HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Matt Greene Signs a 5-Year, $14.75MM Contract Extension ($2.95MM per year)

Old
03-10-2009, 10:59 AM
TonySCV
One More Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Can you envision the contract negotiations with Jack Johnson this summer.

Knock, knock.

Lombardi says "Come in." Johnson and agent enter low lit room where Lombardi is watching the last 20 seconds of last nights game on a loop.

Use your imagination on how the rest of the conversation goes.
I was thinking he'd just show the photo, but video is fine too.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Cheap Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
You're simply never going to convince some people of the importance of a guy like Greene's contributions. Even after the guy puts his face in front of a puck to potentially save a goal/game.

Good thing is, that's not important in ANY way. What's important is that every King player is convinced.
You're right.... thats all that matters!! I'm glad to see that we have a team that understands the sacrificing part of the game!!!

Cheap Seats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
I hate to rain on your parade but you're no Einstein no matter how hard you try.

We're pretty much the 2nd youngest team in the NHL and you expect the Kings to put more youngsters like Boyle up in the bigs?

Purcell is starting to finally come around, same can be said for Sully last year. There is difference between a fan's perspective and a coach's, and what is means to build a team from within, something to Kings have pretty much never done the right way.

...and now, the Kings finally start to come together and play as a TEAM and for each other, and here you are pissing into the wind all by your lonesome.

I don't drink the Dean koolaid either but really, get over yourself and find the Kings fan you once were.
Sweet post. The Kings are headed in the right direction. If someone can't see this group coming together and play for each other, they're blind. Legionnaire has been beating this drum since the summer, and it's a real easy argument for him. If the Kings don't win the Stanley Cup with Lombardi's build, he can just sit back and say I told you so. In between that time, we will see him allude to the idea that he knows how to build a champion better than Dean Lombardi. Maybe in NHL09, but give it a break already. Very few of us believed we'd be having the season we did this year, who's to say we won't be in the 5,6,7 spot next year with nearly the same team? You can't, because you can't predict what this year has taught these players, how hungry they are going into the off season, or how much they still have to grow. Purcell could easily turn into a 30-30 guy as soon as next season, so you just never know. Be happy for this team, and enjoy some spirited hockey.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I don't follow blindly. That's the difference. Cap space matters. And Greene is overpaid and locked up for another 4 years where his skills and skating only going to decline. Great.
Ummm... with all the stats and "facts" you love to throw around, how did you come to this conclusion? The guy is 25 years old and you expect his skating and skills to regress. I don't see one shred of evidence to support that. I read the rest of your diatribe after that sentence and I probably should've just stopped after that line. I am all for varying opinions but that statement I quoted is completely unfounded. In fact, I'd wager to say that opposite is true but I admittedly hadn't seen a whole lot of Greene before this season.

The whole "pro-Lombardi" vs "anti-Lombardi" thing is getting old. There are a number of us around here who try and look at everything he does objectively. But of course, I'm "an idiot" because I disagree with what you say. That is just a tad pompous. If DL is the "smartest man in the room", you are the "smartest man on the boards". Congrats, you are just as egotistical as the man you despise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Greene isn't 35. He is 25 and entering his prime.
I couldn't believe it took this long for some to acknowledge that and it is the first line his ramblings. Unbelievable.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Brodie562

Quote:
I don't follow blindly. That's the difference. Cap space matters. And Greene is overpaid and locked up for another 4 years where his skills and skating only going to decline. Great.

Most of you lack any perspective when it comes to the Kings. It's always. "Matt Greene rules!" or "I like Zeus" "Stoll's great a faceoffs how lucky are we?" But the truth is these guys are all overpaid vets, that almost every team has, that are taking roster spots from younger players who need ice time at the NHL level to develop as well as keeping us from getting better players in those roles.

Look, if those guys are so great, why are we still going to miss the playoffs? Are you really going to blame the kids? Their fault? If that's the case, then this team should still be ACTIVELY rebuilt.

If those are the players that are going to be here long term, they better be damn well good enough to take us someplace, but they're not. And that's the God's honest truth.

Dean's turned us into the Sharks of old. That team was okay I guess. Bunch of hard hat guys who were gritty and worked hard, but bottom line is, that team wasn't even close to being good enough to contended. So what's our plan? Repeat San Jose's mistakes and rebuild for 10 MORE years and STILL not be good enough?

AND THEN you've got every Kings fan idiot (the same ones that disagree with me) starting trade proposals to trade away any prospect that hasn't set the world on fire.

You know the same idiots (same ones that are likely to quote this post) who thought that Brown was never going develop.

Or Cammalleri was just a one dimensional greedy little gremlin who shot too much..

Statline? 65 34g 33a 67pts

And people want Kovalchuck? When Cammalleri was "supposedly" traded for the very same reasons?

Yes. Kovalchuk is a much more dynamic player, but the Kings would have gotten a much better return on their dollar. Kovalchuk 7 and then some million after UFA or the little one at 5?

Oh, and O'Sullivan too? All of a sudden huh? He's not in the plans? Yeah. Headcase blah, blah, blah. What are Kovalchuk or Gaborik? Headcases!

I'll say it again. Bunch of followers. "In Dean we trust" has become the mantra for the brainwashed. If you're watching what's going on here and how this team is being built (Take whatever Dean says and reverse it) you've got to question this man's abilities. I'm a Kings fan, not a Dean fan, and there's a huge difference.

Best post on here in awhile and it's not surprising that it comes from you!

Agree on all points, some of you guys fail to give certain players credit for their game for really foolish reasons "Bunch of followers" fits them to a T.

I'm just not on board with were DL spends his all his cap space. I also question it

Brodie562 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Clueless, not at all. But I'm not going to go research **** to edify that kid. I did it once already and he didn't even bother to read the stats. So yeah. **** that. Don't quote my post if you haven't done the research yourself, and aren't familar with the rest of the NHL. It's not my job to do it for you. Tell me who they're not better than at that salary if you want...
If you are going to claim something, then you should be prepared to back it up, and not reply with "Go look it up yourself."

For example:

"Hey did you know that Sidney Crosby has a tail?"

"Whatever dude, you don't know what you are talking about. Where did you read that?"

"Go look it up yourself. I'm not doing your research for you."

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:05 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Clueless, not at all. But I'm not going to go research **** to edify that kid. I did it once already and he didn't even bother to read the stats. So yeah. **** that. Don't quote my post if you haven't done the research yourself, and aren't familar with the rest of the NHL. It's not my job to do it for you. Tell me who they're not better than at that salary if you want...
No I did read the stats. I also look at actual play as well as stats. Im also not the only one that sees Jordan Staal in the same way. You say that Greene is overpaid and others are better. Theres guys who lack the talent Greene does but are much more overpaid.

As far as his skills declining did you say the same about Norstrom or Miller when they hit 25 years old? What you fail to realize is guys whos skating skills arent that high to begin with dont lose all that much compared to those who do. Whether you like his salary or not Greene is a guy the Kings needed, a big physical body whos going to block shots and do the dirty work. Something they havent had the last few years when they absolutely sucked as a team.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562 View Post

Best post on here in awhile and it's not surprising that it comes from you!

Agree on all points, some of you guys fail to give certain players credit for their game for really foolish reasons "Bunch of followers" fits them to a T.

I'm just not on board with were DL spends his all his cap space. I also question it
Much like he does? He fails to give Greene, Stoll , Handzus any credit. All over paid vets who are tasking roster spots from younger guys? Who is Greene taking a spot from? Who is Stoll and Handzus taking a spot from. 2 guys in their prime and a guy at the end of it. in 2 years he'd be saying the same thing about Visnovsky. Hes an over paid vet whos taking a roster spot and keeping a younger guy from developing. The type of player Greene is what the Kings lack in the system. We saw how great this team played without a guy like that didnt we? People ***** about these guys like they ***** about everything else. People *****ed about Armstrong playing 2nd line center, now hes a 4th lien center and people are still *****ing.

Bottom line is the Kings are a much more balanced, much harder working team who compete and show up much more than they every did in the last 2 years. Guys like Stoll, Handzus, Greene provide more than points. They do the dirty work which is needed for teams to win. But hey if you guys want this team to go back to the last few years where it was unbalanced and they didnt show up theres plenty of teams like that to root for.

Old
03-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Much like he does? He fails to give Greene, Stoll , Handzus any credit. All over paid vets who are tasking roster spots from younger guys? Who is Greene taking a spot from? Who is Stoll and Handzus taking a spot from. 2 guys in their prime and a guy at the end of it. in 2 years he'd be saying the same thing about Visnovsky. Hes an over paid vet whos taking a roster spot and keeping a younger guy from developing. The type of player Greene is what the Kings lack in the system. We saw how great this team played without a guy like that didnt we? People ***** about these guys like they ***** about everything else. People *****ed about Armstrong playing 2nd line center, now hes a 4th lien center and people are still *****ing.

Bottom line is the Kings are a much more balanced, much harder working team who compete and show up much more than they every did in the last 2 years. Guys like Stoll, Handzus, Greene provide more than points. They do the dirty work which is needed for teams to win. But hey if you guys want this team to go back to the last few years where it was unbalanced and they didnt show up theres plenty of teams like that to root for.
They are overpaid, not by a whole lot but they are. And in the end those overpaid figures might hinder us from resigning key players that WE devoleped (FROLOV)

The way i see it is if youre gonna overpay players they should be guys that you drafted and developed (Lubo & Cammalleri) not guys that you trade for and give assest for (Cloutier, Stoll) or injured players.

I agree with the bolded but could that by any chance also be because of a better coaching staff?

Handzus is a god Loved him last year even while he was getting $*** on by the lot of you because didn't produce. funny how those little things he does were missed last year.

Brodie562 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The improvement in the end is worthless. During a rebuild the draft pick is much more important. Or didn't you learn that from the years under Andy Murray?
You know they could make a trade and move up in the draft if they felt that was necessary. I suppose losing for years and years and year is a better strategy.

Quote:
I always love this argument. If Kovy's so great, he'c make the team around him better the way Ovechkin did/does. It's always the fact that he couldn't find anyone to play with. Not true. He's the one who doesn't know how to play with other players.
Are you kidding me? Yeah look at Ovechkin's support cast and then look Kovalchuk's. You are going to tell me that Kovalchuk wouldn't help out 29 other teams in the league? Yeah sure they'd pass on him because he and Todd White couldn't take the Thrashers to the Cup. Unbelievable.

Quote:
Character doesn't replace suck. Sorry.
The guy has 40 points (good for 4th on the team while 11th in ATOI) and most likely will break 50 by the end of the season, is the best faceoff man on the team and 8th in the league, always takes the body (4th in hits on the team) and does all the other little things like blocks shots and plays on the PK and PP. What do you know our PP and PK are impoved (10th and 11th in the league respectively). Of course, you work in absolutes so Greene and Stoll either had everything to do with that or nothing at all. There is no middle ground there or credit to be given? It is all coach, not the players executing it. It is unbelievable to me that you really think that.

Quote:
Until the next losing streak. WAKE UP. This team is simply not good enough to compete with the upper echelon teams, so what if they improve how the hell are they going to win the cup?
Who is competing with the upper echelon of teams? Those 4 or 5 teams that make up that upper echelon? Don't tell me your that naive to believe that we should be competing with them already. And I'm assuming your logic is that we have to continue to build to get there. Well how do you know we aren't on the way to getting there?

Quote:
Yeah, okay. But there were better players taken ahead. And the stats bare out the facts that picking higher in the draft usually means the more talented player.
And does that equate to winning? That is what we care about... right? Ilya Kovalchuck was drafted 1st overall and Marian Gaborik was pretty high up there too. You had some choice words for them. One look at Columbus will tell you all you need to know about drafting high. Sure it is great but that doesn't always equate to success. We do care about winning right? Oh whoops, you're right, draft picks are what we care about.. this HF where real hockey talk goes on. [mod edit]

Quote:
No. That's not what I'm saying. But what I am saying is that those two are not good enough, to do enough, to help this team to make the playoffs but not bad enough to get us a FREE impact player.
They sure were good enough to help the 8th seed Oilers go to the Cup in 2006. Isn't that the ultimate goal? Or is getting an Ilya Kovalchuk in the draft more important?

Quote:
Yes. Every year there are very good teams that don't go all the way, but if you look at the ones that do (sans the Devils), they all have a couple of things in common -

A 1-2 punch at center. That's neither Stoll nor Handzus or really anyone in the system.

A number one D man. We have two potential ones but people are already ready to trade HIM away too.

A star goaltender. Quick? Bernier? If we're talkning the Devils model they better be.
And you expect this all to happen overnight?

Quote:
The Red Wings were built overnight if you want to get technical.

The 89 draft to be specific.
Holy ****! You really do? Lets be fair, the '89 draft helped them but they didn't win a Cup until 96-97 which was, gasp, 7 seasons later! Overnight huh?

Quote:
When those losing teams lose, they always say that they needed to improve in some area, well that's exactly what needs to be done here for the future. However, we are now locked in for years.
Yes there is no room here for improvement. Our CAP situation is grave. We have a load of unmovable contracts. DL is the only person in the league that would've traded for Greene and Stoll. What a sucker.

Quote:
You're right it took years, but we don't have the time (Salary Cap) or the tradition to do so in the same manner Detroit has.
The average age of the team is what.. in the mid 20's? Brown and Kopitar are locked up for multiple years. Detroit had plenty of turnover from these teams from year to year as they would go the Conference finals and lose etc. The main pieces are what stayed the same.

Quote:
You can't build the atmosphere in Detroit by being "almost" good enough. You must win the Cup in orders to get players to start coming here for hockey and not the lifestyle - see Gaborik, Marion
You mean the type of player (3rd overall pick) you advocate tanking for?

I think it is becoming more and more clear to me what Lombardi has been doing since he started here . For the most part, he has been bringing in players, coaches and the entire support cast to change the attitude in the entire organization. This isn't something that could happen overnight and I think last night was example of that in action. Yeah there have been the decisions like bringing back Blake which I think DL realizes now was a mistake. The intent was to have the team surrounded by former Kings and I think he realized why that might not always be a good idea after that. You think about other teams around the league and of course the Detroit example always comes up. We don't have the character guys they have already here so we've had to transplant them into the organization.

You know that job that Rob Blake was supposedly offered if he signed in the summer. Something tells me that same offer or something similar has been offered to O'Donnell for coming here and having such a positive influence on younger guys on this team and then commiting to another year. You hear Bob Miller say last night what an impact Handzus has had on a young player like Wayne Simmonds and it really makes sense why they have these guys around.

Quote:
And? Both are one dimensional goalscorers. Wasn't that the point of the trade? Or was it that he was greedy? Or both? How does Kovalchuk differ?
Both brought back assets to the team. In the case of Cammalleri, he was probably going to leave when he became a UFA so DL made a deal to bring in defensive depth to the reserve list. Something we have been sorely lacking. You already alluded to it's importance with the comment about JJ and Doughty.

And LOL.. you just compared Kovalchuck to Cammalleri. I don't even necessarily advocate at trade for him but there is no comparison there. Just go ahead and pull up some of those "stats" you enjoy.

O'Sullivan brought back a the type of player we drastically need. A proven goal scorer who will go to the net. Yes we had Cammalleri but let me reitirate, it was evident that he would more than likely be leaving after this season so we got something for him. For some reason, nobody can seem to come to terms with this. Lets also factor in JW makes what Cammalleri is making this year. If he returns to form (and that is a big if), he is a flat out steal at $3.5m per.

Quote:
Oh okay. So it's all been the other players that made Cammalleri better? When he's already proven to be capable without those players? Okay. That makes sense. So I guess he's just lucky that way. At least I know why we traded him we could have two "Lucky's".

And enough of the Kovalchuk excuses. He's a 50 goal scorer blah blah. He'd be a star if he had better players! Ha ha. No. Stars make the players around them better...not the other way around. Again, see his modest international play for proof.

AND Kovalchuk's defense is good? Really? Come on.

Answer me this. Why did Cammalleri get traded? Money or his overall game? I've heard both arguments for both sides but either way Kovalchuk is not an improvement in either of those areas.
Both probably. I believe the driving cause of his trade was the fact that he couldn't be re-signed. Just look and see what Gillis offers him in the summer to see what his worth really is.

I don't see how you can sit here and advocate keeping Cammalleri but then you admonish the possibility of acquring an obvectively superior talent like Kovalchuk. And I see your "star players make the players around them better" and raise you Todd ****ing White. Lets see, Jarome Iginla and Damon Langkow or Todd ****ing White and Bryan ****ing Little.

Quote:
His attitude? Yeah. He's got small man complex, but come on. NO worse than Kovy's sulking. Cammalleri's attitude problem stemmed from his questioning of Lombardi. That's no way to run an organization.
You sure have a very indiscriminate way of making excuses for people. God forbid Cammalleri go out and prove his worth but Ilya Kovalchuk doesn't get a reprieve for playing with Todd ****ing White.

Quote:
By the way, just to remind people, this is Hockey's Future. This site is geared to young talent and developing teams through the draft. [mod edit - no disparaging of other team sites please]
Thanks for that mission statement boss. We know this is where all the arm chair GM's and intellectuals discuss the merits of trading Alexander Ovechkin for a teams next 10 first rounders.

Holy ****! Hallelujah! Where is the tylenol?

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-10-2009 at 01:33 PM. Reason: quoting of deleted text edited
Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

If this site had karma drivelikejoe would have a ton.

Quote:
They are overpaid, not by a whole lot but they are. And in the end those overpaid figures might hinder us from resigning key players that WE devoleped (FROLOV)

The way i see it is if youre gonna overpay players they should be guys that you drafted and developed (Lubo & Cammalleri) not guys that you trade for and give assest for (Cloutier, Stoll) or injured players.

I agree with the bolded but could that by any chance also be because of a better coaching staff?

Handzus is a god Loved him last year even while he was getting $*** on by the lot of you because didn't produce. funny how those little things he does were missed last year.
The post above should simply say, "I'm still butt hurt over the Cammalleri and Visnovsky trades."

BTW, unless the Kings acquire Gaborik via UFA or somehow manage to bag a guy like Kovalchuk, Spezza, etc. without giving up Frolov, then the salary cap won't be an issue with signing him. Frolov is one of my favorite players, but if he has to go to make this team better so be it. I prefer that he stay because I enjoy his game, but Lombardi usually knows what he is doing.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Winger23

The only thing i got from Legionnaire's post is that everyone here is idiots. Brilliant post.. I can not believe he compared Kovy to Cammy. Wow.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:07 PM
kingpest19

Quote:

If you think their salaries are going to hinder resigning Frolov I dont know what to say. Its not like the Kings are up against the cap and have no money to sign Frolov.

Ill agree that its partly staff but it also falls on the players. When you have guys who want to be here and show up every night it makes a huge difference.

Old
03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Let's keep the topic focused on Matt Greene please. We're all over the place right now.

Keep the commentary on poster's opinions, not the posters, and please, no disparaging remarks about other Kings forum sites. Sites each have their own merits and drawbacks. This is not the place to debate them.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 03-10-2009 at 01:38 PM.
TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:34 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Let's keep the topic on Matt Greene please. We're all over the place right now.

- T
Matt Greene may be slightly overpaid for his skill level, but I think he earns the rest of it in the room and with his leadership on the ice.

We paid Rob Blake how much last year, for what?

Lombardi wins again!!

Ok, I couldn't help myself, so I took a look at recently signed deals by defensemen that are around Greene's age. Here they are (name, age, cap hit):

Whitney - 25 - $4M
Enstrom - 23 - $3.75M
Hainsey - 27 - $4.5M
Wideman - 25 - $3.875M
Gleason - 25 - $2.75M
Seabrook - 23 - $3.5M
Tyutin - 24 - $2.844M
Daley - 24 - $2.3M
Kronwall - 27 - $3M
Gilbert - 25 - $4M
Ballard - 25 - $4.2M
Schultz - 25 - $3.5M
Weber - 22 - $4.5M
Suter - 23 - $3.5M
Orpik - 27 - $3.75M
Erhoff - 25 - $3.275M
Vlassic - 21 - $3.1M
Murray - 28 - $2.5M
Meszaros - 22 - $4M
Bieksa - 27 - $3.75M

Do we really feel all that abused by Greene with him making $2.95M a season for 4 years, starting next year?

Last edited by KINGS17: 03-10-2009 at 01:57 PM.
KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 01:58 PM
Chruceg

I'm a numbers guy so here are some numbers (all numbers are cap hits since that's what matters):

Robyn Regehr - 4MM/yr until 12-13, he's 27
Cory Sarich - 3.6 MM/yr until 11-12, he's 30
Scott Hannan - 4.5MM/yr until 10-11, he's 30
Brett Clark - 3.5MM/yr until 09-10, he's 32
Ruslan Salei - 3.025MM/yr until 09-10, he's 34
Adam Foote - 3MM/yr until 09-10, he's 37
Mike Commodore - 3.75MM/yr until 12-13, he's 29
Nick Schultz - 3.5MM/yr until 13-14, he's 26
Colin White - 3MM/yr until 11-12, he's 31
Brendan Witt - 3MM/yr until 10-11, he's 34
Brooks Orpik - 3.75MM/yr until 13-14, he's 28
Barrett Jackman - 3.625MM/yr until 11-12, he's 27
Jeff Finger - 3.5MM/yr until 11-12, he's 29
Willie Mitchell -3.5MM/yr until 09-10, he's 31

Every single one of these guys produce comprabaly to Greene ... and they're all paid more. Greene took a discount to stay here. End of story.

Edit: Didn't see Kings17's post. I'm at work and doing a number of things. My chart is a little different because it's based on comprable point production and salary.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:12 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
End of story.
This.

You can't have a team full of ELC's, and after that, unless you want all scrubs, you have to pay for them. Most middle of the road defenseman, which is where Green is, make 2.5 million +. You may not agree with it, but that's a LEAGUE problem, not a KINGS problem.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
hangons

Quote:

Most of you lack any perspective when it comes to the Kings. It's always. "Matt Greene rules!" or "I like Zeus" "Stoll's great a faceoffs how lucky are we?" But the truth is these guys are all overpaid vets, that almost every team has, that are taking roster spots from younger players who need ice time at the NHL level to develop as well as keeping us from getting better players in those roles.

Look, if those guys are so great, why are we still going to miss the playoffs? Are you really going to blame the kids? Their fault? If that's the case, then this team should still be ACTIVELY rebuilt.

If those are the players that are going to be here long term, they better be damn well good enough to take us someplace, but they're not. And that's the God's honest truth.

Dean's turned us into the Sharks of old. That team was okay I guess. Bunch of hard hat guys who were gritty and worked hard, but bottom line is, that team wasn't even close to being good enough to contended. So what's our plan? Repeat San Jose's mistakes and rebuild for 10 MORE years and STILL not be good enough?

AND THEN you've got every Kings fan idiot (the same ones that disagree with me) starting trade proposals to trade away any prospect that hasn't set the world on fire.

You know the same idiots (same ones that are likely to quote this post) who thought that Brown was never going develop.

Or Cammalleri was just a one dimensional greedy little gremlin who shot too much..

And people want Kovalchuck? When Cammalleri was "supposedly" traded for the very same reasons?

Yes. Kovalchuk is a much more dynamic player, but the Kings would have gotten a much better return on their dollar. Kovalchuk 7 and then some million after UFA or the little one at 5?

Oh, and O'Sullivan too? All of a sudden huh? He's not in the plans? Yeah. Headcase blah, blah, blah. What are Kovalchuk or Gaborik? Headcases!

I'll say it again. Bunch of followers. "In Dean we trust" has become the mantra for the brainwashed. If you're watching what's going on here and how this team is being built (Take whatever Dean says and reverse it) you've got to question this man's abilities. I'm a Kings fan, not a Dean fan, and there's a huge difference.
Matt Greene is a great shutdown D-Man... every good team needs one... Cammi was traded because he was a "one year asset" and DL is trying to build a good team for years... When Cammi leaves Calgary after the season... Calgary will get nothing for him...

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Omni Owl

Paying almost 3 million for a guy like Greene is not bad at all. The dude fills that shut down role we need on D. His personality off the ice is great and keeps the room loose, I'm sure. He took a friggin' puck to the face to block a shot. This is exactly the type of guy we're going to need in the playoffs.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:21 PM
hangons

Yes, In Dean I do trust!! Matt Greene is the guy you put on the ice in the final minute... He leads by example and sticks up for his teammates!

As far as DL goes... He has made some mistakes... Who hasn't?? His positives far outweigh his mistakes

hangons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:25 PM
KingsCrown

Quote:

Players that bring his leadership and toughness to the backend are what everyteam is looking for. His cap hit is very freindly compared to what others of his He is strong defensively, bring toughness and leadership to the backend and is the heart and soul of the defense.

Comparable player comparison:

Brook Orpik 3.75 Mil/yr
Mike Commadore 3.61 Mil/yr
Jeff Finger 3.5 Mil/yr

Matt Greene 2.5 Mil/yr........ I think we have a pretty good deal and we dont have to overpay more for one in FA. Theres a lot of teams that would LOVE Matt Greene on their team for what we have him for. Moving Lubo gave more flexibility. Moving two smaller pieces is easier to move than one big piece. Lubo's big contract, even though negotiated by the DL regime, just didnt give them the flexibility they needed and we got two things that we were lacking on our team, a good faceoff man, and a physical defensemen. Its funny that now Edmonton is lacking those two types of players. DL filled two holes and gave us more flexibility. Matt Greene......I think we won that deal. Oh and I didnt know that your skills and skating only decline at 25......isnt that what most people consider their prime??? might want to think about all of that.

KingsCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

How about this way of looking at it:

Niklas Lidstrom wins Cups.

So does Ken Danyeko.

Old
03-10-2009, 02:38 PM
VictoryRose

How could you post nearly 30,000 times on a hockey message board, and yet still know ZERO about the sport at ice level?

Matt Greene makes 2.5-3.0 million per and is "overpaid."

Unbelievable.

VictoryRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:

I agree with you on pretty much on everything. We do have a whole lot of people that seem brainwashed and seem to follow blindly. Yes, I think DL and TM for the most part have done great job but I'm also very critical of their moves and actions as well and will never follow blindly.

I totally agree with you on Cammy and Sully's situation. I love how so many people turn on them just as soon as they're traded away or are rumored to be traded away. People quickly forget that Cammy was having a pretty good season until he got injured standing up for one of his teammates. Do they care about that? Of course not. It's all about what have you done for me lately mentality. How about little understanding?

Like I said, I pretty much agree with you on everything except your assessment of Greene.

However, I do find it comical that he is being perceived like he's some sort of hero for getting hit in the face with the puck. It's pretty funny that some people think that Greene deliberately blocked the puck with his face to win the game for us when in actuality, he simply got hit in the face. If you see the replay, you see him turning away from the puck only to turn back and get nailed. Yes, Greene is a tough but he's not stupid.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 02:50 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
However, I do find it comical that he is being perceived like he's some sort of hero for getting hit in the face with the puck. It's pretty funny that some people think that Greene deliberately blocked the puck with his face to win the game for us when in actuality, he simply got hit in the face. If you see the replay, you see him turning away from the puck only to turn back and get nailed. Yes, Greene is a tough but he's not stupid.
Look again. That's what I thought at first, but at the last second, when he turns back and sees the shot is coming, he could have turned away again, but instead he lifted his shoulders and stretched his neck out to make himself as big as possible, knowing the shot could have gone over him.

Also, I'm so sick of this follow blindly business. Find me one person who has never been critical here. I don't know them. Even the most positive of people like sueroe will condemn a move from time to time.

Shades of grey people.