HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are you happy w/ your team's GM?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 02:38 PM
Spaceace

vCash: 500
Are you happy w/ your team's GM?

State your team & name of GM,and whether or not you're happy with his past trades,signings. And how he's doing right now.

For the Blues, Larry Pleau is pissing me off. Last year he got Valeri Bure & Osgood at the deadline. He traded Bure BACK to Florida for a pick. Then he traded Cory Stillman,a good player, to Tampa Bay for a pick. Blues could have used Stillman's production this year badly. I think he overpayed for Tkachuk 3 years ago (Handzus,Nagy,Taffe,and a future first round pick). Although I do believe he stole Weight from Edmonton 3 years ago (Hecht,Reasoner,and Horacek). But he gave Tkachuk & Weight insane contracts,the downside. He better do some magic THIS trade deadline. :mad:

Old
02-27-2004, 02:44 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Poile knows what he's doing, he's done a SUPERB job crafting the Nashville Predators into a physical/hard working old time hockey team.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:47 PM
TelperiŽn

Yes. John Muckler definitely knows what he's doing. Improved the Sens last year (with Smolinski, Varada and etc.), and did it again this year (Bondra). At this moment, I'm content to the point that I couldn't ask for a better GM.

I love how he doesn't mess up team chemistry by trading away an important existing player. He got Smolinski for Gleason (who has never played on the Sens), Varada for Klepis (again, never played in the NHL) and Bondra for picks and prospects. Oh yeah, he got Martin Havlat (and Havlat's stubborn agents) to sign, albeit a bit late, but still signed.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Most Leaf fans seem to be unhappy with JFJ but I'm reserving judgement for after the deadline, when I will probably reserve judgement until june.

Old
02-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Habs4ever

For Habs its Bob Gainey!!

he hasn't panicked yet even with so much inconsistency, even before the half point in season, he said this team was ready for playoff contentian even when we were out of it by good margin, but so far he's proven right and team has over achieved in many regards. he's given his words that he won't part with prospects for rental players, hope he keeps his word as Habs are in the midst of building a great franchise for many years to come, but who knows what he'll do in next two weeks, he has done little things so far Bringing in Begin and Langdon, who came pretty cheap contract and didn't cost anything, while he signed free agent Dagenais, who has become top two liner in no time. BG also bought out contracts of Chow, Mckay, and Auddie, and from looks of things they haven't done much in respective teams they signed with, while habs are rising with young talented team, he's every move has worked so far lets see if it continues!!

Old
02-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Rick Dudley (Florida Panthers), Very Satisfied. Why?
  1. He turned Svehla (which was a lost asset) into Lilja (even though he hasn't played so well this year, he is still basically something we got for free).
  2. Traded for Mezei for Weimer (who was eventually put on waivers). Mezei has played very well while here, despite two bad luck injuries.
  3. Signed Odelein who has played very well and sneaked into a top pair on our D.
  4. Traded for Kolnik who is on track for 25 goals if averaged over 82 games.
  5. Traded Valeri Bure for Mike Van Ryn, claimed Bure off of waivers (b/c we would have had to pay the majority of his salary anyway), therefore getting Van Ryn (who has been our #2 dman) for free.
  6. He has done a good job turning "salary dumps" into manageable assets.
  7. Has managed to work magic at the draft (namely picking Stewart last year).
  8. Helped get rid of Keenan.. Whew!
  9. He is just an overall nice guy. He is always willing to stop and talk to the fans.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:01 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

I don't have a problem with Clarke

Old
02-27-2004, 03:01 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
John Ferguson - I think its still wait and see/reserve judgement on him. Wouldn't say unhappy, I mean, the Leafs are still competing for top spot in the division, but wouldnt necessarily say happy either. Defense is still a concern. Don't think he will be judged in the end on minor moves like Jackman for Drake, or picking up Nieuwy and Klee (who wanted in anyways).

Old
02-27-2004, 03:02 PM
davemess

Penguins : Craig Patrick

I dont think he is going an amazing job but considering the circumstances and the financial restraints he is working under, i dont think we can expect much more at this point in the rebuilding process.If you look at the trades and deals he has made since last season ended he has done a solid job.

Trading up to get Fleury was a great move and the Jackman trade is looking solid so far. Moving Straka was the most talked about move during the season but the return was solid, Strbak has been impressive and the prospect starred at the WJC.

A lot of People slammed him for signing a few old guys for the team before the season started but most of have worked out in some way.

Buchberger has proven a great influence in Malones developement.
Orpik gives Bergevin a huge amount of credit for his easy transition into the league.
Eastwood has played pretty well defensively and is great in the face off circle.
Berehowsky was productive while here, if not frustrating at times.

We have spent the last 2 seasons knocking everything down and clearing away the rubble........ we've only just started to lay the foundations.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
beebs

Oil's Kevin Lowe? Can I put him up for auction?

Old
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
chicpea*

Re: Bob Gainey, Habs4ever. I also agree. BG is great. But you forgot his best move yet: helping out Brisebois when he needed it most. It has turned his career around.

Old
02-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Lateralous
New Jersey Devils

Yes!

Old
02-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeBeebs
Oil's Kevin Lowe? Can I put him up for auction?
I think Kevin Lowe has done a great job with what he has to work with.. I'd write a big long post describing the merits of acquiring players like York, Dvorak and Ulanov but it will just hijack this thread into a K-Lowe supporters vs K-Lowe haters debate

Old
02-27-2004, 03:58 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Burke's done a great job in terms of getting players to sign for reasonable contracts and crafting together a good nucleus for the club. Where he falls short, however, is the drafting and scouting. Granted, he got the Sedins, but other Burke picks haven't exactly dazzled anyone.
Overall, I'd say he's done rather well.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:02 PM
EroCaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Burke's done a great job in terms of getting players to sign for reasonable contracts and crafting together a good nucleus for the club. Where he falls short, however, is the drafting and scouting. Granted, he got the Sedins, but other Burke picks haven't exactly dazzled anyone.
Overall, I'd say he's done rather well.
Capitals: McPhee

Relatively. He's done moderately well under Leonsis. The Jagr deal was more ownership than front office, but the moves that followed, although good, only added fuel to a raging fire.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Youreallygotme

canucks: yes. some people seem to think he has the money to go out and get a superstar, he barely has enough money to pick up any player at all. Those people need to get their heads out of their ***** and go cheer for maybe the rangers.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:17 PM
kasper11

I'm an Isles fan. Need I say more?

Old
02-27-2004, 04:23 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Pretty much ditto what IlyaK17 said.

This year Mucks basically turned Shastlivy into Bondra and Simpson. Gotta like that Plus the addition of Smokes and Varada last year, without giving up any roster players at all (well, I don't really count Shastlivy), I gotta say I'm pretty damn pleased! On top of that, I really like the winning attitude Mucks brings to the organization.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Penguins : Craig Patrick

I dont think he is going an amazing job but considering the circumstances and the financial restraints he is working under, i dont think we can expect much more at this point in the rebuilding process.If you look at the trades and deals he has made since last season ended he has done a solid job.

Trading up to get Fleury was a great move and the Jackman trade is looking solid so far. Moving Straka was the most talked about move during the season but the return was solid, Strbak has been impressive and the prospect starred at the WJC.

A lot of People slammed him for signing a few old guys for the team before the season started but most of have worked out in some way.

Buchberger has proven a great influence in Malones developement.
Orpik gives Bergevin a huge amount of credit for his easy transition into the league.
Eastwood has played pretty well defensively and is great in the face off circle.
Berehowsky was productive while here, if not frustrating at times.

We have spent the last 2 seasons knocking everything down and clearing away the rubble........ we've only just started to lay the foundations.
I agree. CP doesn't get the respect he deserves. The Jackman trade looks great for the Pens (so far) and Strbak also played good, too bad he's injured. Picking up Tarnstrom off of waivers was also a great move, how he even got a fourth for Moran is beyond me. He has done a good job with his hands tied.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Bob Frickin Gainey is GOD!!- HABS

Gainey is God, this guy is the perfect gm for us. He brings class, character, charisma, experience, well liked by other gm's(old boys club), 100 times better trading than Savard and Houle put together, and he probably the 2nd best Captain the Habs ever had just behind Le Gros Bill.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
Vyse64
N64

vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Lowe has done a great job

Old
02-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Yotes03

Barnett is clueless as far as I'm concerned. The only consistency he's shown in his moves is cutting salary. Not only that but I can think of at least 3 examples off the top of my head where he has flat out lied to players. I wish we could give the reigns back to Fletch where they belong.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace
State your team & name of GM,and whether or not you're happy with his past trades,signings. And how he's doing right now.

For the Blues, Larry Pleau is pissing me off. Last year he got Valeri Bure & Osgood at the deadline. He traded Bure BACK to Florida for a pick. Then he traded Cory Stillman,a good player, to Tampa Bay for a pick. Blues could have used Stillman's production this year badly. I think he overpayed for Tkachuk 3 years ago (Handzus,Nagy,Taffe,and a future first round pick). Although I do believe he stole Weight from Edmonton 3 years ago (Hecht,Reasoner,and Horacek). But he gave Tkachuk & Weight insane contracts,the downside. He better do some magic THIS trade deadline. :mad:
Not my team but I live in Vancouver, so Brian Burke. Mind you it matters not what fans may think of Burke, ownership certainly seems to not be enamoured as they have refused to extend his contract.

Looks like his arrogant attitude and bully boy tactics have caught up with him yet again.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:17 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Lou > Every other GM in Professional Sports.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:27 PM
Flathead

Canucks; Burke has done a wonderful job with the wallet he has to work with. His only downfall is still believing in Clouts.

Closed Thread