HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is The Sean Avery Hate Justified?

Old
10-21-2008, 09:10 AM
Koivu84*

vCash: 500
Sean Avery is a waste of life, his on ice antics are his real personality. There's not a single good thing about him.

Koivu84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Ice View Post
Sean Avery is a waste of life, his on ice antics are his real personality. There's not a single good thing about him.
Who's that in your avatar?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
He trash-talked Rangers and their fans this off-season. I don't remember what he said but I do remember him doing it.
Avery did denigrate some of the free-agent signings (because he wanted to be one of them), but he has said nothing bad about the fans whatsoever. In fact, before last night's game, he put out a statement saying how much he loved playing in front of the passionate Ranger fans.

You can tell the guy still wants to be here. He wanted an extra $4 million more, of course, but there is no doubt he loved his time here.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:32 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
yea he might have loved his time here, but if he was such a ranger and loved it here so much then money wouldnt have been an issue and he wouldve stayed.. he had it all here.. greedy s.o.b.

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:33 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Avery did denigrate some of the free-agent signings (because he wanted to be one of them), but he has said nothing bad about the fans whatsoever. In fact, before last night's game, he put out a statement saying how much he loved playing in front of the passionate Ranger fans.

You can tell the guy still wants to be here. He wanted an extra $4 million more, of course, but there is no doubt he loved his time here.
Really? Oh I thought he talked about Rangers and their fans.

Well, then, no they didn't have a great excuse to boo him but they knew what was coming. He would annoy their players, which he did, and irritate them.

He is the best in the NHL at what he does, though. He's probably one of the best pests of all time in the NHL. You ignore him, you have a good chance to win. You listen to him and respond, it could be a long night. If you can't score and make nice plays, being a pest can earn you big bucks. I can't believe he got 4 mill but the Stars thought he can be that valuable just for bugging people.

"We could have the most potent lineup in Major League Baseball"
- Josh Donaldson

Follow me on Twitter @mapesHFboards
mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
yea he might have loved his time here, but if he was such a ranger and loved it here so much then money wouldnt have been an issue and he wouldve stayed.. he had it all here.. greedy s.o.b.
How many players do that? Lots of people like cities and leave, money talks. No way would any other team give him 4 mill so he took the biggest offer.

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Grade A ******.

I liked him when he was here and his antics are ok for awhile until you realize how stupid it makes the entire team look. And there is nothing wrong with lockerroom pranks but then you start hearing about how he and Roenick split the lockerroom and how he picked on an 18 year old kid for the way he talks and because he was getting married so young. He's ridiculous. I'm all for having a pest, but give me a Jarko Ruutu everyday of the week and twice on sunday over Sean Avery.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Yes he had it all here...except for a $16 million offer sheet! He didn't have that.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:25 AM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie551 View Post
Hopefully this is the right thread:

I wonder if Sean Avery isn't the TO of the NHL. The NHL needs players like Avery to even things out with all the quiet good guys in the sport. As for what he did with Broudor and the whole waving the stick, yeah that's probably fueling the hate but is that really a bad thing?
He isn't, and its they're really not comparable. Owens, while being a big talker and ego off the field, is also one of the top WRs in the entire NFL, and one of the better ones of all time.

Sean Avery is a 3rd liner who likes to talk about himself. At the end of the day, he'll never be one of the main reasons a team wins. Owens is.

Avery is like Deshawn Stevenson.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison View Post
Seriously Drury is a better hockey player than Avery. Avery is good at being Avery, but your argument here is quite silly. Those numbers will vary greatly by the end of the year.
Actually I found tonight that Avery looked like quite the twit trying to use his antics on his old team who knew he was going to do it. Not that interesting when you know what he is going to do, it's getting old now.
$10 mil for a guy who has 59 points in almost 100 games with NYR is worth it? Avery has 35 points in his last 63 games so i guess he should get a $10 mil contract as well.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:35 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Sean Avery has no fashion sense and the devil wears prada.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
Jiri Bicek
Rusty Shackleford

Send a message via AIM to Jiri Bicek
He's a dick on the ice... We all know that

However, he generates attention and does it damn well.. Good or bad.. It still works

I wish there were more guys with personality in the NHL

Jiri Bicek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
lemieux32*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
$10 mil for a guy who has 59 points in almost 100 games with NYR is worth it? Avery has 35 points in his last 63 games so i guess he should get a $10 mil contract as well.
One is a great leader who wins championships, the other is a third liner who talks about himself and puts himself above everything else.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Destroyer View Post
Through lots of observation and reading here on these boards, I have noticed that Sean Avery is the most hated man in the NHL right now, but how does he stack up against the most hated players in the last ten years?

In my opinion he hasn't really done anything that bad. Claude Lemieux was hated for his brutal cheapshot on Kris Draper. Ulf Samualsson was hated for ending Neely's career. Gary Suter was hated for his crosscheck on Paul Kariya. Todd Bertuzzi was hated for punch to the back of Steve Moore's head. Sean Avery is hated for a few dives, and blocking Brodeur's vision with his hands? What am I missing? I know he has been in a few fights, but there is seriously no dirt on this guy but everybody hates him.

So why does he get all this hate when he hasn't done anything really that terrible at all?
Well, there was the french Canadian comments, and then the "monkey" slur incident against Laraque. Being a pest is one thing, but thats crossing the line for a professional.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Yep...I wonder how Chris Drury contract looks right now? 0g 1a -4 hahahahahaa
Avery has more points than Drury so far this season...who's contract looks better right now?
Because comparing a 3rd line agitator to a 2nd line defensive forward is always a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
He trash-talked Rangers and their fans this off-season. I don't remember what he said but I do remember him doing it.
He trashed there signings. But he never said anything bad about the fans, he actually said NY has the best fans and the best arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
He made fun of Valiquette after the game last night calling him a career minor leaguer. He was responding Valiquette's comment about Avery in the locker room while on the Rangers. Avery's comments reeked of bitterness and that's what he is all about. He's a ********* and a cancer but certainly entertaining. I would never want him on my team because honestly he's nothing special as a player, but he's funny to laugh at.
He seems to call a few players "minor leaguers", but he didn't say anything bad about Dubinsky after Dubi said anything. He said Dubinsky will be a great player in the league and is a great guy.

Quote:
Because being a true leader, champion, great at faceoffs, amazing at defense, helps build younger players into great players, amazing at PK, is being compared to a 3rd liner who never hit the 20 goal marker and most likely never will, for what really? Also good job on saying Drury is making 10 mil, considering he makes 3/10th's less than that.

I love that before Avery came to Dallas, all Stars fans did was ***** about him being a classless jerk, now he's on there team. He's better than Drury.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:24 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Send a message via Yahoo to yada
avery got booed by rangers fans because he left for more money after talking about how much he loved his time in ny. now are you telling me that if a fan favorite team left for more money you wouldnt boo him, i dont get why its so confusing.

as far as other teams hating avery i think part of it is how hes a pest on the ice and is good at what he does.

yada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I love that before Avery came to Dallas, all Stars fans did was ***** about him being a classless jerk, now he's on there team. He's better than Drury.
Riiiight.

Also funny how there are probably scores of Rangers fans who felt Avery was great in New York, and now think he's a classless jerk because he didn't want to stay. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I'm sure you couldn't stand the guy when he laced em up for the Blueshirts and helped them win games, right Gong?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:28 PM
fatloui

he wants to be hated, if he wasn't he wouldn't be effective. I hate him and think he's a ********* but would love to have him on my team.

fatloui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Riiiight.

Also funny how there are probably scores of Rangers fans who felt Avery was great in New York, and now think he's a classless jerk because he didn't want to stay. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I'm sure you couldn't stand the guy when he laced em up for the Blueshirts and helped them win games, right Gong?
I loved the guy, I still like him, but to compare him to Drury? really? Come on Modo I know at least you have some sense.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:33 PM
OilerOlli*

Sean Avery is just a wannabe

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:39 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
I loved the guy, I still like him, but to compare him to Drury? really? Come on Modo I know at least you have some sense.
I never did compare him to Drury. If I'm paying over $7 mil for a center, I'd just rather it be Richards, that's all.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Serenade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Destroyer View Post
Through lots of observation and reading here on these boards, I have noticed that Sean Avery is the most hated man in the NHL right now, but how does he stack up against the most hated players in the last ten years?

In my opinion he hasn't really done anything that bad. Claude Lemieux was hated for his brutal cheapshot on Kris Draper. Ulf Samualsson was hated for ending Neely's career. Gary Suter was hated for his crosscheck on Paul Kariya. Todd Bertuzzi was hated for punch to the back of Steve Moore's head. Sean Avery is hated for a few dives, and blocking Brodeur's vision with his hands? What am I missing? I know he has been in a few fights, but there is seriously no dirt on this guy but everybody hates him.

So why does he get all this hate when he hasn't done anything really that terrible at all?
Unlike the other guys you mentioned, Avery is a guy people love to hate. No matter what people think of him, they generally want to hear what says, see what he does and then talk about it.

The other guys people just hate.

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:47 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarosefortheHart View Post
Used to like him, but then he started beating up on Andrew Ladd AFTER the linesmen had intervened. Ladd had a broken cheekbone, and had to wear a faceguard for a while. It was then I realized that he was a total asshat. He deserves no respect, and I would hate him even if he played for my team.
I hate to break it to you, but the refs were holding Avery, and Ladd skated over and said something right in his face. That's when he got decked. I have no sympathy for a guy who tries to start with someone as they're being restrained.

Go to the :35 mark

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Yeah, how dare he take a better contract offer! No other hockey player would do that, especially the guy in your avatar!!

Right?

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Uncle Danny

I liked him as a Wing, I liked him as a King, I liked him as a Rag, I like him as a Star (despite hating three of the four teams listed above).

He's an agitator, he backs up his mouth and play with his fists (and face) and he's not afraid to break the mold with his off ice persona. Those who are comparing his on ice stats need to realize that the benefits he brings to his team are largely not tracked. The fact that the Rangers were so much better with him ON the ice than off speaks volumes. The fact that he contributes on the scoresheet at the level he does (admittedly not elite, but at least on par with most 3rd liners these days) says he's a great player to have on your team.

*******? Absolutely. Was he a ***** for his ribbing of Brown? Without question. But every team he's played on has been better for his antics.

As for him being booted from teams for being a cancer in the lockeroom, let's take a deeper look:

Wings: He left in a trade that brought Schneider to a DEEP contender that needed a worthy pairing for Lidstrom.

Kings: Please... Mother Theresa herself would have been looking to leave this team.

Rangers: He speaks very highly of his time there, and left for a huge paycheck to play for a contender run by his first ever NHL roommate.

Where's the controversy?

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote