HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The WE DON'T NEED AN IMPACT FORWARD THREAD!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2008, 01:49 AM
  #1
Avim86
Registered User
 
Avim86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal , Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,512
vCash: 500
The WE DON'T NEED AN IMPACT FORWARD THREAD!

I'm tired of these threads , the habs are 4-0-1 so far and people are already trying to trade half the team for any available forward.
We have a great team , chances are we will end up first in the East with a top 5 finish in goal scored , so why sacrifice team chemistry to add more scoring depth. Maybe adding a vet D at the deadline could be a good idea but besides that our team shows no obvious weakness besides the inability to believe in themselves. I believe in the current roster and I definitely know they are in the right hands (Carboneau/Muller). I say no to Hossa , no to Sundin and no to Gaborik.

Go Habs Go , Sincerely

Concerned bored habs fan.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:49 AM
  #2
VancouverStingray
Registered User
 
VancouverStingray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
I'm tired of these threads , the habs are 4-0-1 so far and people are already trying to trade half the team for any available forward.
We have a great team , chances are we will end up first in the East with a top 5 finish in goal scored , so why sacrifice team chemistry to add more scoring depth. Maybe adding a vet D at the deadline could be a good idea but besides that our team shows no obvious weakness besides the inability to believe in themselves. I believe in the current roster and I definitely know they are in the right hands (Carboneau/Muller). I say no to Hossa , no to Sundin and no to Gaborik.

Go Habs Go , Sincerely

Concerned bored habs fan.
Well said. I agree 100%. We're probably going to be the top scoring team in the league again this year so I don't know why everyone is so hung up on adding scoring. If we need anything, it's minor tweaks in other areas like toughness or possibly on D. To be honest it's tough to pinpoint trouble areas because this team is solid.

VancouverStingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:48 AM
  #3
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
It means you don't want Kovalev on the team?????

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:01 AM
  #4
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
We already have two all-star wingers, one on the left side in Tanguay and one on the right side in Kovalev. Both have had their share of off-years, but most players do.

Talent wise, they are right up there.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:26 AM
  #5
peperebougon*
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,151
vCash: 500
A vet top 4 d at the deadline is all we'll need. No need for this right now though. Let another team eat his cap hit before we get him...the longer we wait the more we can get a high paid d man, wich means we can maybe get a better d-man if we wait. An injury to our top 3 would really harm us in the playoffs...we need a d-man to make us the perfect team. If we do get someone very good or elite, I can't see why we would not go to the SCF. Maybe key injuries. This team will realize how good they are. Then watch out. A couple players haven't even got their act together yet and we are missing higgins and Bouillon. Plex did not do much yet either...not that I am worried...

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:32 AM
  #6
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
A vet top 4 d at the deadline is all we'll need. No need for this right now though. Let another team eat his cap hit before we get him...the longer we wait the more we can get a high paid d man, wich means we can maybe get a better d-man if we wait. An injury to our top 3 would really harm us in the playoffs...we need a d-man to make us the perfect team. If we do get someone very good or elite, I can't see why we would not go to the SCF. Maybe key injuries. This team will realize how good they are. Then watch out. A couple players haven't even got their act together yet and we are missing higgins and Bouillon. Plex did not do much yet either...not that I am worried...
I used to think this too, but the way O'Byrne has played (well, good!) I'm not even sur we need that at this point. If Markov goes down, we are finished anyways.. He IS our transition game.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:42 AM
  #7
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,785
vCash: 500
We don't need nooooo impact forward

We don't need nooooo superstar

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:20 AM
  #8
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Yea who need a potential 50 goals scorer

The 1979 Habs should have trade Guy Lafleur, they had enough scorers !

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:43 AM
  #9
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea who need a potential 50 goals scorer

The 1979 Habs should have trade Guy Lafleur, they had enough scorers !
Trade a potential 30 goals scorer for a potential 50 goals scorers, what a bad trade...

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:44 AM
  #10
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,710
vCash: 500
Lets be serious for 5 seconds shall we?

Who doesn't need a top 10 forward in this league?

It blows my mind how you could say "no" to a player like Gaborik.

While we are 4-0-1, this will be a long season and the REAL challenge will come in the playoff where another superstar could buy us another round and possibly the cup. Before I hear all the whining/crying about Gaborik being unproven in the playoff, let me say this: performances in the playoff are highly dependent on overall team depth. When you are nearly the only threat on the Wilds roster you get the double coverage treatment, much like Kovalev got for so many years now. On a team with depth the superstars can play.

Think about it, what is best for us in the short term?

Roster A
Tanguay - Koivu - Gaborik
AK - Pleck - Kovy
Lats - Lang - Sergei

or

Roster B
Lats - Koivu - Tanguay
Ak - Pleck - Kovy
Higgins - Lang - Sergei

A >> B (Higgins 25 to 35 goals, Gaborik 45 to 55 goals)

Roster A we are a stanley cup contender.
Roster B we are a very good team close to contending.

It's also better long term, replacing Kovalev by Gaborik as our goto forward after this year, makes us stronger not weaker. Marian is only entering his prime.

All that being said, I'm all for trading Higgins for Gaborik, but for me, it depends on the others assets we will have to give. If Mcdonagh is in this trade, Min will have to pay more than Gaborik. Halak, I don't see why they would be interested in him, they have Backstrom and Harding.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:53 AM
  #11
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
If Higgins was the deal breaker in the Hossa package, I highly doubt we'll see him packaged for an injury prone and (slightly) inferior Gaborik...

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:58 AM
  #12
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea who need a potential 50 goals scorer

The 1979 Habs should have trade Guy Lafleur, they had enough scorers !
I hate those damn 50 goal scorers, Ovy, Crosby and all those other boring players must stay away from Montreal !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
If Higgins was the deal breaker in the Hossa package, I highly doubt we'll see him packaged for an injury prone and (slightly) inferior Gaborik...
Are you saying Gaborik is inferior to Hossa ?
I would have to disagree with you on this one .


Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-19-2008 at 10:54 AM.
JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:04 AM
  #13
Cyrrus147
Registered User
 
Cyrrus147's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I hate those damn 50 goal scorers, Ovy, Crosby and all those other boring players must stay away from Montreal !!!
Yea ! I really miss Joe Juneau, that guy was a real hockey player.

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:07 AM
  #14
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Are you saying Gaborik is inferior to Hossa ?
I would have to disagree with you on this one .
I think its a good arguement.

I'd prefer Hossa, he's FAR less injury prone than Gabby.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:10 AM
  #15
couz
 
couz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: montreal
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
Detroit won the cup, yet they saw fit to add Hossa.

No team is perfect and all teams can improve, if Gainey can improve the team do it.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:18 AM
  #16
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,870
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea who need a potential 50 goals scorer

The 1979 Habs should have trade Guy Lafleur, they had enough scorers !
Back in 1979 there was no cap issiues, The way the contracts have been handed out by Gainey this year, we managed to get a Robert Lang as our 3rd line center, acommodity no team in the league has, i, personnally, don't want to be a fan of the next Tampa Bay Lightning or the Atlanta Trashers, if we keep signing players around 4-6 mil, we'l be able to have a more versatile, more complete team. The way things are right now is perfect

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:26 AM
  #17
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Lets be serious for 5 seconds shall we?

Who doesn't need a top 10 forward in this league?

It blows my mind how you could say "no" to a player like Gaborik.

While we are 4-0-1, this will be a long season and the REAL challenge will come in the playoff where another superstar could buy us another round and possibly the cup. Before I hear all the whining/crying about Gaborik being unproven in the playoff, let me say this: performances in the playoff are highly dependent on overall team depth. When you are nearly the only threat on the Wilds roster you get the double coverage treatment, much like Kovalev got for so many years now. On a team with depth the superstars can play.

Think about it, what is best for us in the short term?

Roster A
Tanguay - Koivu - Gaborik
AK - Pleck - Kovy
Lats - Lang - Sergei

or

Roster B
Lats - Koivu - Tanguay
Ak - Pleck - Kovy
Higgins - Lang - Sergei

A >> B (Higgins 25 to 35 goals, Gaborik 45 to 55 goals)

Roster A we are a stanley cup contender.
Roster B we are a very good team close to contending.

It's also better long term, replacing Kovalev by Gaborik as our goto forward after this year, makes us stronger not weaker. Marian is only entering his prime.

All that being said, I'm all for trading Higgins for Gaborik, but for me, it depends on the others assets we will have to give. If Mcdonagh is in this trade, Min will have to pay more than Gaborik. Halak, I don't see why they would be interested in him, they have Backstrom and Harding.
The "short term" part of this trade is what makes me say "No!".
Gaborik might be a potential 50 goal scorer but he's also a potential 50 games a year player. Higgins is more to the Habs than goals (which we already score plenty of). He's leadership, he's great 2-way presence, he's a good penalty killer, he's media friendly, he's a part of the team's chemistry and, probably more important than anything else, he's an RFA that will more than likely be willing to sign a long term, cap-friendly deal at season's end.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
  #18
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Connecticut
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,844
vCash: 500
Short Term Thinking...NO Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Lets be serious for 5 seconds shall we?

Who doesn't need a top 10 forward in this league?

It blows my mind how you could say "no" to a player like Gaborik.

While we are 4-0-1, this will be a long season and the REAL challenge will come in the playoff where another superstar could buy us another round and possibly the cup. Before I hear all the whining/crying about Gaborik being unproven in the playoff, let me say this: performances in the playoff are highly dependent on overall team depth. When you are nearly the only threat on the Wilds roster you get the double coverage treatment, much like Kovalev got for so many years now. On a team with depth the superstars can play.

Think about it, what is best for us in the short term?

Roster A
Tanguay - Koivu - Gaborik
AK - Pleck - Kovy
Lats - Lang - Sergei

or

Roster B
Lats - Koivu - Tanguay
Ak - Pleck - Kovy
Higgins - Lang - Sergei

A >> B (Higgins 25 to 35 goals, Gaborik 45 to 55 goals)

Roster A we are a stanley cup contender.
Roster B we are a very good team close to contending.

It's also better long term, replacing Kovalev by Gaborik as our goto forward after this year, makes us stronger not weaker. Marian is only entering his prime.

All that being said, I'm all for trading Higgins for Gaborik, but for me, it depends on the others assets we will have to give. If Mcdonagh is in this trade, Min will have to pay more than Gaborik. Halak, I don't see why they would be interested in him, they have Backstrom and Harding.
It blows MY mind how people make these trades without looking at cap space!

You would have to move more than Higgins for Gabby folks...and not just a prospect! A front line player!!!!!!


Three other major points you failed to make.

1. Gaborik has a history of injuries.
2. He has already REJECTED a 7 million plus offer over a number of years...even if Montreal traded for him, you'd have to loose 2 good 30 plus scorers to keep 1 often injured 50 goal scorer!
3. People don't give this much thought, but its important....HIGGINS WANTS to be here...potential captain material and his off ice commitment to keep in shape and train is right the with Komo... this should INCREASE his career longevity.


Why would you trade a guy who is just STARTING to score 27 plus last year and he hasn't reached his potential yet... for a potential 50 goal scorer for ONE YEAR who you probably have no chance of resigning.

Would I try for Gaborik if he's truly on the market...of course I would; knowing its a rental, so the payment would be for that not a member of our core team who is just beginning to realize his potential. A combo of 2nd tier prospects, picks and any 3rd 4th line player that Minny would want would be my best offer, any I'm sure other teams in the league would top that based on short sighted thinking.


Thank God Gainey is building a winner for the long haul and is not short sighted.

IN 2-3 years your forwards could start with a BASE of YOUNGSTERS like this.

A.Kots
S. Kots
Higgins
Lats
MaxPac
Maxwell

with money to sign vets after koivu and kovy are no longer with the team.

As other posters mentioned...we need one more puck moving Dman... because if Markov goes down, who is moving the puck to our forward AND manning the point on the PP.

That is our ONLY need right now.


Last edited by nyhabsfan: 10-19-2008 at 10:47 AM.
nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:57 AM
  #19
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrrus147 View Post
Yea ! I really miss Joe Juneau, that guy was a real hockey player.
This is such a stupid post..... there are no Joe Juneaus on the roster right now... we have outstanding depth.

Bringing in a Gaborik with a huge contract will deplete that depth.... you won't be able to put together a third line like we have right now.... and you can welcome back cheap filler players in the Joe Juneau mold again.

Depth > a 50 goal superstar.... especially when that star is often injured.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:01 AM
  #20
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Detroit won the cup, yet they saw fit to add Hossa.

No team is perfect and all teams can improve, if Gainey can improve the team do it.
Thats why Hossa is there on a 1-year deal, they need to re-sign Zetterberg this summer who is going to make Lidstrom + type money. They cannot keep him past this season, and they know that going in. They can't afford to lose their depth, and neither can we.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:01 AM
  #21
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by avim86 View Post
I'm tired of these threads , the habs are 4-0-1 so far and people are already trying to trade half the team for any available forward.
We have a great team , chances are we will end up first in the East with a top 5 finish in goal scored , so why sacrifice team chemistry to add more scoring depth. Maybe adding a vet D at the deadline could be a good idea but besides that our team shows no obvious weakness besides the inability to believe in themselves. I believe in the current roster and I definitely know they are in the right hands (Carboneau/Muller). I say no to Hossa , no to Sundin and no to Gaborik.

Go Habs Go , Sincerely

Concerned bored habs fan.
Absolutely...that being said, BG will always be looking to improve on what we have...so if things change, we are in a good position to make good changes. All this Gaborik stuff kinda makes me shake my head, it seems way too early in the season to be looking at this type of move. On top of that our good start is putting us in a position of strength. BG is the type of guy, who seems to evaluate things every 20 games or so, let's at least wait until late November...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:18 AM
  #22
HotPie
Registered User
 
HotPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post



Are you saying Gaborik is inferior to Hossa ?
I would have to disagree with you on this one .
Yes, that is what I'm saying. Not saying there's a HUGE difference between them, but I believe Hossa is a better player. He's put up more points consistently throughout his career, and before you bring up that Gaborik plays in a defensive system, so did Hossa for most of his career.

Gaborik definitely has the edge in the goal scoring department, but it's not like it's a huge edge, Hossa is a 40+ goal scorer himself and has a more polished and better all round game.

When you factor in the fact that he's injury prone, then yeah I'd say Hossa is the superior player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couz View Post
Detroit won the cup, yet they saw fit to add Hossa.
Others have already answered better than me so I'll leave it at that...

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  #23
fredez
Registered User
 
fredez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
This is such a stupid post..... there are no Joe Juneaus on the roster right now... we have outstanding depth.

Bringing in a Gaborik with a huge contract will deplete that depth.... you won't be able to put together a third line like we have right now.... and you can welcome back cheap filler players in the Joe Juneau mold again.

Depth > a 50 goal superstar.... especially when that star is often injured.
This post if right on.

Tampa has tried the 3 headed monster theory and failed miserably because they had only one line that could score. We have 3 lines that can score right now and even with the AK-Pleck-Kovy line not working at full speed we are blowing every team away. Don't change a winning formula.

fredez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:19 AM
  #24
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Yeah! Of course! Let's trade for Gaborik to lose him, Tanguay, Kovalev and Koivu at the end of the year... Awesome idea! Haven't you guys learned from what the Penguins did last year?

You can't have both the butter and the butter's money. You have to take decisions, and as far as I'm concerned, I would lock up every damn player in this team for several years, because THIS team has the potential to win the Stanley Cup sooner than later... We're a Brad Stuart-like D-Man away from being a cup-winning team.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:22 AM
  #25
BigM1ke
Registered User
 
BigM1ke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Drummondville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLR View Post
Lets be serious for 5 seconds shall we?

Who doesn't need a top 10 forward in this league?

It blows my mind how you could say "no" to a player like Gaborik.

While we are 4-0-1, this will be a long season and the REAL challenge will come in the playoff where another superstar could buy us another round and possibly the cup. Before I hear all the whining/crying about Gaborik being unproven in the playoff, let me say this: performances in the playoff are highly dependent on overall team depth. When you are nearly the only threat on the Wilds roster you get the double coverage treatment, much like Kovalev got for so many years now. On a team with depth the superstars can play.

Think about it, what is best for us in the short term?

Roster A
Tanguay - Koivu - Gaborik
AK - Pleck - Kovy
Lats - Lang - Sergei

or

Roster B
Lats - Koivu - Tanguay
Ak - Pleck - Kovy
Higgins - Lang - Sergei

A >> B (Higgins 25 to 35 goals, Gaborik 45 to 55 goals)

Roster A we are a stanley cup contender.
Roster B we are a very good team close to contending.

It's also better long term, replacing Kovalev by Gaborik as our goto forward after this year, makes us stronger not weaker. Marian is only entering his prime.

All that being said, I'm all for trading Higgins for Gaborik, but for me, it depends on the others assets we will have to give. If Mcdonagh is in this trade, Min will have to pay more than Gaborik. Halak, I don't see why they would be interested in him, they have Backstrom and Harding.
Finally someone that's making sense! Amen!

Gaborik > Higgins. Everyone should know that! And I'm a big Chris Higgins fan! If you can get a quality scorer like Gaborik, you do it. Especially if the price asked is a guy like Higgins. But, of course, if we acquire Gaborik, it has to come with a long term contract.

BigM1ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.