HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good article about the three local goaltenders

Old
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
HenriksBetter

vCash: 500
Good article about the three local goaltenders

I found this over on the newsday blogs. It is a good read and the first article i have seen that is actually giving Henrik his due.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...lumn?track=rss

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Celestial Black

Your right...it was a pretty good article.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:06 PM
LyNX27

Nice find... Some food for thought is this vid i dug up on youtube where they kinda talk about Broduer and Lundqvist and one of the guys almost refers to Hank as a kind of... Flash-in-the-pan type player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogvQ...eature=related

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyNX27 View Post
Nice find... Some food for thought is this vid i dug up on youtube where they kinda talk about Broduer and Lundqvist and one of the guys almost refers to Hank as a kind of... Flash-in-the-pan type player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dogvQ...eature=related
Thats the problem with how everyone compares Lundqvist and Brodeur. Everyone just goes right to talking about what Brodeur has accomplished and what Lundqvist hasn't. News flash, Brodeur has been in the league for 15 years so of course he has accomplished more. But when you look at the period of time that Henrik has been in the NHL, he has performed very close to the same level of Brodeur. That especially holds true in the past 2 seasons and hopefully will continue this season. Head to head Lundqvist has a 13-2-4 record in the regular season. Not to shabby. But unfortunately in a lot of peoples eyes Lundqvist won't be considered a worthy comparison until he wins a cup or two.

Old
10-16-2008, 09:51 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
Thats the problem with how everyone compares Lundqvist and Brodeur. Everyone just goes right to talking about what Brodeur has accomplished and what Lundqvist hasn't. News flash, Brodeur has been in the league for 15 years so of course he has accomplished more. But when you look at the period of time that Henrik has been in the NHL, he has performed very close to the same level of Brodeur. That especially holds true in the past 2 seasons and hopefully will continue this season. Head to head Lundqvist has a 13-2-4 record in the regular season. Not to shabby. But unfortunately in a lot of peoples eyes Lundqvist won't be considered a worthy comparison until he wins a cup or two.
I'm not a huge fan of the cup comparison game... only goalie who has really truely carried his team all the way to the cup was Hasek. This is a team game after all, not Pong, where two goalies fling a puck at each other.

Old
10-17-2008, 02:28 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the cup comparison game... only goalie who has really truely carried his team all the way to the cup was Hasek. This is a team game after all, not Pong, where two goalies fling a puck at each other.
Sorry to jump into this thread, but you have GOT to be kidding me if you are ensuing that Martin Broduer never led his team to the Stanley Cup. That's all I have to say.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 02:41 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Sorry to jump into this thread, but you have GOT to be kidding me if you are ensuing that Martin Broduer never led his team to the Stanley Cup. That's all I have to say.
brodeur may have helped lead those teams. but only just helped...hes missing all those conn smythes that roy has soo when it comes to a goaltender carrying an entire team on their backs theres VERY few who did...and hank does have the potential given a few more years

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2008, 02:45 AM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
Not bashing Marty, but he had a very good supporting cast. Between a great blue line, physical team, and a reinventing the way defense is played, he was one of the factors, but no where near as huge as Hasek for Buffalo.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:22 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragshockey88 View Post
brodeur may have helped lead those teams. but only just helped...hes missing all those conn smythes that roy has soo when it comes to a goaltender carrying an entire team on their backs theres VERY few who did...and hank does have the potential given a few more years
Not to mention he lost out to the losing goaltender for the conn smythe in 03.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
blue2noise

I'd also like to add that Marty's win record is not truly a record because Roy didn't have the luxury of shootout wins.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
I'd also like to add that Marty's win record is not truly a record because Roy didn't have the luxury of shootout wins.
Unfortunately shootouts are part of the game now and the wins are to. Brodeur would have broken the record regardless though. It just would have taken a little longer.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:05 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Just wait until our friends on the devils board read this...you're in for it blue2noise.

At the end of his career it's almost a given that EVEN if you subtract shootout wins, Marty will still hold the wins record over Roy.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:15 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
Not to mention he lost out to the losing goaltender for the conn smythe in 03.
And set the record for shut outs in the playoffs that year...some writers get caught up in the ' hot story' rather than the best player...

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:18 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanktasticVoyage35 View Post
Just wait until our friends on the devils board read this...you're in for it blue2noise.

At the end of his career it's almost a given that EVEN if you subtract shootout wins, Marty will still hold the wins record over Roy.
You're right...he will blow the wins record away by most likely 150-200 wins...it's not even gonna be close. Aslo when referring to Roy, he had the benefit of OT wins where goalies before him did not..so should his record not count? Give me a break.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:20 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Not bashing Marty, but he had a very good supporting cast. Between a great blue line, physical team, and a reinventing the way defense is played, he was one of the factors, but no where near as huge as Hasek for Buffalo.
I dont remember Hasek ever winnning a Cup in Buffalo?

Old
10-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

To rationalize that somehow Marty didn't lead the Devils to the Cup (or in any post-season charge) is laughable. Yah they've had some great players like Stevens and Gomer but he was clearly their best player in most of those series and putting a lesser G on that team would not have yielded the same result IMO. Common. The guy has carried the team on his back in more than one playoff win, that's for sure. No disrespect to the rest of the team, but no Marty, no Cup most likely.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
You're right...he will blow the wins record away by most likely 150-200 wins...it's not even gonna be close. Aslo when referring to Roy, he had the benefit of OT wins where goalies before him did not..so should his record not count? Give me a break.
200 wins is a lot. I know he is on 36, or something in that area, but he still has to stay healthy. He might not hold as well playing 75 games as he gets closer to 40. Not to mention that would mean he has to win at least 40 every season. Not saying it is impossible, but not going to be a cake walk either.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:38 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Brodeur, as much as I don't like him, is the best goalie of the modern hockey era.
I only say that because you cant compare todays goalies to guys that had no equipment. Marty may very well be the best ever and in 10 yrs if Hank is still leading us we can then start comparin ghim to Marty. Hank is one of my fave Rangers, but i dont understand why fans think its degrading to Hank to admit Marty is a better goalie and a legend

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:53 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Brodeur, as much as I don't like him, is the best goalie of the modern hockey era.
I only say that because you cant compare todays goalies to guys that had no equipment. Marty may very well be the best ever and in 10 yrs if Hank is still leading us we can then start comparin ghim to Marty. Hank is one of my fave Rangers, but i dont understand why fans think its degrading to Hank to admit Marty is a better goalie and a legend
Very nicely put..it is also unfair to Henrik to compare him to Marty..if they weren't so close geographically, the comparison would NEVER take place

Old
10-18-2008, 02:23 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
I dont remember Hasek ever winnning a Cup in Buffalo?
I was mentioning carrying that whole team on his back into the finals.

Old
10-18-2008, 03:32 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
add 40+ wins due to the 05 lockout then and see how he fares.

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:39 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeHockeyFan View Post
Brodeur should have gotten the Smythe that year.

7 shutouts, including 3 in final. 1.65 & .934 ...and the cup!

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
dont try and tarnish the most impressive record for a goalie. I think you are also forgetting the potential 40+ wins he lost in the lockout. thats alot more than he won from teh shootout, not to mention he would have had it anyway, just maybe later in teh year

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote