HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is The Sean Avery Hate Justified?

Old
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
LAX attack*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
I liked him as a Wing, I liked him as a King, I liked him as a Rag, I like him as a Star (despite hating three of the four teams listed above).

He's an agitator, he backs up his mouth and play with his fists (and face) and he's not afraid to break the mold with his off ice persona. Those who are comparing his on ice stats need to realize that the benefits he brings to his team are largely not tracked. The fact that the Rangers were so much better with him ON the ice than off speaks volumes. The fact that he contributes on the scoresheet at the level he does (admittedly not elite, but at least on par with most 3rd liners these days) says he's a great player to have on your team.

*******? Absolutely. Was he a ***** for his ribbing of Brown? Without question. But every team he's played on has been better for his antics.

As for him being booted from teams for being a cancer in the lockeroom, let's take a deeper look:

Wings: He left in a trade that brought Schneider to a DEEP contender that needed a worthy pairing for Lidstrom.

Kings: Please... Mother Theresa herself would have been looking to leave this team.

Rangers: He speaks very highly of his time there, and left for a huge paycheck to play for a contender run by his first ever NHL roommate.

Where's the controversy?
Any Kings fan will tell you you are dead wrong

do you even follow the NHL I wonder?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
benusmc

Will someone please say exactly what he said to Brown, it's pretty annoying to hear everyone say look what he did to Brown without going into detail, or was it just he made fun of his lisp?

benusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Uncle Danny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
do you even follow the NHL I wonder?
No sir, I don't. I follow these boards because I'm a tennis fan.

WTF kind of question is that? I'm sorry your team is terrible. As a fan of this joke of a franchise, perhaps you can step up as ambassador and explain to me why I'm wrong rather than posting two line insults with no supporting arguments.

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
No sir, I don't. I follow these boards because I'm a tennis fan.

WTF kind of question is that? I'm sorry your team is terrible. As a fan of this joke of a franchise, perhaps you can step up as ambassador and explain to me why I'm wrong rather than posting two line insults with no supporting arguments.
How about you TELL me why my franchise is so bad

We were going to the playoffs arguably in the first half of the season (05-06), but the team imploded, thanks in part to Sean Avery's antics

Sean Avery went above and beyond the traditional hazing for rookies, and made the locker room a very difficult place for him to live

How about you just stop insulting a particular franchise, because that makes you so "smart" and witty

Moreover, what franchise do you support? The 2nd round-wonder Sharks?

PS my real response would have gotten me banned from this place

Old
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Uncle Danny

Quote:

We were going to the playoffs arguably in the first half of the season (05-06), but the team imploded, thanks in part to Sean Avery's antics
Back this up. What antics, specifically? What did he do and how many games did it cost? Why?

Quote:

Sean Avery went above and beyond the traditional hazing for rookies, and made the locker room a very difficult place for him to live
I already agreed that he was an ass for his hazing of Brown. I said so in my first post.

Quote:

How about you just stop insulting a particular franchise, because that makes you so "smart" and witty
Huh?

Quote:
Moreover, what franchise do you support? The 2nd round-wonder Sharks?

PS my real response would have gotten me banned from this place
Red Wings faithful for two decades. I watched and loved Avery as a rookie.

Glad to hear you restrained yourself. I'd hate to see you banned for a temper tantrum.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Back this up. What antics, specifically? What did he do and how many games did it cost? Why?

I already agreed that he was an ass for his hazing of Brown. I said so in my first post.

Huh?

Red Wings faithful for two decades. I watched and loved Avery as a rookie.

Glad to hear you restrained yourself. I'd hate to see you banned for a temper tantrum.
I dont get why bashing the Kings pertains to this topic at all...

I guess you didnt watch Avery enough than, or his off-ice antics

Ok, I will find that "games lost due to locker room chaos and discord, and disrespect towards anyone" stat...

Old
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Well when you're pretty much blaming Avery for your team missing the playoffs three years ago, you're bound to draw some skepticism, LAX.

Seems a bit of a reach, don't you think?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Riiiight.

Also funny how there are probably scores of Rangers fans who felt Avery was great in New York, and now think he's a classless jerk because he didn't want to stay. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I'm sure you couldn't stand the guy when he laced em up for the Blueshirts and helped them win games, right Gong?
He did want him to stay.

Sather didn't give him the money Dallas did.

If you think Avery didn't want to stay, you missed his interview with the Maven after the game. He made it pretty much 100% clear that NY was his first choice and that he'd like to come back in the future.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Uncle Danny

Quote:
I dont get why bashing the Kings pertains to this topic at all...
I could have chosen my words more thoughtfully for those that root for the Kings. I'll do so now: Avery left a team destined for a rebuilding process. They are now in the midst of said rebuild, and making strides that should pay dividends in a few years. Happy?

Quote:

I guess you didnt watch Avery enough than, or his off-ice antics
Again, back this up. What did I miss? From my vantage point, it was the same Avery we've seen with every franchise he's been a part of (and, IMO, made better for it during his tenure).

Quote:
Ok, I will find that "games lost due to locker room chaos and discord, and disrespect towards anyone" stat...
Ok, that was funny.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He did want him to stay.

Sather didn't give him the money Dallas did.

If you think Avery didn't want to stay, you missed his interview with the Maven after the game. He made it pretty much 100% clear that NY was his first choice and that he'd like to come back in the future.
That's super.

Maybe he'll be back in New York before his contract runs out, who knows what the future holds.

My point, though, was that I've seen many Rangers fans on this site bashing Avery ever since he signed in Dallas, regardless of what he's had to say about the Rangers or their fanbase ever since leaving town. Just seems rather funny to me, for all these fans of the team he JUST played for, and apparently still likes, turning on him so soon after leaving.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
I could have chosen my words more thoughtfully for those that root for the Kings. I'll do so now: Avery left a team destined for a rebuilding process. They are now in the midst of said rebuild, and making strides that should pay dividends in a few years. Happy?

Again, back this up. What did I miss? From my vantage point, it was the same Avery we've seen with every franchise he's been a part of (and, IMO, made better for it during his tenure).

Ok, that was funny.

No, its really not, or at least I dont hope so

Obviously we have the screening of Broduer, as well as taking a lot of bad penalty and diving/turtling

But that is just the metaphorical tip of the ice-berg, he disrupted the locker room on a regular basis, as you already know he harassed the young guys, and if this is any evidence, many team leaders, including captain Rob Blake, refused to speak a single word to Mr. Avery

Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
That's super.

Maybe he'll be back in New York before his contract runs out, who knows what the future holds.

My point, though, was that I've seen many Rangers fans on this site bashing Avery ever since he signed in Dallas, regardless of what he's had to say about the Rangers or their fanbase ever since leaving town. Just seems rather funny to me, for all these fans of the team he JUST played for, and apparently still likes, turning on him so soon after leaving.
Your taking a few sour grapes and making it a generalization. Alot of us actually still like Avery. We just didn't want him pulling his **** on us, well because he's damn good at it.

He even said he was kind of happy he was boo'd, he said that's how great the fan's our in NY, They represent the front of the jersey not the back.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Might as well give him a rainbow wig, red squeaky nose, and oversized shoes, 'cause the guy is a clown. No doubt there is some talent in there, but he's the last piece I would look for if I had a team I wanted to be professional and focused for an 82 game schedule + 4 rounds of playoffs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
That's super.

Avery has just as many lovers as he has detractors. You aren't a Rangers fan. You don't post on our board. Therefor, you have no clue.

There are SO many Avery fans out there in the Rangers fanbase. Case in point -- the hundreds of them that wore Avery jerseys when he came back.

I'm totally fine with you defending Avery. But to sit there and bash a fanbase you have little to no clue about is pretty ridiculous. But, by all means -- keep burying yourself more.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Your taking a few sour grapes and making it a generalization. Alot of us actually still like Avery. We just didn't want him pulling his **** on us, well because he's damn good at it.

He even said he was kind of happy he was boo'd, he said that's how great the fan's our in NY, They represent the front of the jersey not the back.
Well I was careful to only mention "many" Rangers fans, not all of em. I know there are many, like yourself, who still appreciate the game Avery plays, and were happy to have him on the team.

And it's great that he relishes the boobirds he'll most likely receive in every arena this year.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Obviously we have the screening of Broduer, as well as taking a lot of bad penalty and diving/turtling

But that is just the metaphorical tip of the ice-berg, he disrupted the locker room on a regular basis, as you already know he harassed the young guys, and if this is any evidence, many team leaders, including captain Rob Blake, refused to speak a single word to Mr. Avery
Ryan Smyth did the same thing in the Stanley Cup against Carolina except he wasn't facing Ward, but when Avery tries to help his team win by trying to screen the goalie. It's part of his antics.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
duckyman

I agree with LAX here. Avery is a huge cancer, and an all around ****** off the ice. He has his own agenda plain and simple, he doesn't listent o the coach during practice he refuses advioce from his teammates. A mild manored Ilya Bryzgalov threw his stick at Avery when they were teammates in Cincinnati.
To quote JS Giguere,
" Everyone knows Sean is a moron! He doesn’t have the capacity of thinking before he talks. He’s not the smartest guy around.”

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Avery has just as many lovers as he has detractors. You aren't a Rangers fan. You don't post on our board. Therefor, you have no clue.

There are SO many Avery fans out there in the Rangers fanbase. Case in point -- the hundreds of them that wore Avery jerseys when he came back.

I'm totally fine with you defending Avery. But to sit there and bash a fanbase you have little to no clue about is pretty ridiculous. But, by all means -- keep burying yourself more.
I said many fans. Many, not all.

Many Rangers fans have bashed Avery since his departure.

Surely you will agree there's nothing wrong with that statement. It's not a generalization, and it's not a bash.

Old
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Well I was careful to only mention "many" Rangers fans, not all of em. I know there are many, like yourself, who still appreciate the game Avery plays, and were happy to have him on the team.

And it's great that he relishes the boobirds he'll most likely receive in every arena this year.
He didn't get as many boo's as expected IMO. I thought it was mixed, they only cheered when he got hit. It's expected IMO when a Fan-Favourite goes to a different team. I have a feeling he'll be back in blue in ~4 years. With that said I also hope he plays with all of his intensity against Marty. Oh its going to be awesome Wednesday.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Ryan Smyth did the same thing in the Stanley Cup against Carolina except he wasn't facing Ward, but when Avery tries to help his team win by trying to screen the goalie. It's part of his antics.
all the more reason to disrespect Smyth than

and to add even than, Smyth is a player that does it to have his team win... AVery, I suspect he wants the attention, probably didnt care that they would score a goal or not because of it

Old
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Quote:
He didn't get as many boo's as expected IMO. I thought it was mixed, they only cheered when he got hit. It's expected IMO when a Fan-Favourite goes to a different team. I have a feeling he'll be back in blue in ~4 years. With that said I also hope he plays with all of his intensity against Marty. Oh its going to be awesome Wednesday.
Definitely. Game's in NJ as well, no?

I'm sure Marty can't wait to see his old friend again!

Old
10-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Uncle Danny

Quote:

The screening of Brodeur was brilliant, IMO. Should it have been made illegal after the fact? Yeah, I think so. Was it illegal and did it hurt anyone (aside from some NJ fans)? Nope, quite the opposite.

Where was it written that Blake wouldn't speak a word to Avery? This isn't a baiting question, it's an honest one. If such (suspected) hyperbole is true, I might be inclined to listen some, but so far I've not heard anything concrete from the LA camp about him being a cancer aside from the Brown thing... which, again, I've already called him an ass for.

Being a bully (which there is no question he is) and being shunned by leadership are two very, very different things.

Old
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
The screening of Brodeur was brilliant, IMO. Should it have been made illegal after the fact? Yeah, I think so. Was it illegal and did it hurt anyone (aside from some NJ fans)? Nope, quite the opposite.

Where was it written that Blake wouldn't speak a word to Avery? This isn't a baiting question, it's an honest one. If such (suspected) hyperbole is true, I might be inclined to listen some, but so far I've not heard anything concrete from the LA camp about him being a cancer aside from the Brown thing... which, again, I've already called him an ass for.

Being a bully (which there is no question he is) and being shunned by leadership are two very, very different things.
I dont have a source unfortunately, so you will have to take my word about it I guess

And the Brodeur "incident" is more than jsut a (cheap) tactic to win (or in AVery's case, get attention), its about disrespect towards a (arguable) legend of hockey

Old
10-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
all the more reason to disrespect Smyth than

and to add even than, Smyth is a player that does it to have his team win... AVery, I suspect he wants the attention, probably didnt care that they would score a goal or not because of it
We get it. You have an undying hate for Sean Avery. And apparently Smyth too. But yeah Sean Avery was just on the Power play in the playoffs just to make headlines. Why is he even playing hockey? he should just straight into fashion? oh wait its just totally gay, right?

Quote:
Definitely. Game's in NJ as well, no?

I'm sure Marty can't wait to see his old friend again!
Yup. I was gonna get tickets and go. But.....the devils are just boring

Old
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
I dont have a source unfortunately, so you will have to take my word about it I guess

And the Brodeur "incident" is more than jsut a (cheap) tactic to win (or in AVery's case, get attention), its about disrespect towards a (arguable) legend of hockey
So because he was trying to get his team to score. He is now disrespecting Brodeur.....Wow....just wow.