HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

10/18/08 - Rangers @ Detroit - 7pm

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2008, 10:35 PM
detredWINgs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Like I said and flyline88 said, if this is a type of penalty, then this penalty should be called 50 times a game.

Face it the REFS GAVE YOU THIS GAME Period.
Then I'm sorry for your inability to understand this penalty. This sort of thing does not happen 50 times again. A player being on the ice when his replacement comes on - yes. A player playing the puck while his replacement is still on the ice - no. Maybe you're a newcomer to the game of hockey (and I'm not trying to be condescending) but often times in games you'll see a player skate towards the puck about to play it, realize his replacement is already on the ice, and avoid it as if its a grenade. Likewise, you'll also see players literally jumping on to the bench if the puck comes near them while their still on the ice and their replacement is already in the play. Again, thats because if the puck were to touch him, it'd be a penalty.

The irony is, as far as "too many men" calls go, that was an obvious one. Consider this: If Voros DIDN'T touch the puck, and his replacement was still on the ice, AND THE PUCK SO MUCH AS HIT HIS REPLACEMENTS LEG BEFORE HE GOT OFF THE ICE, that too would be grounds for a "too many men on the ice" call.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:38 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Then I'm sorry for your inability to understand this penalty. This sort of thing does not happen 50 times again. A player being on the ice when his replacement comes on - yes. A player playing the puck while his replacement is still on the ice - no. Maybe you're a newcomer to the game of hockey (and I'm not trying to be condescending) but often times in games you'll see a player skate towards the puck about to play it, realize his replacement is already on the ice, and avoid it as if its a grenade. Likewise, you'll also see players literally jumping on to the bench if the puck comes near them while their still on the ice and their replacement is already in the play. Again, thats because if the puck were to touch him, it'd be a penalty.

The irony is, as far as "too many men" calls go, that was an obvious one. Consider this: If Voros DIDN'T touch the puck, and his replacement was still on the ice, AND THE PUCK SO MUCH AS HIT HIS REPLACEMENTS LEG BEFORE HE GOT OFF THE ICE, that too would be grounds for a "too many men on the ice" call.
I gotta say man...re-watch the game. About 20 times was your player NOT off the ice when your replacement played it..no penalty, as there should not have been....your guy is touching the bench waiting to get off(and like is stated, instead of him flying over and having skate blades go everywhere, they are allowed a grace period to step through the door as long as he is trying to stay clear of the play).

It was a messed up call....happens all the time...not sure why your trying to defend it? Again, next game...watch the benches only..and you will see this happen 50 times..at the LEAST.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:

Dude, take your god damn bias and red wings tinted glasses over to the detriot board and celebrate on how the refs gave you a victory because that is indeed what happened...

It was a BS penalty. Get it through your freaking skull. I understand since your a red wings fan that your probably excited but that doesn't change the fact that it was a penalty.

This penalty should now be called more often since apprantely it has been installed this year.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:42 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Low View Post
Actually, you were'nt robbed of anything. A Ranger was too lazy to get his arse off the ice and out his team on PK, wich they couldn't handle. Most of the calls in the game were ridiculous; all the touch hooks etc.

The Rangers couldn't stop little Juri Hudler on the power play goal, then Datsyuk stepped in with a steal from Gomey. Then the Rnagers couldn't stop Datsyuk as he retreived his own dump in, then the Rangers couldn't stop him as he played keep away for a few seconds. Then the Rangers couldn't stop Marian Hossa as he headed..uh..to the net, like that was a suprise to everyone.

Seems to me the Rangers just couldn't stop the Wings thats all.
Seems to me that the Refs are giving you wins like that.

Red Wings=Overrated

Because that's how you guys win games apprantely.

And that my friend IS ALL

Old
10-18-2008, 10:45 PM
T Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Seems to me that you're trolling, and that's all.
C'mon, is that what you guys do when someone new points out all the crying that goes on around here. Shout "TROLL!" Just because my first three post that all got deleted listed about 15 quotes of Ranger fans wining about a call?

Come on..it was actually a decent game, a great pace, a bit of back and forth, and thats all you guys can do is cry about the call?

Old
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Sports Archaeologist

Quote:
Incorrect.

"If in the course of a substitution either the player(s) entering the play or the player(s) retiring is struck by the puck accidentally, the play will not be stopped and no penalty will be called."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26485

In any event, the play as called today was MARGINAL at best. It depends on how one interprets what it means to be "on the ice." By the time the puck was touched by Voros (?), the retiring player was stepping onto the bench through the door (watch the tape). This is beyond marginal; one wonders why the call was made at that moment. As FLYline88 has argued, you could make a call like this many times during games.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:48 PM
h0ckeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Low View Post
C'mon, is that what you guys do when someone new points out all the crying that goes on around here. Shout "TROLL!" Just because my first three post that all got deleted listed about 15 quotes of Ranger fans wining about a call?

Come on..it was actually a decent game, a great pace, a bit of back and forth, and thats all you guys can do is cry about the call?
ok, it was a great game, with a great pace...so if you want to come here and talk about that than I'm all for it...but i mean anyone knows that pointing out that stuff and saying what you said is clearly going to get a harsh reaction on a opposing teams board!

Just let the people who are going to be upset about it vent in peace and if you wanna have good hockey talk then please proceed!!

Old
10-18-2008, 10:49 PM
T Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan4life90 View Post
Seems to me that the Refs are giving you wins like that.

Red Wings=Overrated

Because that's how you guys win games apprantely.

And that my friend IS ALL
Good stuff, dude. Brilliant. And thanks for proving my point. Want a tissue?

As far as being overrated, Babcock, along with most fans, consider the Wings to be middle of the playoff pack.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
I gotta say man...re-watch the game. About 20 times was your player NOT off the ice when your replacement played it..no penalty, as there should not have been....your guy is touching the bench waiting to get off(and like is stated, instead of him flying over and having skate blades go everywhere, they are allowed a grace period to step through the door as long as he is trying to stay clear of the play).

It was a messed up call....happens all the time...not sure why your trying to defend it? Again, next game...watch the benches only..and you will see this happen 50 times..at the LEAST.
Again, you guys are conflating 3 different plays and calling them all the same thing. Two of those plays - although strikingly similar to what happened in the game - DO happen all the time. The third one - albeit easy to confuse with the others - DOESN'T happen all the time, because when it does, it results in a penalty.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
T Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
ok, it was a great game, with a great pace...so if you want to come here and talk about that than I'm all for it...but i mean anyone knows that pointing out that stuff and saying what you said is clearly going to get a harsh reaction on a opposing teams board!

Just let the people who are going to be upset about it vent in peace and if you wanna have good hockey talk then please proceed!!
I came over here to see how the Rangers fans were liking Gomez (he's my buddie's best friend from Alaska), and to see what people thought about Naslund (I live in Washington state, 50 minutes south of Vancouver) as I'm hoping he finds a home in New York, but after pages and pages of whining I had to respond.

Old
10-18-2008, 10:57 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Well, how to sum up this game.

first 5 minutes horrid.
next 45 minutes, controlled the game.
last 10 minutes, slowly fell apart.

After they scored the 4th goal they held the pressure for a bit longer than slowly started falling apart and you could see the momentum slowly begin to switch. That bogus too many men penalty was the shot in the heart though. I think the Rangers could have held on if not for that.

Gomez was great tonight. I'll admit that Dawes had a good game. He was invisible to horrid the first period (missing that perfect pass came to mind) and beginning of the second, but started to come on in the middle of the second and did very well for the rest of the game. If he can continue to play like that then good, I just hope this isn't a one game thing.

Drury & Naslund still are playing cruddy. Korpikoski still hasn't been impressive. He's gotten 7 games now, I wonder how much longer until he's on the bus to Hartford for some seasoning, it took Dawes 16 games last season, but he at least had some goals during that time.

I've been really impressed by Sjostrom lately. He's been great on the PK and doing very well on the 4th line.

Mara is still the man and so is Girardi, Staal, Voros, Dubinsky and Zherdev.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:02 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Archaeologist View Post
Incorrect.

"If in the course of a substitution either the player(s) entering the play or the player(s) retiring is struck by the puck accidentally, the play will not be stopped and no penalty will be called."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26485

In any event, the play as called today was MARGINAL at best. It depends on how one interprets what it means to be "on the ice." By the time the puck was touched by Voros (?), the retiring player was stepping onto the bench through the door (watch the tape). This is beyond marginal; one wonders why the call was made at that moment. As FLYline88 has argued, you could make a call like this many times during games.
It may be incorrect, but sometimes the puck hitting your skates is called as if you play the puck with your skates. I misspoke in saying leg, as the too many men call is often made when this happens:
Quote:
If in the course of making a substitution, either the player entering the game or the player (or goalkeeper) retiring from the ice surface plays the puck with his stick, skates or hands or who checks or makes any physical contact with an opposing player while either the player entering the game or the retiring player is actually on the ice, then the infraction of “too many men on the ice” will be called.

As for the game, I did watch the tape. The Red Wings feed showed the too many men on the ice situation during the stoppage. Mickey Redmond even made a comment about it being too many men on the ice right when Voros played the puck, and the play continued for a second or two, and when the ref realized what had just happened, he made the call. Redmond then preceded to show the review. They froze the replay to show the puck hitting Voros' stick and his replacements legs firmly planted on the ice.

As for the interpretation of what it is to be "on the ice," I would think two skates on the ice would qualify, but I do appreciate your engaging in the debate in a knowledgeable way. Also, I doubt the Rangers feed gave you the same view that the Red Wings feed gave us. Home team coverage usually doesn't want to admit an infraction, but Mickey Redmond is usually one to be as unbiased as possible in penalty calling, because he for the most part hates the way the game is called today.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:10 PM
DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
I think some Red Wings fans are getting a little too cocky. President's Trophy, Stanley Cup? Guess what guys, you lost to Toronto, and Vancouver. How about you win a few more games before you start talking *****.
how about you win the Stanley Cup before you start talking *****. How long has it been?

Old
10-18-2008, 11:10 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Then I'm sorry for your inability to understand this penalty. This sort of thing does not happen 50 times again.
Your right it happens 100x all over the league in every game, all game long.

That was a ridiculous call. Watch the replay. Renny should send that vid in. He likely wont, but he should.

Hey you win some you lose some. 1 pt on the road in Detroit, back to back games is a valuable point.

I love the hustle and spirit the Rangers showed in that 3rd period.

10-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ View Post
how about you win the Stanley Cup before you start talking *****. How long has it been?
Would love to see this matchup in June. Good for the fans, good for hockey!

Old
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
T Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
Would love to see this matchup in June. Good for the fans, good for hockey!

It would be great. If the Rangers are there, and the Wings don't make it, I'll be the first one to cheer for the Rangers. If the Rangers are there and the Wings are there, I'll be the first one to wish the Rangers fans luck.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:40 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
If that penalty were called against the Red Wings, it'd be ********. The fact that it was called against the Rangers doesn't make it any less ********. To say the refs handed the Wings game, not true. The Ranger's half-assed first five minutes handed the Red Wings the game, the refs just poured salt on a slowly developing wound.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
lundy

I think we need to stop whining about he call really. I know that type of stuff is let go typically in games, and it's a bit b.s. to call it in such a close game...but we did have six guys on the ice. And regardless, the game just showed me that the Rangers are ****ing resilient, and this team is going to be legit this year.

How many of us actually thought that we would be 6-1-1 right now? I would've been really happy with 5-3.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:49 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

I missed the third period. But other than the first 5 minutes, the Rangers were really out there and giving the Wings a tough time. They finally woke up when it was 2-0 but boy did they start skating. I didn't think they would even get to OT against the Wings let alone come close to winning (yes, I think the Wings are an amazing team and truly fun to watch them play).

Looks like this proved that this team isn't a fluke this season (or so we hope!).

By the way, I'm loving the way Cally, Dawes and Gomez are skating. Gomez and Dawes looked great last season and they do this season as well (I would love to see what Prucha could do with Gomez as well, but no need to start a flame war )

LGR!

Old
10-18-2008, 11:58 PM
BlueBlooded

Send a message via AIM to BlueBlooded
Honestly if someone had offered me a choice of just taking one point before the game or actually playing the game out, I would have taken the point and ran so I can't be displeased with the result. However, after having watched it I feel like we could have easily gotten two points. That call was weak but it happens all the time and it'll even out over time. I won't lose any sleep over it.

Bottom line is we came to Detroit and got a point, I think that's more than most teams can say.

We also showed we can play with the big boys which I think is more important than the point anyway.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:01 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

I was out and couldn't catch much after mid way though the 2nd

sounds like a bs call apparently

but i think you have you have to happily take this point, we came our horribly and didnt give up

we might have not beat them, but we certainly made a POINT

LGR!

Old
10-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by peantbuttapruchatime View Post
I was out and couldn't catch much after mid way though the 2nd

sounds like a bs call apparently

but i think you have you have to happily take this point, we came our horribly and didnt give up

we might have not beat them, but we certainly made a POINT

LGR!
it was a VERY marginal call, and a call you dont see called very often, but technically, it was too many men on the ice if you want to interpret the rule by the most strict eyes humanly possible.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:04 AM
rvdnsx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
Firstly, i don't think "way better record", is even proper grammar. Secondly, congrats on your "way better record". We'll see who wins the presidents trophy tho, again.
You might wanna correct your pic in your profile, Hossa wears 81, not 18, I guess this is what happens with your Detroit Edumucation and a face that only a mama would consider loving on your best day!

Old
10-19-2008, 12:09 AM
peanutbuttacallytime
#therightway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
it was a VERY marginal call, and a call you dont see called very often, but technically, it was too many men on the ice if you want to interpret the rule by the most strict eyes humanly possible.
true..eh i think going to detroit especially after that start and still getting a point is a success for now..the character we showed also goes way beyond this point

Old
10-19-2008, 12:10 AM
rvdnsx

Bottom line is Detroit won tonight minus probably there best player. Luck goals or not luck goals The Rangers should have kept dictating the play after the 4th goal. They settled back a bit and the call was questionable but had to be made as there were obviously more then 5 players on the ice. Voros lets that puck go and not touch it and the Rangers would have 2 points instead of 1 point. The OT goal was an embarrassment as Datsyuk walked in 1 on 4 and Hossa snuck in a goal. All they had to do was take the body and not worry about the puck but not a single one did anything. But we did go into there house and dominate them, and its still early in the season but I think this Detroit team will not come out of the West this year because they think they are entitled to the Stanley Cup and are automatic but the Leafs, Canucks and now the Rangers have "beaten" them at home.

Closed Thread