HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Habs A- team finally wins one at home against FLA

Old
10-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Laus723
Future Now

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
Florida was far from boring tonight. Granted I was expecting a snoozefest ala the Jacques Martin coaching era, but the Panthers were anything but that. You guys will go far if you can get a scorer or 2, as you already have a top 10 D corps IMO.
I think most people were. Deboer's done a lot to get the guys to buy into his system, but as I said, the new acquisitions have it figured out best. For obvious reasons. They're playing end to end hockey, it's fun to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmier View Post
Agreed. Ballard and Bouwmeester are 2 of the best young D-men in the game, and guys like Boynton, Allen and Skrastins are all reliable and gritty.

Loved what I saw from Olesz tonight also, I think you guys are an impact forward or 2 away from having a great team. If only you guys could have made the Ballard trade without giving up Jokinen.
Hopefully Horton will start to become that impact forward we need, we're expecting a lot out of him. Matthias and Frolik will hopefully grow into those players as well. Martin's worked on the team from the net out, next is the forward corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Dont mind them. I thought the Panthers played a totaly different game then they used to. Much more pressure in the zone and like you said the D supports the rush more. The game wasnt the same kind of boring game I'm used to from the Panthers.
Thanks, good to know that others are seeing what we're seeing out there from the Panthers.

Enjoy this season, guys.

10-21-2008, 02:41 PM
Corey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good post Nate. I really don't get the intense Brisebois hate from gino there. I am no big fan of the Breezer, but to rip on him after last night (or even for most of the season so far) seems like hating on somebody just to hate him. He hasn't cost the Habs a goal or game.
Brisebois has no points in 6 games. He isn't in Montréal for his defence.

S. Kostitsyn hasn't looked good on the line with Plekanec and Kovalev. True, his linemates haven't sparkled, but he doesn't bring what his brother does.

The so-called second line has far outplayed the first. Acquiring Tanguay was a splendid move, and Latendresse has definitely improved.

With injuries to A. Kostsitsyn and Higgins, Lang finds his line cannibalized to fill on the the first and second lines. With Kostopoulos and one of the remaining forwards on his line, Lang's best chances to score are during 4-on-4s and PPs.

I didn't like the fact that Florida had 36 SOG. Halak had to be both very lucky and very good.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:04 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Brisebois played a pretty decent game. Anyone who watched the game knows that O'Byrne was the worst defenseman on the ice tonight, which is why he was sat and Bouillon moved to the back-end.

Breezer had no noticeably bad turnovers last night and actually had some good scoring chances.. he also had a hit which isn't very normal.

He also hasn't been on the ice yet for a goal this year.. so he hasn't really too much of a reliability since the first game or two.

Good post Nate. I really don't get the intense Brisebois hate from gino there. I am no big fan of the Breezer, but to rip on him after last night (or even for most of the season so far) seems like hating on somebody just to hate him. He hasn't cost the Habs a goal or game.

Just for the record...I am not a "Gino"...

I recognise your (Nate + Marc) points and am not against them, I did use a PGT to vent out / lash out on the poor quality of Brisebois play in general in the history of brisebois...with Montreal...

This is a direct result of not having HFboards all these years as portal of lucid, constructive venting...

I apologize for using a PGT to vent my displeasure of Brisebois consistent errors and flaws with the habs, but by no means do I "hate" the man. Again I should have assessed Brisebois for his play within the scope of the thread which was a PGT...and not for his history. Late night posting! Sorry guys!

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Id like to get some of you guys' opinion on the Panthers. I think they proved last night that they could play with any team in the league on any given night. If it wasnt for Halak, the outcome could of been different. But the same could be said for Vokoun as well. I think we are great on defense and in net, but we just need our youngsters to step up at the forward spot. If they can get down DeBoer's scheme quickly, I think they are a playoff team, more so if Martin can add a quality forward at the deadline. Thoughts???
I don't think Florida is a playoff team.

Hard-working, improved skating, Deboer's system requires tenacity and intelligent play (the trap is not gone in his system), and the defense is good and goaltending solid ... there's just not enough talent there.

In order for Florida to be playoff calibre, it must be better than two of the following: Montreal, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa, Boston, New Jersey, New York Rangers, Washington/Carolina and Philadelphia. And I don't see that happening. There's a lack of offensive talent there.

With Mathias, Frolik, Olesz bound to improve, and a key trade/free agent acquisition, and assuming Horton/Booth continue to improve, then the team ought to do well. That also assumes Bouwmeester sticks. If all of those ifs pan out, then Florida will be a team to watch out for. But Vokoun will still be a question mark, as he can be incredibly inconsistent.

Weiss looked good last night.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:05 PM
HamrlikTheStud*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
I don't think Florida is a playoff team.

Hard-working, improved skating, Deboer's system requires tenacity and intelligent play (the trap is not gone in his system), and the defense is good and goaltending solid ... there's just not enough talent there.

In order for Florida to be playoff calibre, it must be better than two of the following: Montreal, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Ottawa, Boston, New Jersey, New York Rangers, Washington/Carolina and Philadelphia. And I don't see that happening. There's a lack of offensive talent there.

With Mathias, Frolik, Olesz bound to improve, and a key trade/free agent acquisition, and assuming Horton/Booth continue to improve, then the team ought to do well. That also assumes Bouwmeester sticks. If all of those ifs pan out, then Florida will be a team to watch out for. But Vokoun will still be a question mark, as he can be incredibly inconsistent.

Weiss looked good last night.
From what I've watched since October 10th, the Panthers are in the same group as Boston, Washington, Carolina and Philadelphia.

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamrlikTheStud View Post
From what I've watched since October 10th, the Panthers are in the same group as Boston, Washington, Carolina and Philadelphia.
I'd put Boston a few notches ahead.

Regardless, point is that Florida's still a few moves away from being a playoff team. They may sneak in here or there, but that doesn't make them a playoff team. There are definitely six, and in my mind seven, teams better than Florida in the East, and then a handful of other clubs that are either better or on the same level.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote