HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

08-09: Junior, College, & Euro Prospects Update Thread

Old
02-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
Russia's lineup for what?

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2009, 08:25 PM
ducky

I really, really hope Goncharov wants to come to NA.

He could be an impact dman.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2009, 02:13 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
Russia's lineup for what?
LG Hockey Games, last stage of the Euro Hockey Tour

02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Z4dfence

Send a message via AIM to Z4dfence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Maxim Goncharov has been called by Vyacheslav Bykov on Russia's lineup as replacement for injured Konstantin Korneev. Bravo Maxim
Treliving spoke very highly of him on Saturday afternoon, appears the organization is really looking forward to gettin him here (too bad he's got another year on his Russian contract) he will make another great addition w/ Ahnelov appearing to be ready too.

Z4dfence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 01:44 PM
hbk

Judging by the write up on AzCentral we can expect Goncharov to be named our Top Prospect in the 2009 THN Future Watch. He's the legitimate point threat we have been looking for from our point for the PP and an absolute steal for a 5th round pick.

Top 10 according to Jim Gintonio
1) D Goncharov
2) LW MacLean
3) D Summers
4) D Ahnelov
5) RW Kolarik
6) D Stone
7) D Ross
8) D Brodeur
9) G Tjordman
10) RW Staal

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/JimGintonio/45496

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...uting0204.html

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Robotbike

If we don't make the playoffs I wonder if there is any chance Summers will join the team when his season ends a la Turris last year? After reading RT's man-crush on him I'd be curious to see him live.

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 02:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotbike View Post
If we don't make the playoffs I wonder if there is any chance Summers will join the team when his season ends a la Turris last year? After reading RT's man-crush on him I'd be curious to see him live.
I won't call it a man crush but I can't wait to see Goncharov and Summers in our lineup. I can't decide who I like better.

Old
02-10-2009, 02:42 PM
Kaizen

TSN's Shane Malloy with his take on the Coyotes' youth.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...es_nhl-coyotes

Edit: Not a bad piece but Goncharov's gotta be in there somewhere near the top.

Last edited by Kaizen: 02-10-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old
02-10-2009, 03:30 PM
hbk

Quote:
TSN's Shane Malloy with his take on the Coyotes' youth.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...es_nhl-coyotes

Edit: Not a bad piece but Goncharov's gotta be in there somewhere near the top.

I don't have a link but I vaguely remember some discussion earlier that Goncharov was headed here for next season (Jeff can likely confirm).

KHL isn't a long-term serious threat. Simply put, players are not getting paid what they signed for. The reason? The Russian economy and the league is bankrolled by Russian Oil money (and the mafia depending on what you read) and with Oil trading at $40/barrel versus $140/barrel earlier this year you can expect that there will be more defections and more talk of a transfer agreement with the NHL. With Russian population expected to decline by nearly one-third over the next 20 years you can expect that things are going to get worse for the KHL.

Old
02-10-2009, 03:36 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
With Russian population expected to decline by nearly one-third over the next 20 years you can expect that things are going to get worse for the KHL.
Where did you get that parcel of knowledge from?

Old
02-10-2009, 03:39 PM
hbk

Quote:
Where did you get that parcel of knowledge from?
We had an economist as a guest speaker at a conference I attended in Florida. He was advising everyone not to invest in Russia on the basis of the early life expectancy due largely in part to wide spread alcoholism. Essentially the population is projected to decrease from 150 million to 100 million people.

I just did a very quick google search for demographic trends and Russian and came up with this supporting document.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA396706

Old
02-10-2009, 03:44 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
We had an economist as a guest speaker at a conference I attended in Florida. He was advising everyone not to invest in Russia on the basis of the early life expectancy due largely in part to wide spread alcoholism. Essentially the population is projected to decrease from 150 million to 100 million people.

I just did a very quick google search for demographic trends and Russian and came up with this supporting document.

http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=get...fier=ADA396706
too bad that same wont work with certain portions of our population

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:02 PM
dafranchz

Quote:
I don't have a link but I vaguely remember some discussion earlier that Goncharov was headed here for next season (Jeff can likely confirm).

KHL isn't a long-term serious threat. Simply put, players are not getting paid what they signed for. The reason? The Russian economy and the league is bankrolled by Russian Oil money (and the mafia depending on what you read) and with Oil trading at $40/barrel versus $140/barrel earlier this year you can expect that there will be more defections and more talk of a transfer agreement with the NHL. With Russian population expected to decline by nearly one-third over the next 20 years you can expect that things are going to get worse for the KHL.
Well I know they are very high on him. As far as getting him over here, that might prove to be challenging. If I were one to argue, I would say - seeing Goncharov has a contract through the 09-10 season - that you could easily say its voided if the club has not compensated him as agreed upon. That's just me. If you're not meeting the terms of a legal binding contract, then what good is it? But the other thing is that it's in Russia and they tend to subscribe their own sort rules.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2009, 04:30 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotbike View Post
Forget the playoffs, I think Summers is better than Hale, right now. Certainly more usefull, anyhow. However, the same is probably true of Schlemko and Ahnelov, as well. After all, it's not really saying much.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2009, 02:24 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
I won't call it a man crush but I can't wait to see Goncharov and Summers in our lineup. I can't decide who I like better.
I to am very excited for Goncharov. Watched him at the WJC's and the guy reminded me a ton of Shea Weber. Physical, good passing, big booming one timer, and solid positioning. Not to mention he can throw them pretty decently as well. I like his competitiveness, always seemed like he wanted to carry his team by picking up his play when it mattered.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2009, 09:58 PM
jake1

He's completely off your radar right now, but Brett Hextall has a chance to play in the NHL one day. He's not flashy, but his hands, hockey sense and vision are better than you think. He came to UND advertised as a scrapper and a grinder, but he also consistently makes plays. You won't see him there (in the NHL) for years, but I think he might gradually work his way onto your prospect list.

jake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Chootoi

i've seen mathieu brodeur play maybe 4-5 times this year and i have to say he's going to need some work. alot of work.

he towers over almost everyone else on the ice but for such a big guy, man he gets manhandled out there. maybe it's cause he has a big target on him due to his size, but he gets rocked 3-4 times a night. he also gets burned to the outside nearly every time a forechcker is coming in with speed. he's not real slow either, he's just not very good moving laterally if the forward is being shifty. right now his only options are to back in quick enough that the guy has to cut to the middle, and screen the goalie in the process, or take a penalty by holding or hooking the guy when he cuts to the outside. he's not very physical, but rather tries to use his reach to break up plays.

he does have a good shot and a good first pass though, i'll give him that.

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2009, 06:38 PM
dafranchz

If you have a sports package through your cable provider....and get Fox Sports Northwest....Spokane and Vancouver are playing tonight. Chance to see some good draft eligible prospects as well as Nick Ross.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Kaizen

Former mod Russ Brooks with his take on some Phoenix prospects.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=405984

Edit: Apparently that's about a month old, I must have missed it.

Last edited by Kaizen: 02-25-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old
03-05-2009, 08:45 PM
hbk

Caught the first 5 mins of the Vancouver Giants game last night and Ross had a assist and a huge open ice hit in that span.

Old
03-09-2009, 11:22 AM
Brock

Sean Keogh, one of the contributors on my blog, was able to catch Sudbury in action this weekend. Here are his thoughts on Jared Staal.

"From a game review standpoint, Staal actually fared well this afternoon. He set up the first Sudbury goal and potted the second, although John Kurtz did most of the work. Moreover, he finished even in a near blow out game, so it was a decent game for Jared. I have to be honest though I was not overly impressed with him from an NHL scouting standpoint. In many ways Jared reminds me of his brother Marc more than Jordan or Eric, in his skating stride and lack of offensive creativity. Although Jared goes to the net and has the size to put up some points by doing so, he is neither dynamic nor particularly inventive offensively. In short, I am not sure I see anything that suggests Staal has scoring line upside at the NHL level, although he shows characteristics that make it likely he will get a solid chance to stick as a role player in due time."

Old
03-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Krysanov's team, Lada Togliatti, has just been eliminated by Goncharov's CSKA 3-2 in the playoffs' first round. Krysanov got a puck in the face during the last game and quit the match without being re-iced. Krysanov played a not bad series despite having only 1 assist in 5 matches, but the series was low-scoring, actually Lada's top scorers had just 2 points. Goncharov has been left scoreless, but has been iced in different key powerplay situation (relying on his big shot...)

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
avco

Colin Long, WHL Player of the Week

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=413116

avco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2009, 08:14 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Krysanov's team, Lada Togliatti, has just been eliminated by Goncharov's CSKA 3-2 in the playoffs' first round. Krysanov got a puck in the face during the last game and quit the match without being re-iced. Krysanov played a not bad series despite having only 1 assist in 5 matches, but the series was low-scoring, actually Lada's top scorers had just 2 points. Goncharov has been left scoreless, but has been iced in different key powerplay situation (relying on his big shot...)
Thanks for the information

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
Thanks for the information
You're welcome. Once the season is over, I'll write more about Phoenix guys on rp.com

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote