HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trading Drury possible?

Old
10-19-2008, 11:36 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Brian Campbell?
Who has won nothing and just joined the team

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:40 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Gomez is earning his big contract too? Thats laughable.

The only player hes successfully meshed with in his year + here is Nigel Dawes.
Yes he is. No it's not.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better playmaking center in the East at the moment (besides the blatantly obvious Crosby). Since leaving NJ, his hands have improved and he's far-and-away our top stick-handler. So yes, he's earning it.

He has 7 pts. despite the fact that none of our forwards are scoring (despite the second line). You can give guys golden opportunities, but it's up to them to convert those chances.

He made Dawes look like a first line winger much of last night, that takes a GOOD player. Drury developed a good system with Callahan and Dawes for like a week last season, and then it ended.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
3 paragraphs is hardly a book but I guess you dont read much.

You know what youre right, he doesnt deserve it at all, lets just give it to Rozsival or maybe even Betts.

He shouldnt have to do jack ***** to earn it. WTF do you want him to do???? Stand on his head? He plays hard, gets his nose dirty, plays a fantastic 2 way game that the youngers guys can learn from, does all the little things, is highly respected by his teammates and his past teammates all there is great things said about him....If youre meaning of earning it is by scoring 90 points then you need help
No, I just don't read nonsense -- like what you wrote.

Drury won his only Stanley Cup on an absolutely STACKED Colorado Avalanche team, he also played for a offensive machine in the Buffalo Sabres. Maybe you're in love with Chris Drury, and that's OK. But if I'm Tom Renney, I don't have a Captain right now. He hasn't done anything to deserve a NYR "C".

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:45 AM
pzilla3

Quote:
I don't have enough time to read that book you just wrote, but I will say this. Drury has done nothing to deserve that "C" on his Rangers jersey. Great leader? I guess he's a freakin' magician in the locker room because it surely doesn't show on the ice, not this season at least. Clutch? I think people have put that tag on him a little too quickly. Prove that you're worth it first, then get rewarded.
Yeah I mean night after night being one of the hardest working guys on the ice is in absolutely no way leading by example or anything. It's like if a captain isn't as vocal as Mess was Ranger fans are ready to drive him out of town. In case you forgot, when Mess got here he got booed during his first season. Give Drury time before you hang him up on the gallows.

pzilla3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:45 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Who has won nothing and just joined the team
I'm pretty sure Naslund just joined our team, has "won nothing" and is wearing an A.

Maybe I'm alone on this, but I feel that a new member of a team, like Naslund or even Drury (it's only his second year), he should have to SHOW that he's worth of a letter for his new team. That's the main reason why the whole C-A-A thing has lost it's luster in the NHL.

Old
10-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzilla3 View Post
Yeah I mean night after night being one of the hardest working guys on the ice is in absolutely no way leading by example or anything. It's like if a captain isn't as vocal as Mess was Ranger fans are ready to drive him out of town. In case you forgot, when Mess got here he got booed during his first season. Give Drury time before you hang him up on the gallows.
Voros works hard, and so does Stephen Valiquette. Should they be Captains?

Old
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
3 paragraphs is hardly a book but I guess you dont read much.

You know what youre right, he doesnt deserve it at all, lets just give it to Rozsival or maybe even Betts.

He shouldnt have to do jack ***** to earn it. WTF do you want him to do???? Stand on his head? He plays hard, gets his nose dirty, plays a fantastic 2 way game that the youngers guys can learn from, does all the little things, is highly respected by his teammates and his past teammates all there is great things said about him....If youre meaning of earning it is by scoring 90 points then you need help
1. No he doesn't... if he did, I wouldn't be saying anything.
2. a two-game implies exactly what it says: 2 ways. He's playing one way, and until he scores, I'll be upset.

If Drury gets 25-30 goal and 60-65 points, I'll be happy, but he's certainly off to a bad start. He's bee3n as average as Betts and Orr, but no one dares to say it.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
1. No he doesn't... if he did, I wouldn't be saying anything.
2. a two-game implies exactly what it says: 2 ways. He's playing one way, and until he scores, I'll be upset.

If Drury gets 25-30 goal and 60-65 points, I'll be happy, but he's certainly off to a bad start. He's bee3n as average as Betts and Orr, but no one dares to say it.
Heck, I think Orr has been playing better.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:00 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Voros works hard, and so does Stephen Valiquette. Should they be Captains?
All I'm saying is that Drury brings a lot to the table besides point production. Neither of those two names have any relevance to this discussion solely based on the fact that it's comparing a 1st line center who all the players in the room respect to a younger winger who scored 14 points last year and a backup goaltender who's just truly finding his footing.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:02 PM
HenriksBetter

This can't be a serious thread. 8 games into the season with a 6-1-1 record and there is already talk about trading Drury because he is off to a slow start. He started off slow last season as well, yet he finished near the top of the team as far as points go. Be happy that other players are stepping up while guys like Drury and Naslund find their game. This is not the Rangers of the late 90's and early 00's that were very dependant on 3 or 4 guys. This is a TEAM effort with guys from top to bottom having to chip in here and there. Relax boys. All will be fine.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bury Your Head

Quote:
All I'm saying is that Drury brings a lot to the table besides point production. Neither of those two names have any relevance to this discussion solely based on the fact that it's comparing a 1st line center who all the players in the room respect to a younger winger who scored 14 points last year and a backup goaltender who's just truly finding his footing.
Right and after all this, I'm still wondering what Drury has done to earn his Rangers C.

Old
Vitto79

Quote:
Heck, I think Orr has been playing better.
Ummm first off I will defend Betts and Orr...............Betts is a perfect freaking 4th line C so why bash him?.............and Sjostrom works great with him on that line and the PK...........I also quesiton Orr playing but the guy has improved alot and he gives them SIZE upfront

As for Drury I just think he needs to find the right linemates

I know Cally did well with Gomer but I think they should keep it as Dawes, Gomez, Drury with Korpikoski, Cally, Naslund

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:05 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Right and after all this, I'm still wondering what Drury has done to earn his Rangers C.
If you'd give me a base to what you think he hasn't done that would qualify him to be a captain I'd be glad to retort.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
If you'd give me a base to what you think he hasn't done that would qualify him to be a captain I'd be glad to retort.
Anything that would seperate him from the rest of the pack. Right now, he shouldn't be a Captain.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:10 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Anything that would seperate him from the rest of the pack. Right now, he shouldn't be a Captain.
Specifics would be helpful in moving this discussion along.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Right, and I asked you what he has done to earn his C. You don't have any answers, so I will say this: Drury has worked hard and played OK last season. That doesn't warrant a C. I'd rather give Gomez the C before I give it to Drury, just based on the way he plays and carries himself on/off the ice. Drury has been a disappointment and a mistake, and giving him the C is sort of a way to make it seem like his contract was a good idea.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:14 PM
HenriksBetter

Quote:
He should have 6 game winning goals by now and be leading the league in goals, points, and +/-.

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:22 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Right, and I asked you what he has done to earn his C. You don't have any answers, so I will say this: Drury has worked hard and played OK last season. That doesn't warrant a C. I'd rather give Gomez the C before I give it to Drury, just based on the way he plays and carries himself on/off the ice. Drury has been a disappointment and a mistake, and giving him the C is sort of a way to make it seem like his contract was a good idea.
First off I believe grading either of our two big acquisitions last year on last seasons performance may be unfair. Team Jagr wasn't necessarily a place where they would thrive. Drury's history is that of a guy who not only scores game winners but at some of the most important times. We as ranger fans have seen this first hand, sometimes unfortunately (Buffalo playoff series).

If you'd like to talk about how a player carries himself on and off the ice what is your basis to Gomez being the better of the two in that aspect? From what I see Drury is more willing to give up the body on the ice for the good of the team. That speaks captain to me. As far as off the ice, how do either of us really know? We don't follow him or Gomez for that matter around, at least I hope not. We're not in the locker room. You know who is? Tom Renney.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:23 PM
pzilla3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriksBetter View Post
He should have 6 game winning goals by now and be leading the league in goals, points, and +/-.
See I must just have low expectations or something

Old
10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
First off I believe grading either of our two big acquisitions last year on last seasons performance may be unfair. Team Jagr wasn't necessarily a place where they would thrive. Drury's history is that of a guy who not only scores game winners but at some of the most important times. We as ranger fans have seen this first hand, sometimes unfortunately (Buffalo playoff series).

If you'd like to talk about how a player carries himself on and off the ice what is your basis to Gomez being the better of the two in that aspect? From what I see Drury is more willing to give up the body on the ice for the good of the team. That speaks captain to me. As far as off the ice, how do either of us really know? We don't follow him or Gomez for that matter around, at least I hope not. We're not in the locker room. You know who is? Tom Renney.
I'm referring to interviews and such.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
Yes he is. No it's not.

You'd be hard pressed to find a better playmaking center in the East at the moment (besides the blatantly obvious Crosby). Since leaving NJ, his hands have improved and he's far-and-away our top stick-handler. So yes, he's earning it.

He has 7 pts. despite the fact that none of our forwards are scoring (despite the second line). You can give guys golden opportunities, but it's up to them to convert those chances.

He made Dawes look like a first line winger much of last night, that takes a GOOD player. Drury developed a good system with Callahan and Dawes for like a week last season, and then it ended.
Gomez has had a good start to this season. He has proven that he has the ability in NY to create plays that lead to quality scoring chances. In his first season here, despite not going up against the #1 defensive pairing of the opposing team which was Jagr's job, he still put up 70 points which is a very respectable number. But lets not go overboard and say that we'd be hard pressed to find a better play making center in the East besides Sidney Crosby. What about Jason Spezza, Evgeni Malkin, Marc Savard and even Michael Nylander? But Gomez is doing a much better job living up to his contract than Drury.

SECONDLY; did anyone else notice that Colton Orr has produced as much as Drury this season and has a better +/-? Drury did not score a clutch goal last night against the best team in the NHL. For as great as we all hail Chris Drury is defensively he has the worst +/- on the team with a -4. Facts are facts. Sorry, I know there are a lot of Chris Drury enthusiasts in this thread but when you are NOT cutting it your are NOT cutting it. It's okay to admit. We have been riding the success of Dubinsky / Voros too much this season. When they go through a slump, which is bound to happen, a player like Chris Drury will have to step up and he hasn't yet and we are almost 10 games into the year.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
And yet he's WON NOTHING.....and the one playoff appearance he's had in his career so far....HIS TEAM WAS SWEPT!...by hmmm...the rangers yes
And Chris Drury winning a Cup on a team with a handful of legends, all-stars, and offensive prominence means... what? I'm pretty sure Kovalchuk could have won a Cup being on that team too. In fact, I'm pretty sure Betts could have won being on that team. It's the truth sorry

Secondly, I want to piggy back on one of your other comments. You said that Drury is something along the lines of a "fantastic two way player who is willing to get his nose dirty" in reference to how it is a commendable trait to be captain. I don't feel like looking through the thread to find it so I'm just paraphrasing. Now, that is a commendable trait for a captain BUT it sounds like you are describing another Captain in the Eastern Conference whom produces A LOT more than Drury, has a smaller contract, has more talent, is willing to fight, and speak his mind... Mike Richards is a Captain. He leads by example on the ice, scoring when it matters, producing in the clutch, playing a fantastic two-way game, better than most in the NHL, and does what it takes. Mike Richards would be an ideal Captain for this team if thats what you're looking for. Drury has played decent defensively, has shown he isn't quite ready yet to throw down the gloves with Langenbrunner, hasn't produced in the clutch for the RANGERS... yet and just hasn't done a lot of the things you're referring to. I don't care what he did with the Sabres or Avalanche, I care what he does here and so far 25 goals and 33 assists and the start he has been off to this year, isn't enough for me to be overly impressed and call him Captain. See how Jagr played in the Playoffs last year? That's how a Captain leads by example on the ice.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:17 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Didn't Drury get toasted defensively TWICE in the game against Buffalo? If Zherdev or Prucha or Dawes or anyone else on the team ever had two defensive lapses in a game leading to opposition goals everyone on here would be talking about their complete lack of "defensive responsibility" and "team play." Why does Drury get a pass? I remember even seeing a couple of people on the GDT saying "Drury must be sick or there must be some unknown injury." He has a bad defensive game and our way of explaining it is to grant him the benefit of an illness or injury?

As for him being captain, I don't really have a problem with it. Players will follow whoever they gravitate toward and if the guys in the locker room feel that Drury is their leader than that's fine. If they don't, they'll find another veteran to model themselves after like Naslund or Gomez or Rozsival. No big deal.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:35 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
far more likely you would trade Gomez....and get a better return.

I was waiting for some one to start this thread, I agree Gomez would be the guy to move, with Dubinsky coming along, Korps development progressing & Drury the captain it wouls seem the most obvious choice is Gomez, in nearly 100 games here he hasn't meshed with anyone, he has no chemistry here, it just doesn't seem like a good fit, it never did, it feels so forced.

Now with the untimely death of Cheraponov the Rangers have no big time winger coming though th system, Gomez along with picks & a couple of prospects would get us a dynamic winger, though it may have to come in a multi team deal.

Though if we trade Gomez it makes not signing Jagr to a new deal look even worse.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
It's been the Ranger way for years and years since Messier retired. Whoever is the biggest name/paid the most gets top line minutes and wears the A's and the C. That's just how it is unfortunately.
Slight disagreement tgere, Rucchin & straka wore A's there were @ or under $4million a year.

Kasper wore it in 06', he deserved to regardless of his salary.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote