HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

10-18-08 Avalanche at Stars Noon MT (ALT)

Old
10-18-2008, 03:51 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post
I'd personally pay Khabibulin's salary at this point. I don't know how, but I'd find some way.
Finally a realistic answer to the goaltending issue.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
The Pwnerer
We are never give up

vCash: 500
Ahhh crap, I thought this game was later, can anyone fill me in on what happen?

The Pwnerer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:08 PM
AvalancheWarning

Send a message via MSN to AvalancheWarning Send a message via Yahoo to AvalancheWarning
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
we played well in the first, owned the second, and got owned in the 3rd but somehow pulled it off.

AvalancheWarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:11 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pwnerer View Post
2-1 Avs after one.
Stars score early in the 2nd, 2-2.
Avs go on a tear, dominate the rest of the period, go up 5-2.
Forget that a hockey game has 3 periods, allow Dallas back in it, get completely outplayed in the final frame. Are saved from OT and/or a loss only by Morrow being an idiot and taking 2 bad penalties in the final 6 minutes that brought pressure off the Avs. Still lucky to get out with a 5-4 win.

Hennessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:21 PM
Fire Brunet*

Shakeetch is awesome

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
This game has been a lot of fun to watch.
Agreed.

Now that the tension is done with and the final buzzer sounded, I can say without cringing that that was a very fun game to watch. I love it when Saturday morning games turn out this way.

The Smyth-Hejduk-Staz line is really flying now. If they all can stay healthy Staz could break 100 pts and Hejduk may return to his 40 goal potential that we all know he's capable of.

The "Punch Line" -- gotta love those guys. They've been so impressive thus far. Somewhere along the way McCormick became well versed in the art of drawing penalties over the summer. He's trended about one a game in this department.

After giving Wolski some flack last game, I can easily say that he was quite visible today. He used his physical tools to create space and set some plays up, and was rewarded again on the score sheet accordingly.

Defense had their lapses, but it was another consistent and well-rounded effort from this bunch again.

Raycroft wasn't anything special again. The jury's still out on him in my book. I say you start Budaj and see what kind of game he brings after seeing Raycroft nipping at his heels.

I'd also consider sending David Jones down at this point. His icetime was cut this game, and he didn't really have very many notable shifts.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Ellipson

Honestly? We would have won both games with Budaj in net, IMO, so start him again next game. I still want to give Budaj his 10-20 games before we take #1 away from him. We don't need another goaltending carousel.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:29 PM
ABasin
Viva "Our Structure"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
I'd also consider sending David Jones down at this point. His icetime was cut this game, and he didn't really have very many notable shifts.
IMO, the problem with Jones is that he can't move laterally at all with the puck, or at speed. He's simply straight ahead, and that's it. He has some good skills, but probably is going to be a limited player, unless he can do something besides skate straight ahead (even though he's got nice speed doing that for a big man).

Also, is Guite hurt?

If not, how would you folks feel about him at 3rd line center instead of Arnason? It would add some much needed defensive ability to that line, plus a hard working center. They scored about at the same pace last year anyway...

-AB

ABasin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:33 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
I'll be shocked if Budaj is in net for next game. After Granatool gave Raycroft 'a surprise bonus start' from his scheduled starts that just tells me that he's gonna Quenneville his goalies from here on out. He might be able to ride a 'hot' goalie for a while but he'll probably end up fooking them both up.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
IMO, the problem with Jones is that he can't move laterally at all with the puck, or at speed. He's simply straight ahead, and that's it. He has some good skills, but probably is going to be a limited player, unless he can do something besides skate straight ahead (even though he's got nice speed doing that for a big man).

Also, is Guite hurt?

If not, how would you folks feel about him at 3rd line center instead of Arnason? It would add some much needed defensive ability to that line, plus a hard working center. They scored about at the same pace last year anyway...

-AB
I'm in favor of that.

10-18-2008, 04:43 PM
chiavsfan

I wish we had a PK system..."running around like a chicken with your head cut off, while leaving the backdoor and all passing lanes wide open" is not a good style

chiavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:10 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Just got home from the game, was a LOT of fun. A few things I noticed watching the game live:
-Our PK blows. The Stars were free to do whatever they wanted, completely unimposed. They plopped a man on the top of the crease and he was left alone, he might as well have been on a date with Raycroft. Tucker and Smyth, on the other hand, were hammered any time they went within 2ft of the crease.
-Raycroft is either really rusty or really bad. He had some nice saves but his movement is really choppy, and there were more than a few times he lost the puck in a crowd.
-Wolski is due for a monster season. The Tucker and Arnason goals were a direct result of him busting his ass and making something out of essentially nothing.
-It's frustrating to watch the team completely dominate a game for 40 minutes and still almost lose. We got a huge break when the goal was called back as it killed all the momentum the Stars had.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:16 PM
hockeyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I'll be shocked if Budaj is in net for next game. After Granatool gave Raycroft 'a surprise bonus start' from his scheduled starts that just tells me that he's gonna Quenneville his goalies from here on out. He might be able to ride a 'hot' goalie for a while but he'll probably end up fooking them both up.
I'm quite certain now that our goaltenders have been fooking themselves up.

hockeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Buck33
drive to the net

Kinda makes one wonder how brendan morrow got to be a captain.

Buck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:33 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by detrude View Post
J
-Raycroft is either really rusty or really bad. He had some nice saves but his movement is really choppy, and there were more than a few
thats kind of harsh he made lots of good saves, i thought he looked fine other than the one goal in the 2nd. we hung him out to dry in the 3rd period neither goals there were his fault. and the pp goal they scored in the first was darn good. he also made solid saves when he needed to like in the second when we were up 2, he made good saves on morrow x2 and modono off of a good one timer. in my opinion if budaj was in net we would have lost. even when raycroft gives up a goal he doesn't let it bother him and he seems to make the next few good chance. budaj gives up one then it seems that before we know two or three more are in the net before we can regroup. then we are just trying to come back. i think it was stupid of the avs to say budaj is the number one in the offseason and not even give raycroft a chance to win it out of camp. they are obviously very close in talent but i think raycroft has a better mental game which in my opinion gives him the edge. i really am not opposed to the goaltender carousel we are one of very few teams that doesn't have a true number one guy we can ride, so it just makes sense to play the guy that is playing better hockey. right now that just happens to be raycroft. if his play slips and he starts playing worse we should go to budaj because maybe by then he will be playing better. he'll hit a dip then we go to raycroft. if by december neither of them is playing good hockey then we should start to look elsewhere, for an answer to our goaltending. but for now i say keep the goalie in who wins or is getting the job done.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:21 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
He and Svatos were fairly invisible because of who centered their line. I'll give you one guess who that is. Jones had a very good game against Philly so I wouldn't jump the gun on him yet.

DarioinDenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:27 PM
detrude
(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
thats kind of harsh he made lots of good saves, i thought he looked fine other than the one goal in the 2nd. we hung him out to dry in the 3rd period neither goals there were his fault.
Like I said, he made some good saves. I'm just pointing out his movement is VERY choppy and slow, and he lost sight of the puck on more than a few occasions. I noticed a distinct panic in his game when there was a big crowd around him, but that may be normal (I don't know). Lucky for him it didn't hurt him today. It could just be rust, but it's also possible he's always been like that. This is the first time I've ever seen him play live.

detrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I realize that you don't approve of the Granato hiring, but the 'Granatool' thing is painful to read. I'm sick of it already.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
I realize that you don't approve of the Granato hiring, but the 'Granatool' thing is painful to read. I'm sick of it already.
Especially since, outside the PK, he's really been an improvement. The PP is functioning the way we'd always hoped, and we've been dominant 5-on-5.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:17 AM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam sinister View Post
Especially since, outside the PK, he's really been an improvement. The PP is functioning the way we'd always hoped, and we've been dominant 5-on-5.
Still don't like Sakic on the point for the power plays though, but the PP has been much better, yes.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver View Post
He and Svatos were fairly invisible because of who centered their line. I'll give you one guess who that is. Jones had a very good game against Philly so I wouldn't jump the gun on him yet.
Well, I don't want to sell Davie down the river just yet...but it just feels like he'd be better served in the minors where he'd be a top scoring threat.

Right now he's in a complementary role on the lines they're putting him on. Most think he can develop into something better than that. 7 minutes of icetime doesn't help progress that role.

Ensane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 11:48 AM
NeverBeNormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hekic42 View Post
It's the Internet, someone will come up with something better eventually, especially if the Avs start to lose.

I'm posting here with a quick question. Did Stastny end up with three assists or not? Yahoo Sports and Nhl.com both have him with 1 goal and 7 helpers. Did they change the Liles goal back to Smyth?

NeverBeNormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBeNormal View Post
It's the Internet, someone will come up with something better eventually, especially if the Avs start to lose.

I'm posting here with a quick question. Did Stastny end up with three assists or not? Yahoo Sports and Nhl.com both have him with 1 goal and 7 helpers. Did they change the Liles goal back to Smyth?
Yes.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:17 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Well, I don't want to sell Davie down the river just yet...but it just feels like he'd be better served in the minors where he'd be a top scoring threat.

Right now he's in a complementary role on the lines they're putting him on. Most think he can develop into something better than that. 7 minutes of icetime doesn't help progress that role.
At this point I fully agree, send down Jones and play Guite on the same line. I don't think we'd see all that much change, though I am still holding out hope that Jones starts to show some flashes, and eventually plays like he did in the preseason..

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote