HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Power Play Worries Here - NYR PP Ranked 21st

Old
11-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Melrose_Jr.

vCash: 500
Other the Rozsival bobbles, I thought they looked more creative and mobile on the PP last night.

Updated the thread title, now 24th this morning after climbing to 20th before yesterday's game.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 08:31 AM
DM23BK30

My wife asked me during the Boston game:

Wife: "If the rangers can't score on the power play like you say all the time, then why don't they trade the guys ruining it"

Me: "They have tried that. It still doesn't work"

Wife: "Then why not fire the coach"

Me: "That's what i am waiting for".

You know its sad when a hockey novice recommends firing the power play coach.

The bottom line is that Pearn never adjusted to the loss of Nylander, who was the real reason why the power play clicked. Gomez is not as crafty with the puck as Nylander, and rarely do we see Gomez thread the needle for scoring opportunities.

If the rangers powerplay is going to begin with the points, then Redden and Girardi should be the top pair gunning shots at the net and Staal and Mara the second unit.

The extra 4 mins a game Rosie is currently getting will help Staal in the long run.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

imho you need a QB and a guy who can rip a shot from the point.

id put Mara and Redden as your first pair on the PP, then I'd put Kalinin and Rozsival as your 2nd pair.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd definitely like to see Staal and Mara on the 2nd unit. I think Staal's puck control and ability to get pucks towards the net is underrated.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
asparkoflife

Id either like to see Redden/Girardi and Staal/Mara as your pairs...or..

Let Drury QB from the point with Redden on the first Unit.

Then Let a Zherdev work the point with Mara/Staal on the 2nd Unit. a 4 Forwrad PP might help this team out. Maybe run some Umbrella PP with them.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
imho you need a QB and a guy who can rip a shot from the point.

id put Mara and Redden as your first pair on the PP, then I'd put Kalinin and Rozsival as your 2nd pair.
Not putting Girardi out there is quite possibly the DUMBest thing we could do. 2G 12A, great shot from the point, he NEEDS to be out there. I say Girardi Redden Mara and Kalinin should be our 4 PP Dman in whatever pairings, however I think we should keep Mara/Girardi together

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBlueshirts View Post
Not putting Girardi out there is quite possibly the DUMBest thing we could do. 2G 12A, great shot from the point, he NEEDS to be out there. I say Girardi Redden Mara and Kalinin should be our 4 PP Dman in whatever pairings, however I think we should keep Mara/Girardi together
I disagree, I'd like to see either Girardi or Mara with Redden, who I think has been hampered by Rozy's unwillingness to shoot. I bet if we put him with a more decisive person, we'd start to see the Wade Redden we're paying for....

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8 View Post
My wife asked me during the Boston game:

Wife: "If the rangers can't score on the power play like you say all the time, then why don't they trade the guys ruining it"

Me: "They have tried that. It still doesn't work"

Wife: "Then why not fire the coach"

Me: "That's what i am waiting for".

You know its sad when a hockey novice recommends firing the power play coach.
Indeed.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:18 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

im gonna keep saying it. until we change up the pp and go with 4 forwardswe will struggle.

redden/girardi/mara- one of 3 firing away

drury- at point pp qb
zherdev- always carrying puck into zone
voros- in front. period.
naslund- shoot the puck

until we do this, we will struggle.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 01:38 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd definitely like to see Staal and Mara on the 2nd unit. I think Staal's puck control and ability to get pucks towards the net is underrated.
Me too. They have decent chemistry as a pairing already, so why not let 'em play on the PP?

Someone was saying that Staal doesn't handle the puck well. Well, he's not the best, but he's not as careless as Rozisval either. Also, while is shot is no where near as accurate as Rozsivals, at least you'll get to see it more than once a game.

Redden-Girardi, Mara-Staal is what I'd like to see against the Sens tonight. Unfortunately, you know it won't happen

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:13 AM
darrenturcotte#8

anyone else notice that the only time the PP looked remotely decent last night was when Rozi was on the left side, Mara on the right and zherdev fed mara for a one timer. That play is created bc you have a left shot playing the right point. Something I've been asking for for 2+ yrs now. ONLY MARA OR REDDEN SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE ON THE RIGHT POINT, NOT ROZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rozi then plays the left side where he belongs and all of a sudden the passing and shooting lanes open up and we have a powerplay.

Can we buy the coaching staff a VCR? Do they watch the tape or is it as simple as 'lets just do the same thing again and see if it gets corrected'.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:31 AM
Chris 84

I miss Nylander.
I could almost take our powerplay not producing that much if it wasn't for all the shorties. And I could almost take the shorties if our powerplay was producing.
I blame... Pearn

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:51 AM
DutchShamrock

Can we please re-address the issue of Perry Pearn? His job cannot be 100% safe at this point.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:28 AM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenturcotte#8 View Post
anyone else notice that the only time the PP looked remotely decent last night was when Rozi was on the left side, Mara on the right and zherdev fed mara for a one timer. That play is created bc you have a left shot playing the right point. Something I've been asking for for 2+ yrs now. ONLY MARA OR REDDEN SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE ON THE RIGHT POINT, NOT ROZI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rozi then plays the left side where he belongs and all of a sudden the passing and shooting lanes open up and we have a powerplay.

Can we buy the coaching staff a VCR? Do they watch the tape or is it as simple as 'lets just do the same thing again and see if it gets corrected'.
yup. I never understood why they always put the dmen on the wrong sides. their shots should be coming from the middle, not the boards.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:36 AM
thescout23

they need to use the umbrella...it doesnt matter who you have as the pp qb...when you play the overload on the pp its easy for any pk to keep teams at bay. the overload just stacks one side, which is fine, but there is not enough movement to be successful. if you want to run the pp from the halfwall,like this nyr team does, use the umbrella and force team to open up the ice and the pk.

thescout23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout23 View Post
they need to use the umbrella...it doesnt matter who you have as the pp qb...when you play the overload on the pp its easy for any pk to keep teams at bay. the overload just stacks one side, which is fine, but there is not enough movement to be successful. if you want to run the pp from the halfwall,like this nyr team does, use the umbrella and force team to open up the ice and the pk.
That's a good analysis right there.

The point men are far too stationary. They should be sneaking in the back-side like Mara did last night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
thescout23

it did work well when the point men move.

I always get the feeling though that pearn draws up a pp, and its almost ignored.

After every PP he looks pissed.

thescout23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:37 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout23 View Post
it did work well when the point men move.

I always get the feeling though that pearn draws up a pp, and its almost ignored.

After every PP he looks pissed.
I've been asking for the umbrella for yrs on this board. With the skill set this team has its a no brainer. You have huge shots from the point and some very creative gifted playmakers. Open up the passing lanes and you will find high quality shots. When the diamond collapses down low, the point (hopefully Redden) can step into one from the high slot. I just don't understand how Pern still has a job.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
segmentation fault

Why DOES Pearn still have a job?

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Not sure how Perry Pern still has a job.

The PP for years has been terrible. Last year any team could read it "Find Jagr"....this year it just looks so unorganized. Players are rarely moving around, and everything is to the outside.

Our PP is usually good when we face a team that gives our points some room, but when a team like the leafs tonight, challenge the points the second we get the puck...we are screwed. For some reaosn we don't adjust to the other teams style and keep trying to force our own, which doesn't work.

Simple solution tonight is to move the puck fast and effective, mainly down low...with in over aggressive team like the leafs that is bound to leave someone open in the slot. But this was not done and the PP just looked like garbage.
Yep, if they are forced and have no time they don't even get to set up and get shots to the net.

Why? Because there is no movement and there is too much standing around and watching instead of quick decisive passes and shots.

Why? because there is no distinct plan and there are no distinct units.

Half the battle is gaining the zone and setting up. They have guys like Dubinsky, Gomez, Zherdev, etc.. and even some defensmen who can gain the zone by carrying it in. Things seem to get mixed up when Gomer is flying down the middle and dumps it in and tries to get it himself. Yeah hes great at it, but if you watch the zone closely, all the Rangers are about 40 feet behind him or whomever it is dumping it in once that guy gains control - and they cant support him and set up because of it. That part is a lack of urgency on the players part IMO.

When they finally do set up, this one falls on the coaches. They have to set the quarterback, which IMO should be Zherdev on the left circle. Redden and Girardi at the points. No Rozsival. His inability on the PP is becoming contagious. Switch Redden and Girardi to their weak sides for the one timers and blast away. Down low put Drury by the net and Gomez on the other side.

