HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are you happy w/ your team's GM?

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2004, 08:20 AM
Das Rancor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
he hasn't panicked yet even with so much inconsistency, even before the half point in season, he said this team was ready for playoff contentian even when we were out of it by good margin, but so far he's proven right and team has over achieved in many regards. he's given his words that he won't part with prospects for rental players, hope he keeps his word as Habs are in the midst of building a great franchise for many years to come, but who knows what he'll do in next two weeks, he has done little things so far Bringing in Begin and Langdon, who came pretty cheap contract and didn't cost anything, while he signed free agent Dagenais, who has become top two liner in no time. BG also bought out contracts of Chow, Mckay, and Auddie, and from looks of things they haven't done much in respective teams they signed with, while habs are rising with young talented team, he's every move has worked so far lets see if it continues!!
RW 21 Czerkawski, Mariusz 63 23 21 44 12 14 8 0 2 2 131 17.6

Leads the Islanders in scoring

Old
02-28-2004, 08:34 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11
I'm an Isles fan. Need I say more?
To be determined.
I will let you know what I think of Milbury after the isles season ends.

Old
02-28-2004, 08:39 AM
Liquidrage*

I think Clarke does a good job for what he's trying to do.

I just disagree with what he's trying to do.

He's always in win now mode and trying to win a cup with a bunch of vet trades and signings.

I don't agree with that. I think you have to develop your core because cups are won with a core of top players in their prime and those aren't the types of players that are available in trades (very often) or signings.

Old
02-28-2004, 09:56 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceace
State your team & name of GM,and whether or not you're happy with his past trades,signings. And how he's doing right now.

For the Blues, Larry Pleau is pissing me off. Last year he got Valeri Bure & Osgood at the deadline. He traded Bure BACK to Florida for a pick. Then he traded Cory Stillman,a good player, to Tampa Bay for a pick. Blues could have used Stillman's production this year badly. I think he overpayed for Tkachuk 3 years ago (Handzus,Nagy,Taffe,and a future first round pick). Although I do believe he stole Weight from Edmonton 3 years ago (Hecht,Reasoner,and Horacek). But he gave Tkachuk & Weight insane contracts,the downside. He better do some magic THIS trade deadline. :mad:
I am not sure how you can let a Corey Stillman go.. That was insane..

Old
02-28-2004, 10:10 AM
hockeyhomer99

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlyaK17
Er... nothing to do with my team, but I just want to make a small comment on the Habs' Bob Gainey.

I don't know that much about him, but I do have a lot of respect for him from what I've heard. Now, I think it was not too long ago when all the Hab fans were jumping all over Brisebois (sp?) for inconsistent play or something like that. The fans have every right to boo a player (especially since they pay for the tickets), but it was very classy and even courageous of Gainey to stand up for Brisebois and say enough is enough.

I think it showed a lot of support and belief in his players and his team. I guess I was just a little in awe of him after he came out to make that comment -- gotta give him credit for guts.
Without Gainey, we do not win the CUp in 99. He built Dallas into the team they are and still trying to improve on.. We have slipped a notch from the 99 bunch, but they just came together at the right time and without the owner bother him.. Doug Armstrong on the other hand has been about middle of the road..
1.) Derian Hatcher WAS NOT going to resign here no matter what.. He and his wife were from Michigan and he was going home, end of story.. Even
2.) Daryl Sydor- Under normal circumstances this would never have happened but when your under mandate from your owner to trim payroll, really cant blame him there.. Even
3.) Marty Turco- This was the blunder that nearly cost us the season. Marty had been a LOYAL TEAM player backing up the town drunk for two years and when Dallas made the decision to go with Belfour and make a run, Marty never whinned or cried about it.. Armstrong big screw up
4.) Don Sweeney- At the time it was "oh crap", now it's thanks god..Very plus
5.) Jon Klemm- All I can say is great trade.. plus

So it about all evens out in the wash, I was pissed at the Handling of Turco's deal but I guess I would have to give a slight plus on Army's job this season.. Now if we can keep Hick out of things, wished he was still dealing with the ARod thing..

Old
02-28-2004, 10:23 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
I can't believe I'm about to defend Rick Dudley, but here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
Ahem...the guy who lost Jani Hurme and Stephen Valiquette for nothing is good at asset management?
Hurme is over-rated big time, and Valiquette may as well be too. Sure, he'll be a great AHL player.

Quote:
The only GM in NHL history to have paid for the privilege to trade DOWN from the 1st overall pick is good at asset management? (2002)
I dunno, conflicting reports say that ownership forced him to make that trade. I.e., Glazer ?

Quote:
The guy who traded Sandis Ozolinsh for NOTHING is good at asset management?
Ozolinsh's weak defensive play at the time did not make him an attractive trade bait. It was that bad. Kudos to the Ducks on fixing him...or giving the world the illusion that he isn't that bad defensively. For years I was trying to find out why "defense" was in his job description.

Quote:
I don't put much stock into his ability to whisk crap like Andreas Lilja out of thin air. Anybody can do that.
I can't defend that. It is true. Panthers fan may overate Lilja.

Quote:
He makes the odd good deal for youth, (Kolnik, Van Ryn, Nedorost), but that's all he can do.

Rick Dudley can do nothing but stockpile youth.
I can't defend that either. Dudley hasn't proved nothing else beyond that, so he will probably be fired next season

On my GM, Rutherford, I dunno what to make of the guy. I think the franchise's overall loyalty will either be the bane of this team or the greatest thing to happen for them. If the Canes turn it around next season and if Rutherford can fleece (wow, this site's language filter is too PC) a team into overpaying for O'Neill then Rutherford will get a silent "vote of confidence" from me.

Last edited by HughJass*: 02-28-2004 at 10:27 AM.
Old
02-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Valiquette qould not have been the insurance policy Shields has been. Shields has been a great back-up to Luongo
Shields 3-3-1 3.38 GAA 0.88SV% He's started 2 games since December 1, how is that a great back up and insurance policy? I suspect that Duds knew something was up with Hurme and made no great effort to keep him because of that, but don't pretend that Shields has played well. Valiquette was still lost for nothing, which is the whole point (bad asset management) not whether he was better than Shields or not.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:28 PM
punchy1

Dave Stitch Taylor is one of the top three or four gms in the game for my money. He has made one great deal (and non deal) after another. We are still competing where many many other teams would have stopped and began crying "we have too many injuries" and it is as much do to him as it is Andy.

In fact, DT hired Andy so he takes some credit there as well. Straka was a very good trade (Strbak hasn't lit the world on fire but is servicable and Anshankov is going to be very good but so is Straka, good deal for both) and so has the rest of the deals he has made. His scouting team has us with one of the deepest prospect pools in the game (regardless of how absolutely off the last ranking has us where they had many of our lads graduated when they aren't and others ranked in ways that nobody else around the game does) as evidenced by our competitive young players on the team today. (Cammelleri, Frolov, Corvo, Barney, Brown, Zizka, Lubomir,)

I have to think that the rest of the business were right when they made him NHL executive of the year a couple of years back. Given the struggles we have had to deal with, I am very happy with his performance.

Old
02-28-2004, 12:53 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_Gretzky
I am very satisfied with what kevin lowe has done for the oilers.
really?

Old
02-28-2004, 12:57 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I'm probably gonna be consigned to Hockey Hell for this, but I have no real serious complaint with Ken Holland...he screwed up on Hasek big time, but I think getting Lang for what we had to give up he redeemed himself rather well.

Old
02-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos
Shields 3-3-1 3.38 GAA 0.88SV% He's started 2 games since December 1, how is that a great back up and insurance policy? I suspect that Duds knew something was up with Hurme and made no great effort to keep him because of that, but don't pretend that Shields has played well. Valiquette was still lost for nothing, which is the whole point (bad asset management) not whether he was better than Shields or not.
Shields is doin the job required of him, and has been sort of a second goalie/defensive coach for the team. That's where he's been a solid back-up, and he hasn't complained like Hurme did about playing time. He's been extremely supportive of Luongo, and regardless of his record, if Luongo went down due to injury, he could step in and play a string of games, unlike a career AHL goalie like Valiquette. People keep makin statements about how Valley was lost for nothing, but what did the Panthers pay for him? NOTHING. Only mistake Dudley made, which he's admitted to, was exposin Mason over Hurme in the draft.

As for everyone talkin bout Hurme, he couldn't fulfill the role of a clear cut back-up. His numbers sucked just as bad as Shields this year, durin the second half of last season when he saw more limited playin time. Hurme made a name for himself when Luongo was out hurt at the beginning of the season and lived off that afterwards. The team knew it was goin to be playin Luongo more often, which would only have made Hurme a problem in the lockerroom.

Old
02-29-2004, 01:00 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I've been very happy with Sutter. He's done a good job so far this season.

Closed Thread