HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is The Sean Avery Hate Justified?

Old
10-21-2008, 12:07 AM
BlueMonk

vCash: 500
I like the fact he's in the league because it's fun to have players you hate. Avery is a terrible teammate and a self-aggrandizing *****, but every once in a while you get to watch something like when Hordichuk punched him through the ice and he got all pissy and defensive about it. I mean, that's some of the most fun stuff in hockey. So I'll take him.

BlueMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
again, you wouldnt understand, no other team dealt with as much Avery **** as the Kings
Next time I see Avery, I'll ask him to throw some cash your way so you and Brown can take group therapy together.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Jeremy2020

I'll say this, He's no Patrick Kaleta.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:11 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
Next time I see Avery, I'll ask him to throw some cash your way so you and Brown can take group therapy together.
if you are a "veteran" in the league, you dont go after an 18 year old kid who is in a whole new state, a whole new world, with new friends, new teammates, not to mention making fun of the lisp

Sean Avery pretty much held the entire team back, he was a big part of our mid-season slide during 05-06, and with the Rangers, he was pulling that **** with Marty Broduer

If Marty wasnt such a class act, or had the ferocity of Patrick Roy, Avery would have been in a stretcher

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:
if you are a "veteran" in the league, you dont go after an 18 year old kid who is in a whole new state, a whole new world, with new friends, new teammates, not to mention making fun of the lisp

Sean Avery pretty much held the entire team back, he was a big part of our mid-season slide during 05-06, and with the Rangers, he was pulling that **** with Marty Broduer

If Marty wasnt such a class act, or had the ferocity of Patrick Roy, Avery would have been in a stretcher
*YAWN*

Old
10-21-2008, 12:19 AM
benusmc

what did he say about brown exactly?

benusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:20 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
*YAWN*
yeah, I think the precedent for liking the "bad boys" has already been set

Yeah your really "cool" and "edgy" liking someone that is (and should be) universally loathed by both the hockey community and the hockey fans

Old
10-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Osprey

He's on his 4th team in 5 seasons for a reason. Ask the Red Wings, Kings and Rangers whether parting ways with him was "justified."

Last edited by Osprey: 10-21-2008 at 12:30 AM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:27 AM
SK13
V-Triggered

vCash: 50
Quote:

Yeah your really "cool" and "edgy" liking someone that is (and should be) universally loathed by both the hockey community and the hockey fans
Avery is a tool but I'm getting pretty bored with nice, quiet guys in this league too.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:28 AM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Avery is a tool but I'm getting pretty bored with nice, quiet guys in this league too.
There are players that are interesting and not D-bags

You can be a spirited competitor and be fun and raunchy without detracting from the sport of hockey like Avery has

Old
10-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Tank King Jimmy
DO LESS BETTER

vCash: 813
Used to like him, but then he started beating up on Andrew Ladd AFTER the linesmen had intervened. Ladd had a broken cheekbone, and had to wear a faceguard for a while. It was then I realized that he was a total asshat. He deserves no respect, and I would hate him even if he played for my team.

Tank King Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:56 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:

And I suppose that makes you the melodramatic, self-righteous, hockey guru?

For the record, universally (in case you weren't aware) does mean without any exceptions, in which case Avery isn't universally loathed, he's just exceptionally loathed.

And I am "cool" and "edgy", but that's just because I was born that way. Being a fan of Avery just adds to my repertoire of awesome.

Old
10-21-2008, 04:31 AM
mytor4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Destroyer View Post
Through lots of observation and reading here on these boards, I have noticed that Sean Avery is the most hated man in the NHL right now, but how does he stack up against the most hated players in the last ten years?

In my opinion he hasn't really done anything that bad. Claude Lemieux was hated for his brutal cheapshot on Kris Draper. Ulf Samualsson was hated for ending Neely's career. Gary Suter was hated for his crosscheck on Paul Kariya. Todd Bertuzzi was hated for punch to the back of Steve Moore's head. Sean Avery is hated for a few dives, and blocking Brodeur's vision with his hands? What am I missing? I know he has been in a few fights, but there is seriously no dirt on this guy but everybody hates him.

So why does he get all this hate when he hasn't done anything really that terrible at all?
I hate Avery more than anyboby you mentioned or anybody else playing or that has played in the NHL.

mytor4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:39 AM
ronnyweed

I like avery, and he is very effective at what he does... from what i remember the rangers had a much better record the last 2 years when he was playing as opposed to when he was injured/suspended

ronnyweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Except the Rags fan booing him i thought was uncalled for but whatever.

Dallas beat the Rags anyway tonight 2-1 so i guess Avery got the last laugh!
Ranger fans are unclassy just like Hab fans are. I mean, come on...boo'ing certain people on the opposing team...they're both arrogant, tasteless fanbases. They awso make a wot of noise at games & it huwts my ears.

Quote:
yes, he is a jerk off the ice too

Im sure any Kings fan can tell you how he has ruined the team, and particularily, Dustin Brown

It is not a coincidence that all the team leaders refused to speak to him

Classic example of a *****
Yeah...because rookies never get teased or initiated. I'm sure his junior years were mostly spent holding team prayer meetings & discussing their 'feelings'. He's lucky he never played with Tie Domi, Shayne Corson or Lyle Odelein.

You should read some Red Fisher stories if you think Sean Avery is such a big meanie.

Quote:
Through lots of observation and reading here on these boards, I have noticed that Sean Avery is the most hated man in the NHL right now, but how does he stack up against the most hated players in the last ten years?

In my opinion he hasn't really done anything that bad. Claude Lemieux was hated for his brutal cheapshot on Kris Draper. Ulf Samualsson was hated for ending Neely's career. Gary Suter was hated for his crosscheck on Paul Kariya. Todd Bertuzzi was hated for punch to the back of Steve Moore's head. Sean Avery is hated for a few dives, and blocking Brodeur's vision with his hands? What am I missing? I know he has been in a few fights, but there is seriously no dirt on this guy but everybody hates him.

So why does he get all this hate when he hasn't done anything really that terrible at all?
You're missing a lot if you're comparing him to Claude Lemieux. Avery isn't the dirtiest player in the league but he's the best at getting under everyone's skin. He's notorious for turtling/hiding behind the refs when he was in LA & running his mouth all over the ice as well as in the media. Just imagine Jarko Ruutu continuing his trash talk after the game.

That said, I get Sean Avery. He thinks it's all a game, even when the reporters are in his face. It's all an act. We all love to have someone to hate.

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-21-2008 at 06:47 AM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
He made fun of Valiquette after the game last night calling him a career minor leaguer. He was responding Valiquette's comment about Avery in the locker room while on the Rangers. Avery's comments reeked of bitterness and that's what he is all about. He's a ********* and a cancer but certainly entertaining. I would never want him on my team because honestly he's nothing special as a player, but he's funny to laugh at.

Tuggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
King Mapes
Global Moderator
HF's King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I love the Rangers but i thought it was pretty classless after all he did for them....
He trash-talked Rangers and their fans this off-season. I don't remember what he said but I do remember him doing it.

Record: 36-32 3rd in AL East
Streak: 2W

Follow me on Twitter @mapesHFboards
King Mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:50 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He made fun of Valiquette after the game last night calling him a career minor leaguer. He was responding Valiquette's comment about Avery in the locker room while on the Rangers. Avery's comments reeked of bitterness and that's what he is all about. He's a ********* and a cancer but certainly entertaining. I would never want him on my team because honestly he's nothing special as a player, but he's funny to laugh at.
Let's put it this way: he's great for the league but I hope 90% of kids out there emulate Lecavalier or Ovechkin instead.

Old
10-21-2008, 06:54 AM
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Avery is in no position to be calling other players career minor leaguers, because last time I checked, that is essentially what he is.

Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 6908
Avery is probably the best in the league at what he does, but there's a reason he's floated around to so many teams and it's not because hockey fans dislike him. The man is reviled by the players, even (especially?) those on his own teams. Last year 66.4% of 283 players polled by the Hockey News chose him as their most hated player in the league.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:09 AM
lemieux32*

Quote:

One big difference between the guys you listed as examples and Avery...they were all very good players, even top players at times, Avery is just a guy who tries to start stuff rather then become the player he could be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRMatt View Post
Both are not reasons to dislike the guy, guess hockey players can't have any side interests. Blocking Brodeur's vision was a classic!
This is the second thread on a MB where I have seen this argument. Where is the manual that tells people what reasons are legit to be able to dislike someone? Everyone has there own reasons and logic and telling someone what their reasons or logic should be is moronic.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP View Post
Do you think he eats **** burgers and fries? Puts his winter tires on to drive through a **** storm? ****** **** **** ****? A real **** hawk.
That about sums it up. Thanks.

The French Canadian rule: Read about it, go to bed smarter.

http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/the...-or-fiction-2/
loadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Avery is probably the best in the league at what he does, but there's a reason he's floated around to so many teams and it's not because hockey fans dislike him. The man is reviled by the players, even (especially?) those on his own teams. Last year 66.4% of 283 players polled by the Hockey News chose him as their most hated player in the league.
It kills me when people say things like "there's a reason why", as if you've got inside information. A great deal of players play for many teams, it doesn't mean they're all locker room cancers.

Why is Avery a Star? Because the Rangers were looking for more offense & a defenseman. They couldn't afford him, simple as that.

Why was Avery a Ranger? Probably because he was coveted by Sather.

Why did Avery become a King? Gee, I dunno, maybe it had something to do with the fact that he was on one of the best freaking teams in the league & he was expendable.

LA & Rangers fans wouldn't shut up about the guy the past 2 years, so don't give me this garbage about how he's more harm than good.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:30 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyluc View Post
I did too. Seriously these people were defending his every antic up until the day he signed with Dallas.

That was the funniest piece to last nights matchup.

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Avery is in no position to be calling other players career minor leaguers, because last time I checked, that is essentially what he is.
I was honestly thinking the same thing when I read that. Valiquette is like 31 and has only played in like 25-30 games in the NHL, that kind of screams minor leaguer.