HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Our O-Lines Combinations - Past and Future success

Old
10-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Garfinkel1

vCash: 500
Our O-Lines Combinations - Past and Future success

Since it's pretty clear Prucha has over-stayed his welcome here in NY. (Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and think he needs a change of environment. Think Redden and Zherdev). He needs a trade and we need to rethink our lines since our first line (YES I know its only been 6 games, but at one point you have to try something new).

Our second line needs not to be touched. They are playing with a chip on there shoulder and a nose for the net. Absolutely broke any expectations we had of that line and then some. I don't need to touch on this line because well, they are doing great.

In the playoffs last year, the line of Cally-Drury-Dawes was great. They played very very well in their own zone and created a lot of chances. Pretty much out-worked the other team nearly every shift. They were never really outplayed and never gave up. They had a lot of heart and I think need to be put back together.

Our 4th line would be a quick fan favorite if it wasn't for the insane production of the 2nd line. Orr learned how to skate, Betts is just a beast defensively and Sjostrom is so quick and a great forechecker. They click really well and are great in the forecheck. They great a lot of chances (If only they could finish) and really swing the momentum for us.

Our first line is in the crapper. Naslund seems to be asleep. I think he will click once he gets used to the chance of scenery. He went from Vancouver to the Big Apple. A huge difference in life-style really has an effect on a players production although you wouldn't tell looking at Redden.

Back to the point with Prucha. If he could find his scoring touch, our lines would be GREAT. We would have GREAT depth and Chemistry across the board, which would be the first time in a long time. (I'm thinking 1994 if you know what I mean ). However, it doesn't look like this is happening.

1st line - naslund gomez prucha
(Trade Prucha, Sanguetti, 1st for proven top 6 forward at trade deadline?)
2nd line - zherdev dubinsky voros
3rd line - callahan drury dawes
4th line - orr betts sjostrom

With these combinations our only question mark and a big one is our first line. If and when we trade at the deadline and pick up some proven talent I think we could be in REALLY good shape. Our defensive has been playing great and with call ups like Amsinov and Byers I'm not too scared about injuries ruining this teams record...

I don't want to break down our Defense because I feel I really don't know enough to do so. Mara has played like a beast, very physical and been a top 5 personal favorite of mine so far this season. Redden is proving he is worth his contract. Marc is just Marc. Great guy, Great player, Great athlete and Rosi is eh. I'm still not sold on him being worth his contract value. Kalinin I don't know, he is as consistent as last summer in NY. (for those who didn't live in NY... It would rain, be sunny, rain, be sunny. Etc. usually rained 2-3 times a day for minutes at a time. yes, minutes). I don't want to touch up on the other defenseman because nothing else sticks out.

I am thinking we are a very VERY deep team right now with this second line producing way more then expected and definitely potential Eastern Conference Champions. Being only 6 games in to the season its pretty pre-mature but it is what it is so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What are your thoughts? Agree? Disagree? Should Drury be moved to the 3rd line to play along Dawes and Cally?

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
TheZherdev

I thought the Callahan-Gomez-Dawes line has looked great the last 2 games. They all really forecheck hard and surprisingly cycle the puck almost as well as the old jagr straka and nylander line. Gomez is finding them open and they are finally looking like the snipers that we thought they could me. Keep that line together for now, its working. The only line that didnt look good last night was the naslund-drury-korpikoski line. But how do you break that line up when all the other lines are working right now? hmm...

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
I thought the Callahan-Gomez-Dawes line has looked great the last 2 games. They all really forecheck hard and surprisingly cycle the puck almost as well as the old jagr straka and nylander line. Gomez is finding them open and they are finally looking like the snipers that we thought they could me. Keep that line together for now, its working. The only line that didnt look good last night was the naslund-drury-korpikoski line. But how do you break that line up when all the other lines are working right now? hmm...
I don't really know much about his development but I heard a lot of people say he was ready so why not try out Amsinov. Call him up and see if he meshes better with that line?

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:14 PM
EventHorizon
Bring Back Ties!

Zherdev-Dubinsky-Voros
Callahan-Gomez-Dawes

In my mind, those 2 lines are fine as the top 2 lines until they show they shouldn't be together.

That leaves them with a lot of options and depth for the bottom 2.

Did anybody think that both Naslund and Drury could be 3rd liners this year? Because that could happen if those first 2 lines continue to work out. And that's a good thing, there's a lot of depth on this team. Maybe give Prucha a shot with Naslund and Drury on that 3rd line.

Either way, Prucha, Sangs and a first will not be enough to land a top 6 forward.

EventHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 09:16 PM
NYR Viper

honestly here is what i wanted to see this season....
dawes-gomez-naslund
voros-dubi-zherdev
korpikoski-drury-callahan
sjostrom-betts-orr
fritsche, rissmiller, prucha

to me those lines would bring the most offense and as long as renney wants to continue to even out the playing time i think that those 4 lines would be good at keeping and making energy....first line is a line that will score off the rush and work with speed in the offensive zone.....the second line will work hard down low and outwork opponents.......the third line will forecheck hard and get pucks to the points for shots and look for deflections and rebounds........the 4th line will outowrk opponents and throw pucks towards the net....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 10:07 PM
NYROrtsFan

No reason to break up the top two lines right now.

Chemistry is one of those things that sometimes doesn't make a lot of sense. Wouldn't think that Voros Dubi Zherdev would be good, but it just is.

Dawes Gomez Callahan all seem to play a similar style game. Those should stay together. FOr whatever reason, they all have a good feel for where everyone is going to be.

The question is going to be whether Drury and Naslund can make things work, and who their linemate will be.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
I don't really know much about his development but I heard a lot of people say he was ready so why not try out Amsinov. Call him up and see if he meshes better with that line?
He's NOT ready. In the minors, he can play well despite his small size because his skill set and hockey sense is superior to most people there. In the NHL, he'd have the same skills and hockey sense as most other NHLers, but without the meat on his bones.

The kid needs to gain 15 pounds without losing any speed. Then he can jump to the NHL.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
One good game by the Dawes-Gomez-Callahan line isn't going to bump a $12.6 million line of Naslund-Drury-Prucha down to 3rd line minutes.. It'll be interesting if it does turn out to be the best formula but Renney isn't going to just give up on both Naslund & Drury this early.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruMez View Post
One good game by the Dawes-Gomez-Callahan line isn't going to bump a $12.6 million line of Naslund-Drury-Prucha down to 3rd line minutes.. It'll be interesting if it does turn out to be the best formula but Renney isn't going to just give up on both Naslund & Drury this early.
I was in Detroit for the game and they looked good but come on. Drury and Naslund have to get the ice time

I'd rather see Dawes, Gomez , Drury..........I am obviously cool with the set 2 lines as they have had multiple consistant games. So keep Voros, Dubinsky, Zherdev.............Sjostrom ,Betts, Orr

As for the other line I think the big issue is if Korpikoski is a better C than winger cause if not then they can't keep Drury on the wing since their is no natural Centre on the roster..............I still with do Naslund, Korkpikoski, Callahan

Basically screws over Fritsche who I think should get in too but Renney loves Orr and I understand he is big and has done a good job..................Rissmiller should sit all year basically as we all agree it's a waste of a signing with all the forward depth...................and Prucha should be moved if not played which I think we all agree as well

Only way Prucha gets in full time is if Korps is sent down for a 7th Dman to be called up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-20-2008, 07:29 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Hmmm.

I wouldn't go to the bank with D-G-Cally line but they defiintely do deserve another shot.

IF it produces biscuits in the net, then you gotta play em.

I think they should leave Drury on wing, and call up Artem, and give him a shot with them. Unless we can get a right wing that can play with Drury and Naslund.

Prucha is their only hope right now. He has to play well with them two.

Or maybe, send Korpedo down and call up Dale Weise. Give him a shot.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
frozenH20

Here’s my take on the lines, thus far.

Naslund, Gomez, and Drury looked good in Europe, but have been disappointing since. I think Gomez had the flu, so his puck control / passing was sloppy. Naslund has been annoyingly passive. I don’t know if he’s rusty, overly unselfish, but he’s opting to pass and /or move, carry the puck closer to the net too often. I guess he’s not the sharp shooter or power forward I thought he was. I think Drury has two personalities; “capt clutch” - when he only has to worry about himself (like in Metallurg), chips are down and can throw caution in the wind. Or the “invisible man” when he’s worried about himself or line mates.

Voros, Dubinsky, and Zherdev are producing stunning results. Zherdev looks better/ more comfortable off the 1st line. Dubinsky has been the best player and getting better with every shift. I was skeptical about having Voros on the line, but his ability to take up space and cause havoc around the net is giving Dubinsky and Zherdev the time and space to do their thing. The line just needs to be tested overtime.

Sjostrom, Betts, and Orr look good. Sjostrom has earned a spot. Betts is as defensively sound as the past, and trying harder to contribute offensively. Orr is much improved, he’s no longer just an enforcer and less of a defensive risk. Against smaller teams, swapping Orr with Frische could increase goal output. I thought Frische had several good games.

Of the (Prucha, Dawes, or Frische) with Korpikoski and Callahan combinations, I thought Frische had a nice game against NJ, but the line looked best with Prucha. I don’t understand why Prucha, Korpikoski, and Callahan weren’t given the opportunity to try to replicate what they did in Prague, plus produce some fruit.

Dawes, Gomez, and Callahan had one good game. Dawes appears to have finally showed up, Gomez is flying again, and Callahan is playing more aggressively than before his injury last season.

Naslund, Drury and Korpikoski didn’t look good in the one game together. Korpikoski seemed better with a day off. I don’t know if he can produce as wing as he did as a center - in preseason. Right now, Naslund and Drury desperately need a shooter. Drury is most effective / accurate with short distance shots and Naslund is lobbing, weak shots from the perimeter.

Rissmiller – is deadweight.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:48 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
(Trade Prucha, Sanguetti, 1st for proven top 6 forward at trade deadline?)
I just dont see that happening. We need more than a top 6, we need a top 3.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:18 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
I agree, cally, dawes and gomez makes for a good line. For some reason I think Gomez really like playing with the up and comers also.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:50 PM
LamoTheKid

I personally think we need to stop worrying about who's on what number line and just get the right combinations.

That way Renney can just roll 4 lines evenly similar to what ruff does/did in Buffalo. I have no problem with Drury being on the third line if hes getting decent minutes.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote