HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

our sorry excuse for season ticket holders

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2008, 12:51 PM
  #26
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
I could care less about how much noise they make, I'm more mad that they go more so because it's an event and they want to please there buddies. They could care less at how well we really do, they shake it off in an hour.

There taking up great seats from the real fans.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:05 PM
  #27
Snoil11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 3,336
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
There taking up great seats from the real fans.
Nobody prevents you and the other "real fans" from paying $300 for the great seats.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:58 PM
  #28
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Man oh man do I hate the term, band wagoners. Every team has them, you need them for the game. They are the lifes blood of the NHL and every other sports franchise, music group, author...whatever.
That's they are though. Well over 90% of the pre-'04 regulars stopped contributing on this board a long long time ago. Many of them ended up at CP, but quite of few of the old, familiar names aren't popping up often there now either. Must be a reason why.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:22 PM
  #29
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Nobody prevents you and the other "real fans" from paying $300 for the great seats.
You can go to stubhub or whatever and pay double for a good seat plus a high service charge but it's just ridiculous.

Fact is most of the time companies by them to say they have them or have them as a sweetener for potential clients.

Lots of companies give them away to people to help improve there view on them.

In the end it's us Flames fans who want to go to the game and care about the outcome that suffers.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
  #30
Oilforblood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonetlumiere View Post
i know its only the 3rd game of the season, but it was the battle of ****in alberta.. for gods sake the oilers fans were louder than us at times..
I was over at a buddy's place watching Friday's game, the token Oiler fan in a basement full of flames fans, and they were seething over the very same thing. WE could hear "Go Oilers Go" chants clear as bell on his home theatre system... They were upset and I don't blame them. I was very surprised.

Oilforblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:51 PM
  #31
Hyde
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
That's they are though. Well over 90% of the pre-'04 regulars stopped contributing on this board a long long time ago. Many of them ended up at CP, but quite of few of the old, familiar names aren't popping up often there now either. Must be a reason why.
Maybe it is just the Message Boards themselves. I've followed the Flames my whole life but only got hooked on message boards in 2006.

There are all types of Fans.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:12 PM
  #32
Lunatik*
 
Lunatik*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Lethbridge
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
That's they are though. Well over 90% of the pre-'04 regulars stopped contributing on this board a long long time ago. Many of them ended up at CP, but quite of few of the old, familiar names aren't popping up often there now either. Must be a reason why.
since when does the date you joined a message board mean squat? You can follow a team for decades and then suddenly one day you stumble upon a message board. Maybe the reason those people are posting less and less is life... I know I am not nearly posting as much as I used to... life happens and message boards become irrelevant

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:28 AM
  #33
Pomeranian
Registered User
 
Pomeranian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
I could only hope to get season tickets someday. I never sit that close so don't worry about it. Each fan handles the cheering personally. The main thing is we are fans and yes, in Calgary, there are many Van and Oil fans too. Whatever. I cheer and scream and mainly clap my hands crazily! I don't worry to much about others.

Pomeranian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:50 AM
  #34
ArizonaGreenTea
Registered User
 
ArizonaGreenTea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,185
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
since when does the date you joined a message board mean squat? You can follow a team for decades and then suddenly one day you stumble upon a message board. Maybe the reason those people are posting less and less is life... I know I am not nearly posting as much as I used to... life happens and message boards become irrelevant
I can verify that Lunatik here was posting in January 2004 over at the 'official' Flames forum which was well before registering here, irrelevant as that is.

That said, I did lurk here for a while before deciding to join. Most of this forum's best posters jumped ship between the 03/04 season and the 05/06 season due to an influx of new fans who didn't have the same understanding for the game, combined with almost no moderation whatsoever, they went to the more structured and controlled CP. The moderators there struggled to keep the traffic from new, not so knowledgeable fans, from overwhelming the substantial, thought out posts from the fans who stayed with this team since before the Sutter years. While they didn't handle it all too well at first, at least they tried, which is a lot more than what HF did for this forum. It is actually the same reason I jumped from the Flames' official forum (not the ego driven grudge matches I had with several of their more prominent members, like some who would recognize me might think), which sunk almost as low as the Canuck's official forum, which had a section for incoherent babble called White Noise (it defined the section as a place where people who didn't feel like stringing together a proper sentence should post) to accommodate their 'contributors'.

That said, most knowledgeable posters jumped ship and sometimes when I check up on CP, I do recognize them.

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:50 AM
  #35
dookers9
Registered User
 
dookers9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,837
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilforblood View Post
I was over at a buddy's place watching Friday's game, the token Oiler fan in a basement full of flames fans, and they were seething over the very same thing. WE could hear "Go Oilers Go" chants clear as bell on his home theatre system... They were upset and I don't blame them. I was very surprised.
I'm thinking that it's relative to expectations and other comparisons. I was at both games, having grabbed tix at the 'Dome (Section 122) on my way back through Banff on a mountain holiday, and was home in Edmonton in time to get to Rexall (1/3 season ticket holder) for the re-match Saturday.

First off, allow me to remark at just how "cool" the Flames fans were with me and my wife given that we were wearing Oilers jerseys. Someone might think that Flames fans being respectful to an Oilers fan in Calgary proves the point of the thread, but we found Calgary fans to have shown plenty of class. Even on the C-Train back to our hotel!

Having said that, I thought Flames fans WERE pretty loud on Friday night, certainly the fans that were around us in our section (and they were in the lower bowl). IMO the Oilers played the better game Friday, so that might have influenced the volulme of Flames fans?

Back in Edmonton, though, I found an equal number of red shirts in the stands as I saw blue the night before. And the Calgary fans were screaming plenty.

As for empty seats at the Saddledome, I saw them initially but they disappeared - some late stragglers coming from having a few at the bar beforehand, I suspect.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 08:00 AM
  #36
Badger Bob
Registered User
 
Badger Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: in my happy place
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,286
vCash: 500
Mod-edit: deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
Most of this forum's best posters jumped ship between the 03/04 season and the 05/06 season due to an influx of new fans who didn't have the same understanding for the game
That was the main reason, because it resulted in deterioration of the threads. If there'd been similar discussions, they would've remained.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
combined with almost no moderation whatsoever, they went to the more structured and controlled CP.
Actually, the ability of the moderation changed sooner. It used to be that a mod had important responsibilities for helping to shape threads and cut problems off at that pass. That changed when membership here exploded, and the point system made it difficult to remove chronic trolls. They became similar to protected animals. This isn't just the Flames board, since there are still a few long-time HF members who lament the 'old days.'

Let me give an example: it used to be that Oilers fans would troll at their own risk on this board. Replies dealt with the issue, and it would eventually the offender would back out (sometimes after inviting buddies over) or the issue would die down. The way moderation changed was by adding the Report Post feature, as opposed to just letting the mod do his/her job and/or allowing posters to self-police. During my tenure, it was my tactic to carry on that tradition. Well, somebody complained about just such an instance. I made the point (from past knowledge) that it would run its course. It got me reamed out. The irony is that the poster (his user name is familiar) who complained also frequently baited on the Oilers boards.

All of the former Flames HF board mods vacated the premises but me. We've all shared the same experiences. Truth be known, Lanny advised me about what to expect. At the start of '03-'04, mostly everybody expected more of the same from the team. He told me that as soon as the team starts losing regularly, it was going to cause grief (not in those exact words). He was right, but fortunately, the Flames turned it around. Then we had the high class problem of watching Canucks, Sharks and Red Wings fans come and go with trash-talking.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
The moderators there struggled to keep the traffic from new, not so knowledgeable fans, from overwhelming the substantial, thought out posts from the fans who stayed with this team since before the Sutter years.
Some of that might have more to do with the new generation of fans. During the 'dark days,' there were plenty of younger posters. The difference was that they were eager to learn about the legacy of the game, finer points of the sport and more about the history of the team. Some of them jumped ship too. They've been replaced with is the XBox/Fantasy League types with short attention spans.

To be fair, there was a group of abrasive posters, joining the Flames fan base, even before '04. They took it upon themselves to "defend the team and its players." Every team has them among their following. Well, the team did suck during that time. Two of them were banned (didn't disagree with that decision then, but they've grown up since) and continue to post at CP now.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
While they didn't handle it all too well at first, at least they tried, which is a lot more than what HF did for this forum. It is actually the same reason I jumped from the Flames' official forum (not the ego driven grudge matches I had with several of their more prominent members, like some who would recognize me might think), which sunk almost as low as the Canuck's official forum, which had a section for incoherent babble called White Noise (it defined the section as a place where people who didn't feel like stringing together a proper sentence should post) to accommodate their 'contributors'.
Lanny alway felt the worst aspects of The Lounge infected the hockey boards. Hard to disagree, even if OT discussions do have a purpose.

That concept of White Noise does sound hilarious, but it had to be frustrating to deal with some of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Comedian View Post
That said, most knowledgeable posters jumped ship and sometimes when I check up on CP, I do recognize them.
It's true, many of them are still around, and probably occasionally even peak in here if the mood strikes. Others disappeared.


Last edited by Snoil11: 10-20-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Flaming
Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:54 PM
  #37
ca phe sua da
6 Rings
 
ca phe sua da's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 730
It's a hockey arena, not a state dinner; for god's sakes, stand up and cheer! That's what you're supposed to do.

At Rexall place (at my section anyways), you can see that the lower bowl is full of 'rich people', but they're not above starting the "Let's go Oilers' *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*" cheer or even the waive. Those who show up in the $10000 suits think it's a hoot and join in. I guess it's because we're more of a blue-collar town.

ca phe sua da is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:09 PM
  #38
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 500
I am from out of province and have only been to two Flames games. One was last season and my brother and I had club seats. We are both big cheerers and like to razz all participants in a game, even our favorite players (and of course the refs).

It just seemed there were all these rich prim and proper people there with free oil company tickets. Lots of them never even cheered. My brother and I felt like some rogue English soccer fans. We'd get up and complain about something and people would look at us like we were criminals or something.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
  #39
WingsLove88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
You can go to stubhub or whatever and pay double for a good seat plus a high service charge but it's just ridiculous.

Fact is most of the time companies by them to say they have them or have them as a sweetener for potential clients.

Lots of companies give them away to people to help improve there view on them.

In the end it's us Flames fans who want to go to the game and care about the outcome that suffers.
Dude, seriously who cares? The tickets are selling which means your team stays put.

It's stupid and useless to complain that they are there for entertainment...

Oh noes!!! Those guys paid good money and they're getting entertained!!!! DAAAAMN THEM...

As long as the tickets sell and the team makes money the team stays in place... so I guess if you want the Flames moved then there is a point to complaining....

WingsLove88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 04:24 PM
  #40
AZCOYOT
Registered User
 
AZCOYOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Who cares? People pay their money for the seats, good chances are they paid the money when the team sucked also when fans like you were Canucks or Oiler fans..

The only reason we have a team now is thanks to fans who ponied up the money.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 05:58 PM
  #41
mucca
Registered User
 
mucca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
It's become "cool" to go to the game, not to go and enjoy or cheer on the Flames. The people that sit beside talk about work or other non game related gab. Its sad but true.

mucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:20 PM
  #42
Split98
Registered User
 
Split98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
The only time it really, really upsets me is when it is during a Playoff game. Last year, game three (lower second bowl) this lady and was sneering at my group everytime we cheered. Really, I am not joking the Flames scored and she politely clapped.
Right there is the ONLY problem I have with quiet fans.

I'll admit, I find it lame to have a quiet arena but hardly consider it a requirement of a die-hard fan.

All that said, when I finally make it out West to the 'dome... there'll be one more screaming lunatic.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:23 PM
  #43
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam09 View Post
I could care less about how much noise they make, I'm more mad that they go more so because it's an event and they want to please there buddies. They could care less at how well we really do, they shake it off in an hour.

There taking up great seats from the real fans.
Those are primarily corporately owned seats, while the fans aren't the loudest, the corporations who own those tickets are the lifeblood of the franchise. Without corporate support you get the Nashville Predators experiance.

Overall, I enjoy games at the Dome b/c unlike many franchises in the league, the fans stick with the team well until their out of the game. There is still people cheering throughout the game, unless the Flames show up with a pisspoor effort.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:37 AM
  #44
bam09
Registered User
 
bam09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucca View Post
It's become "cool" to go to the game, not to go and enjoy or cheer on the Flames. The people that sit beside talk about work or other non game related gab. Its sad but true.
Exactly. Hits the nail right on the head. They'll just stand and clap for goals. Nothing else.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
  #45
HNJB*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out View Post
do you really think there's a rowdy lower bowl anywhere in the NHL?
Buffalo (and a couple other teams probably) doesn't sell tickets to corporate people like most teams, so the whole arena is fans. That is why so many arenas have quiet lower bowls, becuase its a bunch of boring ****ing businessmen.

HNJB* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
  #46
AndersEriksson*
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
I prefer 99% of all people when they are quiet.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:48 PM
  #47
AZCOYOT
Registered User
 
AZCOYOT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Soldier View Post
Buffalo (and a couple other teams probably) doesn't sell tickets to corporate people like most teams, so the whole arena is fans. That is why so many arenas have quiet lower bowls, becuase its a bunch of boring ****ing businessmen.
Well Buffalo isn't really the hub of anything corporate so that's not surprising.

Calgary is Oil Capital of Canada in terms of business, We won't see individuals buying up $25k a year seats so suck it up people.

I swear, it's like nobody remembers when these business people saved The Flames during the 2000 Flames Forever campaign..

Short memories.

AZCOYOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:39 AM
  #48
Oblivion
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Keep in mind these businesses are not only keeping the Flames profitable, but are also basically supporting the entire SE division through profit sharing.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.