HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buf-phi

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-19-2008, 02:05 PM
  #1
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Buf-phi

To PHI: Drew Stafford, Henrik Tallinder, Marek Zagrapan

To BUF: Jeff Carter


Philly needs a shakeup in the worst way, and I don't know if firing Stevens is the answer. This deal gets considered only because of their great center depth and Briere's return to the middle. Philadelphia gets an excellent defensive d-man with an even better 2.562 cap number and signed for two more years to help their awful d-zone coverage, as well as an 8.0 B winger in Stafford who will put up nice numbers next to Briere or richards this year. Zagrapan is an offensive center who's stock has dropped, but has been making strides in Portland. Philly also saves about 1.5 million in cap space.

Buffalo desperatley needs a center after Tim Connolly broke all of his teeth on scrambled eggs. Carter is a potentially a #1 and gives the Sabres a nice 1-2 punch with Derek Roy. Sabres give up their best defensive d-man in Tallinder, but have Mike Weber (rookie who NEEDS to play in the top 6) waiting in the wings.

Flaming welcomed

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:10 PM
  #2
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
I think that's too much going to Philly, honestly. Stafford, IMO will be as good as Carter...Spacek is a pretty decent D-man, despite his age.

I'm not sure either team does this one...

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
  #3
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I agree that something needs to happen. I am not sure a trade will happen but if, I guess Carter is one of the main candidates to be traded since we currently have 5 NHL caliber players and a healthy scratch who can play center (Brière, Richards, Carter, Metropolit, Downie, Ross) and Carter is fairly valuable and will fetch good offers in return.

However, the reason your trade does not work out is the number of pro-contracts in Philadelphia. The NHL allows 50. Not counting Sbisa who will very likely be sent back to juniors, the Flyers are at 49. Even if you replace Zagrappan for drift picks, Holmgren wants to keep the 50th contract slot open in case of emergencies.

Also, while I believe the D needs some upgrading or a tougher training regimen or something, I do not see a trade for defensemen without moving defensemen. Once the injuries we have are out of the picture, we will practically already be overstocked with D-men, even with Sbisa back in juniors. Hell, even Hatcher talks about playing. Current d-men pool:
Timonen, Coburn, Väänänen, Sbisa (J), Alberts, Eminger, Kukkonen, Parent (I), Jones (I), Hatcher (I)
Yup, that's 10, 9 if you do not count Sbisa.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:18 PM
  #4
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
There's no question both teams hesitate on this one, but Philly needs good defense and a replacement (youth, potential, scoring) for the departure of J. Carter. And Buffalo needs an offensive Center in the worst way

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:24 PM
  #5
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I agree that something needs to happen. I am not sure a trade will happen but if, I guess Carter is one of the main candidates to be traded since we currently have 5 NHL caliber players and a healthy scratch who can play center (Brière, Richards, Carter, Metropolit, Downie, Ross) and Carter is fairly valuable and will fetch good offers in return.

However, the reason your trade does not work out is the number of pro-contracts in Philadelphia. The NHL allows 50. Not counting Sbisa who will very likely be sent back to juniors, the Flyers are at 49. Even if you replace Zagrappan for drift picks, Holmgren wants to keep the 50th contract slot open in case of emergencies.

Also, while I believe the D needs some upgrading or a tougher training regimen or something, I do not see a trade for defensemen without moving defensemen. Once the injuries we have are out of the picture, we will practically already be overstocked with D-men, even with Sbisa back in juniors. Hell, even Hatcher talks about playing. Current d-men pool:
Timonen, Coburn, Väänänen, Sbisa (J), Alberts, Eminger, Kukkonen, Parent (I), Jones (I), Hatcher (I)
Yup, that's 10, 9 if you do not count Sbisa.

Had no idea Philly was in trouble with their number of contracts. Well then condsidering Sbisa goes back to Juniors...

To PHI: Drew Stafford, Henrik Tallinder, Marek Zagrapan, 5th round pick

To BUF: Jeff Carter, Lasse Kukkonen

or take out Zagrapan, the 5th, and Kukkonen and just add a 3rd from Buffalo...

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:29 PM
  #6
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
I think I didn't make it clear enough. If Sbisa stays on the team past the 9 games, this season counts as his rookie season and his contract will be the 50th. Holmgren only wants to use 49 contracts until the trading deadline in case an emergency signing or something is needed.

The first trade you suggested would have put us to 51 contracts. The ones you currently propose put the Flyers to 50 contracts. Both excluding Sbisa who will almost definitely be sent back to juniors because of both, performance and the contract number.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:31 PM
  #7
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,945
vCash: 500
i like carter, but i don't like his contract.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:34 PM
  #8
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,938
vCash: 500
What are the chances Lupul could be dealt for defensive help after getting off to a slow start?

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:35 PM
  #9
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
I think I didn't make it clear enough. If Sbisa stays on the team past the 9 games, this season counts as his rookie season and his contract will be the 50th. Holmgren only wants to use 49 contracts until the trading deadline in case an emergency signing or something is needed.

