HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Havlat suspended

Closed Thread

Old
02-27-2004, 04:56 PM
Other Dave

vCash: 500
It's about right, it's similar to Prospal's crosscheck on Neil last January that also got two games.

The more I read people who are REALLY UPSET about 'that cheap gutless puke' Martin Havlat the more I love the guy. Here's hoping he's getting under the skin of his opponents one tenth as much as he's getting under the skin of their fans.

Other Dave

Old
02-27-2004, 04:58 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Dave
It's about right, it's similar to Prospal's crosscheck on Neil last January that also got two games.

The more I read people who are REALLY UPSET about 'that cheap gutless puke' Martin Havlat the more I love the guy. Here's hoping he's getting under the skin of his opponents one tenth as much as he's getting under the skin of their fans.

Other Dave
Here's hoping to seeing you whine and cry when Havlat gets a stick swung at his face. Oh the tragedy then. Then all the others who say teh love that play from the opposing player. Havlat is a *****. I'll enjoy his come upance.

Old
02-27-2004, 04:59 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:

Other Dave
Very true. I have to admit, reading some people's reactions, it just makes you like him even more. It's not like it was some barbaric head hunting act that he performed anyway.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
You who compare this to the McSorley incident, what are you smoking?

Two games is fine for something like this. If Recchi had not been able to continue I'm sure he would have gotten 2-3 more. I know that it shouldn't matter if a guy gets injured or not, but I am sure it influences those that make the call.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Jennifer 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Here's hoping to seeing you whine and cry when Havlat gets a stick swung at his face. Oh the tragedy then. Then all the others who say teh love that play from the opposing player. Havlat is a *****. I'll enjoy his come upance.
Havlat didn't swing his stick in Recchi's face. At least get the facts right.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:04 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenJen#9
Havlat didn't swing his stick in Recchi's face. At least get the facts right.
Fine, used a two hand upward crosschecking motion. Stop acting like this was a harmless play.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Jennifer 19

I didn't say it was harmless, or that it was right. But you are making it sound far worse than it is. I think the suspension was more based on the reputation, rather than the act itself. I think 5 and a game was probably reasonable, and for a lot of players the only action taken (if that even...)

Look, I don't like what he did either, but what I do think is that given the circumstances, and the severity of what he did compared to other "dirty" acts, that people are overreacting to the whole episode.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenJen#9
what are the odds that one skilled player is gonna challenge another anway.
I could name 100 fights between skilled players. Not many with Ottawa players involved though.

Fights for Sens this season:

Neil: 20 FM
Chara: 8 FM
Hnidy: 6 FM
Simpson: 2 FM
Rachunek: 1 FM

Old
02-27-2004, 05:11 PM
sensfan18

Quote:

Other Dave
I agree, he is starting to remind me of Esa Tikkanen with more scoring touch. However, I don't condone what he did last night, it was a stupid stupid play. I'm just glad that his elbow hit rechhi in the shoulder and slowed the motion down. The action was terrible but the actual impact was not that bad.

He has got to lose that temper eventually or else he is going to cost the team, like lastnight for example, what if that was a game #7 of the ECF, you can't give a team a 5min advantage. You can't say that he would not do it if it were the playoffs either, the reason is that he has a temper and tempers don't alter at different times of the year.

It seems soon as he gets frustrated he does something stupid, I can think of numerous times this year where someone was sticking him and he swung his stick blatantly in the air at them and missed, and I thought to myself thankgod that did not connect or we'd be in trouble. It is a problem and it needs to be dealt with, he means too much to this team to be sitting in the box or in the stands.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:13 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
It's always fun when a thread like this is no longer about the actual incident, but reduced to a competition on which teams fans can best hyperbolize the act. 'He took his head off!!' 'He only blew him a kiss!'.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:14 PM
sensfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats_Hallin
I could name 100 fights between skilled players. Not many with Ottawa players involved though.
Oh you don't have to name 100 just name 25, current day fights with skilled players, we're not in the 70's anymore.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:14 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
It's always fun when a thread like this is no longer about the actual incident, but reduced to a competition on which teams fans can best hyperbolize the act. 'He took his head off!!' 'He only blew him a kiss!'.
It's funny 'cause it's true.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:17 PM
monster_bertuzzi

How is it that Weight gets 4 games yet Havlat only gets 2 .

Only in the NHL.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan18
Oh you don't have to name 100 just name 25, current day fights with skilled players, we're not in the 70's anymore.

No we aren't. And attendence suck, 2-1 scores and hip checking is illegal. Thank God you got a team though.
I'll get your 25 before tonites games.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:22 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Zhitnik v Langebrunner, Bouiln v Poti, Hilbert v Radivojevic, Harvy v Ruutu, Ference Tkachuck, Doan v Danton, Kloucek v Drury, Fitzpatrick v Roberts, Lundmark v Markov, Mellanby v Konowalchuck, Aubin v Bishai, Sharp v Orpik

I can keep going if you want.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:32 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
Zhitnik v Langebrunner, Bouiln v Poti, Hilbert v Radivojevic, Harvy v Ruutu, Ference Tkachuck, Doan v Danton, Kloucek v Drury, Fitzpatrick v Roberts, Lundmark v Markov, Mellanby v Konowalchuck, Aubin v Bishai, Sharp v Orpik

You're saving me some time Paxtang
Thornton-Lindros was an epic battle and last seasons Iginla-Guerin was just as good.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:36 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats_Hallin
You're saving me some time Paxtang
Thornton-Lindros was an epic battle and last seasons Iginla-Guerin was just as good.
If you want 25 I can take another 2 mintues out of my life to look for them.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
sensfan18

Quote:

He said skill vs. skill, I see alot of names on there that arent exactly skill players. Harvey, Ruutu, Ferrence, Danton (what skill does he have besides agitating), Fitzpatrick, and Konowalchuck. Even Mellanby and Langebrunner are not exactly your typical skill player, they are very good and gritty but aren't exactly skill/finess players. So yes you can keep going.

I'll help you, here are 2 legitimate skill player vs. skill player fights:
Briere vs. Comrie
Comrie vs. Kovalchuk

2 down, 23 to go, or in Matts_Hallin's case 2 down 98 to go.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:45 PM
NYR1084

Send a message via AIM to NYR1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
Now if he lost an eye or was severly cut...I'd give him 5+ games.

Sting,
Im pretty sure Havalat would be getting into more trouble if Recchi had lost an eye, not just 5+ games. The severe cut maybe, but losing an eye?

Kev

Old
02-27-2004, 05:50 PM
Mats_Hallin

Quote:
He said skill vs. skill, I see alot of names on there that arent exactly skill players. Harvey, Ruutu, Ferrence, Danton (what skill does he have besides agitating), Fitzpatrick, and Konowalchuck. Even Mellanby and Langebrunner are not exactly your typical skill player, they are very good and gritty but aren't exactly skill/finess players. So yes you can keep going.

Briere vs. Comrie
Comrie vs. Kovalchuk

Just go to FC and check the fight log, it dates back to 99.

Old
02-27-2004, 05:57 PM
paxtang

Quote:

Briere vs. Comrie
Comrie vs. Kovalchuk

Tuomo Ruutu, not Jarko. I'd argue about the Mellanby and Langebrunner descriptions. But if you want me to find more I can, that was just a quick run down, and I didn't know it was just skill vs. skill.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Steve L*

On the Flyers alone
Desjardins V Thornton
Kapanen
Gagne
Recchi
JR
Thats 5, if you could find 5 with all the other teams theres a hell of a lot of skilled players who have had a fight.

Old
02-27-2004, 06:22 PM
TelperiŽn

What the... ?

Okay, I'm one of Havlat's biggest defenders when people jump on him, but I am not going to stand up for his actions this time. He even admitted himself that he was not proud of them. Personally, I think he's lucky to get just 2 games -- given his developping reputation.

But some of you need to get some facts straight:

-It was more of a reaction-thing than a deliberately-hacking-at-Recchi's-head kind of thing. Granted, that's not an excuse and doesn't make it unintentional (it was pretty obvious it was an intentional move).

-People are making it sound like Havlat chased Recchi down and aimed a stick at his face. That didn't happen. Havlat, being pretty stupid and immature in the heat of the moment, just reacted with a rough shot at Recchi.

-"I don't feel good about what I did," he [Havlat] said after the game. "I was frustrated with the hooking before that. I gave him a shot. I didn't mean to hit him in the face. I don't think I hit him with the stick. I thought it was more of an elbow."

-Senators coach Jacques Martin said he didn't see the play clearly from the Ottawa bench. He had no comment on Hitchcock's threat, other than to say "I don't think Recchi missed a shift."

-"I wanted to hit him, but not in the face." -Martin Havlat

[Quotes from Slam.ca]

Dirty? Yes. Intentional? Yes. Done out of anger/frustration? Yes. Does he need to stop? Hell, yeah. Does he deserve punishment? Yes. Do the Flyers have the right to beat him up next game? Yes, if they want to take the chance.

Was it a deliberate attempt to injure and maim Recchi? No. Was it a McSorley move? No. Is he apologetic? Yes. Will he learn his lesson? We'll see...

~PWHWGU~
People Wishing Havlat Would Grow Up

Old
02-27-2004, 07:16 PM
littleHossa

When he doesn't lose games because of his bad groin, he loses games because of suspensions

Old
02-27-2004, 07:34 PM
Sotnos

Quote:
Prospal didn't connect, but I only just saw the replay of this Havlat "incident" now and couldn't tell if he connected or not.

Closed Thread