HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buf-pit

Old
10-19-2008, 05:12 PM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

vCash: 500
Buf-pit

Well if I can't get my hands on Carter, I'll gladly take Jordan. I mean he's not even that good, a huge bust

To Buf: Jordan Staal

To Pit: Stafford++

Stafford would develop very, very nicely next to Sid or Geno. Gives them a legit young winger to develop. Basically, a swap of good young talent at two team's postion of strength. (Sabres wingers, Pens Centers)

What could Buffalo add? I'm guessing prospects and picks after what the Penguins gave up for Hossa. Zagrapan maybe?

Flame away on the new guy

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:43 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Big pass. Stafford doesn't have Staal's pedigree, upside, or current on-ice value.

Dig the Staal and Whitney for Pominville counter-proposal though.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
Crosberry87

Stafford is a decent starting point...

Crosberry87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:55 PM
AK

What about Staal and a 3rd for Stafford and Max Afi?

Throw in Max, and the Pens get a little more help in the short term before he becomes a UFA, and the Sabres get a pick out of Max, who they'd likely lose next offseason anyway.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:06 PM
davej0122

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Big pass. Stafford doesn't have Staal's pedigree, upside, or current on-ice value.

Dig the Staal and Whitney for Pominville counter-proposal though.

sabres have no interest in trading poms. he just signed along extension. he is an assistant who many feel that will probably be the next captain after rivet short stint.

however...

stafford + max + second rounder

for

stall

davej0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Stall is yours. Along with slow, impede, and tarry.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Crosberry87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

Throw in Max, and the Pens get a little more help in the short term before he becomes a UFA, and the Sabres get a pick out of Max, who they'd likely lose next offseason anyway.

No need for the Pens to throw in a 3rd round pick there. Staal could bring back both of them. No one seems to like Afinogenov, and I liked Stafford but i saw he has zero points this season so far??? I think the Pens can do better than those 2 for Staal

Old
10-20-2008, 12:27 AM
ColonelForbin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrakaLangKovy View Post
No need for the Pens to throw in a 3rd round pick there. Staal could bring back both of them. No one seems to like Afinogenov, and I liked Stafford but i saw he has zero points this season so far??? I think the Pens can do better than those 2 for Staal
Staal has 2 points this year. And he had 28 last year.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Silas Robertson
Hey, all in. Jack.

Counter: Staal and ?? for Stafford and hometown boy Mike Weber

Silas Robertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:19 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej0122 View Post
sabres have no interest in trading poms. he just signed along extension. he is an assistant who many feel that will probably be the next captain after rivet short stint.

however...

stafford + max + second rounder

for

stall
Done! just so we don't have to hear Stall anymore.

66-29-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang58 View Post

Why would we want Afinogenov? Is that what it's come down to? Dealing Staal for another team's scraps - one a UFA who dangles around with the puck aimlessly and the other who's nothing but upside, gets no SH responsibility and has no points this year?

In case you hadn't noticed, Sabres fans are giving absolutely no opposition to this thought, and even offering a little more. They feel bad for gypping you.

Honestly, these proposals are going to look pretty ridiculous in a few years. You're giving Staal away for magic beans that aren't even very magic.

Last edited by Rowdy Roddy Peeper: 10-20-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old
10-20-2008, 09:06 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I'd probably consider a Staal for Stafford and Kotalik deal. Not sure if anything needs to be added on either side though.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
jeanlucgrandpierre
Buffalo Sabres Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
I don't want to use the word "untouchable", but Weber is here to stay for now.

i would listen to the Staff/Max for Stall/pick listed above, though.

jeanlucgrandpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:45 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTisIT View Post
Unless that ??? is Brooks Orpik, there's no way this deal gets made. The biggest problem the Sabres D has had since McKee left was that there was no physical, stay-at-home presence. Rivet helps, but Weber is going to be a huge part going forward because he supplies that physical presence on the back end. So if he goes, Orpik would have to come back to replace that. Plus, Orpik is a hometown boy, too.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Stafford -- Weber for Jordan Staal? Very tempting.

10-20-2008, 10:05 AM
davej0122

i am interested in what pitt would think about a trade centered around tallinder and stall....

tallinder i think is expendable, has not played that well so far in the young season. Ruff has expressed discontent for tallinder as of late. also with weber comming up the pipeline the move of tallinder could give weber his shot that many in buffalo have been waiting for.

davej0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:20 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davej0122 View Post
i am interested in what pitt would think about a trade centered around tallinder and stall....

tallinder i think is expendable, has not played that well so far in the young season. Ruff has expressed discontent for tallinder as of late. also with weber comming up the pipeline the move of tallinder could give weber his shot that many in buffalo have been waiting for.
Tallinder does nothing for the Pens. We need wingers.

Old
10-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
I'd probably consider a Staal for Stafford and Kotalik deal. Not sure if anything needs to be added on either side though.
PERFECT! I would absolutely love this deal for the Pens. I've been trying to get Kotalik over to the black and gold for two years!

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 10:30 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatonRougePen25 View Post
PERFECT! I would absolutely love this deal for the Pens. I've been trying to get Kotalik over to the black and gold for two years!
The only issue is Kotalik is a UFA at season's end. So he'd need to be resigned or some kind of conditional draft pick needs to be involved.

It would also mean the Sabres have a few holes to fill as a result of this trade...maybe the Pens throw in Pesonen?

To Pit:
Stafford
Kotalik

To Buf:
Staal
Pesonen

Seems like a realistic starting point.

Old
10-20-2008, 10:43 AM
Crosberry87

S -- T -- A -- A -- L, Staal

They really ought to enter this into the spelling bee on ESPN.

"Please Spell Staal"

"Could you use the word in a sentence please?"

"Jordan Staal proposals these days are quite weak, mostly involve other teams scraps, and do not fill the Penguins' needs."

"Can I have the origin of the word?"

"Thunder Bay, Ontario"

" S........T......A.....L.........L ????"

"Epic fail"

Old
10-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Bah, you people are crazy. I expect the Pens fans in this thread to repent when Staal starts reaching his potential. Would you have traded the 2nd overall pick back in 2006 for the current Stafford and a UFA Kotalik? Has Staal's performance in his young career meant that little?

Old
10-20-2008, 12:53 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctordark View Post
Bah, you people are crazy. I expect the Pens fans in this thread to repent when Staal starts reaching his potential. Would you have traded the 2nd overall pick back in 2006 for the current Stafford and a UFA Kotalik? Has Staal's performance in his young career meant that little?
You're being a little over dramatic. Is Staal still worth as much as his #2 selection? Nope. So you can't expect the same return. And I'm not trying to rip him down, he's great defensive center with plenty of size and upside, but he's starting to prove that his 25% shooting percentage in his rookie year was an aberration.

In the end, it boils down to need and depth. The Pens need wingers, they have depth at center.

I'm not opposed to hanging on to Staal, but you have to acknowledge that he's one of the most valuable, expendable trading chips the Pens have. And I'm sure if Shero decides to move him, he'll find the best package available.

Old
10-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
The only issue is Kotalik is a UFA at season's end. So he'd need to be resigned or some kind of conditional draft pick needs to be involved.

It would also mean the Sabres have a few holes to fill as a result of this trade...maybe the Pens throw in Pesonen?

To Pit:
Stafford
Kotalik

To Buf:
Staal
Pesonen

Seems like a realistic starting point.
I wouldn't throw Pesonen in .... we don't know what we have in him. I would go with Staal and a low round pick for the two. Kotalik shouldn't be that hard to resign and I would feel a lot better with him playing on of the points on a PP instead of Malkin, although he is getting better.

Old
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Quote:
You're being a little over dramatic. Is Staal still worth as much as his #2 selection? Nope. So you can't expect the same return. And I'm not trying to rip him down, he's great defensive center with plenty of size and upside, but he's starting to prove that his 25% shooting percentage in his rookie year was an aberration.

In the end, it boils down to need and depth. The Pens need wingers, they have depth at center.

I'm not opposed to hanging on to Staal, but you have to acknowledge that he's one of the most valuable, expendable trading chips the Pens have. And I'm sure if Shero decides to move him, he'll find the best package available.
Amen. Deal from our strength. He is just like Christensen was in this case. Ec was never gonna be one or two here. Staal won't either. If you have to deal him, get what you need .... two wingers in this case.

Basically, we have three dealing chips for this season .... Staal, one of the three of Whitney, Letang, or Gogo, and Sydor. We don't have to move any of them if Satan and Feds bring what they are supposed to. But, logic says both of them won't bring it and you still have Gonchar to worry about as well.

Old
10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Gooch

Meh, I dont find this nearly appealing enough to part with our only solid trading asset.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote