyone just because they play for the Habs or have played for them.

Higgins has yet to crack the 30 goal mark, how about he does that 1st before you starting stating he has the potential to score 40.

Gaborik even injured scores more.
Gaborik has 30 or more goals 5 out of the 8 seasons he's played (he's in his 8Th season right now).
OK here are my thoughts arround this ...

Higgins in my favorite Hab after Komisarek and Price. Three guy who will IMO define the identity of our team for years to come. Is he tradable, yes, everyone is, would Gainey trade him... I doubt it. Last year Gainey did not want to touch the core of our team to acquire Hossa, Gaborik is no different IMO.

I would rather have a 30G scorer that play a 2way game at 3M then a 45G scorer at 8M+ considering that this 8M+ guy would be Gaborik...

We have Komi, Tanguay, Higgins, Kovalev, Koivu that will be UFA .. 8M to Gaborik does not leave a whole lot of wiggle room to sign the others...

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:04 PM
  #72
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
If +/- is any indication of how a player is on Off/Def then Gaborik is better.
He has a +/- of 51 compared to Higgins -12.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
  #73
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
27 goals to 40 is a huge jump for a player that can't hit the net on a consist basis. I never said Higgins doesn't have potential...he just doesn't have the potential to score 40.

Blinded by the light as usual.
Can't hit the net eh??? I wonder how many shots on goal Higgins would have if he could hit the net... considering he is already second on the team in shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
If +/- is any indication of how a player is on Off/Def then Gaborik is better.
He has a +/- of 51 compared to Higgins -12.
Plus/minus is a flawed stat.... the fact that the wild have been better than the habs over the course of their careers is a major factor in this... We've only been really good one year of Chris' career. Even in our other year the wild have been a much better 5 on 5 team.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:24 PM
  #74
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again
 
chaosrevolver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,082
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
If +/- is any indication of how a player is on Off/Def then Gaborik is better.
He has a +/- of 51 compared to Higgins -12.
Well here's the thing between Higgins vs Gaborik.

In terms of offense in the past two seasons...

GABORIK / HIGGINS

GM: 125/143
G: 72/49
A: 68/41
P: 140/90
TOI: 19:36/17:56


Im pretty sure we can all agree that Gaborik is much, MUCH better offensively than Higgins, and it isn't even close.

However, on the defensive side....

Giveaways: 116/37
Takeaways: 58/91
Blocked Shots: 25/101
Hits: 81/111


Higgins wipes the floor with Gaborik on the defensive side and in my opinion, Chris is very underrated in his own end.

Id rather keep Chris to be honest instead of moving him along with a prospect like McDonagh or Chipchura then take in Gaborik.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 09:31 PM
  #75
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
I believe some people just love to play devils advocate just to try and get a rise out of people here, redundant actually.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.