HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anybody notice how the big teams don't seem to concerned about the new CBA...

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 01:43 PM
JR#9*

vCash: 500
Anybody notice how the big teams don't seem to concerned about the new CBA...

Lang to Detroit w/3yrs/15 million after they signed Hatcher to 6yrs/30 mil, the Nyr's adding Jagr's 44 million, even the Sens saying they're going to definetely pickup Bondra's 5 million dollar option next year.

I really just don't see a new CBA coming in and crippling the bigger spending teams.I firmly believe it will be very, very similar to the MLB CBA with minimal effect of crushing the salary structure of the bigger teams.

There was a whle thing on the Brewers and how they recieve 20 million in luxury taxes despite them trimming their payroll to 30 million down from 50 million a couple of yrs ago so basically the team is 70% funded by the rich owners while Selig lines his pockets by actually REDUCING his payroll and this is exactly what would happen w/smaller market teams in the NHL.

Old
02-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Melrose_Jr.

No one knows what's going to happen, so no one is conducting business under any assumptions other than that there may be no hockey next year. Detroit and Ottawa have big incentives and expectations to win this year. What choice do they have but to prepare as if they intend to win a cup?

Old
02-27-2004, 02:01 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
Lang to Detroit w/3yrs/15 million after they signed Hatcher to 6yrs/30 mil, the Nyr's adding Jagr's 44 million, even the Sens saying they're going to definetely pickup Bondra's 5 million dollar option next year.

I really just don't see a new CBA coming in and crippling the bigger spending teams.I firmly believe it will be very, very similar to the MLB CBA with minimal effect of crushing the salary structure of the bigger teams.

There was a whle thing on the Brewers and how they recieve 20 million in luxury taxes despite them trimming their payroll to 30 million down from 50 million a couple of yrs ago so basically the team is 70% funded by the rich owners while Selig lines his pockets by actually REDUCING his payroll and this is exactly what would happen w/smaller market teams in the NHL.
It's impossible for anyone to guess on how any part of the CBA will be put together at the end of the day. One thing that seems virtually certain is that neither side is going to budge off their salary cap/no salary cap postions. Right now, those positions are hardened in concrete and I don't think there will be any meaningful discussions until the middle of next season. It's certainly within the realm of possibility that the both the 04/04-05/06 seasons could be washouts.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Fletch

Does Detroit lose any salary after this season?

perhaps that's one of the reasons they can afford Lang, et al.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:10 PM
Sicilian

I don't think that any of the big clubs are expecting anything, but it isn't unreasonable for them to assume that any drastic action (such as a hard cap) would be implemented gradually and heavily grandfathered. over spending by the big markets is not a crime, as any system that allows it can be taken advantage of. you can't instantly punish the big market clubs for doing what was well within their rights. you need to give them a chance to ease into the new system without completely reversing the roles and making them tear apart their teams while the smaller markets maintain full team chemistry and consistency, something that is underrated in today's sports world.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:15 PM
JR#9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
I don't think that any of the big clubs are expecting anything, but it isn't unreasonable for them to assume that any drastic action (such as a hard cap) would be implemented gradually and heavily grandfathered. over spending by the big markets is not a crime, as any system that allows it can be taken advantage of. you can't instantly punish the big market clubs for doing what was well within their rights. you need to give them a chance to ease into the new system without completely reversing the roles and making them tear apart their teams while the smaller markets maintain full team chemistry and consistency, something that is underrated in today's sports world.

Exactly but some people are foolish enough to think that the NHL will come away w/some hard cap(which they won't even get) that doesn't even allow for the implentation to be grandfathered in such a way that it wouldn't have significant impact amoung the high salary teams.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:16 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
Well said but since when has Gary Bettman ever done anything that's been well thought out or made sense?

Old
02-27-2004, 02:45 PM
Laches

Who knows what's going to happen, the two sides haven't had any meaningful face-to-face discussions, but have been hurling pointless, empty rhetoric at each other in the press.

I don't know that there will be any kind of official hard cap, but you have to wonder whether even if owners are allowed to spend whatever they want, they'll do so again. They got themselves into a lot of trouble under this CBA by being unable to restain themselves, and the Rangers are the prime example of how blindly throwing money around doesn't get you anywhere.

My guess is that while there won't be any official limits on who can spend what, there will be practical ones, and you won't see some of the asburd contracts like we've seen in recent years, from the outlandish amount that Gratton got from Philly to any of the silly Ranger deals of the Holik and Kaspar variety in which role players are given long-term deals for franchise player money

Old
02-27-2004, 02:59 PM
JR#9*

The owners showed this summer that if THEY can make fiscally responsible deals that there would be no need for a cap.

All 30 teams will never be on equal footing as their is no central revenue source and this is the same exact situation as baseball and the CBA results will likely be the same as well.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:38 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
perhaps that's one of the reasons they can afford Lang, et al.
Yes, Detroit has almost nobody signed after this season.

I believe Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Chelios, Lidstrom, Hasek and a few others contracts all expire this year.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Yes, Detroit has almost nobody signed after this season.

I believe Yzerman, Hull, Shanahan, Chelios, Lidstrom, Hasek and a few others contracts all expire this year.
ooo, UFA's eh....anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Closed Thread