HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

it is early, but...

Old
10-21-2008, 03:21 AM
TCIH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
This has become such a popular excuse/expression for a couple of years now, but I find it quite ridiculous.

I would like you to find me any team in hockey that is able to dominate their opponent on every single shift. It just never happens.
We ended up destroying Toronto 6-1, but if Price doesn't make a couple robberies early on, it might have been different.
Every team loses games, some nights are harder than others, sometimes nothing is clicking and it makes it seem as if we're not trying but that's BS.
The same can be said about Detroit on some nights. It applies to every single team in this league.
Name me a team that always keeps a lead?..Impossible.
Name me a team that wins 82Games?..Never happened.
Name me a team that doesn't have off nights?..Impossible.
Name me a player that doesn't have bad games?..Impossible.

Stop dreaming about a team that will contently dominate the opponent game in and game out, it's simply impossible.

What makes a good team is that, even on tougher nights, somehow it always manages to squeeze some pts.

And as for what I can remember, we only trailed once in 6Games so far and we're undefeated in regulation time. That doesn't quite back up your theory that we're having trouble keeping the lead.
All I'm asking for is a game against a tough opponent (for those of you scoring at home, Toronto doesn't count) where the team doesn't either play period-long sequences of uninspired and unfocused hockey (Philadelphia, Buffalo) or sacrifice a lead and give up a potentially crucial point against a divisional rival (Boston).

Just one game. That's all.

...wait, that and to put in strong efforts over the course of a season. Sort of an important one, when crowning a team the 'best in the league'. Otherwise you're just checking to see who's on a hot streak at the moment.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Quagmier

One of the best things about last years team was the fact that it never lost 3 games in a row during the regular season. If the Habs can emulate that kind of pattern in any way, with the added talent and swagger this team has been showing there's no reason not to suspect they will challenge for the conference. I don't see them as head and shoulders above the rest of the top dogs in the east (NY, Pitts, Buffalo, Ott, NJ and even Philly) but I have confidence in this team that they can come out of any game with 2 pts. That is not a feeling that I've had with the Habs for many, many years.

Best team in the league though? That distinction goes to Detroit until there is concrete and absolute proof to suspect otherwise.

Quagmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:40 AM
FF de Mars

I sounds like a DJ Khaled song :

"we the best
who ?
we *****"

We say we are the best, but we don't mean it all the way. Anyways, we're close and I hope we'll be the best and that we'll win the 2008-2009 Stanley Cup Finals in a 7 games trench war against the Detroit Red Wings, to let them know who's the best : we (with the DJ Khaled voice) !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:46 AM
OneSharpMarble

Didn't Ottawa win it's first 10 games or something last year and then barely eek into the playoffs? Or am I thinking of Buffalo the year before? Reguardless this is waay too early, teams will adapt to Montreals style and there will be cold streaks. We have not seen the real habs team yet.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:21 AM
HabsOfSteel

Ottawa started with a 15-2 record last season. Had the season lasted a little longer they probably would have missed the playoffs.

Hate these kind of threads, they usually repop after a couple of weeks or months making the OP look silly.

HabsOfSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:35 AM
wedge

let's see after 25 games AT LEAST if we're still the first team in the league.

it's not the time to organize the stanley cup parade yet.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:37 AM
anarmandaleb

This is why people hate Habs fans. Best team in the league? When the Canadiens get the President's Trophy and go on to win the Stanley Cup you can say that but until then you can only say that they are one of the better teams in the league and that they haven't been playing up to their potential.

anarmandaleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:44 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I would not say the top team outright but we are one of the 4-5 teams that have a legitimate shot at the title.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:47 AM
znk

Lets wait till we beat the Sabres and play the Rags.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:49 AM
HamrlikTheStud*

We'll know who is the best team in the league only after seeing the Stanley Cup winner.

But we're definately in the same group as Detroit, San Jose, Pittsburgh, etc...

HamrlikTheStud* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 07:59 AM
wolfinhabsclothing

As entertained and excited as I am about this team, I'm not getting excited until the playoffs. Playing the same team, 4 to 7 times in less than two weeks, and making adjustments when they modify their game and come at you, is altogether different than what we see in the regular season.

It's obvious the Habs will make the playoffs, and be a high seed, now I want to see them compete better in the playoffs. That means coaching, toughness, skill, the whole she-bang.

wolfinhabsclothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:04 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarmandaleb View Post
This is why people hate Habs fans. Best team in the league? When the Canadiens get the President's Trophy and go on to win the Stanley Cup you can say that but until then you can only say that they are one of the better teams in the league and that they haven't been playing up to their potential.
Thank you "A", very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Lets wait till we beat the Sabres and play the Rags.
Also very well said, and when the hell did you change your avatar? I almost didn't recognize you.

Habs10Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:22 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Also very well said, and when the hell did you change your avatar? I almost didn't recognize you.
Last night. I felt the urge for a tinfoil hat.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:24 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsOfSteel View Post
Ottawa started with a 15-2 record last season. Had the season lasted a little longer they probably would have missed the playoffs.

Hate these kind of threads, they usually repop after a couple of weeks or months making the OP look silly.
agreed...way to early for this chatter...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
TheGoalJudge

All these reasons for our success are great.

What really really gets me is our goaltending. Absolutely top class. We can put in our backup and he'll make every save. This is the real reason we'll go far if we do.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
at this point in the season I think it is clear that we are the best team in the league. I mean through 6 games and 2 overtimes we have yet to even trail.
yet, we are still waiting for this team to put it all together... thats the scary part. I think this team has a lot more to offer than what we've seen. In the meantime, the habs just seem to find ways to get points.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:09 AM
la25ecoupe

Relax.. we haven't played Detroit, Rangers, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Sharks..

Relaxe.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:13 AM
LyleOdelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprez View Post
remember its not how you start, but how you finish that matters
--------------
Ah, the classic adage! I agree, but I think that foreplay is a good example as to how a good start can make the final results better, though. As long as you're not the Sens last year, which following my metaphor would be a case of premature ejaculation.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:56 AM
zx81

Habs are great but they still are one injury (to Markov) away from being a middle-pack team.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Kachino

Send a message via MSN to Kachino
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx81 View Post
Habs are great but they still are one injury (to Markov) away from being a middle-pack team.
Take off any elite defenseman from any team and you get the same results... I truly believe that the superstar defenseman is the hardest thing to replace on a team...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:00 PM
zx81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kachino View Post
I truly believe that the superstar defenseman is the hardest thing to replace on a team...
No doubt about that.

zx81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:19 PM
oli500

Well before we start saying that we are the best team in the league I would like to see how we play once we trail by a few goals. For teams like the habs its easy to win games once you have a lead because we have the ingredients to do so. What separates good teams and the best teams is how you react when you trail by one or two goals. Its important especially if you want to go far in the playoffs.

oli500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:26 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Bad karma, close this thread.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Losing Markov would hurt, but I doubt that it has 25 points of impact in the stadings. Markov was not at 100% during the playoffs and the defense didn't fall apart, we still had the upper hand teritorially, unfortunately goaltending hurt us.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 12:35 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Same can be said about a lot of teams...imagine Washington if they lose Ovechkin? Imagine the Rangers if they lose Lundqvist, imagine the Devils if they lose Brodeur...see the pattern?

HH is offline   Reply With Quote