The first trade you suggested would have put us to 51 contracts. The ones you currently propose put the Flyers to 50 contracts. Both excluding Sbisa who will almost definitely be sent back to juniors because of both, performance and the contract number.


Amended Proposal:

To BUF: Carter, Kukkonen

To PHI: Tallinder, Stafford, 3rd

Contract issue bypassed, Philly still saves a nice amount of Cap space, add in 3rd round pick

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:36 PM
  #10
Haute Couturier
Registered User
 
Haute Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 5,972
vCash: 500
Can we substitute Briere for Carter?

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:38 PM
  #11
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,567
vCash: 50
Jeff Carter:


4 1st round picks or something of the sort.


Don't like it? Walk away.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
  #12
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
i like carter, but i don't like his contract.
Yep, thank Kevin Lowe for that

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:42 PM
  #13
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,831
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Carter's not going anywhere, even though I do like that package. I'm a big fan of Stafford and if Tallinder can get back on his game he's lights out defensively.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:44 PM
  #14
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Jeff Carter:


4 1st round picks or something of the sort.


Don't like it? Walk away.

How does that help the Flyers now? Exactly... they are built to win NOW. They went to the ECF's last year. Tweak them a little bit, and they are there again. Ranger's are overrated and hot right now, Pittsburgh isn't even close to what they were, Devils can be beaten, etc.

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:45 PM
  #15
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
Amended Proposal:

To BUF: Carter, Kukkonen

To PHI: Tallinder, Stafford, 3rd

Contract issue bypassed, Philly still saves a nice amount of Cap space, add in 3rd round pick
That might work, but I am not really knowledgeable enough about the Sabres players to make this call. I'm certainly for kicking out Stevens and playing a few games under a new coach before going into trading territory.

Anyways: Friendship


chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:47 PM
  #16
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,831
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy4Prez View Post
How does that help the Flyers now? Exactly... they are built to win NOW. They went to the ECF's last year. Tweak them a little bit, and they are there again. Ranger's are overrated and hot right now, Pittsburgh isn't even close to what they were, Devils can be beaten, etc.
If you looked at our prospect pipeline and our current core of players you'd realize we're built to win for the next 15 years.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:48 PM
  #17
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
If you looked at our prospect pipeline and our current core of players you'd realize we're built to win for the next 15 years.
That's certainly pushing it.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:50 PM
  #18
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
That's certainly pushing it.
Ok, yeah. Cannon is only for the next 11 years under contract ;D


chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:53 PM
  #19
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosof99 View Post
Ok, yeah. Cannon is only for the next 11 years under contract ;D

That sounds about right

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:46 PM
  #20
BillyShoe1721
Terriers
 
BillyShoe1721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,831
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
That's certainly pushing it.
Okay, I'll say 13 years. The only real thing we need is a goaltending prospect. The defense for the future is set with Coburn, Sbisa, Parent, maybe Jones, Ratchuk, Marshall, and Bodrov. The offense has Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell, Gagne and Briere to a certain extent, vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, and other role players. I'm confident we'll get a good goalie prospect in this upcoming draft who we can develop, and that will be our only hole.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:49 PM
  #21
Nikita Filatov*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,301
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Okay, I'll say 13 years. The only real thing we need is a goaltending prospect. The defense for the future is set with Coburn, Sbisa, Parent, maybe Jones, Ratchuk, Marshall, and Bodrov. The offense has Richards, Carter, Lupul, Hartnell, Gagne and Briere to a certain extent, vanRiemsdyk, Giroux, Nodl, and other role players. I'm confident we'll get a good goalie prospect in this upcoming draft who we can develop, and that will be our only hole.
There's no guarantee of anything nowadays. Your top prospects could bust...And of course there is a salary cap. It's near impossible to look that far into the future.

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:13 PM
  #22
Crosberry87
Registered User
 
Crosberry87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,977
vCash: 500
Jordan Staal would make a nice #2 center behind Roy, and he will come cheaper than Carter. What would you be willing to give for a potential future Selke nominee??

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:49 PM
  #23
chaosof99*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 16,614
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Jordan Staal would make a nice #2 center behind Roy, and he will come cheaper than Carter. What would you be willing to give for a potential future Selke nominee??
Cue the onslaught of rabid Pittsburgh fans.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
  #24
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
If any team needs good assistant coach name Beruby please let us know.

Sign Beruby, get Stevens to go.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:29 PM
  #25
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa
 
Irving Zisman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 'Merica
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
Jordan Staal would make a nice #2 center behind Roy, and he will come cheaper than Carter. What would you be willing to give for a potential future Selke nominee??

Never thought I'd see the day where he was offered

I'd Give Stafford plus... Gives Pittsburgh a nice and upcoming winger to mesh with Sid and/or Geno.

Irving Zisman is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.