HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are you happy w/ your team's GM?

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 06:34 PM
DevilFisch

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DevilFisch Send a message via AIM to DevilFisch
Team: The New Jersey Devils
GM: Lou Lamoriello
Thoughts: I'll drink his Kool-Aidô anytime.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:38 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Darcy Regier-Buffalo Sabres

Am I happy with Darcy?

HELL NO

He has made some pretty good trade's in the past however he wait's to long to pull the trigger,and doesn't sign free agents as well.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:39 PM
TelperiŽn

Er... nothing to do with my team, but I just want to make a small comment on the Habs' Bob Gainey.

I don't know that much about him, but I do have a lot of respect for him from what I've heard. Now, I think it was not too long ago when all the Hab fans were jumping all over Brisebois (sp?) for inconsistent play or something like that. The fans have every right to boo a player (especially since they pay for the tickets), but it was very classy and even courageous of Gainey to stand up for Brisebois and say enough is enough.

I think it showed a lot of support and belief in his players and his team. I guess I was just a little in awe of him after he came out to make that comment -- gotta give him credit for guts.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:42 PM
Nikkowar

Send a message via AIM to Nikkowar Send a message via MSN to Nikkowar
I'm not too happy with Clarke,but he's done a hell of a job when he needs too. Many times he's too quick to pull the trigger,but if it gets us to where we are now,then I can't complain.

Last edited by Nikkowar: 02-27-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old
02-27-2004, 06:44 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Bryan Murray has done well with free agents, replacing key players well, and I don't believe he's lost a trade yet. I'm quite happy with him.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Devil_Boy
Lou > Every other GM in Professional Sports.

Gotta disagree with you here. Best GM in hockey? Yes.

Old
02-27-2004, 07:17 PM
Dangerdanger

I am very satisfied with what kevin lowe has done for the oilers.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:23 PM
NJ_Devil_Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Gotta disagree with you here. Best GM in hockey? Yes.

2000-2001

ďI think Lou Lamoriello is one of the greatest GMs in professional sports,Ē Lightning assistant GM Jay Feaster said. ďEvery year, we have a seminar during the Stanley Cup finals and the NHL asks us who we'd like to hear as a guest speaker. My answer remains the same: I'd pay my own money to hear Lou talk about how he does his business. When he speaks, everyone in this league listens.''

---

That's good. I'm not the only one who thinks this....oh wait...Feaster said "one"...ah well, good enough.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:31 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Don Waddell-Atlanta

Plus:
Solid drafting
Gets very good value on minor trades and waiver wire pickups

Minus:
Terrible judge of NHL caliber goaltending
Will not give up quality to get quality
Sometimes a bit too tight with the pocketbook

Waddell is a very patient GM. He is not prone to making rash decisions, however sometimes that gets him in trouble.

Most Thrashers fans are very upset with Waddell not doing anything in late Dec/early Jan when the teams slide began. With all the injuries Waddell should have gone out and added some Top 6 support, but instead he waited it out for Heatley to return in Feb. That led to a 20 game slump.

I used to be a huge fan of his, but his recent decisions(or lack there of) have turned me off him a bit.

Old
02-27-2004, 09:50 PM
Hawkalyzer

Bob Pullford is the GM

not even gonna go into it

Old
02-27-2004, 09:57 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Dave Taylor has done a very good job. Far from perfect but very very good. He started with a bare farm system. Built a great NHL Team and if healthy the Kings would be a force.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:09 PM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
Capitals: McPhee

Relatively. He's done moderately well under Leonsis. The Jagr deal was more ownership than front office, but the moves that followed, although good, only added fuel to a raging fire.
That's the tricky part about McPhee. You just don't know what sort of decision-making power he has with Ted over his shoulder.

I'd like to think some of the debacles of the last few seasons are on the owner and not the GM, because if it was on McPhee, he should be out on his a$$.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:33 PM
sandman08

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
Don Waddell-Atlanta

Plus:
Solid drafting
Gets very good value on minor trades and waiver wire pickups

Minus:
Terrible judge of NHL caliber goaltending
Will not give up quality to get quality
Sometimes a bit too tight with the pocketbook

Waddell is a very patient GM. He is not prone to making rash decisions, however sometimes that gets him in trouble.

Most Thrashers fans are very upset with Waddell not doing anything in late Dec/early Jan when the teams slide began. With all the injuries Waddell should have gone out and added some Top 6 support, but instead he waited it out for Heatley to return in Feb. That led to a 20 game slump.

I used to be a huge fan of his, but his recent decisions(or lack there of) have turned me off him a bit.
in waddell's defence
i heard that pretty much every time he tried to acquire someone the guy on the other end of the phone would say braydon and he'd pretty well have to hang up after that heh because well it'd be stupid to trade that kid IMO

Old
02-27-2004, 10:33 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongofan
Rick Dudley (Florida Panthers), Very Satisfied. Why?

[*]He turned Svehla (which was a lost asset) into Lilja (even though he hasn't played so well this year, he is still basically something we got for free).
To surmise on this one, Dudley's been good so far with asset management. Something a lot of Lightning fans complained about.
Quote:
[*]Traded for Mezei for Weimer (who was eventually put on waivers). Mezei has played very well while here, despite two bad luck injuries.
more solid asset management. Traded a guy who was an overpaid checkin line center and turned him into a young, potential top four defenseman, while healthy.
Quote:
[*]Signed Odelein who has played very well and sneaked into a top pair on our D.
Only good vet he's brought in, but needs to try and get one maybe two more to help lead this team. might do well tradin Odelein at the deadline for picks/a prospect and pullin a Glen Wesley and be resigned with original team.
Quote:
[*]Traded for Kolnik who is on track for 25 goals if averaged over 82 games.
Asset management again. Took a minor league defenseman signed as a free agent and turned him into Kolnik, a potential 20g/40p player who is solid at both ends.
Quote:
[*]Traded Valeri Bure for Mike Van Ryn, claimed Bure off of waivers (b/c we would have had to pay the majority of his salary anyway), therefore getting Van Ryn (who has been our #2 dman) for free.
Great asset management. Traded an injured Bure and a 5th rd pick for Van Ryn and the rest of Bure's salary paid last season, then grabbed Bure off waivers so as to not pay for nothing with his contract bein bought out. bure comes back to Florida and plays to expectations finally and becomes a team leader. Also lends wife to pregame broadcasts regularly as eye candy.
Quote:
[*]He has done a good job turning "salary dumps" into manageable assets.
Really haven't been too many salary dumps. Yuskie and Ozo weren't performing to expectations, as they were over used, and in return Duds turns them into lower paid role players to fill out the roster while the kids develop in juniors. Let Ryan Johnson go for free.
Quote:
[*]Has managed to work magic at the draft (namely picking Stewart last year).
Restocked a barren farm system through shrewd draftin and scouting. Still needs to continue with this, as farm is still shallow outside of juniors presently.
Quote:
[*]Helped get rid of Keenan.. Whew!
Slowly integrated his own system from the head coach down through the minors through the AHL down to the ECHL with his own people. Brought in teachers to define roles and lead the kids in the right direction, as opposed to lettin the kids figure it out on their own, like Keenan.
Quote:
[*]He is just an overall nice guy. He is always willing to stop and talk to the fans.
met the man once and was pleasant. From all reports, I'd have to agree with this, even tho only limited contact with him.

Dudley has done a good, solid job rebuilding this franchise almost from the ground up. May be rushing things a bit with a playoff push, if he tries to acquire finishing pieces before this team is a serious contender in the playoffs. Needs to continue with solid draftin and havin the system bein taught throughout the minors so the kids will be familiar enough to make an impact when ready to make the step up. Needs to be patient in rushing the present team, but should trade off dead weight for servicable assets, regardless of how local fans feel. Ends justify the means.

Old
02-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Teemu

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no.

Old
02-27-2004, 11:18 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Lou = best, he can even build Basketball teams

Old
02-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
To surmise on this one, Dudley's been good so far with asset management. Something a lot of Lightning fans complained about.
Ahem...the guy who lost Jani Hurme and Stephen Valiquette for nothing is good at asset management? The only GM in NHL history to have paid for the privilege to trade DOWN from the 1st overall pick is good at asset management? (2002) The guy who traded Sandis Ozolinsh for NOTHING is good at asset management? I don't put much stock into his ability to whisk crap like Andreas Lilja out of thin air. Anybody can do that. He makes the odd good deal for youth, (Kolnik, Van Ryn, Nedorost), but that's all he can do.

Rick Dudley can do nothing but stockpile youth.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:05 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
I'm an Isles fan. Need I say more?
Still got us Hunter for a mid pick

besides that ill reserve judgement till AFTER the trade deadline

Old
02-28-2004, 12:47 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Dave Taylor has done a very good job. Far from perfect but very very good. He started with a bare farm system. Built a great NHL Team and if healthy the Kings would be a force.
I wouldn't say hes done far from perfect. Although, with all our injuries we cant be a western conference power house he's given us so much depth that we CAN compete.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:53 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
I don't know, I have to think about that one. :p

Old
02-28-2004, 12:56 AM
ohlund2.2

Pretty much..I just wish Burke would commit to taking that last plunge to push this team into the league's elite.

Old
02-28-2004, 02:53 AM
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkalyzer
Bob Pullford is the GM

not even gonna go into it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu08
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no.
Oh ... you guys beat me to it.

Old
02-28-2004, 04:59 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Ahem...the guy who lost Jani Hurme and Stephen Valiquette for nothing is good at asset management? The only GM in NHL history to have paid for the privilege to trade DOWN from the 1st overall pick is good at asset management? (2002) The guy who traded Sandis Ozolinsh for NOTHING is good at asset management? I don't put much stock into his ability to whisk crap like Andreas Lilja out of thin air. Anybody can do that. He makes the odd good deal for youth, (Kolnik, Van Ryn, Nedorost), but that's all he can do.

Rick Dudley can do nothing but stockpile youth.
Would you rather have paid Hurme' $1.2 to sit out with a back injury for an entire year? Havin paid nothing but a waiver fee and then bein reimbursed for Valiquette isn't really a loss for nothing when you gave nothing, plus Valiquette qould not have been the insurance policy Shields has been. Shields has been a great back-up to Luongo and somehwat of an additional coach to the kids on defense. As for Ozo, his $5.+ salary was doin wonders with consistent defensive lapses. If you have watched, or even read about, a Panther game recently you'd know that Matt Cullen was publicly challenged by Torchetti and has turned his game around and started to show why Dudley liked him. Trnka, while far from spectacular, has been a decent defenseman playin above his role as a 5th or 6th man on a defense that has missed one of its top three at some point, at one point all of them. And for gettin someone like Lilja, when you figure he did it for a lame duck Yuskevich after a "retired" Svehla you realize that it wasn't an everyday occurence, much like grabbin Van Ryn for the rental of Bure and a 5th rd pick.

Old
02-28-2004, 05:06 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Well, he hasn't made any deals he should regret so I think he's done well. Quite unspectacular but has always adressed our needs and is not hesitant to pull the trigger..

Old
02-28-2004, 05:16 AM
Profet

I can't put into words what I think Sather is doing to the NYR...
So I made a picture...
<=====

Closed Thread