HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lang Is A Redwing

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 12:59 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

vCash: 500
Lang Is A Redwing

and detroit paid a ton for him

Red Wings have done it again. TSN has learned that Detroit has acquired centre Robert Lang from the Washington Capitals for Tomas Fleischmann, a first round pick in 2004 and a fourth round pick in 2006.

now i know they wouldn't have paid this for kovalev but now where does kovalev go?

Old
02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner

now i know they wouldn't have paid this for kovalev but now where does kovalev go?
To the New York Rangers for 13 goals a season

Old
02-27-2004, 01:05 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
and detroit paid a ton for him

Red Wings have done it again. TSN has learned that Detroit has acquired centre Robert Lang from the Washington Capitals for Tomas Fleischmann, a first round pick in 2004 and a fourth round pick in 2006.

I certainly wouldn't call it a ton.

A decent prospect who was a 2nd rounder, a late 1st round pick(27-30 overall) and a 4tf rounder for the NHL scoring leader going to a win now team that has a great shot at a 4tf Cup.

I think it's a great deal for Detroit.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:07 PM
Sicilian

How old is Lang? 30?

Old
02-27-2004, 01:09 PM
Sicilian

It must be nice to be able to trade away picks and prospects for vets when you know you have a farm system that can replenish them, and the ones you have will be developed properly...

Old
02-27-2004, 01:16 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
It must be nice to be able to trade away picks and prospects for vets when you know you have a farm system that can replenish them, and the ones you have will be developed properly...
the red wings have one of the worst farm systems and have horrible success with first round picks

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 02-27-2004 at 11:54 PM. Reason: to make true blue happy :)
Old
02-27-2004, 01:18 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
the red wings have one of the worst farm systems. and have horrible success with first round picks
You don't need to pick great in the 1st round when you pick as well as they do in finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.These guys have to be regarded as great draft pickers when you look at the players they've drafted the last 10-12 yrs.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Sicilian

to be fair i suppose i should also note that detroit has had arguably the greatest coach in NHL history to mold their team, then followed with his direct underling. Good coaching can do wonders, even with old players, as evidenced by the New England Patriots (please don't kill me for bringing them up on a New York board) and their ability to win despite having the majority of their defensive players well over 30. football is a different sport but the principle is the same.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
How old is Lang? 30?
He's 33.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:39 PM
Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
You don't need to pick great in the 1st round when you pick as well as they do in finding diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.These guys have to be regarded as great draft pickers when you look at the players they've drafted the last 10-12 yrs.
It's not earth shattering, but there are some gems in there, only listing players who've played in the NHL this season...

1992 Darren McCarty (46th), Jason MacDonald (142nd), Dan McGillis (238th)
1993 Anders Eriksson (22nd)
1994 Mathieu Dandenault (49th), Tomas Holstrom (257th)
1995 Maxim Kuznetzov (26th)
1996 Jesse Wallin (26th)
1997 -
1998 Jiri Fischer (25th), Pavel Datsyuk (171st)
1999 Henrik Zetterberg (210th)
2000 Niklas Kronwall (29th)

By contrast here are the Rangers over the same period
1992 Mattias Norstrom (48th), Eric Cairns (72nd)
1993 Niklas Sundstrom (8th), Todd Marchant (164th)
1994 Dan Cloutier (26th), Eric Boulton (234th), Kim Johnsson (286th)
1995 Marc Savard (91st), Dale Purinton (117th)
1996 -
1997 Burke Henry (73rd), Mike York (136th)
1998 Manny Malhotra (7th), Jason Labarbera (66th), Boyd Kane (114th), Patrick Leahy (122nd), Tomas Kloucek (131st)
1999 Pavel Brendl (4), Jamie Lundmark (9)
2000 Dominic Moore (95th)
2001 Fedor Tyutin (40th), Garth Murray (79th), Marek Zidlicky (176th)

Old
02-27-2004, 01:43 PM
kazo

Will Sather make any significant moves or will he sit on his hands until it's too late and there is not market for our few players of value? Don't be so sure it won't be the latter.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Will Sather make any significant moves or will he sit on his hands until it's too late and there is not market for our few players of value? Don't be so sure it won't be the latter.
He's done that before. It's possible he will wait too long again, or demand too much.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Barnaby

Socratese - Scotty Bowman
Plato - Dave Lewis

Old
02-27-2004, 05:06 PM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
Just wondering....what are you infering?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:27 PM
True Blue

Quote:
the red wings have one of the worst farm systems. and have horrible success with first round picks
Datsyuk, Zettenberg, Fischer, Lidstrom, Draper, Mcarty, Yzerman, Federov, Primaue....

Old
02-27-2004, 11:29 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Datsyuk, Zettenberg, Fischer, Lidstrom, Draper, Mcarty, Yzerman, Federov, Primaue....
i'm sorry but not all of those listed players were first round picks. perhaps you overlooked that?

Old
02-27-2004, 11:52 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Ok. I recognize that you just feel like being the way you are. However, above there are 2 sentences. You said that the 'Wings have one of the worst farm systems. That was your first statement. THEN you have a 2nd sentence that begins with the word AND. The "and" makes your second sentence and addittion to the first, but still seperate in context. You said that in addittion to having one of the worst farm systems, the 'Wings have horrible success w/ first round draft picks. The "and" and the fact that you have 2 sentences states that you are trying to make 2 seperate points. Not one.
I proved you wrong on both. I listed players that were both first round and latter round picks, AND highly succesfull.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Ok. I recognize that you just feel like being the way you are. However, above there are 2 sentences. You said that the 'Wings have one of the worst farm systems. That was your first statement. THEN you have a 2nd sentence that begins with the word AND. The "and" makes your second sentence and addittion to the first, but still seperate in context. You said that in addittion to having one of the worst farm systems, the 'Wings have horrible success w/ first round draft picks. The "and" and the fact that you have 2 sentences states that you are trying to make 2 seperate points. Not one.
I proved you wrong on both. I listed players that were both first round and latter round picks, AND highly succesfull.
the red wings do have a horible farm system. name 5 good prospects they have?

the red wings do have horrible success with first round picks. you proved me wrong by bringing up yzerman. wow great job. yzerman was drafted 20 years ago. that is like me saying the rangers have had success with first round picks look at brian leetch.
hey the rangers have had great system if you want to use your logic. look at richter,zubov,york,savard,nordstrom,weight,amonte and countless others. but true blue you got me you proved me wrong. i do hope you feel better about it. i stand corrected.
to make you even more happy i edited my original post.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:13 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

And how many of those Detroit players are still with the club? How many of them were traded away for players still contributing to Detroit's success?

The Wings may have a "horrible" farm system and no luck whatsoever with their 1st rounders, but still manage to put together a team that has success on the ice and is fun to watch. Not to mention they've been doing it for quite a while now.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
And how many of those Detroit players are still with the club? How many of them were traded away for players still contributing to Detroit's success?

The Wings may have a "horrible" farm system and no luck whatsoever with their 1st rounders, but still manage to put together a team that has success on the ice and is fun to watch. Not to mention they've been doing it for quite a while now.
does it matter? i didn't see that as a cavaat to responding to the post. my apologies. the red wings have a horrible farm system and have awful success with first round picks. how many of those players will be wings in 3 years? what will they replace those guys with?

Old
02-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
does it matter? i didn't see that as a cavaat to responding to the post. my apologies. the red wings have a horrible farm system and have awful success with first round picks. how many of those players will be wings in 3 years? what will they replace those guys with?
Every franchise goes through cycles--Detroit may be reaching the end of theirs. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs since 1990. There is still a very solid core of players there who have played the majority of their careers together. And while Detroit has traded for high profile players and signed free agents, they never lost sight of the fact that those moves were to compliment that core of home grown players.

Credit where credit is due. And I'm sure that there is a group of prospects we've barely heard of who hard core Red Wings fans are excited about, just like many here are about the current crop of youngsters in the Rangers system. Detroit may be entering hard times, but I seriously doubt they will miss the playoffs as many times as the Rangers have under Sather. Or under Smith. Much less 7 years in a row.

Last edited by Brooklyn Ranger: 02-28-2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old
02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Every franchise goes through cycles--Detroit may be reaching the end of theirs. However, that doesn't negate the fact that Detroit hasn't missed the playoffs since 1990. There is still a very solid core of players there who have played the majority of their careers together. And while Detroit has traded for high profile players and signed free agents, they never lost sight of the fact that those moves were to compliment that core of home grown players.

Credit where credit is due.
i will give detriot all the credit in the world. i thought when i posted detroit had no system and have had horrible success with first round picks other posters would realize i was talking about the past 5 to 6 years. i think any reasonable person would assume that. although other posters would like to throw out names of people that neil smith may have scouted when he worked for the wings.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:54 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
i will give detriot all the credit in the world. i thought when i posted detroit had no system and have had horrible success with first round picks other posters would realize i was talking about the past 5 to 6 years. i think any reasonable person would assume that. although other posters would like to throw out names of people that neil smith may have scouted when he worked for the wings.
Why would we make that assumption? We only have your words to go by and you made a rather sweeping generalization about the state of the Red Wings, their farm system and their success or lack at developing their 1st round picks. The future is impossible to predict and it's just as possible that Detroit will continue to find solid hard working players to integrate into their lineup as for the Rangers to do so. And given their track record over the last 15 years or so, I would say that they have a much better chance of doing it successfully than the Rangers do. But, thankfully, it's impossible to predict the future and maybe both franchises are successful over the next 5 years. Time will tell.

PS, sorry about the slowness of the edit on the post above.

Closed Thread