HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buf-phi

Old
10-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

vCash: 500
Buf-phi

To PHI: Drew Stafford, Henrik Tallinder, Marek Zagrapan

To BUF: Jeff Carter

Philly needs a shakeup in the worst way, and I don't know if firing Stevens is the answer. This deal gets considered only because of their great center depth and Briere's return to the middle. Philadelphia gets an excellent defensive d-man with an even better 2.562 cap number and signed for two more years to help their awful d-zone coverage, as well as an 8.0 B winger in Stafford who will put up nice numbers next to Briere or richards this year. Zagrapan is an offensive center who's stock has dropped, but has been making strides in Portland. Philly also saves about 1.5 million in cap space.

Buffalo desperatley needs a center after Tim Connolly broke all of his teeth on scrambled eggs. Carter is a potentially a #1 and gives the Sabres a nice 1-2 punch with Derek Roy. Sabres give up their best defensive d-man in Tallinder, but have Mike Weber (rookie who NEEDS to play in the top 6) waiting in the wings.

Flaming welcomed

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I think that's too much going to Philly, honestly. Stafford, IMO will be as good as Carter...Spacek is a pretty decent D-man, despite his age.

I'm not sure either team does this one...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
chaosof99*

I agree that something needs to happen. I am not sure a trade will happen but if, I guess Carter is one of the main candidates to be traded since we currently have 5 NHL caliber players and a healthy scratch who can play center (Brière, Richards, Carter, Metropolit, Downie, Ross) and Carter is fairly valuable and will fetch good offers in return.

However, the reason your trade does not work out is the number of pro-contracts in Philadelphia. The NHL allows 50. Not counting Sbisa who will very likely be sent back to juniors, the Flyers are at 49. Even if you replace Zagrappan for drift picks, Holmgren wants to keep the 50th contract slot open in case of emergencies.

Also, while I believe the D needs some upgrading or a tougher training regimen or something, I do not see a trade for defensemen without moving defensemen. Once the injuries we have are out of the picture, we will practically already be overstocked with D-men, even with Sbisa back in juniors. Hell, even Hatcher talks about playing. Current d-men pool:
Timonen, Coburn, Väänänen, Sbisa (J), Alberts, Eminger, Kukkonen, Parent (I), Jones (I), Hatcher (I)
Yup, that's 10, 9 if you do not count Sbisa.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

There's no question both teams hesitate on this one, but Philly needs good defense and a replacement (youth, potential, scoring) for the departure of J. Carter. And Buffalo needs an offensive Center in the worst way

Old
10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I agree that something needs to happen. I am not sure a trade will happen but if, I guess Carter is one of the main candidates to be traded since we currently have 5 NHL caliber players and a healthy scratch who can play center (Brière, Richards, Carter, Metropolit, Downie, Ross) and Carter is fairly valuable and will fetch good offers in return.

However, the reason your trade does not work out is the number of pro-contracts in Philadelphia. The NHL allows 50. Not counting Sbisa who will very likely be sent back to juniors, the Flyers are at 49. Even if you replace Zagrappan for drift picks, Holmgren wants to keep the 50th contract slot open in case of emergencies.

Also, while I believe the D needs some upgrading or a tougher training regimen or something, I do not see a trade for defensemen without moving defensemen. Once the injuries we have are out of the picture, we will practically already be overstocked with D-men, even with Sbisa back in juniors. Hell, even Hatcher talks about playing. Current d-men pool:
Timonen, Coburn, Väänänen, Sbisa (J), Alberts, Eminger, Kukkonen, Parent (I), Jones (I), Hatcher (I)
Yup, that's 10, 9 if you do not count Sbisa.

Had no idea Philly was in trouble with their number of contracts. Well then condsidering Sbisa goes back to Juniors...

To PHI: Drew Stafford, Henrik Tallinder, Marek Zagrapan, 5th round pick

To BUF: Jeff Carter, Lasse Kukkonen

or take out Zagrapan, the 5th, and Kukkonen and just add a 3rd from Buffalo...

Old
10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
chaosof99*

I think I didn't make it clear enough. If Sbisa stays on the team past the 9 games, this season counts as his rookie season and his contract will be the 50th. Holmgren only wants to use 49 contracts until the trading deadline in case an emergency signing or something is needed.

The first trade you suggested would have put us to 51 contracts. The ones you currently propose put the Flyers to 50 contracts. Both excluding Sbisa who will almost definitely be sent back to juniors because of both, performance and the contract number.

Old
10-19-2008, 02:31 PM
sabresfan129103

i like carter, but i don't like his contract.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Peter Griffin

What are the chances Lupul could be dealt for defensive help after getting off to a slow start?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
I think I didn't make it clear enough. If Sbisa stays on the team past the 9 games, this season counts as his rookie season and his contract will be the 50th. Holmgren only wants to use 49 contracts until the trading deadline in case an emergency signing or something is needed.

The first trade you suggested would have put us to 51 contracts. The ones you currently propose put the Flyers to 50 contracts. Both excluding Sbisa who will almost definitely be sent back to juniors because of both, performance and the contract number.

Amended Proposal:

To BUF: Carter, Kukkonen

To PHI: Tallinder, Stafford, 3rd

Contract issue bypassed, Philly still saves a nice amount of Cap space, add in 3rd round pick

Old
10-19-2008, 02:36 PM
Haute Couturier

Can we substitute Briere for Carter?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:38 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Jeff Carter:

4 1st round picks or something of the sort.

Don't like it? Walk away.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i like carter, but i don't like his contract.
Yep, thank Kevin Lowe for that

Old
10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Carter's not going anywhere, even though I do like that package. I'm a big fan of Stafford and if Tallinder can get back on his game he's lights out defensively.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Jeff Carter:

4 1st round picks or something of the sort.

Don't like it? Walk away.

How does that help the Flyers now? Exactly... they are built to win NOW. They went to the ECF's last year. Tweak them a little bit, and they are there again. Ranger's are overrated and hot right now, Pittsburgh isn't even close to what they were, Devils can be beaten, etc.

Old
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
Amended Proposal:

To BUF: Carter, Kukkonen

To PHI: Tallinder, Stafford, 3rd

Contract issue bypassed, Philly still saves a nice amount of Cap space, add in 3rd round pick
That might work, but I am not really knowledgeable enough about the Sabres players to make this call. I'm certainly for kicking out Stevens and playing a few games under a new coach before going into trading territory.

Anyways: Friendship

Old
10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
How does that help the Flyers now? Exactly... they are built to win NOW. They went to the ECF's last year. Tweak them a little bit, and they are there again. Ranger's are overrated and hot right now, Pittsburgh isn't even close to what they were, Devils can be beaten, etc.
If you looked at our prospect pipeline and our current core of players you'd realize we're built to win for the next 15 years.

Old
10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
If you looked at our prospect pipeline and our current core of players you'd realize we're built to win for the next 15 years.
That's certainly pushing it.

Old
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Ok, yeah. Cannon is only for the next 11 years under contract ;D

Old
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Ok, yeah. Cannon is only for the next 11 years under contract ;D

That sounds about right

Old
10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Okay, I'll say 13 years. The only real thing we need is a goaltending prospect. The defense for the future is set with Coburn, Sbisa, Parent, maybe Jones, Ratchuk, Marshall, and Bodrov. The offense has Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell, Gagne and Briere to a certain extent, vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, and other role players. I'm confident we'll get a good goalie prospect in this upcoming draft who we can develop, and that will be our only hole.

Old
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Nikita Filatov*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Okay, I'll say 13 years. The only real thing we need is a goaltending prospect. The defense for the future is set with Coburn, Sbisa, Parent, maybe Jones, Ratchuk, Marshall, and Bodrov. The offense has Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell, Gagne and Briere to a certain extent, vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, and other role players. I'm confident we'll get a good goalie prospect in this upcoming draft who we can develop, and that will be our only hole.
There's no guarantee of anything nowadays. Your top prospects could bust...And of course there is a salary cap. It's near impossible to look that far into the future.

Old
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
Crosberry87

Jordan Staal would make a nice #2 center behind Roy, and he will come cheaper than Carter. What would you be willing to give for a potential future Selke nominee??

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Jordan Staal would make a nice #2 center behind Roy, and he will come cheaper than Carter. What would you be willing to give for a potential future Selke nominee??
Cue the onslaught of rabid Pittsburgh fans.

Old
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Kaktus*

If any team needs good assistant coach name Beruby please let us know.

Sign Beruby, get Stevens to go.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post

Never thought I'd see the day where he was offered

I'd Give Stafford plus... Gives Pittsburgh a nice and upcoming winger to mesh with Sid and/or Geno.