HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier vs. Johnson

View Poll Results: Who would you trade (if you had to)?
Jack Johnson 23 48.94%
Jonathan Bernier 24 51.06%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-31-2008, 02:10 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

vCash: 500
Bernier vs. Johnson

So,... I can ramble incessantly about cap management, tradeable assets, true value and the like and explain why I think we'll see DL, at some point in the near future, trade one of our core pieces in order to move a potentially large salary that will allow him to manage the cap with a stronger flexibility that will be required to take this team where he wants to take it. And I could explain how Drew Doughty has... changed things. And I'd explain how we shouldn't fall in love with our assets because we won't keep them all...

But I wont. Instead, I'll just ask the question.

IF you had to trade ONE... at the trading deadline or at the draft (use your imagination)... who would you trade? (And for those that swear by the purple & black and don't think this is a strong possiblity, just ignore the thread. The possibility is out there and DL just might have to do it.

Use your vision to balance potential value with current value, with need over demand, with cap reprocussions, with how they fit our future given what's in the pipeline now.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Quattro

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:22 PM
DeeMeck

It is waaaay too hypothetical. There is no need to trade either one, and I don't think there is a realistic possibility of either being traded.

You'd be better off with a Moller/Hickey poll....but even that wouldn't happen except for in a blockbuster for Kovy or someone...

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Zizou
Dont Mix Your Drinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
It is waaaay too hypothetical. There is no need to trade either one, and I don't think there is a realistic possibility of either being traded.
No, there is no need. We don't have a goalie in the pipeline outside of Bernier who has the "franchise" label on him.

And Jack is the only defenseman in our system outside of God Doughty with bonafide star potential.

Also, both are in their entry level contracts. But the possibility is there because of their value and the fact that they could fetch what the Kings possibly need.

So, the question becomes... do you believe the Kings can afford Kopitar, Brown, O'Sullivan, Frolov, Doughty, Quincey, Moller, Purcell, Quick, Bernier, Johnson, Hickey, Teubert, Stoll, Simmonds, etc.. etc... if they all become what we expect them to become? At that point, you begin subtracting... and you have to choose... quality or quantity.

Zizou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 02:47 PM
DeeMeck

Most of your list of players are in the first year of entry-level deals. Their big long-term contracts don't have to be addressed for a few years.

By that time...some of the older guys like Frolov, Sully, Quincey, and Stoll will in all likelihood...have moved on. when they hit unrestricted free agency.

Now I am sure 1 or 2 may be retained...but Lombardi is still years away from having to pick and choose.

Also, not all of those guys are going to ever make more than 3 or 4 million per year. Unless, Simmonds, Moller, Quincey, or Stoll start having 40 goal seasons they are going to have manageable contracts with plenty of money to spare on the higher-priced talent.

Old
12-31-2008, 02:55 PM
santiclaws

This question is coming way, way too early. There's absolutely no need to trade either one now. A few years down the road it'll be a lot easier to determine who is more treadeable/valuable and when the team's needs are more apparent. I do not think DL trades either one for a few more years . Bernier becomes the obvious choice, for example, if Quick develops into a franchise goalie. Or Johnson, if he doesn't become a franchise, or even top pairing, defenseman.

santiclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Hey, I agree that Drew Doughty has changed things. No one thought we'd be that bad last year to draft someone this good. But as much I like Quincey, he doesn't have the potential upside of Jack Johnson. And I love the confidence that the organization has shown in Quick with the LaBarbera trade but, hey, he's no more a franchise goaltender than Fukufuji at this point. Quick's got great potential but let's see how he does in more than a handful of games.

I don't get why everyone wants to trade Bernier and Johnson right now. Jack was our best defenseman last season and had an unfortunate injury this season. Sure he didn't blow the roof out in his rookie campaign like Doughty has thus far but the guy was good. And Bernier is a young goaltender with only a little pro experience. Next to Doughty, Bernier is our most important prospect at this point.

The point is we do not have a cap space problem anytime soon. By the time Doughty, Moller and Simmonds' entry-level deals are done, you have Handzus and Stoll off the books.

But to answer your hypothetical. If, for some bizarre reason, we had to trade a top prospect I'd still go with Hickey. I hope the return is decent.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 03:14 PM
DeeMeck

Preissing off the books too...

Old
12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Johnson. I'd rather part with a potential franchise defenseman (of which we have many) than a potential franchise goaltender. Goalies are just harder to find, and the jury is still out when it comes to Quick and even Ersberg.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 03:33 PM
Randart

Hypo-Thetically Speaking...

I love JMFJ... PERIODD! I only hope he comes back fully healthy and ready to rock. Let the real Jack Johnson loose an sit back cause its crunch time, Wooo Whoooo.

One of the most exciting guys at his age to be on the blue line, I love our young defense and he is a corner stone in my mind. He brings it every game thats why his shoulder is blown up through all those thunerous hits! The Doctor even said it was a long developing problem that finally gave way.

JB is still developing to a NHL level I hope he makes it he has a huge upside we all love too. Like so many have said I am so happy we won't be trading either one any time soon... Go Kings Go!!!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 03:47 PM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

Might as well make this "Kopitar vs. Bernier".

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
This decision is too premature. Both will have numerous chances to prove themselves further in the NHL before Dean even comes close to considering dealing them... Neither of these players have been given much time to develop/prove themselves in the NHL, if you trade them now you could get very little value back in return.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
JMFJ 3

I'd keep JMFJ, Bernier is more expendable IMO.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:11 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

We are deeper on D than in goal. Johnson, Doughty, Voynov, Teubert, Hickey, Martinez, Quincey... in goal we have Quick, Bernier and Zatkoff. If the choice is Johnson or Bernier - it's a no-brainer.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:38 PM
hans

Send a message via AIM to hans
I don't think there'd be much of a market for moving Bernier any time soon. Most teams already have their Bernier - maybe not a top-10 hockeysfuture prospect, but a guy they're confident will be their "goalie of the future". Couple that with the number of teams who already have 25-or-under NHL goalies - the Fleurys, Prices, Wards, Hardings, etc. Developing goaltenders just don't have a lot of trade value.

hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
It's obviously premature but it's a good question. With the abundance of d prospects, Johnson could be used to bring in a forward like Kovalchuk.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Martyros
Allow me to retort

it's a little too early for this imo. Bernier won't be a regular for probably another year unless he suddenly starts playing like Broduer. Jack Johnson will probably sign to a cheap extension this year and probably wouldn't get the "good" money for another 2-3years. therefore we still have 2 years AND their is a very unpredictable future. anything is possible, and i'd say Johnson has more value given that he is already in the NHL. like reaper said, Johnson should be involved in a deal to acquire Kovalchuk.

Martyros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:46 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Would you like to die the "Death of a Thousand Cuts" or by slow agonizing asphyxiation?

NEITHER THANK YOU!!!!!

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 09:30 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Neither, bit in a pinch I'd have to pick Bernier because I've heard he's an arrogant little *******.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 10:44 AM
yankeeking

Lets add in that we now need a bonafide 1-1a center to go with kopi. and if jmfj comes back and plays like last year, we hope it was crawford holding him back but how do we know, would you trade him for the chance to get tavares and be set up the middle for years. We are actually in a great position now we are close and have valuable assets that can be pkg. to finsh what we all want.......Just for the record if you don't think these guys may be traded see Goring,Dionne,Luc, not to mention Vachon or the GREAT ONE

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 02:12 PM
devilinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post
Neither, bit in a pinch I'd have to pick Bernier because I've heard he's an arrogant little *******.
so was patrick roy

devilinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 03:28 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
so was patrick roy
Good point.

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:27 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by TearsOFaClown View Post

and Jack isn't? at least a little?

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 03:31 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGSFANINTO View Post
so was patrick roy
fixed

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
Quattro

what is with all the thread bumping lately?

Quattro is online now   Reply With Quote