Another problem with this team is they dont collapse on the net and double team the opposition when they gain control below the goal line. The reason for that is because the forwards are too spread apart. They should all take a step in and close down the PK's box and open it up when need be. It shortens up the passing and makes it difficult for cross ice passes that are FORCED by the Rangers. Thats something they have to STOP doing, so close up down low and form a reverse umbrella so to speak.

The lack of PP is more about quickness than anything else for me. You look at the great PP's. Detroit, Philly, Boston, Buffalo, San Jose - they are quick, decisive, and are constantly in motion when things are going right. The Rangers are stationary and almost look like they dont want to leave their "posts". Its ok for Gomez to skate directly across the center of the ice and switch with Zherdev. Its ok for Redden to move down and take Gomezs spot and vice versa. They are too uptight when it comes to that - and how could it be any worse trying that when youve let up a league leading 7 SHG against?

How about timing a shot to the net when a player is arriving there instead of just standing there and taking a beating? How about some switching and some walking across the blueline for the point men? Some of these tactics should at least be tried. I see the same crap every night and if they finally do change something up and give a different look - they are too scared to keep trying it. Thats the coaching staff. They are ******* when it comes to SUSTAINING a new look and giving it a shot, with lines and PP structure especially.

Also, a lot of the Rangers PP goals come off the rush. So if all else fails, play the PP like its even strength. Set it up from behind the net if you have to with Gomez. Thats one thing we havent seen this year - passes from behind the net that lead to goals. Get deeper instead of the perimeter play and have the defense take a step in. 5 in the picture... what happened to that? that should be used on the PP at times as well.

I just rattled off about 10 new wrinkles to the PP in 5 min.

Try something else ******* it!

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 11-20-2008 at 12:04 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:58 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
another 0/5 night. Definitely time to try a forward on the point, there is no creativity back there right now.

Carlos Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:04 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
It goes too slowly without form or strategy. "Fire Pearn" is probably my only solution at the moment and this is not really an adequate answer.

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Thefalkon

Put Prucha back on the power play. Wasn't he good on the PP in 05/06 before Shanny took all of his time?

Thefalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 09:25 AM
DutchShamrock

Our schedule picks up over the next two months. When we are playing better teams, our lack of powerplay scoring will mean losses. They nearly lost the game last night because of special teams, and if Florida converted that 5 on 3 they would have won it in regulation. I know the staff says that they are concerned, but their lack of change tells me otherwise. They are winning so Renney is reluctant to change. Once the schedule toughens up, they will lose because of special teams. Then they will change.

The powerplay troubles can be summarized in our 3rd powerplay, as in what's wrong. Perimeter passing, no skating, hesitation, and worst of all, no shooting. 90 seconds in the zone and no shooting. They got their best chance on a broken play with Callahan taking a low percentage (but quick) shot and Drury getting a rebound chance.

Then on Florida's 2nd powerplay, an example of what we need, they win the faceoff, guys drive to the net, one point man feeds Boumeister, who has his stick cocked and ready to shoot. What happens after is irrelevant in my opinion. Already, in 3 seconds, this is a much more successful and effective powerplay. They are on the same page and they operate with a purpose. They are decisive. Get the puck to the point, make a pass and shoot. Forwards drive to the net. It wasn't a perfect shot, it was high. But there was traffic and it hits someone, the goalie is screened, its a goal. That's coaching in my opinion. They don't have better players. They aren't as experienced.

Bottom line, our pp doesn't work. Either the coaches are at a loss and just ineffective with their ideas or the players aren't listening. Either way, the coaches have to make a change. Change your philosophy or bench the guys that won't get in line.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:09 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Our schedule picks up over the next two months. When we are playing better teams, our lack of powerplay scoring will mean losses. They nearly lost the game last night because of special teams, and if Florida converted that 5 on 3 they would have won it in regulation. I know the staff says that they are concerned, but their lack of change tells me otherwise. They are winning so Renney is reluctant to change. Once the schedule toughens up, they will lose because of special teams. Then they will change.
I was thinking the very same thing. The Rangers won the last 2 games because they played against terrible teams. If the PP had worked in either game they would have won in regualtion IMO but had to rely on Henrik to be a rock in the shootout yet again. The PP HAS to get better over the next month or the Rangers will be losing some tight one goal games, in regulation.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote