HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The first African American to ever play in the NHL...

Old
10-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Travis Moen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
No, it would make him Canadian.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:48 AM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzeit View Post
Rumun Ndur.
jarome iginla (half nigerian)
akim aliu (nigerian)
john oduya (kenya)
fred oduya (kenya)

edit: ****! I almost forgot about another soon to be prominent nigerian.. kyle okposo. So far nigeria leads kenya 3-2

Last edited by the_speedster: 10-18-2008 at 08:54 AM.
the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:09 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post
It's Willie O'Ree. I have no idea where he was born, though.
Fredericton, New Brunswick.

He is currently the Director of the NHL's Diversity Program. Here is the NHL tribute to him on the 50th anniversary of breaking the colour barrier:

Here is the nhl.com entry portal for the history of black players in the NHL focusing on Willie O'Ree:
http://www.nhl.com/blackhistory/index.html

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 10-18-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:16 AM
Wetcoaster

Herb Carnegie would have been the first black player in the NHL by two years before O'Ree (1948). He was born in Toronto and his parents were from Jamaica.

He was playing in the Quebec league when he was offered a tryout with the New York Rangers. He was then offered a contract with the Rangers but turned it down because he could make more money playing in the Quebec league. The same sort of problem the Habs experienced when trying to sign Jean Beliveau to his first NHL deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...870&type=story

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 10-18-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old
10-18-2008, 10:17 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

This is somewhat of a trick question. I remember when they were celebrating Willie, it was brought up that during the early 20's there was a player who's father was white and mother was barbadoes or something and he only played few games. Willie was the first black player who actually played for a few season

interesting/sad/sick --take you pick

Willie did not get any death threats when he played in the NHL-however when he started working with the NHL to spread the NHL into the black populace of the states--he dd.

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:35 AM
FromDubiToZherdev*

Send a message via AIM to FromDubiToZherdev* Send a message via MSN to FromDubiToZherdev*
Isn't their a Nigerian/Ukrainian/Russian Chicago prospect?

FromDubiToZherdev* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
This is somewhat of a trick question. I remember when they were celebrating Willie, it was brought up that during the early 20's there was a player who's father was white and mother was barbadoes or something and he only played few games. Willie was the first black player who actually played for a few season

interesting/sad/sick --take you pick

Willie did not get any death threats when he played in the NHL-however when he started working with the NHL to spread the NHL into the black populace of the states--he dd.
I have never seen that referred to before.

The CBC did an in-depth look at minorities (native, Asian and black) in hockey history during its 10 episode documentary Hockey: A Peoples History. I never saw any mention of this.

Also Cecil Harris wrote an extensive history of black hockey players called Breaking the Ice and this was not mentioned.

Do you have a name?

Old
10-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromDubiToZherdev View Post
Isn't their a Nigerian/Ukrainian/Russian Chicago prospect?
Akim Aliu.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
I'm thinking the OP was just trying to see if people were going to say O'Ree or not since he's Canadian.

AFAIK Kolzig is the only African to play in the NHL.
Manute Bol played pro-hockey, but never cracked the NHL. Makes Chara look like Theo Fleury.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Bobby Bottle Service
Ghost Bouncer

Seriously though, here are the first professional black hockey players.

http://www.blackicebook.com/blackice/index.cfm

This league is credited with inventing the slapshot.

Bobby Bottle Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Palinka

Chris Nielsen was born in Tanzania. I think his dad was an oil worker, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Referring to a Canadian like Willie O'Ree as "African-American" reminds me of the time that a black Frenchman was referred to by the local news as a "French African-American".

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatloui View Post
yep, I think olie is probably the only player born in africa.
Chris Nielsen, who played for the Islanders, The thrashers (I think) and the Nucks was born in Tanzania...

And then there's Rumun Ndur.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Builditagain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMan View Post
Hey gang, Moon Man here. Are we answering the OP's question or just naming random black hockey players?
Jack "Black" Stewart.

Builditagain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:29 AM
boxcar
we want MOORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
He was born in South Africa I think.
from wikki
Olaf Kölzig (born April 6, 1970) is a German professional ice hockey goaltender, playing for the Tampa Bay Lightning of the National Hockey League. Though Kölzig was born in South Africa, he grew up in several cities across Canada and his family moved to Union Bay, British Columbia, Canada, when he was a teenager. Kölzig never applied for Canadian citizenship, which, combined with his German parentage and German passport, allows him to represent Germany internationally.[

boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Wetcoaster

NHL player search by place of birth:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...riesByName.jsp

Old
10-18-2008, 01:46 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
Seriously though, here are the first professional black hockey players.

http://www.blackicebook.com/blackice/index.cfm

This league is credited with inventing the slapshot.
No they take credit for it. Dont you find it a little weird that these guys claim black players invented it but noone used it until Geoffrion in the late 40's?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 01:55 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
No they take credit for it. Dont you find it a little weird that these guys claim black players invented it but noone used it until Geoffrion in the late 40's?
What you mean use it in the nhl? How could they when they weren't allowed in the league till willie o'ree?

oh and for the posters that are so concerned about the proper use of the term african american? get over your crap. Its pretty obvious that the OP and others are referring to players of a black heritage. It truly touches my heart that you all are once again so eager to argue for the term in its correct application but I think we really don't need your help to know what race we are..

danke

Old
10-18-2008, 02:03 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Geoffrion broke into the NHL in December 1950.

Here is what he claims regarding his invention of the slapshot:
"I invented the slapshot when I was nine or ten years old. (My note around 1940) Everyday after school, I practiced behind the church"
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/...onep197202.htm

Old
10-18-2008, 02:05 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_speedster View Post
What you mean use it in the nhl? How could they when they weren't allowed in the league till willie o'ree?

oh and for the posters that are so concerned about the proper use of the term african american? get over your crap. Its pretty obvious that the OP and others are referring to players of a black heritage. It truly touches my heart that you all are once again so eager to argue for the term in its correct application but I think we really don't need your help to know what race we are..

danke
No I mean anyone use it at all. Dont you think that someone along the lines would have seen it 25 30 years before Geoffrion and said hey that shot is something else let me try that. Yet when Geoffrion started using it every was in awe at this new shot he was taking. You can shake your head all you want but their story doesnt jive with anything.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:09 PM
TonyTinglebone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
NHL player search by place of birth:
http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...riesByName.jsp
Pretty neat where some players were born. Some places I was unaware NHL players were born such as Brunei, Indonesia, Lebanon, Paraguay, Venezuela and Saskatchewan

TonyTinglebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Pretty neat where some players were born. Some places I was unaware NHL players were born such as Brunei, Indonesia, Lebanon, Paraguay, Venezuela and Saskatchewan
I heard some guy named Howe was born in Floral, Saskatchewan. pretty strange.

Old
10-18-2008, 02:47 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
No I mean anyone use it at all. Dont you think that someone along the lines would have seen it 25 30 years before Geoffrion and said hey that shot is something else let me try that. Yet when Geoffrion started using it every was in awe at this new shot he was taking. You can shake your head all you want but their story doesnt jive with anything.
'cept the impressive amount of documentation put together by two WHITE historians that was so compelling the nhl organized a meeting to see what they had.

The colored hockey league existed from 1894-1925 before geoffrion's time.

Oh and "everyone" in awe of boom boom's shot did not include non whites. Hear anyone of color be in awe of boom's shot?

I understand though. Its like when I was told, as a kid, that Chris columbus was a cuddly bear explorer type instead of a progentior for native american torture and pillage. You think geoffrion et al "palled around" with people of color (actually jean beliveau was pretty cool and played on teams with people of different cultures )
You think the nhl's historians, or even sports hostorians in general took notice of guys like herb carnegie, and satchel paige until some brave soul broke the color barrier (albeit too late to inform the general polulace of any advancements or ingenuity previously unknown?

You must also think white people invented lacrosse since it seems like they're the only ones that play it

Old
10-18-2008, 02:49 PM
the_speedster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
don't forget korea (rod langway) and ireland (owen nolan) and england (byron dafoe)

Old
10-18-2008, 02:56 PM
the_speedster

http://www.blackicebook.com/blackice...n=book.welcome

With certainty, we can only date Black hockey to the early 1870's, yet we know that hockey and Black history in Nova Scotia have parallel roots, going back almost 100 years. Among the first reports of hockey being played occur in 1815 along the isolated Northwest Arm, south of Halifax. The date is important for the simple fact that as late as October 1815 the region was not home to a large White settlement but was instead the site of a small Black enclave. Four Black families originally from the Chesapeake Bay area, with a total of fifteen children, had relocated and settled on the Arm. It is reported that these families, Couney, Williams, Munro and Leale, received adequate food, lodging and employment implying that their children were healthy and would have been able to play hockey during the winter months when the Arm was frozen and suitable for skating. Were these children among the first Canadians to play the game of hockey? We do not know. All we can say is that the coincidence between the date of the Northwest Arm's Black settlement and the first records of hockey being played in the area are worthy of reflection. Page 12-13

If you're brave enough to argue about the race of players like kolzig, iginla etc, then you might be brave enough to actually educate yourself

Old
10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanSince89 View Post
Manute Bol played pro-hockey, but never cracked the NHL. Makes Chara look like Theo Fleury.
The same Manute Bol that played in the NBA? Sorry, but that's the only one that comes to mind

Matsi is offline   Reply With Quote