HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The first African American to ever play in the NHL...

Old
10-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Wetcoaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechoo14whitney View Post
The same Manute Bol that played in the NBA? Sorry, but that's the only one that comes to mind
That is the one. He suited up with the Indianapolis Ice of the CHL:

Mind you he was also the world's tallest jockey:

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Big Phil

Geoffrion is the first name that comes to mind when you think of the slapshot. Come to think of it my personal thought is had it been used prior to that you think they'd have kept using it no? Oh well. This conversation reminds me of the debate of Mikita or Bathgate and who was credited with inventing the curved blade.

By the way the original question is Willie O'Ree if you are looking just for the first black player in the NHL.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
This conversation reminds me of the debate of Mikita or Bathgate and who was credited with inventing the curved blade.
It was Bathgate who first showed his curved blade to Hull and Mikita during an off-season series of exhibition games in Europe.
Quote:
It was Bathgate who, in the late '50s, first discovered the unique whipping action created by a curved stick blade. To achieve the curve, he soaked his blades in hot water and then bent them in the door jambs of washroom cubicle doors -- three sticks before each game, one for each period.

One night when Bathgate was playing for the Rangers, Mikita and the Hawks hit the Big Apple and Mikita sweet-talked the Rangers' trainer into borrowing one of Bathgate's unique sticks. That night Chicago beat New York, Stan potting several goals with Bathgate's "banana" bladed stick. By season's end both Bathgate and Mikita had stick manufacturers custom-bending their sticks. The rest is history.
http://www.50plus.com/Lifestyle/Brow...ocumentID=7798

Old
10-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

This thread is the reason why political correctness is rediculous. 1/3 of the people assumed African American meant black guy, 1/3 thought it meant guy with citizenship in an African nation and the US, 1/3 black guy born in the US.

**** political correctness.

Jeffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
This thread is the reason why political correctness is rediculous. 1/3 of the people assumed African American meant black guy, 1/3 thought it meant guy with citizenship in an African nation and the US, 1/3 black guy born in the US.

Or simple failure to properly define amorphous terms.......

Old
10-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:

amen brother.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Lee Van Cleef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Pretty neat where some players were born. Some places I was unaware NHL players were born such as Brunei, Indonesia, Lebanon, Paraguay, Venezuela and Saskatchewan
No one else noticed that?

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:08 PM
ponder

a) Re: the whole political correctness stuff, it's a bit ridiculous, all of my black friends are cool with "black" or "African American" (except for a friend of mine from Jamaica, who gets a bit annoyed when people call him "African American"). Obviously terms that are actually offensive should not be used, but if you get all awkward about using the word "black," it just means you're not comfortable around people of different races, which is not quite racism, but it's somewhat close.

b) What's wrong with using the term "African American" to describe a guy of African descent who was born in Canada? Canada is in the Americas, and I've never heard anyone use the term "African Canadian."

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
No one else noticed that?
Yup. See post #46.

Old
10-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12AL21 View Post
Wouldn't that make him an African Canadian?
You know Canada is in North America correct? People in the United States are not the only Americans

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
You know Canada is in North America correct? People in the United States are not the only Americans
So Guatemalans are also "American"? They're in North America too. How about Jamaicans or Haitians?

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Palinka

As for all of this over who invented the slapshot....public perception has nothing to do with historical fact. If you ask most people, they believe that Abner Doubleday had something to do with inventing baseball even though there is zero historical fact to support it.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Jacobeam Mugatu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMan View Post
Hey gang, Moon Man here. Are we answering the OP's question or just naming random black hockey players?
Andreas Lilja!

Jacobeam Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Moon Man*

Hey guys, Moon Man here. So we've gone from firing out random names to arguing over racial and geographical semantics. how cute!

I think it's safe to assume that the OP meant 'first black guy', unless he too is trying to be cute with a trick question. Did he post again in the thread, or is he enjoying a read and a chuckle over pulling your strings? This thread seems to have little point.

Moon Man* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:41 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
So Guatemalans are also "American"? They're in North America too. How about Jamaicans or Haitians?
They are american but they are Central Americans. And why would Islands in the middle of the ocean be considered part of the Americas?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Stevonidas
Wanna go pretty boy?

Quote:

I'll second that.

Stevonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Paxton Fettel

I just entered this thread not knowing what to expect.

but I didn't expect it to be so ridiculous. I mean, seriously!!! read the first page.

Paxton Fettel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Jericho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
They are american but they are Central Americans. And why would Islands in the middle of the ocean be considered part of the Americas?
Central America is not a continent, it's simply a region of North America. And North America has 23 countries in it, including the likes of Jamaica, Haiti, Barbados, Belize, and Costa Rica.

You either use the term Americans to refer to people from the United States (which is how it is commonly used), or you use it to refer to all people from America, both North and South. If Canadians are "American", than any country in North or South America must be too right?

It's funny, cause I just saw this mentioned on an article choosing the All-Black hockey team

Jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 05:24 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
It's funny, cause I just saw this mentioned on an article choosing the All-Black hockey team
The basketball piece is interesting "Whites were once dominant in basketball. Mainly due to segregation and racism, but the league and the Basketball Hall of Fame are littered with former white players."

They changed colour?

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 09:33 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman03 View Post
Pretty neat where some players were born. Some places I was unaware NHL players were born such as Brunei, Indonesia, Lebanon, Paraguay, Venezuela and Saskatchewan
the player born in Indonesia (Richie Regehr) was born to Mennonite missionaries, while he may have been born there he is Canadian... much like his brother Robyn who was born in Brazil

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote