HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is The Sean Avery Hate Justified?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-21-2008, 09:01 PM
  #101
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
I liked him as a Wing, I liked him as a King, I liked him as a Rag, I like him as a Star (despite hating three of the four teams listed above).

He's an agitator, he backs up his mouth and play with his fists (and face) and he's not afraid to break the mold with his off ice persona. Those who are comparing his on ice stats need to realize that the benefits he brings to his team are largely not tracked. The fact that the Rangers were so much better with him ON the ice than off speaks volumes. The fact that he contributes on the scoresheet at the level he does (admittedly not elite, but at least on par with most 3rd liners these days) says he's a great player to have on your team.

*******? Absolutely. Was he a ***** for his ribbing of Brown? Without question. But every team he's played on has been better for his antics.

As for him being booted from teams for being a cancer in the lockeroom, let's take a deeper look:

Wings: He left in a trade that brought Schneider to a DEEP contender that needed a worthy pairing for Lidstrom.

Kings: Please... Mother Theresa herself would have been looking to leave this team.

Rangers: He speaks very highly of his time there, and left for a huge paycheck to play for a contender run by his first ever NHL roommate.

Where's the controversy?
Any Kings fan will tell you you are dead wrong

do you even follow the NHL I wonder?

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:02 PM
  #102
benusmc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,437
vCash: 500
Will someone please say exactly what he said to Brown, it's pretty annoying to hear everyone say look what he did to Brown without going into detail, or was it just he made fun of his lisp?

benusmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:06 PM
  #103
Uncle Danny
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Frandisco
Country: United States
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
do you even follow the NHL I wonder?
No sir, I don't. I follow these boards because I'm a tennis fan.

WTF kind of question is that? I'm sorry your team is terrible. As a fan of this joke of a franchise, perhaps you can step up as ambassador and explain to me why I'm wrong rather than posting two line insults with no supporting arguments.

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:09 PM
  #104
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
No sir, I don't. I follow these boards because I'm a tennis fan.

WTF kind of question is that? I'm sorry your team is terrible. As a fan of this joke of a franchise, perhaps you can step up as ambassador and explain to me why I'm wrong rather than posting two line insults with no supporting arguments.
How about you TELL me why my franchise is so bad

We were going to the playoffs arguably in the first half of the season (05-06), but the team imploded, thanks in part to Sean Avery's antics

Sean Avery went above and beyond the traditional hazing for rookies, and made the locker room a very difficult place for him to live

How about you just stop insulting a particular franchise, because that makes you so "smart" and witty

Moreover, what franchise do you support? The 2nd round-wonder Sharks?

PS my real response would have gotten me banned from this place

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:19 PM
  #105
Uncle Danny
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Frandisco
Country: United States
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post

We were going to the playoffs arguably in the first half of the season (05-06), but the team imploded, thanks in part to Sean Avery's antics
Back this up. What antics, specifically? What did he do and how many games did it cost? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post

Sean Avery went above and beyond the traditional hazing for rookies, and made the locker room a very difficult place for him to live
I already agreed that he was an ass for his hazing of Brown. I said so in my first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post

How about you just stop insulting a particular franchise, because that makes you so "smart" and witty
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Moreover, what franchise do you support? The 2nd round-wonder Sharks?

PS my real response would have gotten me banned from this place
Red Wings faithful for two decades. I watched and loved Avery as a rookie.

Glad to hear you restrained yourself. I'd hate to see you banned for a temper tantrum.

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
  #106
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
Back this up. What antics, specifically? What did he do and how many games did it cost? Why?



I already agreed that he was an ass for his hazing of Brown. I said so in my first post.



Huh?



Red Wings faithful for two decades. I watched and loved Avery as a rookie.

Glad to hear you restrained yourself. I'd hate to see you banned for a temper tantrum.
I dont get why bashing the Kings pertains to this topic at all...

I guess you didnt watch Avery enough than, or his off-ice antics

Ok, I will find that "games lost due to locker room chaos and discord, and disrespect towards anyone" stat...

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM
  #107
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,920
vCash: 50
Well when you're pretty much blaming Avery for your team missing the playoffs three years ago, you're bound to draw some skepticism, LAX.

Seems a bit of a reach, don't you think?

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:24 PM
  #108
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Riiiight.

Also funny how there are probably scores of Rangers fans who felt Avery was great in New York, and now think he's a classless jerk because he didn't want to stay. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I'm sure you couldn't stand the guy when he laced em up for the Blueshirts and helped them win games, right Gong?
He did want him to stay.

Sather didn't give him the money Dallas did.

If you think Avery didn't want to stay, you missed his interview with the Maven after the game. He made it pretty much 100% clear that NY was his first choice and that he'd like to come back in the future.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:27 PM
  #109
Uncle Danny
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Frandisco
Country: United States
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
I dont get why bashing the Kings pertains to this topic at all...
I could have chosen my words more thoughtfully for those that root for the Kings. I'll do so now: Avery left a team destined for a rebuilding process. They are now in the midst of said rebuild, and making strides that should pay dividends in a few years. Happy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post

I guess you didnt watch Avery enough than, or his off-ice antics
Again, back this up. What did I miss? From my vantage point, it was the same Avery we've seen with every franchise he's been a part of (and, IMO, made better for it during his tenure).

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
Ok, I will find that "games lost due to locker room chaos and discord, and disrespect towards anyone" stat...
Ok, that was funny.

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:28 PM
  #110
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He did want him to stay.

Sather didn't give him the money Dallas did.

If you think Avery didn't want to stay, you missed his interview with the Maven after the game. He made it pretty much 100% clear that NY was his first choice and that he'd like to come back in the future.
That's super.

Maybe he'll be back in New York before his contract runs out, who knows what the future holds.

My point, though, was that I've seen many Rangers fans on this site bashing Avery ever since he signed in Dallas, regardless of what he's had to say about the Rangers or their fanbase ever since leaving town. Just seems rather funny to me, for all these fans of the team he JUST played for, and apparently still likes, turning on him so soon after leaving.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
  #111
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
I could have chosen my words more thoughtfully for those that root for the Kings. I'll do so now: Avery left a team destined for a rebuilding process. They are now in the midst of said rebuild, and making strides that should pay dividends in a few years. Happy?



Again, back this up. What did I miss? From my vantage point, it was the same Avery we've seen with every franchise he's been a part of (and, IMO, made better for it during his tenure).



Ok, that was funny.

No, its really not, or at least I dont hope so

Obviously we have the screening of Broduer, as well as taking a lot of bad penalty and diving/turtling

But that is just the metaphorical tip of the ice-berg, he disrupted the locker room on a regular basis, as you already know he harassed the young guys, and if this is any evidence, many team leaders, including captain Rob Blake, refused to speak a single word to Mr. Avery

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:34 PM
  #112
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
That's super.

Maybe he'll be back in New York before his contract runs out, who knows what the future holds.

My point, though, was that I've seen many Rangers fans on this site bashing Avery ever since he signed in Dallas, regardless of what he's had to say about the Rangers or their fanbase ever since leaving town. Just seems rather funny to me, for all these fans of the team he JUST played for, and apparently still likes, turning on him so soon after leaving.
Your taking a few sour grapes and making it a generalization. Alot of us actually still like Avery. We just didn't want him pulling his **** on us, well because he's damn good at it.

He even said he was kind of happy he was boo'd, he said that's how great the fan's our in NY, They represent the front of the jersey not the back.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
  #113
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,421
vCash: 500
Might as well give him a rainbow wig, red squeaky nose, and oversized shoes, 'cause the guy is a clown. No doubt there is some talent in there, but he's the last piece I would look for if I had a team I wanted to be professional and focused for an 82 game schedule + 4 rounds of playoffs.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
  #114
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
That's super.

Maybe he'll be back in New York before his contract runs out, who knows what the future holds.

My point, though, was that I've seen many Rangers fans on this site bashing Avery ever since he signed in Dallas, regardless of what he's had to say about the Rangers or their fanbase ever since leaving town. Just seems rather funny to me, for all these fans of the team he JUST played for, and apparently still likes, turning on him so soon after leaving.
Avery has just as many lovers as he has detractors. You aren't a Rangers fan. You don't post on our board. Therefor, you have no clue.

There are SO many Avery fans out there in the Rangers fanbase. Case in point -- the hundreds of them that wore Avery jerseys when he came back.

I'm totally fine with you defending Avery. But to sit there and bash a fanbase you have little to no clue about is pretty ridiculous. But, by all means -- keep burying yourself more.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:36 PM
  #115
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Your taking a few sour grapes and making it a generalization. Alot of us actually still like Avery. We just didn't want him pulling his **** on us, well because he's damn good at it.

He even said he was kind of happy he was boo'd, he said that's how great the fan's our in NY, They represent the front of the jersey not the back.
Well I was careful to only mention "many" Rangers fans, not all of em. I know there are many, like yourself, who still appreciate the game Avery plays, and were happy to have him on the team.

And it's great that he relishes the boobirds he'll most likely receive in every arena this year.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:38 PM
  #116
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
No, its really not, or at least I dont hope so

Obviously we have the screening of Broduer, as well as taking a lot of bad penalty and diving/turtling

But that is just the metaphorical tip of the ice-berg, he disrupted the locker room on a regular basis, as you already know he harassed the young guys, and if this is any evidence, many team leaders, including captain Rob Blake, refused to speak a single word to Mr. Avery
Ryan Smyth did the same thing in the Stanley Cup against Carolina except he wasn't facing Ward, but when Avery tries to help his team win by trying to screen the goalie. It's part of his antics.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
  #117
duckyman
Registered User
 
duckyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 342
vCash: 500
I agree with LAX here. Avery is a huge cancer, and an all around ****** off the ice. He has his own agenda plain and simple, he doesn't listent o the coach during practice he refuses advioce from his teammates. A mild manored Ilya Bryzgalov threw his stick at Avery when they were teammates in Cincinnati.
To quote JS Giguere,
" Everyone knows Sean is a moron! He doesn’t have the capacity of thinking before he talks. He’s not the smartest guy around.”

duckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
  #118
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Avery has just as many lovers as he has detractors. You aren't a Rangers fan. You don't post on our board. Therefor, you have no clue.

There are SO many Avery fans out there in the Rangers fanbase. Case in point -- the hundreds of them that wore Avery jerseys when he came back.

I'm totally fine with you defending Avery. But to sit there and bash a fanbase you have little to no clue about is pretty ridiculous. But, by all means -- keep burying yourself more.
I said many fans. Many, not all.

Many Rangers fans have bashed Avery since his departure.

Surely you will agree there's nothing wrong with that statement. It's not a generalization, and it's not a bash.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:40 PM
  #119
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Well I was careful to only mention "many" Rangers fans, not all of em. I know there are many, like yourself, who still appreciate the game Avery plays, and were happy to have him on the team.

And it's great that he relishes the boobirds he'll most likely receive in every arena this year.
He didn't get as many boo's as expected IMO. I thought it was mixed, they only cheered when he got hit. It's expected IMO when a Fan-Favourite goes to a different team. I have a feeling he'll be back in blue in ~4 years. With that said I also hope he plays with all of his intensity against Marty. Oh its going to be awesome Wednesday.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
  #120
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Ryan Smyth did the same thing in the Stanley Cup against Carolina except he wasn't facing Ward, but when Avery tries to help his team win by trying to screen the goalie. It's part of his antics.
all the more reason to disrespect Smyth than

and to add even than, Smyth is a player that does it to have his team win... AVery, I suspect he wants the attention, probably didnt care that they would score a goal or not because of it

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:43 PM
  #121
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn
 
Modo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Etobicoke
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,920
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
He didn't get as many boo's as expected IMO. I thought it was mixed, they only cheered when he got hit. It's expected IMO when a Fan-Favourite goes to a different team. I have a feeling he'll be back in blue in ~4 years. With that said I also hope he plays with all of his intensity against Marty. Oh its going to be awesome Wednesday.
Definitely. Game's in NJ as well, no?

I'm sure Marty can't wait to see his old friend again!

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:46 PM
  #122
Uncle Danny
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: San Frandisco
Country: United States
Posts: 60
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
No, its really not, or at least I dont hope so

Obviously we have the screening of Broduer, as well as taking a lot of bad penalty and diving/turtling

But that is just the metaphorical tip of the ice-berg, he disrupted the locker room on a regular basis, as you already know he harassed the young guys, and if this is any evidence, many team leaders, including captain Rob Blake, refused to speak a single word to Mr. Avery
The screening of Brodeur was brilliant, IMO. Should it have been made illegal after the fact? Yeah, I think so. Was it illegal and did it hurt anyone (aside from some NJ fans)? Nope, quite the opposite.

Where was it written that Blake wouldn't speak a word to Avery? This isn't a baiting question, it's an honest one. If such (suspected) hyperbole is true, I might be inclined to listen some, but so far I've not heard anything concrete from the LA camp about him being a cancer aside from the Brown thing... which, again, I've already called him an ass for.

Being a bully (which there is no question he is) and being shunned by leadership are two very, very different things.

Uncle Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:49 PM
  #123
LAX attack*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The Danger Zone
Country: United States
Posts: 14,544
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Danny View Post
The screening of Brodeur was brilliant, IMO. Should it have been made illegal after the fact? Yeah, I think so. Was it illegal and did it hurt anyone (aside from some NJ fans)? Nope, quite the opposite.

Where was it written that Blake wouldn't speak a word to Avery? This isn't a baiting question, it's an honest one. If such (suspected) hyperbole is true, I might be inclined to listen some, but so far I've not heard anything concrete from the LA camp about him being a cancer aside from the Brown thing... which, again, I've already called him an ass for.

Being a bully (which there is no question he is) and being shunned by leadership are two very, very different things.
I dont have a source unfortunately, so you will have to take my word about it I guess

And the Brodeur "incident" is more than jsut a (cheap) tactic to win (or in AVery's case, get attention), its about disrespect towards a (arguable) legend of hockey

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:54 PM
  #124
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
all the more reason to disrespect Smyth than

and to add even than, Smyth is a player that does it to have his team win... AVery, I suspect he wants the attention, probably didnt care that they would score a goal or not because of it
We get it. You have an undying hate for Sean Avery. And apparently Smyth too. But yeah Sean Avery was just on the Power play in the playoffs just to make headlines. Why is he even playing hockey? he should just straight into fashion? oh wait its just totally gay, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Definitely. Game's in NJ as well, no?

I'm sure Marty can't wait to see his old friend again!
Yup. I was gonna get tickets and go. But.....the devils are just boring

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
  #125
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh
 
Burlington Bomb 26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Green Mountain State
Country: United States
Posts: 16,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack View Post
I dont have a source unfortunately, so you will have to take my word about it I guess

And the Brodeur "incident" is more than jsut a (cheap) tactic to win (or in AVery's case, get attention), its about disrespect towards a (arguable) legend of hockey
So because he was trying to get his team to score. He is now disrespecting Brodeur.....Wow....just wow.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.