HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do You Want as Coach

View Poll Results: Who Should Coach the Flyers
Pat Burns 26 20.31%
Ted Nolan 33 25.78%
Craig Berube 1 0.78%
John Tortorella 29 22.66%
Paul Maurice 6 4.69%
John Stevens 17 13.28%
Pat Quinn 9 7.03%
Other 7 5.47%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-20-2008, 12:39 AM
Chainsaw

vCash: 500
No shot on Ted Nolan. He's done nothing. Pat Quinn or John Tortorella.

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:42 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
At what point are you simply going to accept that defense is really expensive? That's the way it is. I firmly believe our expenditure is top heavy in forward talent and have no qualms in looking to trade some of that elsewhere to get help on the other side of the bench.
Yes D is expensive, but you have to spend your money wisely. Detroit investing 4 mill in Brad Stuart is a good investment. Toronto investing 3.5 mill in Jeff Finger is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
And, similar to the Eminger story...that's about as rose colored as it gets.

I'm not being obtuse. Guys who you want on your D playing big minutes (a shutdown guy), usually aren't people who leave the league for a year to "refine" their game.
I feel like this is a lost cause and seeing as Vaananen has probably been our 2nd best D this year, his play speaks for itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Well, that's easy. Something tells me that Gagne and Briere are never, ever going to be strong forecheck players. Lupul and Carter are guys you want firing the puck from the dots...that's their strengths. There's a skill to forechecking, which guys like Hartnell, Knuble, Downie, etc. have, but that doesn't mean you're going to refashion the offense around it.

Dump and chase doesn't have to be the way you go about things. This team wants to play offense off the rush, which is fine, but you need to get the D capable of supporting that style.
Lupul and Carter should still be able to do a job down low. Playing in the offensive zone isn't a static activity, they're allowed to move around believe it or not.

So on the one hand, you complain about the lack of a shutdown d-man and on the other, you complain about lack of D supporting the rush?

Holmgren has assembled some guys with 2-way ability (Kimmo, Coburn, Eminger), some defensive guys (Vaananen, Parent), and a more offensive player (Jones).

I think there's a nice mixture there and they all skate well.

This argument is going in circles anyways. Regardless of how crappy the D may or not be, they should not be giving up 5 goals per game, no defense is that bad and they could have given up 8 pretty easily against SJ and Colorado.

EDIT: And btw you were bashing on Boston, I watched that series and Boston played MTL better than we did, the difference was that Price didn't implode and we got all-world goaltending.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
seeing as Vaananen has probably been our 2nd best D this year
That statement speaks volumes about the state of the Flyers right now.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:42 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Tortorella was offered the Isles job and said "no thanks." So...put that argument on ice, as it doesn't work in his case at all.

Tortorella got to the ECF with a real goalie, and then managed to get into the playoffs with the cardboard cutout committee following the lockout.

Additionally, using the playoffs as an evaluation tool is borderline idiotic. You telling me John Stevens deserves real credit for RJ Umberger channeling John Druce, or Marty Biron turning into an elite goalie for a few weeks? You just made the argument that talent and effort matters more than coaching...There's a large dose of dumb luck in a short sample, which I know you're aware of.

Who is making contradictory statement now?
Am I missing something? Didnt Tort win a cup??? I would take him over Stevens in a heartbeat....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
terry simpson or bill dineen would be a good choice

i would roll the dice with poulin. he has roots, he is smart , he knwos hockey. doesnt mean he will be successful but i would take a shot.

i dont want a recycled coach but they woudl be better than stevesns. stevens has not changed. the same glaring mistakes. unprepared, no gameplan.

wouldnt evenmind kevin constatine
I think this team learned what it was capable of last year, now it needs a coach that is a little tougher and can get them over the hump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
No shot on Ted Nolan. He's done nothing. Pat Quinn or John Tortorella.
Nolan has done nothing but get crappy teams into the playoffs, I want to see what he can do with a team as talented as ours..

Quote:
Yes D is expensive, but you have to spend your money wisely. Detroit investing 4 mill in Brad Stuart is a good investment. Toronto investing 3.5 mill in Jeff Finger is not.

I feel like this is a lost cause and seeing as Vaananen has probably been our 2nd best D this year, his play speaks for itself.

Lupul and Carter should still be able to do a job down low. Playing in the offensive zone isn't a static activity, they're allowed to move around believe it or not.

So on the one hand, you complain about the lack of a shutdown d-man and on the other, you complain about lack of D supporting the rush?

Holmgren has assembled some guys with 2-way ability (Kimmo, Coburn, Eminger), some defensive guys (Vaananen, Parent), and a more offensive player (Jones).

I think there's a nice mixture there and they all skate well.

This argument is going in circles anyways. Regardless of how crappy the D may or not be, they should not be giving up 5 goals per game, no defense is that bad and they could have given up 8 pretty easily against SJ and Colorado.

EDIT: And btw you were bashing on Boston, I watched that series and Boston played MTL better than we did, the difference was that Price didn't implode and we got all-world goaltending.
Kimmo, Coburn, Eminger, Parent, Vaananen and Jones could "potentially" be a decent pairing if they developed some chemistry and we had a coach that knew how to exploit all their strengths and hide their weaknesses as much as possible.

This coach is a dope

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Am I missing something? Didnt Tort win a cup??? I would take him over Stevens in a heartbeat....
Yes, I was just using ECF as the barometer, since Stevens getting there is apparently all important.

Torts has his own issues worthy of some concern -- namely, his lack of any calm -- but he definitely can coach up a hockey team to play up tempo hockey.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:48 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Yes, I was just using ECF as the barometer, since Stevens getting there is apparently all important.

Torts has his own issues worthy of some concern -- namely, his lack of any calm -- but he definitely can coach up a hockey team to play up tempo hockey.
His lack of calm both makes nervous and excites me.

He's passionate, but borders on the line of stupidity.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 05:03 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Kimmo, Coburn, Eminger, Parent, Vaananen and Jones could "potentially" be a decent pairing if they developed some chemistry and we had a coach that knew how to exploit all their strengths and hide their weaknesses as much as possible.
That's exactly what I'm saying, but as long as Stevens is here, we'll never know.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 05:13 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm saying, but as long as Stevens is here, we'll never know.
Agreed. The defense isn't good enough, but it should be good enough for us to make the playoffs. Under Stevens, way too much has to go right at the same time for any player on the blueline to look good

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 06:39 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Once again, with that avatar you sport, your hockey knowledge comes under great scrutiny.
This from the guy who claimed Dallas traded away players after Hitch was let go like Arnott, Hull, and, get this, Modano.

Plus you said Quinn could coach and can't figure out why Acton isn't a head coach yet.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote