HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bos-pit

Old
10-19-2008, 12:04 AM
louieleftwing

vCash: 500
Bos-pit

Lucic, Milan
Kessel, Phil

FOR

Staal, Jordan
Whitney, Ryan

Staal's a big body shutdown centerman. Helps B's weak PK. A real system guy that Coach Julien would love.
Whitney, obviously out now but back by Christmas, is a great puck-mover 5-on-5 and a blossoming PP qb to give the B's some depth behind Chara and Wideman.

Kessel adds speed up front that the Pens need. Unlike Dupuis, Kessel has the hands to play with Crosby.
Lucic is a young power forward to mix it up and replace Malone on Malkin's wing.

Really, a perfect trade.

louieleftwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by louieleftwing View Post
Lucic, Milan
Kessel, Phil

FOR

Staal, Jordan
Whitney, Ryan

Staal's a big body shutdown centerman. Helps B's weak PK. A real system guy that Coach Julien would love.
Whitney, obviously out now but back by Christmas, is a great puck-mover 5-on-5 and a blossoming PP qb to give the B's some depth behind Chara and Wideman.

Kessel adds speed up front that the Pens need. Unlike Dupuis, Kessel has the hands to play with Crosby.
Lucic is a young power forward to mix it up and replace Malone on Malkin's wing.

Really, a perfect trade.

/thread

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
No thanks from Boston and probably no thanks from Pitt. Staal is NOT what we need. Kessel is perfect for this team and he seems to be coming around playing with the right linemates. Staal is good, but not what we need...a pure goal-scorer. Whitney, again, is a very good player, but he's out for a while...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:35 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Don't think any Boston fans would be happy if they traded away Lucic. This trade favors the Pens IMO. Especially if they could use some of the cap space being gained to sign a shutdown d-man.

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:38 AM
heatley_fan*

I doubt Pittsburgh trades Staal for that package, let alone add Whitney.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spanky View Post
Yea...Sure. Whitney tips the scale in Bostons favor but Pitt would definitley trade Staal for Kessel and Lucic.

Old
10-19-2008, 12:43 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Quote:
You kiddin me? I'd trade Staal for two potential long-term top 6 wingers 7 out of 7 days of the week. (yes, Lucic would be a top-6 winger on the Pens... that's how shallow we are in that dept. right now)

Silas Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Crosberry87

Id do just Staal for those 2 in a heartbeat....add whitney and i'm not so sure.

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 12:51 AM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
You kiddin me? I'd trade Staal for two potential long-term top 6 wingers 7 out of 7 days of the week. (yes, Lucic would be a top-6 winger on the Pens... that's how shallow we are in that dept. right now)
Selke calibre forwards who can also score goals don't grow on trees. The only reason that I think Pittsburgh might trade Staal is if they believe their depth on wing is not good enough to compete, which is quite possible. When your top winger is Miroslav Satan, there might be issues. Nothing against Miro, but his prime is past him.

With regards to this trade, I don't think Lucic and Kessel are good enough upgrades on wing to warrant trading a young star like Staal, who has limitless potential.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 01:04 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
With regards to this trade, I don't think Lucic and Kessel are good enough upgrades on wing to warrant trading a young star like Staal, who has limitless potential.
Jesus...

Old
10-19-2008, 01:41 AM
wandk128

As a Boston fan, I HATE that trade. Would drive away a lot of the fans that Montreal series brought in.

wandk128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:33 AM
PsychoDad

Yeah, Boston gives up 2 of their only 3 young wingers with upside for a center, cause having Savard, Bergeron and Krejci, Hamill in the AHL and 6 centers drafted alone last year is still not enough. Makes perfect sense.

I love Staal, but he is not what Bruins need.

We have a need for a guy like Whitney... want a package of somebody like Kobasew, Axelsson, Lashoff or Nokelainen? Now we can talk about it.

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Padre Pio

Quote:
Lucic, Milan
Kessel, Phil

FOR

Staal, Jordan
Whitney, Ryan

Really, a perfect trade.
Ugh, no way, how about an equivalent trade? ... just send $10million cash (in small unmarked bills) to Pittsburgh in return for nothing.

Padre Pio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:21 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Lucic, Milan
Kessel, Phil

FOR

Staal, Jordan
Whitney, Ryan

Really, a perfect trade.
Have to say the value is close but i don't think Boston does this trade. Kessel could end up being the best player out of the four by quite a margin.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:29 AM
flannelman
default user

vCash: 920
While Whitney would help to answer the B's backend issue, it does create two holes up front, neither of which Staal files (imo).

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Riffo*

We don't need staal and Whitney is brutal

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:50 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

vCash: 50
Brutal proposal for Boston

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 08:52 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Why? Kessel looks like he is finally coming into his own (4 goals in 4 games), and Whitney is brutal defensively. Add that to the fact the B's don't need another center (I'm fine with Savard, Bergeron, and Krejci).

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:07 AM
wej20

Whitney isn't the greatest defensively but he is by no means brutal.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:14 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
boston has no reason to go for this unless it gets tilted in their favor. They're pretty happy with both these guys and the team as a whole.

10-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Gooch

Quote:
Lucic, Milan
Kessel, Phil

FOR

Staal, Jordan
Whitney, Ryan

Really, a perfect trade.
LOL I thought this looked familiar, this is pretty much what I proposed on the pens board, you thief!!!

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:38 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Id do just Staal for those 2 in a heartbeat....add whitney and i'm not so sure.
My god talk about overrated? I would not do M.L. for Stall streight up. Let alone add P.K. The Pens can keep Stall, A big no-way from me.

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

ahhh yeah... **** this trade proposal.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Gooch

I would expect that Bruins fans wouldnt be happy. Lucic is a fan favorite over there and rightfully so.

Whitney really isnt horrible defensively, if you watched the last playoffs he was one of the best defensemen on the pens defensively, I was extremely impressed with that side of his play. He also was playing on a freaking messed up foot, which he underwent surgery for over the summer. I think it's very likely he resumes his offensive capabilities from the season prior to last when he gets back.

Staal's stock right now is low, I won't deny that. He just has looked lost these first few games of the season. He still though is one of the premier shut down centers and penalty killers. I have no clue what is making him perform so poorly offensively so far but I don't really think that is a permanent thing.

The reason I like this trade is for the following.

Kessel appears to be showing that offensive edge he was originally drafted for. He is a right handed shot and seems to have adapted to the wing quite well. He is the type of offensively gifted winger that Pittsburgh needs. I am willing to bet that his numbers now are more likely to continue than be a fluke.

Lucic is the kind of player I love, the old style power forward (which the league needs way more of IMO). He would solve the toughness issues and be a guy who can stick up for his linemates while also being able to play on the top lines. I have a strong feeling he would've gone right after Ovechkin if he was playing on Malkin's line when those runs were being taken at him. We cant rely on guys like Godard or Bissonette when we just cant get them on the ice with the stars to protect them. Any enforcing they do is well after the fact and difficult to grab ahold of the offender without serious penalties coming in a one sided way.

Why Boston? well besides having two players we're interested in you also have a current need that pittsburgh will have too much of, puck moving defensemen. When Whitney returns in December we are going to have a tough time deciding which defensemen gets the shaft. Goligoski the rookie is on the bottom of the totempole but is doing a hell of a job and actually looks like one of the strongest out there. Letang seems to be switching to more of a 2way defenseman rather than mostly a puck mover. Plus we have Gonchar coming back later in the season as well. Someone young is going to get dropped, or we'll have 4 puckmovers out of our top 6 d, meaning two of Gill, Scuderi, Eaton will have to be dropped/waived/traded/benched. That really wouldnt bode well for our PK.

Whitney seems like a great choice for Boston since he is a premier puckmover. He has shown the ability to QB a PP, he has put up big numbersin the past, he is young and signed to a good long term deal. He played his college in Boston as well, if that matters.

Jordan Staal though is a tricky one. I do not know what his value would be to Boston. There seems to be decent Center depth already in Boston and he might appeal as a premier shutdown centerman. His defensive side is his strength, this needs to be understood when considering him. I think this is the real make or break part of the deal because if Boston really has no use for Staal this deal cant go through because he is pretty much the centerpiece.

You have to admit though, the value from the Pittsburgh side is there, these guys arent exactly schlubs we are proposing.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Riffo*

I'd drive Lucic to the airport if he was traded for Gonchar or Kaberle, but not Whitney.

Riffo* is offline   Reply With Quote