HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Drury possible?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-18-2008, 05:46 PM
  #51
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
People are really underrating Drury. Last year he had 25 goals and played excellent both ways with not great line mates. Read every article about Drury, it says he is a terrific leader. He just needs to be playing Center IMO to get the full value of his face-off abilities and his defensive game.
Yea and he's not what this team needs. Drury is still a solid player for another team.

I rather have someone like Kovalchuk who can score 50+.

Package Drury with prospects and draft picks to get him here.

We all were waiting for Cherepanov to be our next big-time winger and now he's gone. We have NO ONE that's up-and-coming to be a superstar sniper. If we draft one this year, we'll have to wait at least 2-3 years for him.

This team needs a SNIPER!!! Not a Drury type player.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:48 PM
  #52
coolbean04
Registered User
 
coolbean04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,735
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PromNite View Post
You also never answered my previous question... what happens when Gabby starts off slow and Ranger fans demand a trade... who do we trade him for?
Did I ever mention Gabby? I started this thread to do whatever it takes to get KOVALCHUK.

So don't pin an often injured player on me.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 05:58 PM
  #53
acs204
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Yea and he's not what this team needs. Drury is still a solid player for another team.

I rather have someone like Kovalchuk who can score 50+.

Package Drury with prospects and draft picks to get him here.

We all were waiting for Cherepanov to be our next big-time winger and now he's gone. We have NO ONE that's up-and-coming to be a superstar sniper. If we draft one this year, we'll have to wait at least 2-3 years for him.

This team needs a SNIPER!!! Not a Drury type player.
We're 6 - 1 with Drury as our leader and captain.
Can this team use a sniper, yes.
Does that mean we should get rid of Drury, no.

If anything getting a true sniper on this team allows Drury to play where he should. A true sniper on Gomez's wing allows Drury to go to a 2nd/3rd line center and shut down the other team's top line, while also netting 20 goals, being a great penalty killer, solid on the powerplay, and a leader that this team needs.

Just because this team could use a sniper, doesn't mean Drury has to go.

acs204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:04 PM
  #54
Shake and Bake
 
Shake and Bake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 500
why does it matter if he was a ranger fan growing up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
agreed. Why would we trade our captain who grew up a rangers fan with a NMC. no freaking way would I trade him nor would he agree to it.

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:07 PM
  #55
Synergy27
Registered User
 
Synergy27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 4,599
vCash: 500
The vast majority of you people here who are bashing Drury are missing one HUGE point. The biggest difference between Drury and guys like Gaborik and Kovalchuk is the fact that Drury is a proven WINNER. That, my friends, is the only thing any of you should care about.

Sure Gaborik and Kovalchuk are going to bring you out of your seat and pot a few more goals than Drury. But they're also going to turn the puck over and cause quite a few more goals than Drury would himself.

Do I think Drury is overpaid? Yes.
Do I think we had to overpay to get him? Yes.
Do I like him on the team? Yes.
Would I trade him straight up for either Gaborik/Kovy? No.

Go ahead an call me crazy, but those guys wouldn't help this team, as it is currently constructed, to win. I'll stand by that forever.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:09 PM
  #56
Bury Your Head
 
Bury Your Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,861
vCash: 500
Exactly.

Drury hasn't done anything to deserve to be the Captain of this team. He has also done NOTHING to deserve a 7M contract, either. That's money that could have/should have been spend on a guy who can flat out score, no questions asked.

I like Drury, I really do. However, he is being used as if he is a great player when he's just a pretty good one. The Rangers have leadership in other players, and could have had a great Captain in Shanahan after Jagr left.

If they only didn't sign Drury...

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:13 PM
  #57
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,901
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The vast majority of you people here who are bashing Drury are missing one HUGE point. The biggest difference between Drury and guys like Gaborik and Kovalchuk is the fact that Drury is a proven WINNER. That, my friends, is the only thing any of you should care about.

Sure Gaborik and Kovalchuk are going to bring you out of your seat and pot a few more goals than Drury. But they're also going to turn the puck over and cause quite a few more goals than Drury would himself.

Do I think Drury is overpaid? Yes.
Do I think we had to overpay to get him? Yes.
Do I like him on the team? Yes.
Would I trade him straight up for either Gaborik/Kovy? No.

Go ahead an call me crazy, but those guys wouldn't help this team, as it is currently constructed, to win. I'll stand by that forever.


Ok here goes

Your Crazy

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:38 PM
  #58
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Seriously....if you wouldn't trade Drury for Kovalchuk...kudos to your dealer

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:51 PM
  #59
Fataldogg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
The vast majority of you people here who are bashing Drury are missing one HUGE point. The biggest difference between Drury and guys like Gaborik and Kovalchuk is the fact that Drury is a proven WINNER. That, my friends, is the only thing any of you should care about.

Sure Gaborik and Kovalchuk are going to bring you out of your seat and pot a few more goals than Drury. But they're also going to turn the puck over and cause quite a few more goals than Drury would himself.

Do I think Drury is overpaid? Yes.
Do I think we had to overpay to get him? Yes.
Do I like him on the team? Yes.
Would I trade him straight up for either Gaborik/Kovy? No.

Go ahead an call me crazy, but those guys wouldn't help this team, as it is currently constructed, to win. I'll stand by that forever.
Yes, you are crazy. Kovalchuk >>> Gaborik >>>>>>>>>>> Drury. Kovalchuk will make ANY team better. I'm sorry but he is world class talent. Adding 40 - 50 goals to your team cannot, in any way shape or form, make it worse.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:09 PM
  #60
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 8,514
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Trading drury = ridiculous

wanting kovalchuk when its his last yr on his contract = even dumber.
Are you suggesting that Drury is too much for Koval?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:44 PM
  #61
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Exactly.

Drury hasn't done anything to deserve to be the Captain of this team. He has also done NOTHING to deserve a 7M contract, either. That's money that could have/should have been spend on a guy who can flat out score, no questions asked.

I like Drury, I really do. However, he is being used as if he is a great player when he's just a pretty good one. The Rangers have leadership in other players, and could have had a great Captain in Shanahan after Jagr left.

If they only didn't sign Drury...
Really? Scoring 37 goals and leading his team to the ECF doesn't deserve 7 mil?

Drury might be overpaid right now, but if you're talking about the 06-07 Chris Drury, I'd gladly pay 7 mil for him. The fact that he hasn't shown up since arriving in NY really has no bearing on the conditions under which he was signed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
  #62
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UES
Posts: 6,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Really? Scoring 37 goals and leading his team to the ECF doesn't deserve 7 mil?

Drury might be overpaid right now, but if you're talking about the 06-07 Chris Drury, I'd gladly pay 7 mil for him. The fact that he hasn't shown up since arriving in NY really has no bearing on the conditions under which he was signed.
Yeah, that's not true at all. Those aren't $7 million numbers. He's a third line player and I'm sick of him. TRADE DRURY!

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:59 PM
  #63
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 16,530
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Yeah, that's not true at all. Those aren't $7 million numbers. He's a third line player and I'm sick of him. TRADE DRURY!

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:43 PM
  #64
The 29th Pick
By By Bernier
 
The 29th Pick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bergen County N.J.
Country: United States
Posts: 10,672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Really? Scoring 37 goals and leading his team to the ECF doesn't deserve 7 mil?

Drury might be overpaid right now, but if you're talking about the 06-07 Chris Drury, I'd gladly pay 7 mil for him. The fact that he hasn't shown up since arriving in NY really has no bearing on the conditions under which he was signed.
Sabres were stacked that year, all numbers were elevated a bit

The 29th Pick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
  #65
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,760
vCash: 500
You guys defending Drury need to WATCH Rangers games instead of following a live box score. The guy has been pathetic this season, and he is apparently healthy.

One assist and a -4 in 8 games when the rest of the team has been playing great. Some example the Captain is setting.

I would do anything to rid this team of his ridiculous contract. I don't blame Sather for wanting him. I blame him for expecting him to be worth the money he was given.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
  #66
h0ckeyman
Registered User
 
h0ckeyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,098
vCash: 500
Trade drury for morrow!!! :-D

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
  #67
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS
 
KotsyJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Would I trade him straight up for either Gaborik/Kovy? No.
If we had the opportunity to trade Drury straight up for Kovalchuk, it would be the happiest day of my life.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:22 PM
  #68
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,931
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
It's nowhere near silly...you tell me why he should be Captain...other than the fact that he makes $7 million? Because he's a hard worker, soft spoken, and respected? Sorry...not good enough.

put up or shut up...

I admire how ardent you are about this.I half-heartedly agree with you also, but we have to always remember, last season (in what we called an "off-year") he had 25 goals... very few were graceful, but 25 no less.

On the other hand, do you continue to pay a defensive center 7M, just because he's an all-American boy? How much do Langkow and Rolston make? Which brings me to another point...

Why wouldn't the Wild want a a two-way leader with a hard shot? They loved Rolston... and Drury is younger. Price-tag is a deterrent, bur it's not too far-fetched. For Gaborik, I'd do it.

Don't use the only-eight-games excuse , 'cause it's not cool an cynical in this case. The reality is, Drury has yet to find chemistry with anyone since he's been hear. Give him time, absolutely, but it might be time to watch him closely.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:38 PM
  #69
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,889
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
Learn the facts buddy.
a year extra still dosen't change the facts "buddy"

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:30 AM
  #70
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,592
vCash: 500
the team is 6-1-1........people have bad starts.....get the **** over it people....i cant believe this thread...seriously....this team is built around a core of players who play hard and are professionals....they are stop-gaps until the players in the system are ready......the reason drury was brought in is because he is a proven winner and is great at working with younger players and knowing when players need to be pushed and when players need to be comforted.....players like roy, vanek, pominville, briere all credit drury as the person who had a big impact on why they all had career years that year in buffalo and are better now for it.....he is here to lead and score big goals......period, end of story.....to me he looked pretty good tonite....naslund looked horrible

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:02 AM
  #71
czechmate25
Registered User
 
czechmate25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hershey, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,188
vCash: 500
Trading Drury would be one of the best things this team could do. 7 million dollars should be spent on game breakers, not 3rd line support players who can kill penalties.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:04 AM
  #72
slim399
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Boston
Posts: 347
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Just a few comments. I think it would have went a long way if Drury would have dropped his gloves with Langenbrunner and fought him, instead of standing there with his arms to his side. I would love to see that kind of emotion out of him.

I also think Drury is highly overrated, but like I said, in the right role, he is fantastic. I've describe that role a few times above.

I would not want to have Nedved, that's just silly.

And I do agree Dubinsky should be atleast wearing an 'A' Naslund has done nothing to deserve it.
Dude it was mental game between captains at the time. Both players are fired up but yet one team is losing. Langenbrunner a decent 2nd liner player challanges our captain who is prolly our best defensive player, PK and and who is on our first powerplay unit. Why take the bait in that situation? Throw a couple of punches and be stuck in the box for 5mins when your team is winning and needs your defensive style of play at its most. Say hes drops the gloves... the most that comes out of it is that he loses and the devils get amped up. Don't dare consider this situation to mess fighting, for the person who mentioned it. When Mess would fight... Was when his team was losing and was doing the same thing as Langenbrunner.

We all agree Drury is vastly overpaid for his skill set. Sather is getting old... and im guessing besides rebuilding this team "which he has done a solid job" he wants to win another cup! Gomez and Drury are guys that are proven winners and are clutch in the playoffs, that is the reason why they were given these large contracts.

Sure it would be nice to have these flashy guys like Gabs and kovalchuk... But havent we learned talent alone doesn't win you a cup- yet alone a playoff spot.

We are 5-1-1... The Drury/Gomez team yet not flashy, seems to be doing a pretty solid job.

And for why Nalund is wearing an A instead of Dubi. I feel that it was agreed upon in a previous post that a short term vet in Naslund was given a letter, becuase he would be leaving in a few years to give way to a player such as Dubi or Staal. Why rush a kid into a marquee role in one of the biggest spot lights in the game. I am as anxious as you but patience seems to be paying off.

slim399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:24 AM
  #73
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
You know what, I'll admit this... I wanted Drury on this team so badly when he was in Buffalo. Even a year before he signed, I was campaigning to my friends.

But the instant he signed, I started to regret it. I still regret the Gomez signing even more, but him I never wanted. I've known he was highly overrated ever since his rookie year and could never stand him when he was a Devil.

Point is, these Sather apologists keep making excuses. Why does Sather get a free pass here? Wow, what a great deal he made for Jaromir Jagr. Please. He got Jaromir Jagr for nothing because of a number of different factors, mainly economic. Not because he made a shrewd move out-maneuviring his peers for Jagr's services. Hell, we wouldn't have needed Jagr had Pavel Bure, who he acquired in the same fashion, hadn't gotten injured thanks to a dirty play from Curtis Brown.

Sather has dedicated over 27 million dollars to three players. That is super star money to three players, none of whom are superstars. Gomez, Drury, and Redden, are all among the top 10 overpaid players in the league. If you add in Rozsival, who is also somewhat overpaid, you have four of the five highest paid players on the team making over 32 million dollars.

I would say at least 2/3 of the teams in this league have a more impressive top four (goalies not included) than the Rangers do, if not more. What does that say about this team?

Sather has never done a great job running this team. He might be better than he was in the beginning, but that isn't saying much.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:32 AM
  #74
rozsival rox
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 51
vCash: 500
Drury is also INCREDIBLY clutch. I have NO FREAKIN IDEA why this hasn't been mentioned yet. He has made a career of scoring huge goals. Game breaker. Series winner. A player who has that sort of history and potential is worth a couple million more, imho

rozsival rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:12 AM
  #75
Banks3rdLineCenter
 
Banks3rdLineCenter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 2,052
vCash: 500
Like usual, I can see both sides of the argument here. It's always so easy to get pulled in by big names like Kovalchuk and Gaborik but it's not always the right way to go. Even though it's a different sport, as a Giants fan I always find my friends and I praying that Jerry Reese goes out and signs some big name free agent or makes some blockbuster trade, but they've been pretty succesful without doing that. So, I don't think that we really need to rush Drury out of here.

On the other hand, I never really get sold on these "leadership" and "intangible" arguments. How many Stanley Cups does Drury have? I'm pretty sure he won 1 with a STACKED team of destiny in the Colorado Avalanche. I might be wrong on that so let me know...

Jaromir Jagr won two Stanley Cups with similarly stacked teams in Pittsburgh yet I rarely ever hear the word "winner" used when describing him. Probably because we can think of much more descriptive words to describe him like "goal-scorer" and "play-maker" and "OMG 54 GOALS and 123 POINTS on a team that was supposed to be the worst in the league!" Scott Gomez won three Stanley Cups, yet the word "winner" and "leader" isn't the first thing that pops into most people's minds when we think of him. That's because we can point to on-ice factors to show his value. When I think of Scott Gomez I think of him maneuvering through the neutral zone with ease and being the best playmaker on this team. When I think of Chris Drury I think of... leadership... intangibles... Little League World Series champion.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.