HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

08-09: Junior, College, & Euro Prospects Update Thread

Old
01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

vCash: 500
Is anyone else feeling Stone>Ross?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 04:39 PM
k1llua

Send a message via AIM to k1llua
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Is anyone else feeling Stone>Ross?
I think we need to give Ross some more time to adjust with Vancouver. With Stone in Calgary and Ross in Vancouver they're on a fairly equal footing as far as the total quality of their team goes, instead of Ross being with a bottom feeder in Kamloops.

I don't want to make too quick of a judgement, but Ross being in Vancouver should be able to make it more clear.

k1llua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 05:20 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
He had a goal and an assist, too. He's up to 13 points in 26 games.
A true Spartan killer!

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:18 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia View Post
A true Spartan killer!

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2009, 11:35 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post

Hmmm....no likie the Maize and Blue?

Old
01-26-2009, 09:17 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dahlia View Post
Hmmm....no likie the Maize and Blue?
Spartan alumnus, it's mandatory

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:08 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Just got around to watching the Michigan vs. State game. Summers was fantastic. Sean Burke was in attendance. The kid got a ton of love from the announcers and apparently Sean Burke had a lot of good things to say. I'm recording the game he's playing against Notre Dame, tonight. I'll probably watch it and the Sabres game tommorrow morning before the Super Bowl. Anyway, I'm getting really excited about this kid. He just does absolutely everything very well. He has to be one of the best D1 defensemen in the Nation.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:16 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Just got around to watching the Michigan vs. State game. Summers was fantastic. Sean Burke was in attendance. The kid got a ton of love from the announcers and apparently Sean Burke had a lot of good things to say. I'm recording the game he's playing against Notre Dame, tonight. I'll probably watch it and the Sabres game tommorrow morning before the Super Bowl. Anyway, I'm getting really excited about this kid. He just does absolutely everything very well. He has to be one of the best D1 defensemen in the Nation.
& I have said it before, but honestly coming from RT that is a raving review. RT is exceptionally critical of Dmen and so if this kid is making that kind of impression on RT than I am equally a gitty, I canceled the regional sports channels on DirecTV after getting "burnt" but our little friend in Boston.

I hope he is in the fold next year, and two found it interesting b/c last year at this time we weren't so high on this kid. Amazing what a year can do. GO SUMMERS!!!!

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 07:26 PM
ducky

The only concern I had about Summers was when it was reported he was being moved to LW.

His progress has been on an aupward swing for about 4 years now.

Another good draft pick.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2009, 08:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
The only concern I had about Summers was when it was reported he was being moved to LW.

His progress has been on an aupward swing for about 4 years now.

Another good draft pick.
I wonder how much this organization is going to miss Kurvers.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 12:00 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
A TON!!!! I was pissed we let him go.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 03:54 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
I hope he is in the fold next year, and two found it interesting b/c last year at this time we weren't so high on this kid. Amazing what a year can do. GO SUMMERS!!!!
Although some of that is probably down to the high quality depth of prospects we had a year ago - unprecedented for this team. Summers is not flashy, just solid. I think its common knowledge the Coyotes wanted him to turn pro already, but he seems to be developing his game well.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
Where did Kurvers go? I forget.. was it Tampa?

Why do you value him? I dont recall him being associated with a particularly good pick although I'm sure he's played his part in the improving scouting team. I'm quite happy with Steve Lyons being Assistant Director of amateur scouting.. he's our best scout as far as I know.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2009, 09:18 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Where did Kurvers go? I forget.. was it Tampa?

Why do you value him? I dont recall him being associated with a particularly good pick although I'm sure he's played his part in the improving scouting team. I'm quite happy with Steve Lyons being Assistant Director of amateur scouting.. he's our best scout as far as I know.
Kurvers just seemed to have a knack with selecting guys in mid-late rounds who look like they will develop into NHL players. I keep thinking that he was the one responsible for some of our more prominent NCAA selections but we seemed to rebuild our stockpile of young talent in the drafts that he oversaw. It's one thing to nail the 1st rounder(s) but it's the hitting of selections in the other rounds that help a franchise take steps forward (instead of having to trade for talent you develop it internally).

I think Maloney is an exceptional judge of talent as well.

Old
02-01-2009, 11:03 AM
dafranchz

Quote:
Kurvers just seemed to have a knack with selecting guys in mid-late rounds who look like they will develop into NHL players. I keep thinking that he was the one responsible for some of our more prominent NCAA selections but we seemed to rebuild our stockpile of young talent in the drafts that he oversaw. It's one thing to nail the 1st rounder(s) but it's the hitting of selections in the other rounds that help a franchise take steps forward (instead of having to trade for talent you develop it internally).

I think Maloney is an exceptional judge of talent as well.
I like TK, but I think you're giving him far too much credit. If you have to look at the the later rounds, it actually has more to do with the the quality of the overall staff. TK just ran the drafts before Keith was ready to takeover. But someone mentioned Lyons....now there's a good scout. Having him and Keith run things will continue to pay off.

Old
02-02-2009, 03:01 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwyddbwyll View Post
Summers is not flashy, just solid.
Actually, I would say he's both. I cannot exaggerate his skating ability. He is an amazing skater. He likes to go end to end, especially with the man advantage. He pinches constantly(I've yet to see him get burned for doing so). He's a very good playmaker, who's a patient and smart passer. His shot isn't exactly booming, but he consistantly gets it to the net. He doesn't miss wide or high a whole lot like Derek Morris(who has a cannon), and he doesn't put right into the shins of defenders like Jovo(also the proud owner of a big cannon) is constantly doing. He won't score a whole lot of goals by way of his point shots, but any teammates of his around the net will be given fantastic opportunities to do so, as a result of them. He's not Dion Phaneuf, but he's got a definite element of flash to him.

Obviously, at the NHL level, he's not going to be able to pinch as much, he won't gain the zone so easily, and his shot probably won't get through quite as consistantly, but his game is top-notch, all-around, at the D1 level. Quite honestly, I think he'd be a big upgrade on David Hale, right now. I think if he were used in a limited role, like Yandle last season, he'd actually be asset to the team. I think even now he'd be capable of contributing positively to our power play. He holds the line like an NHLer, and has that sneaky effective little shot from the point. He's a pretty big kid, too, and at least seems very, very mature beyond his years. He appears to be a bright kid with a lot of confidence.

I'm no scout, but I do think he's going to be a valuable NHL defenseman for some time. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, but he looks like he's going to be a good one. I would say he compares some what to Derek Morris, only with Yandle's skating ability, and less of a penchant to mix it up.

Last edited by rt: 02-02-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old
02-02-2009, 05:19 PM
hbk

Quote:
Actually, I would say he's both. I cannot exaggerate his skating ability. He is an amazing skater. He likes to go end to end, especially with the man advantage. He pinches constantly(I've yet to see him get burned for doing so). He's a very good playmaker, who's a patient and smart passer. His shot isn't exactly booming, but he consistantly gets it to the net. He doesn't miss wide or high a whole lot like Derek Morris(who has a cannon), and he doesn't put right into the shins of defenders like Jovo(also the proud owner of a big cannon) is constantly doing. He won't score a whole lot of goals by way of his point shots, but any teammates of his around the net will be given fantastic opportunities to do so, as a result of them. He's not Dion Phaneuf, but he's got a definite element of flash to him.

Obviously, at the NHL level, he's not going to be able to pinch as much, he won't gain the zone so easily, and his shot probably won't get through quite as consistantly, but his game is top-notch, all-around, at the D1 level. Quite honestly, I think he'd be a big upgrade on David Hale, right now. I think if he were used in a limited role, like Yandle last season, he'd actually be asset to the team. I think even now he'd be capable of contributing positively to our power play. He holds the line like an NHLer, and has that sneaky effective little shot from the point. He's a pretty big kid, too, and at least seems very, very mature beyond his years. He appears to be bright kid with a lot of confidence.

I'm not scout, but I do think he's going to be a valuable NHL defenseman for some time. I don't think he'll ever be an All-Star, but he looks like he's going to be a good one. I would say he compares some what to Derek Morris, only with Yandle's skating ability, and less of a penchant to mix it up.
A better skating Keith Carney?

Old
02-02-2009, 05:24 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
A better skating Keith Carney?
No, not really. The whole point of the post is that he's got some flash. Carney was anti-flash. He never shot the puck, didn't have particularly good playmaking ability, he didn't ever hit anybody, and I doubt he ever took the puck end to end even one time in his entire NHL career. I would say Summers is a bit more similar to Keith Ballard, but with the volume turned down just a little bit.

Old
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
hbk

Quote:
No, not really. The whole point of the post is that he's got some flash. Carney was anti-flash. He never shot the puck, didn't have particularly good playmaking ability, he didn't ever hit anybody, and I doubt he ever took the puck end to end even one time in his entire NHL career. I would say Summers is a bit more similar to Keith Ballard, but with the volume turned down just a little bit.
I always admired Carney for his time in Phoenix. He was a solid #3/#4 D Man who rarely made a mistake. I agree that Summers has a better skill set but I still see him as a #2-#4 D Man in this league.

Old
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
I always admired Carney for his time in Phoenix. He was a solid #3/#4 D Man who rarely made a mistake. I agree that Summers has a better skill set but I still see him as a #2-#4 D Man in this league.
Yeah, I'm guessing #3-#5 for Summers. So, I suppose, in that regard, he and Carney are similar. Stylistically, though, they are very dissimilar. Also, don't get me wrong, I really like Carney, too.

Old
02-03-2009, 09:38 AM
Chootoi

he sounds like a bret hedican clone to me. a guy that can skate like the wind, play some solid defense but don't rely on him to QB your powerplay. a reliable defenceman.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Art.Vandelay
@kash2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
he sounds like a bret hedican clone to me. a guy that can skate like the wind, play some solid defense but don't rely on him to QB your powerplay. a reliable defenceman.
I'd be ok with that. As long as he's not the next David Tanabe. Great skater and... um.....er....that was about it.

Art.Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 01:16 PM
Chootoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art.Vandelay View Post
I'd be ok with that. As long as he's not the next David Tanabe. Great skater and... um.....er....that was about it.
oh man... i remember back in 03-04 all of those prediction threads where everyone (myself included) were predicting tanabe was going to break out and score 50 points. i don't even think he ended up playing 50 games before a season ending injury and then... well... yeah...

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2009, 04:44 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chootoi View Post
oh man... i remember back in 03-04 all of those prediction threads where everyone (myself included) were predicting tanabe was going to break out and score 50 points. i don't even think he ended up playing 50 games before a season ending injury and then... well... yeah...
He was looking great that year. Too bad for a guy of his skating ability to tear his knee up.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Maxim Goncharov has been called by Vyacheslav Bykov on Russia's lineup as replacement for injured Konstantin Korneev. Bravo Maxim