HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Star Game line (GASoLine)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2008, 12:45 PM
  #26
JTWymanFan*
 
JTWymanFan*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bromont,Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I believe once everyone is healthy that Higgins will take the spot. Not at first but it will happen. As good as Latendresse has played he still can't keep up with Koivu and Tanguay all the time. Higgins on the other hand is built for speed and has a nose for the net. Tanguay and Koivu are playing great right now but I believe they can play even better and I think Latendresse is holding them back slightly. There are at least 4 plays that I can remember where Tanguay created a 2 on 1 or scoring chance with Latendresse but he was too slow to either finish the play or keep the play going.

With all that said, the improvement we've seen from Latendresse has been amazing. Playing on a line with Lang and SKost I think would give us a better balance.

I don't get this point, if he is holding them back as you say..how the heck won't he hold back the other 2 ? The kid is having a great beginning to the season, please give him all the credit he deserves.

JTWymanFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:46 PM
  #27
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I believe once everyone is healthy that Higgins will take the spot. Not at first but it will happen. As good as Latendresse has played he still can't keep up with Koivu and Tanguay all the time. Higgins on the other hand is built for speed and has a nose for the net. Tanguay and Koivu are playing great right now but I believe they can play even better and I think Latendresse is holding them back slightly. There are at least 4 plays that I can remember where Tanguay created a 2 on 1 or scoring chance with Latendresse but he was too slow to either finish the play or keep the play going.

With all that said, the improvement we've seen from Latendresse has been amazing. Playing on a line with Lang and SKost I think would give us a better balance.
Umm...
Latendresse has 1 goal, 5 assists, he's tied with Tanguay and 3pts back of team leader Saku Koivu.
I think the line gels perfectly and shouldn't be changed unless there is a decline in the entire teams work ethic on the ice. That's what has made them successful thus far, the never give up attitude.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:47 PM
  #28
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
Actually i don't spend my days on here, but i do read almost all the posts. Sorry didn't mean to sound condescending
No worries you didn't.
I meant re-read for my alterations as well lol.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:50 PM
  #29
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabbageLegs View Post
I don't get this point, if he is holding them back as you say..how the heck won't he hold back the other 2 ? The kid is having a great beginning to the season, please give him all the credit he deserves.
Tanguay and Koivu play at top speed which Latendresse is not capable of doing. Lang and Skost play a slower tempo style which I see Latendresse fitting in with.

Clearly you don't understand what I'm trying to say but if you've seen every game then you would know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Umm...
Latendresse has 1 goal, 5 assists, he's tied with Tanguay and 3pts back of team leader Saku Koivu.
I think the line gels perfectly and shouldn't be changed unless there is a decline in the entire teams work ethic on the ice. That's what has made them successful thus far, the never give up attitude.
This is not something you can define by stats. If you've seen the games and noticed these plays then you would understand. I've talked to other Hab fans and they did see the exact same things I saw.

And like I said in my other post, I think Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay have had a great start to the year but what I'm saying is that I believe it could be even better with Higgins. So yes, I am saying Chris Higgins is a better hockey player then Latendresse. Don't freak out.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
  #30
compile
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,928
vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
This is not something you can define by stats. If you've seen the games and noticed these plays then you would understand. I've talked to other Hab fans and they did see the exact same things I saw.

And like I said in my other post, I think Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay have had a great start to the year but what I'm saying is that I believe it could be even better with Higgins. So yes, I am saying Chris Higgins is a better hockey player then Latendresse. Don't freak out.
You do realize that in junior hockey Latendresse wasn't a power-forward, yet a playmaker.
He exhibited that skill in his 1st pre-season with Montreal, as he lead the team in points.

Now the Canadiens, coaching staff, GM etc are molding him into a Power Forward because of his size, not on his skill. It takes a long time to change someone's play style from 1 to another especially a passer to a hitter/scorer.

Most power-forwards don't break out until they are around 27-28 years old and thus far Latendresse has played very well for the Canadiens.

I see him getting around 50pts this season if he stays on the TKL line, if he drops down, around 35-40 pts and its not due to Kostitsyn, it will be due to the lack of speed Lang has.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
  #31
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
You do realize that in junior hockey Latendresse wasn't a power-forward, yet a playmaker.
He exhibited that skill in his 1st pre-season with Montreal, as he lead the team in points.

Now the Canadiens, coaching staff, GM etc are molding him into a Power Forward because of his size, not on his skill. It takes a long time to change someone's play style from 1 to another especially a passer to a hitter/scorer.

Most power-forwards don't break out until they are around 27-28 years old and thus far Latendresse has played very well for the Canadiens.

I see him getting around 50pts this season if he stays on the TKL line, if he drops down, around 35-40 pts and its not due to Kostitsyn, it will be due to the lack of speed Lang has.
I never said Latendresse hasn't pretty well, in fact I've said he has played good a few times. I just think Higgins is a better player and would be a better fit.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:03 PM
  #32
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I never said Latendresse hasn't pretty well, in fact I've said he has played good a few times. I just think Higgins is a better player and would be a better fit.
I think you don't break up a line that is working.... You put Higgins with Lang and Sergei and see if he fits in well with them.... They are producing offence right now too.

Carbo has also confirmed that this is what they will be doing.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
  #33
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,304
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
I think you don't break up a line that is working.... You put Higgins with Lang and Sergei and see if he fits in well with them.... They are producing offence right now too.

Carbo has also confirmed that this is what they will be doing.
I know that's what they are going to do, but I will almost guarantee we'll see Higgins in Latendresse's soon after Higgins comes back.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:08 PM
  #34
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
I know that's what they are going to do, but I will almost guarantee we'll see Higgins in Latendresse's soon after Higgins comes back.
Well i think there is a chance he'll go back there at some point this season too... but i don't see it happening quite as quick as you do.... I think the way this line is going they would need to struggle for 2-3 games before you break them up.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:19 PM
  #35
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Tanguay and Koivu play at top speed which Latendresse is not capable of doing. Lang and Skost play a slower tempo style which I see Latendresse fitting in with.

Clearly you don't understand what I'm trying to say but if you've seen every game then you would know what I'm talking about.



This is not something you can define by stats. If you've seen the games and noticed these plays then you would understand. I've talked to other Hab fans and they did see the exact same things I saw.

And like I said in my other post, I think Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay have had a great start to the year but what I'm saying is that I believe it could be even better with Higgins. So yes, I am saying Chris Higgins is a better hockey player then Latendresse. Don't freak out.

Yeah I've noticed that too. Lats is still behind the play from time to time. And his positioning still needs some tweaking. Anyway, going on the Lang line wouldn't be a demotion for Lats. He's had a very good start and going on Lang's line shouldn't reduce his desire nor his production.

As far as I'm concerned, people are obsessed with this line because it joins two Quebecers together, something that hasn't been seen on the top lines in along time. That's probably why he freaked out; Fanboy dreams.

The biggest chemistry on that line seems to be between Koivu and Tanguay. And Higgy seems to have even better chemistry with Koivu than Lats does. Even Tanguay was under the impression, from the getgo, that the line he would be on would include Saks and Higgy.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:23 PM
  #36
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
This line is working really well right now. Each player complements the others really well.

Those who thought Tanguay was a floater and wasn't good without the puck will have to adjust their thoughts... Tangs is playing well right now, but the most impressive is how good he actually is on the forecheck and to backcheck. I'm one of those who think it's maybe a better idea to keep him before Kovalev, but hey... let's worry when we're going to be there.

Koivu looks great as well. I love how he plays with energy... In fact, I haven't seen him play like this in a long, long time. The fact that he's playing with an established first line forward helps him a lot. He's not the guy who has to do everything anymore.

Higgins seems upset to have lost his place on the first line. Well, to be honest, in preseason games, this line never really did a great job... It took 2 games to put it together with Latendresse.

This line is great... Let it the way it is right now. I'd maybe play them a little more though. I'm all with playing Saku less, but give him between 14 and 15 minutes a game. This line is stellar and is our best combo since the beginning of the season.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
  #37
Lestriker
Registered User
 
Lestriker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 811
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
The passing of GAS stinks?

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
  #38
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
This line is working really well right now. Each player complements the others really well.

Those who thought Tanguay was a floater and wasn't good without the puck will have to adjust their thoughts... Tangs is playing well right now, but the most impressive is how good he actually is on the forecheck and to backcheck. I'm one of those who think it's maybe a better idea to keep him before Kovalev, but hey... let's worry when we're going to be there.

Koivu looks great as well. I love how he plays with energy... In fact, I haven't seen him play like this in a long, long time. The fact that he's playing with an established first line forward helps him a lot. He's not the guy who has to do everything anymore.

Higgins seems upset to have lost his place on the first line. Well, to be honest, in preseason games, this line never really did a great job... It took 2 games to put it together with Latendresse.

This line is great... Let it the way it is right now. I'd maybe play them a little more though. I'm all with playing Saku less, but give him between 14 and 15 minutes a game. This line is stellar and is our best combo since the beginning of the season.
LOL... so typical. One : Higgins didn't lose his place on that line (which was not the first line to start with), he was injured. Secondly : They only had two games in the preseason together, and those two games helped Koivu and Tanguay to create some chemistry, so by the time Lats played his second game with them, against a very poor Toronto team (I might had), Koivu and Tanguay were more acustomed to play with each other. Yet you think its Lats who made ALL the difference. Thirdly : Wait till they meet stronger opposition.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:33 PM
  #39
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Tanguay and Koivu play at top speed which Latendresse is not capable of doing. Lang and Skost play a slower tempo style which I see Latendresse fitting in with.

Clearly you don't understand what I'm trying to say but if you've seen every game then you would know what I'm talking about.



This is not something you can define by stats. If you've seen the games and noticed these plays then you would understand. I've talked to other Hab fans and they did see the exact same things I saw.

And like I said in my other post, I think Latendresse, Koivu and Tanguay have had a great start to the year but what I'm saying is that I believe it could be even better with Higgins. So yes, I am saying Chris Higgins is a better hockey player then Latendresse. Don't freak out.
Both of those guys are puck carriers and he is a guy who's strengths are 15-20 feet from the net and along the boards. You can put a faster guy like S.Kost on that line, but then you have 3 players that are too similar and the production drops like S.Kost-Koivu-Higgins last year. Lats definitely isn't up there with Koivu and Tanguay in terms of speed and quickness, but he creates room for them by going to the tough areas and creating turnovers with his physical game.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:43 PM
  #40
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
LOL... so typical. One : Higgins didn't lose his place on that line (which was not the first line to start with), he was injured. Secondly : They only had two games in the preseason together, and those two games helped Koivu and Tanguay to create some chemistry, so by the time Lats played his second game with them, against a very poor Toronto team (I might had), Koivu and Tanguay were more acustomed to play with each other. Yet you think its Lats who made ALL the difference. Thirdly : Wait till they meet stronger opposition.
1. Since the beginning of the year, this line is our first line. Kovalev is floating around like the Kovalev of the old days. I'm not worrying about him just yet, but if he keeps it up that way in the next 5-10 games, I'll worry. That being said, GAS is our bread and butter right now. They give us wins, so you don't dismantle that line.

2. Higgins had two games with them, but so did Latendresse when he scored 3 points. I don't care if it's against Toronto or whoever, the fact remains that they gave us victories, not our "supposed" first line.. I also like Lats there because he is right now one of the most physical forwards in the league. It creates some room to Koivu and Tanguay. Plus, Higgins is a good defensive player and he could bring some defensive awareness to the third line (with Lang and S. Kostitsyn).

3. Stronger opposition? Buffalo is one of the best teams in the league, Toronto is not THAT bad so far, Phoenix was 2-2 when we faced them, Philly is always giving trouble to other teams, and Boston is a good team. We could have faced better teams, but we played against NHL teams... Once again, the face remains that without the GAS line, we would be in trouble right now.

3.


Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-21-2008 at 03:22 PM.
HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:42 PM
  #41
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post

1. Since the beginning of the year, this line is our first line. Kovalev is floating around like the Kovalev of the old days. I'm not worrying about him just yet, but if he keeps it up that way in the next 5-10 games, I'll worry. That being said, GAS is our bread and butter right now. They give us wins, so you don't dismantle that line.

2. Higgins had two games with them, but so did Latendresse when he scored 3 points. I don't care if it's against Toronto or whoever, the fact remains that they gave us victories, not our "supposed" first line.. I also like Lats there because he is right now one of the most physical forwards in the league. It creates some room to Koivu and Tanguay. Plus, Higgins is a good defensive player and he could bring some defensive awareness to the third line (with Lang and S. Kostitsyn).

3. Stronger opposition? Buffalo is one of the best teams in the league, Toronto is not THAT bad so far, Phoenix was 2-2 when we faced them, Philly is always giving trouble to other teams, and Boston is a good team. We could have faced better teams, but we played against NHL teams... Once again, the face remains that without the GAS line, we would be in trouble right now.

3.


Kovalev has floated? He was one of our best players last night. I can see someone criticizing Plekanec as until last night he was pretty invisible, but Kovalev has made things happen in every game, He's been snakebitten somewhat with a lot of posts and missed chances...but by saying he's been lazy shows me you haven't watched the games.

I aqgree that that line should remain intact for now. That's what smart coaches do, don't mess with success. If Higgins is that much better that will play out at some point and make an even better line.


Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-21-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
  #42
HamrlikTheStud*
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post


Kovalev has floated? He was one of our best players last night. I can see someone criticizing Plekanec as until last night he was pretty invisible, but Kovalev has made things happen in every game, He's been snakebitten somewhat with a lot of posts and missed chances...but by saying he's been lazy shows me you haven't watched the games.

I aqgree that that line should remain intact for now. That's what smart coaches do, don't mess with success. If Higgins is that much better that will play out at some point and make an even better line.
He didn't move his feet as much as he did last season. Hence the number of turnovers he created.

He had his share of good moments, but when he lost the puck, he wasn't giving anything to get it back...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:57 PM
  #43
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post


Kovalev has floated? He was one of our best players last night. I can see someone criticizing Plekanec as until last night he was pretty invisible, but Kovalev has made things happen in every game, He's been snakebitten somewhat with a lot of posts and missed chances...but by saying he's been lazy shows me you haven't watched the games.

I aqgree that that line should remain intact for now. That's what smart coaches do, don't mess with success. If Higgins is that much better that will play out at some point and make an even better line.
That's exactly my point, but some people are already ready to annoint them as the first line, after only 6 games. Let's see how this pans out when we hit the first quarter of the season. Also, the KPK gets all the attention from the opposing team's best players. But the fanboys don't stop one second to think how the KPK line is the one giving space to the Koivu line.


Last edited by Galchenyuk x 27: 10-21-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:29 PM
  #44
Galchenyuk x 27
Registered User
 
Galchenyuk x 27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,607
vCash: 50
Keep this thread clean, Ive had to delete multiple messages and edit others.

This is your only warning.
more infractions will be handed out if its not kept clean.


As for the Gas Line...I like it!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.