Notices

Game 6: @ New York, 10/20

Old
10-21-2008, 12:17 AM
batmansuncle

vCash: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
I'd vote for Fistric and/or Barch going down.
Same here, but what happens when Lehts gets back. I dont want to see Neal or Brunny get sent down

Morrow-Ribs-Loui/Lehts
Avery-Richards-Brunnstrom
Neal-Mo-Loui/Lehts
Ott-Petersen-Crombeen

I dont want to see Loui not on one of the top lines i think he needs the minutes more the Lehts and maybe Lehts could stay healthier longer lol

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:32 AM
trueblue9441

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Well I just finished watching the game on my DVR, and Brunnstrom really does impress me. He still occasionally makes small mistakes, but I haven't seen anything huge. Also, during the 2nd period I saw him drop to block a shot from the point!!! I was shocked. We were sold that this guy was a finesse, typical European. He's not out their taking guys heads of, but he initiates contact, takes hits to make plays, and BLOCKS SHOTS!!! All that while scoring 4 goals and 1 assist in 4 games. The offense is great, but his overall play has been very surprising.

None of this takes away from how great Neal has been. I think his play is less surprising, but not any less impressive.

On a final note, I have always loved Mike Heika and his opinion. He's reminding me of the other borderline reporters at DMN that cover the Cowboys lately though. Anyway, I think he, like the Stars has been a funk, and I hope he can write his way out of it.
obivously a tough game for me.. i was at the game.. but i have to say brunnstrom is a hell of a player.. ive only watched the highlights of his few games as a star.. but he played a very solid game tonight.. hes guna be a good one

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:49 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Crombeen can't be sent down without clearing waivers. Toronto or the Islanders or somebody would pick him up.

Fistric will be sent down but doesn't make enough money to clear sufficient salary cap space.

Janik will probably be let go but again he and Fistric combined don't earn Zubov's 3+ million remaining on his contract. So what the heck are the stars going to do?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Disregard everything that was previously here.

Fistric will need to go down, and someone else, anyone else, will need to be moved - down, out or otherwise.

When Zubov comes back, the Stars will be over the cap by $5,083.57 a day. Fistric makes $4,182.80 a day (unless, of course, Lehtinen goes on LTIR for his groin).

My guess is that person will be Barch. Janik makes the league minimum, and therefore, you can't get a lot of savings over him, and it makes no sense to move him. With the defense as shaky as it has been, I also don't see them moving Boucher. The other likely veteran candidates at forward are Ott and Lundqvist, and they seem to be relatively attached to Ott the locker room leader, and they like Lundqvist's grit. That makes me suspect it'll be Barch.

(Just FYI - since at least one defensemen will be moved for roster purposes, Grossman is the only of the three young'uns who makes enough to clear the cap space all by himself. All three veterans make enough, but neither Niskanen nor Fistric do by themselves).

The Stars are really screwed by the having-to-count bonuses this year. They're carrying about $4 million extra cap hit in pure bonuses.

The other way this could be solved (potentially): The Stars need to pick up $945,556 - $5,083.57x in cap room somehow, with x being the number of days Zubov is on LTIR. If Zubov is on LTIR for 35 days and Fistric is demoted when he gets back, Brunnstrom would need to be in the minors for 12 total days, not games, but days, to make the Stars cap compliant.

The longer Zubov stays on LTIR, the shorter Brunnstrom would need to stay down (each extra week Zubov stays on IR = about one day less Brunnstrom would stay down). The key is that Brunnstrom (who I picked because he has by far the highest daily salary of anyone who doesn't need to clear waivers) would have to go down as Zubov was made active again.

My brain officially hurts.

Last edited by Kritter471: 10-21-2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Cap number crunching makes my head hurt
Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:09 AM
catters078

just turning back to the lines for dallas..

i like morrow-richards-brunstrom for now, they look good and seemingly are developing good chemistry...so i wouldnt mind actually keeping that for a while..

I like neal-modano-crombeen as a 3rd line so i think we should keep that...they have the best chemistry of any line so far and i think would be silly to split them up..

but what do you guys thin kwe should do when lehts comes back..

personally i would really like to trial Avery-Ribeiro-lehtinen, i reckon it would complimetn ribs to have a shooting scorer back with him along with avery who seems to be starting to work well with him..

So what about these...

Morrow-Richards-Brunstrom
Avery-Ribeiro-Lehtinen
Neal-Modano-Crombeen

Leaving lundqvist-Ott-erikkson-barch-petersen

loui is the odd one out in the top 3 lines but he hasnt shown too much this year except the colorado game...maybe just a for 3 weeks or a month we could put the line back together that played really well against the zetterberg line in the WCF..lundqvist-petersen(or Ott)-erikkson they would be a fantastic 4th checking line that we could run against an opposition who is getting the better of us...I know it may seem a bit of a waste having loui there and it doesnt help his development, but I think there would be better value having those 3 lines together...

what do you guys think?

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:34 AM
batmansuncle

vCash: 1912
Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
just turning back to the lines for dallas..

i like morrow-richards-brunstrom for now, they look good and seemingly are developing good chemistry...so i wouldnt mind actually keeping that for a while..

I like neal-modano-crombeen as a 3rd line so i think we should keep that...they have the best chemistry of any line so far and i think would be silly to split them up..

but what do you guys thin kwe should do when lehts comes back..

personally i would really like to trial Avery-Ribeiro-lehtinen, i reckon it would complimetn ribs to have a shooting scorer back with him along with avery who seems to be starting to work well with him..

So what about these...

Morrow-Richards-Brunstrom
Avery-Ribeiro-Lehtinen
Neal-Modano-Crombeen

Leaving lundqvist-Ott-erikkson-barch-petersen

loui is the odd one out in the top 3 lines but he hasnt shown too much this year except the colorado game...maybe just a for 3 weeks or a month we could put the line back together that played really well against the zetterberg line in the WCF..lundqvist-petersen(or Ott)-erikkson they would be a fantastic 4th checking line that we could run against an opposition who is getting the better of us...I know it may seem a bit of a waste having loui there and it doesnt help his development, but I think there would be better value having those 3 lines together...

what do you guys think?
Yeah its hard to figure out what to do with our forwards. Maybe Erikkson could replace Combeen. Loui just reminds me of a young Lehtinen and i think we should give him as much ice time as we can, but i'm not in charge so who knows what Tipp will do

batmansuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Kritter471

Yup. Crombeen is a grunt. A solid grunt, no doubt, but Eriksson has shown a knack for puck pursuit, and he could easily fill in on that line.

And I'm redoing all sorts of cap calculations. My brain hurts.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:15 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Yup. Crombeen is a grunt. A solid grunt, no doubt, but Eriksson has shown a knack for puck pursuit, and he could easily fill in on that line.

And I'm redoing all sorts of cap calculations. My brain hurts.
I think map94 got it right in the Practice/Injury thread. If Dallas sends down a forward making around $550,000 (Barch or Petersen) and Fistric they will have enough to keep Neal and Brunnstrom.

I liked your idea about Brunnstrom going down for 12 days or whatever, but I wouldn't count on it. Jackson just doesn't want to send him down. Maybe they could look at the schedule and split up the time though so that he only misses 2 or 3 games during a long stretch but gets some games in the AHL while down. That's asking quite a bit, but I still would be surprised if they sent him down.

In regards to Grossman, please God no. Id say right now hes in the Top 3 of defenseman Dallas has playing, Top 4 when Zubov is healthy. The Avery signing really put the Stars against the cap, but I dont think Jackson would have done it if it would sacrifice youth. If Fistric was untouchable last year in the Richards trade, almost a deal breaker, what makes you think Grossman or Niskanen, who have much more potential, would ever be shopped this early. Anyway, Id be pissed if we lost Grossman. He and Robidas make a formidable 2nd pairing, 1st while Zubov is out. Just think, he Boucher returns to form, he and Daley have always played well together. I just smile everytime I think of Zubie returning. He fixes Niskanen and all the defensive problems.

Niskanen-Zubov
Grossman-Robidas
Daley-Boucher

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:59 AM
aisforaaron83

This is what I would do with the return of Lehtinen and Zubov.....

Morrow - Richards - Brunnstrom
Avery - Ribeiro - Lehtinen
Neal - Modano - Eriksson
Lundqvist/Petersen - Ott - Crombeen

Barch is the scratch

Zubov - Niskanen
Grossman - Robidas
Daley - Boucher

Janik is the scratch, Fistric sent down.

If Niskanen continues his crap play when Zubie returns then I would move Boucher or Daley up with Zubov and move Nisky down to the bottom pair.

Obviously there are cap issues, but I am just hoping they resolve themselves!

aisforaaron83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Sending Petersen and Fistric down seems the most logical. That still leaves you with 2 good options for the 4th line center. Someone else will probably get injured before it comes to that though.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Sending Petersen and Fistric down seems the most logical. That still leaves you with 2 good options for the 4th line center. Someone else will probably get injured before it comes to that though.
But Petersen is a much better forward than Barch. Barch brings nothing that we don't get from a handful of other guys. Petersen is fast and smart defensively. He seems to be some sort of amalgamation of Hagman and Barnes, I don't think Barch has earned a place on the roster above Petersen.

Dominic Roussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Kritter471

Oh, I don't think Grossman will be shopped. I was just listing all the options. If you're looking for a defenseman who takes care of all the cap problems, he'd be the most likely candidate. But given there are viable options that involve Fistric plus a guy I don't think they're attached to, I bet they'd go that way.

Here's another thought - send Fistric down and waive/send down Barch. Then send Brunnstrom down for a stretch of days off (there's a stretch of five days off, I think) in November or December just to pick up cap space for possible injuries. Brunnstrom makes $11,000+ a day, so for every day he's down, the Stars would pick up two days of injury time from a league-minimum player.

Old
10-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

The other sneakier option is to send Neal and Brunnstrom down during the off days like Kritter said. The Stars have three days off in a row next week and four days in a row the first week in November. If they do that plus probably one more stretch somewhere along the line Dallas will save enough money to actually have a little space in case of additional injuries. Neither player actually misses a game or even leaves town but their cap hit is off the books for a few days, clearing up space.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:01 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
The other sneakier option is to send Neal and Brunnstrom down during the off days like Kritter said. The Stars have three days off in a row next week and four days in a row the first week in November. If they do that plus probably one more stretch somewhere along the line Dallas will save enough money to actually have a little space in case of additional injuries. Neither player actually misses a game or even leaves town but their cap hit is off the books for a few days, clearing up space.

If a player is assigned to the AHL, they actually have to make the trip.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Caseman

OT: Turco made the 3rd best save this week

http://www.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?id=23147

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:45 PM
theheadmata

Send a message via AIM to theheadmata
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
If a player is assigned to the AHL, they actually have to make the trip.
Hmm... send them up once a week to go play some bingo in Oklahoma?

theheadmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
Hmm... send them up once a week to go play some bingo in Oklahoma?

I figured that would be an option too, but then I realised that if Jackson and Hull were going to do that they would have started already in the days Dallas had off between the first 4 games of the season.

the case for trying to exploit the cap could also be made, and unlike when Brian Burke "convinced" Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne to come back halfway through the season it would be alot easier to prove when a team is constantly demoting and recalling a player to shed cap space.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Kritter471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I figured that would be an option too, but then I realised that if Jackson and Hull were going to do that they would have started already in the days Dallas had off between the first 4 games of the season.

the case for trying to exploit the cap could also be made, and unlike when Brian Burke "convinced" Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne to come back halfway through the season it would be alot easier to prove when a team is constantly demoting and recalling a player to shed cap space.
Nope, they wouldn't have.

With Zubov on LTIR, sending the pair down to OKC or whereever have produced less savings because the Stars get no relief if the salary for Zubov's replacement doesn't put them over the cap (does that make sense?). So it would have saved them about $10,000 a day instead of $15,000 a day. Sending just Neal down would have had a net of no cap savings.

Also, I would assume they're still installing so much at that point that they want the young kids up. It's almost like an extended training camp/

And Alistar - it doesn't matter if they're trying to circumvent the cap so long as they do it legally. You are allowed to demote and recall a player as many times as you wish, provided he clears waivers if necessary. It's cap manipulation, but so is Anaheim sending Bobby Ryan to the minors instead of keeping him in the NHL.