HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

it is early, but...

Old
10-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Germz
4th liners ftw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPlex View Post
I think that a more indicative fact is that we're not playing remotely close to our A game, yet we're STILL WINNING!

We demolished Toronto, and we dominated the Bruins in the first period on Wednesday. Aside from that, everything else has been mediocre.

Once this team can find a way to play consistent, dominant hockey, we will be almost impossible to stop.
Speaking as a Sens fan who also like the Habs, this sounds promising, but it's not necessarily a good sign.

During last year's strong start, the Sens won a lot of games they didn't deserve to win. They were outplayed and had many flaws in their game, but Gerber was hot, the Big Line was producing, and the wins kept coming. They got overconfident, winning despite rarely playing a good all-around game.

Eventually, goal-scoring wasn't enough, the goaltending controversy emerged, and the awful defensive system was exposed. But the team had overachieved so much to start the season that there was a complacency about them. Sure the players said the right things to the press, but the flaws were never properly addressed on the ice. Instead, they got worse and the team went into a spiral. Then came a few key injuries, and pow, total ruin.

I don't think this will happen to Montreal. The Habs this year are deeper than last year's Sens, they have some injuries to deal with to start the season, and I think Carbonneau is a fine coach. At the very least, he ensures the Habs can play team defense.

But I just wanted to give fair warning that winning games early despite poor play is not necessarily a good thing. It's almost better to lose early despite playing well. The goal is to working on improving during the season and fixing the flaws, which every team has to start a season, even Detroit. Peaking too early means those problems may not get fixed. See: this year's Rangers (my bold prediction).

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:54 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Same can be said about a lot of teams...imagine Washington if they lose Ovechkin? Imagine the Rangers if they lose Lundqvist, imagine the Devils if they lose Brodeur...see the pattern?
Hell, we all saw how Detroit was when they lost Lidstrom due to injury...

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:10 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
at this point in the season I think it is clear that we are the best team in the league. I mean through 6 games and 2 overtimes we have yet to even trail.
5 wins. Sure.

Phoenix, Florida, Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia.

It's indicative of our schedule. Only two of those teams have any real post-season shot and only one of those teams is playing even remotely well.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:11 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
B y the way, talking about Theodore, do any of you guys remember the start of the 2005/06 season? The Canadiens were winning games left and right, and were doing very well. However, every night that fall, it seemed like everyone had an issue with Theodore's goaltending. I was the biggest Theodore supporter (as was FOTS, IIRC), and continued to defend him. The criticism got so big (despite us winning games), that I had to start an "Official Jose Theodore thread," in which fans would post after every poor performance.
I was a huge Theo backer, however to this day I think he was being overcriticized in the early going of the season, just like I think Huet was being overcriticized last season. However Theodore's play that season just fell off a cliff in December/January and at that point it was clear in Montreal he was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPie View Post
Hell, we all saw how Detroit was when they lost Lidstrom due to injury...
I hate this myth. Detroit did not simply regress when Lidstrom got hurt. They had lost 9 of 10, then Lidstrom got hurt, and they dropped 3 or in 5 after that. Lidstrom getting hurt had absolutely NO IMPACT on Detroit's 2nd half slide last season.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:20 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
B y the way, talking about Theodore, do any of you guys remember the start of the 2005/06 season? The Canadiens were winning games left and right, and were doing very well. However, every night that fall, it seemed like everyone had an issue with Theodore's goaltending. I was the biggest Theodore supporter (as was FOTS, IIRC), and continued to defend him. The criticism got so big (despite us winning games), that I had to start an "Official Jose Theodore thread," in which fans would post after every poor performance.

Wow, we've come a long way. Theodore was absolutely brilliant in 2002, and in the 2004 playoffs against the Bruins (Games 5-7). However, as time has worn on, I am relieved he isn't here anymore. We're much more solid and reliable, night in and night out with Price and Halak.
Oh I remember that. He pretty much started sucking after signing his big ass contract, but people were in denial and kept making up excuses for his poor performances, saying stuff like "if it wasn't for Theodore LAST GAME, we would have lost". Then he kept getting worse and worse, and people started waking up.

Yeah, glad that's over.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:42 PM
dutchy29

Quote:
at this point in the season I think it is clear that we are the best team in the league. I mean through 6 games and 2 overtimes we have yet to even trail.
more importantly than our wins, I feel the style in which the team is playing is
very reassuring, the team is playing a strong, fast passing game with lots of puck possesion and a mean aggressive forecheck, not too mention we have obviously gotten much tougher. I've been waiting for a Habs team like this since 1986. Very
exciting too watch.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Speaking as a Sens fan who also like the Habs, this sounds promising, but it's not necessarily a good sign.

During last year's strong start, the Sens won a lot of games they didn't deserve to win. They were outplayed and had many flaws in their game, but Gerber was hot, the Big Line was producing, and the wins kept coming. They got overconfident, winning despite rarely playing a good all-around game.

Eventually, goal-scoring wasn't enough, the goaltending controversy emerged, and the awful defensive system was exposed. But the team had overachieved so much to start the season that there was a complacency about them. Sure the players said the right things to the press, but the flaws were never properly addressed on the ice. Instead, they got worse and the team went into a spiral. Then came a few key injuries, and pow, total ruin.

I don't think this will happen to Montreal. The Habs this year are deeper than last year's Sens, they have some injuries to deal with to start the season, and I think Carbonneau is a fine coach. At the very least, he ensures the Habs can play team defense.

But I just wanted to give fair warning that winning games early despite poor play is not necessarily a good thing. It's almost better to lose early despite playing well. The goal is to working on improving during the season and fixing the flaws, which every team has to start a season, even Detroit. Peaking too early means those problems may not get fixed. See: this year's Rangers (my bold prediction).
yeah, you always want to peak in the spring and not in the fall. But I think the difference between the habs and sens is that there were public distractions within the sens team last year. The Ray Emery situation spiraled out of control and goaltending was already a question mark to begin with. I think the habs goaltending is deeper and stronger even if price falters. There seemed to be a general rift in the sens room and we probably dont even know half the story.

I would much rather think of the red wings who always seem to play consistently well from game 1 to mid june

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I would not say the top team outright but we are one of the 4-5 teams that have a legitimate shot at the title.
+1

I think that by the end of the season we will be the Conf champions again. But this time, we will also be right there with Detroit. We will be battling them down the stretch for the league title.

The team we currently are putting on the ice is not as good as the team that may play on Saturday.(if Higgins, A.Kost,laraque return)

The team we have after the trade deadline will be a well oiled machine with some tweaks if necessary or available.

This team pretty much has everything necessary to succeed. The job Bob did in the summer coupled with the influx of talent to Hamilton has really done the job. We are deep at every position, even Denis is doing great

Call me a homer but i am really happy with the squad. Like i have said before, the upgrade i see that benefits us the most would be a guy like Bouwmeester, a top Dman with wheels and 2 way ability. at the trade deadline.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:13 AM
Habs

Quote:
We haven't exactly been beating the top teams in the league for all those 6 games. Philly, Toronto, Phoenix and Florida aren't exactly a measuring stick for success.

I'd wait until we play some top teams before planning the parade route.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:34 AM
NewHabsEra*

1-Carbo is in full control of his team..

2-When everyone is healthy, we have the best top 3 lines in the league and a great energy line..

3-Koivu looks rejanuvated, playing at his full potential..

4-I never saw Markov smiling so much and believe me, thats a hell of good news..

5-We have the best pair of top guns in the net, Price worth the ticket alone by his incredible technic, he is already among the top goaltenders in the league IMO while teams like Ottawa Toronto would kill to have a starter like Halak..

6- We have one of the best top 3 D in the league even if Komi is clearly not at his best right now..

7-We have incredible depth, we found a way to win against a good and underrated Panthers team while a couple of our regulars were out..

8-Everyone is pushing in the same direction, some vets are probably unhappy to not play at time but it has no negative effects on the team since the team goes 1st, Carbo is paid to take the best decisions in favour of the team and everybody seems to understand this..

Thats a terrific hockey machine the 29 other teams will have to face during the season..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
We haven't exactly been beating the top teams in the league for all those 6 games. Philly, Toronto, Phoenix and Florida aren't exactly a measuring stick for success.

I'd wait until we play some top teams before planning the parade route.
all you guys seem to not include Buffalo? they were the first team we played and lost to them in a shootout.

doesn't help the "were the best" much, but we were in it and could have won it if not for the regular season shootout at the ok corral.

And what about Boston? they are a playoff team. I'll admit that our schedule has been not bad but it is far from a schedule the snub.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:45 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
There seemed to be a general rift in the sens room and we probably dont even know half the story.
Goalie controversies divide the room very quickly... just like QB controversies in football.... any other position there is enough playing time for both guys... but these two positions are very unique; and very important to the team. It is very easy for the other guys to have a natural tendency to take sides.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:34 AM
dcyhabs

Quote:
I think it helps that the only good or hot team we have played was Buffalo. And Buffalo won.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Tusk

Calm down everyone, let's just wait. I love my Habs more than most things I love, family and friends know this and will say, " wow, the Habs look great", and I've been saying the same thing for like a decade, "talk to me in March. " Anyone else remember being first in the east in November 97?

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote