HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Report: Nhl Governors Considering Second Team In Toronto

Old
10-21-2008, 04:02 PM
SpreeEndaz

vCash: 500
This debate is futile; there's two teams from "New York" so terminology isn't a problem.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:09 PM
D3nZ

Who's the NHL trying to be on this? The NBA?? Oh... wait they are.

D3nZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Fido22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
Copps isn't so bad now... and neither is the area around it.

100 million in renovations was also promised by Ballsille if he gets a team in Hamilton in order to bring the rink up to modern standards.... (its over 20 years old)

As for the perception of Hamilton as noname... Why not name the team the Ontario XXXXX.... kinda like Florida panthers or Minnesota Wild.
The Ontario XXX.

I like it.

Fido22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:29 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee View Post
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=253294&l...headlines_main

yikes, there goes any chance of seeing a non-toronto game on CBC. but a second team in toronto sounds like a good idea to me... as long as it's the thrashers
When do they get their first team?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Lone Rogue

Comments about Hamilton:

Hamilton could strike a deal with A Channel, which broadcasts in all of Southwestern Ontario, with exception to Toronto (they have their own network). That is if they wanted a non-sports channel.

I also love the idea that showing Hamilton would be bad for NBC. Are you telling me Detroit is any better? Have you seen Hamilton Mountain? It's absolutely gorgeous.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD View Post
Not a bad idea... but if you're gonna have an "Ontario" team.. wouldn't you put it in the biggest city/capital?
You have an arena in Hamilton that Balsillee could take control of.... There is no arena for him in Toronto... he would have to share the ACC or build one from scratch.

And i was wrong on the 100million dollar renovation offer earlier.... It was actually 170 million according to Bob McCowan on Primetime sports tonight...

With this renovation money the city would basically give him the arena.... This would allow him control over all revenues it could generate... ie concessions, parking, concert revenue... etc... Where in the ACC he would get none of this...

Thats why Hamilton makes sense for Jim Balsillee.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:47 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
You have an arena in Hamilton that Balsillee could take control of.... There is no arena for him in Toronto... he would have to share the ACC or build one from scratch.

And i was wrong on the 100million dollar renovation offer earlier.... It was actually 170 million according to Bob McCowan on Primetime sports tonight...

With this renovation money the city would basically give him the arena.... This would allow him control over all revenues it could generate... ie concessions, parking, concert revenue... etc... Where in the ACC he would get none of this...

Thats why Hamilton makes sense for Jim Balsillee.
I think renovating Copps would be a mistake. I can't see 170 mm or even 200 mm altering the structure significantly to make it viable long term. I'd put it in the same category as the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. That would be wasting a lot of money to try and fix it up. Unless of course it is a temporary situation in which case it would really be a waste of money

If I were to guess, if the "temporary" home was accepted with the renovations, many years from now they would still be there. Of course what follows after that is gimme a rink or I'll "move the team".

Hamilton has never really supported hockey that well at all. No Junior Team in the OHL. It took the deciding Calder Cup game to approach a sellout. I'm not sold that sellout crowds are going to come from the surrounding area. It is very iffy in my opinion

AHL Bulldogs attendance is averaging just over 4,000 (22nd out of 28) Toronto Marlies are at 27th spot with 2700. League average is about 5200

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/schedu...iew=attendance

I think Quebec City and Winnipeg should be considered before Hamilton or Toronto II

Old
10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
I also love the idea that showing Hamilton would be bad for NBC. Are you telling me Detroit is any better? Have you seen Hamilton Mountain? It's absolutely gorgeous.
Detroit has pro franchises in every sport.

You would have to call a Hamilton/Golden Horseshoe team the Ontario _____, but I agree with AD, why not just put it in Toronto(which is the point of the OP)?

I agree with JrHockeyfan. I can't see renovating Copps to be viable long-term...

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-21-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 05:56 PM
m00ks

Toronto Conifers.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I think renovating Copps would be a mistake. I can't see 170 mm or even 200 mm altering the structure significantly to make it viable long term. I'd put it in the same category as the Mellon Arena in Pittsburgh. That would be wasting a lot of money to try and fix it up. Unless of course it is a temporary situation in which case it would really be a waste of money

If I were to guess, if the "temporary" home was accepted with the renovations, many years from now they would still be there. Of course what follows after that is gimme a rink or I'll "move the team".

Hamilton has never really supported hockey that well at all. No Junior Team in the OHL. It took the deciding Calder Cup game to approach a sellout. I'm not sold that sellout crowds are going to come from the surrounding area. It is very iffy in my opinion

AHL Bulldogs attendance is averaging just over 4,000 (22nd out of 28) Toronto Marlies are at 27th spot with 2700. League average is about 5200

http://stats.theahl.com/stats/schedu...iew=attendance

I think Quebec City and Winnipeg should be considered before Hamilton or Toronto II
Copps is only 20 or so years old.... the renovations we are talking about would bring it inline with current NHL arenas.... it would be a major, major overhaul. They are saying 12-18 months of work before the rink is ready to go....

As for attendance, Hamilton has always wanted to be a big league city and they view the Bulldogs as minor league.... if its not the NHL it doesn't excite people.

There were deposits on 14,000 season tickets in a day and a half.... they will sell out every game... guaranteed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
Detroit has pro franchises in every sport.

You would have to call a Hamilton/Golden Horseshoe team the Ontario _____, but I agree with AD, why not just put it in Toronto(which is the point of the OP)?

I agree with JrHockeyfan. I can't see renovating Copps to be viable long-term...
If you can have a building for 170 million that is state of the art why not?? Its like half the cost of a new building.... You raise the roof... add in corporate boxes... renovate the concessions and entrances... new jumbotron... etc for that price. You'd have an 18,000 seat hockey facility for 1/2 price.

Old
10-21-2008, 06:23 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
They'd have to show Copps.

But that's assuming Copps Coliseum would be the official venue.

Point being, the NHL wants a sexy city that viewers can recognize in order to sell their product on TV. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the nature. Toronto pt. 2 would be something they'd have no problem with.
No they don't.
The NHL doesn't care about the cities.
Detroit is a dump.
They care about TV and ticket sales.
If there is no ticket sales, there is no TV contract. The fact that Balisle sold out on season tickets in a day and a half means there is a market.
With ticket sales, the TSN, Sportsnet, A Channel, CTV, Global etc would love to get their hands on a new NHL team, and people will watch it.

Balisle had plans with the City of Hamilton to renovate Copps to an NHL standard arena. Actually the Mayor of Hamilton was super excite and by ticket sales, so was the entire city.

14,000 season tickets is more then 3/4 as the avg arena is around 16-17,000 seats.

As my other post about Toronto never allowing it, Balisle would never pay $700 million for a NHL franchise.
He'd also never give MLSE a cent.

Actually he hired a lawyer to fight that single rule that the NHL holds with certain teams, but if it is up MLSE, they won't allow it unless they cough up a lot of money.
Balisle won't pay $240 million to buy a franchise, then another $500 million to MLSE, then have to worry about renovating Copps.

He's not stop, actually he's really smart.

Winning is not the #1 thing. They want to win THEIR way.....even if it means they're handicapping themselves.
compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
If you can have a building for 170 million that is state of the art why not?? Its like half the cost of a new building.... You raise the roof... add in corporate boxes... renovate the concessions and entrances... new jumbotron... etc for that price. You'd have an 18,000 seat hockey facility for 1/2 price.
OK, so you renovate Copps...but 170 mil can only go so far. I guess that includes a new mall and some parking(how they'd be able to accommodate 5-10,000 cars I'm not sure -I think the ACC has around 13,000 spots around it). Great new arena, sure, but to an NHL commissioner dreaming of the appeal of Las Vegas, Nevada to sell his game it's a pretty far cry. That's all I'm saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
No they don't.
The NHL doesn't care about the cities.
Detroit is a dump.
They care about TV and ticket sales.
If there is no ticket sales, there is no TV contract. The fact that Balisle sold out on season tickets in a day and a half means there is a market.
With ticket sales, the TSN, Sportsnet, A Channel, CTV, Global etc would love to get their hands on a new NHL team, and people will watch it.

Balisle had plans with the City of Hamilton to renovate Copps to an NHL standard arena. Actually the Mayor of Hamilton was super excite and by ticket sales, so was the entire city.

14,000 season tickets is more then 3/4 as the avg arena is around 16-17,000 seats.

As my other post about Toronto never allowing it, Balisle would never pay $700 million for a NHL franchise.
He'd also never give MLSE a cent.

Actually he hired a lawyer to fight that single rule that the NHL holds with certain teams, but if it is up MLSE, they won't allow it unless they cough up a lot of money.
Balisle won't pay $240 million to buy a franchise, then another $500 million to MLSE, then have to worry about renovating Copps.

He's not stop, actually he's really smart.
Again, Detroit has had pro franchises for almost a century so it's moot. We're talking about establishing new franchises in a place most Americans have never heard of.

TV contracts don't matter, you'd have the same companies broadcasting another Toronto team.

If the NHL board of governors is really serious about this, & since revenue is shared I think it will really come down to Bettman telling MLSE to cram it with walnuts. I wouldn't be surprised to see zoning rules changed instantly in order to accommodate the new franchise. If it brings more exposure + $$$ to the NHL & the rest of the owners, MLSE will really have no say in the matter & I'm sure the courts will decide against them if it had to come to that.

Old
10-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
OK, so you renovate Copps...but 170 mil can only go so far. I guess that includes a new mall and some parking(how they'd be able to accommodate 5-10,000 cars I'm not sure -I think the ACC has around 13,000 spots around it). Great new arena, sure, but to an NHL commissioner dreaming of the appeal of Las Vegas, Nevada to sell his game it's a pretty far cry. That's all I'm saying.

Again, Detroit has had pro franchises for almost a century so it's moot. We're talking about establishing new franchises in a place most Americans have never heard of.

TV contracts don't matter, you'd have the same companies broadcasting another Toronto team.

If the NHL board of governors is really serious about this, & since revenue is shared I think it will really come down to Bettman telling MLSE to cram it with walnuts. I wouldn't be surprised to see zoning rules changed instantly in order to accommodate the new franchise. If it brings more exposure + $$$ to the NHL & the rest of the owners, MLSE will really have no say in the matter & I'm sure the courts will decide against them if it had to come to that.
The revenues make sense.... its really only MLSE and Bettman standing in the way....

Its up to them IMO... but I don't see them changing their tune.

I honestly don't think Hamilton will ever get a team... all I'm saying is that they could support it and it would work IMO.

I would never be a Hamilton fan though.... I'm Habs for Life.

Old
10-21-2008, 06:54 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:

The entire article dealt with Balisle. He doesn't want a team in Toronto. He wants it in Hamilton. The NHL does not care for the landscape of the city as a marketing point. They are trying to market the ON ICE PRODUCT.
Toronto is turning into a slum. Its close to 1 billion dollars in debt (so there is really no hope for the City to help financee a 3rd stadium in 10 years), taxes are running rampantly high. I'd say around 90% of 416 and 905 are Leaf fans, so selling tickets to a new Toronto team won't happen.

The only viable location for ANOTHER NHL franchise in Ontario is Hamilton as they have proved they will sell tickets, the city will help fund the renovations of Copps, and I'm pretty sure Global/CTV/CBC etc will sign TV contracts with them.

Stop using American TV deals for Canadian teams. When was the last time you saw a Toronto vs Montreal game on NBC?
LOL.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old
10-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
The entire article dealt with Balisle. He doesn't want a team in Toronto. He wants it in Hamilton. The NHL does not care for the landscape of the city as a marketing point. They are trying to market the ON ICE PRODUCT.
Toronto is turning into a slum. Its close to 1 billion dollars in debt (so there is really no hope for the City to help financee a 3rd stadium in 10 years), taxes are running rampantly high. I'd say around 90% of 416 and 905 are Leaf fans, so selling tickets to a new Toronto team won't happen.

The only viable location for ANOTHER NHL franchise in Ontario is Hamilton as they have proved they will sell tickets, the city will help fund the renovations of Copps, and I'm pretty sure Global/CTV/CBC etc will sign TV contracts with them.

Stop using American TV deals for Canadian teams. When was the last time you saw a Toronto vs Montreal game on NBC?
LOL.

1)I'm not specifically talking about Balsilie so much as any ownership group willing to put another team in the GTA and

2)you really do think the NHL isn't concerned about marketing an image, which...I'm sorry but it's pretty naive to say that they're not. It's called selling the sizzle & not the steak & the #1 goal is to have the casual US viewer quickly identify team locales so that they may establish a familiarity so that it lends respectability(in their eyes) to the league. Hamilton, Ontario is to the US as bum****, Louisiana is to most people here. People make a huge deal about a woman on the VP ticket being from Alaska because if they haven't heard anything about a place, it ain't worth **** to them.

Again, it's not how I think things should be marketed. I think the product should speak for itself & people will either think certain teams are charming or the love affair will be so strong the game could be played on the moon & they wouldn't notice.

When was the last time I saw a Canadian team on NBC? Probably in the 07 Stanley Cup finals...before that, the 06 finals & the 04 finals.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old
10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

Quote:
I probably seem hard-headed because

1)I'm not specifically talking about Balsilie so much as any ownership group willing to put another team in the GTA and

2)you really do think the NHL isn't concerned about marketing an image, which...I'm sorry but it's pretty naive to say that they're not. It's called selling the sizzle & not the steak.

When was the last time I saw a Canadian team on NBC? Probably in the 07 Stanley Cup finals...before that, the 06 finals & the 04 finals.
1)If you read the article they kept refering to Balisle as a potential buyer. He is the only recently that has the money to do so.
2)The NHL does not want another ownership group as the whole Nashville thing with Boots has gone sour.
3)The NHL doesn't care about off ice city marketing (IE uses landscape pictures to promote the city). Where have you been in the last 5 years were in that entire time the NHL has been trying to push the ON ICE package. If they cared about what the city looks like Ottawa would not have a team better yet a stadium in its location (its 30-45 mins away from everyone), Detroit would have lost their team a long long time, same with Edmonton and many others.
No one really cares about the image of a city, maybe only the people that live in it.
Montreal could be an entire slum, and it would still attract people to its games, because its the Montreal Canadiens. The whole out of stadium image is a non-factor for an NHL franchise, as the games are playing indoors and not out.

4)Did I say Canadian team? I said Leafs vs Habs or Flames vs Oilers?
You don't see Canadian vs Canadian on NBC. CBC dished out $750 million for a tv contract. NBC has dished out less then $100 million (if not mistaken), why you ask, because American's find the PRODUCT boring.

Old
10-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
1)If you read the article they kept refering to Balisle as a potential buyer. He is the only recently that has the money to do so.
2)The NHL does not want another ownership group as the whole Nashville thing with Boots has gone sour.
3)The NHL doesn't care about off ice city marketing (IE uses landscape pictures to promote the city). Where have you been in the last 5 years were in that entire time the NHL has been trying to push the ON ICE package. If they cared about what the city looks like Ottawa would not have a team better yet a stadium in its location (its 30-45 mins away from everyone), Detroit would have lost their team a long long time, same with Edmonton and many others.
No one really cares about the image of a city, maybe only the people that live in it.
Montreal could be an entire slum, and it would still attract people to its games, because its the Montreal Canadiens. The whole out of stadium image is a non-factor for an NHL franchise, as the games are playing indoors and not out.

4)Did I say Canadian team? I said Leafs vs Habs or Flames vs Oilers?
You don't see Canadian vs Canadian on NBC. CBC dished out $750 million for a tv contract. NBC has dished out less then $100 million (if not mistaken), why you ask, because American's find the PRODUCT boring.
1)Potential buyers will come out of the woodwork to put a second team in Toronto, and not necessarily Canadian(look at our team, for example).
3)You ask me about the last 5 years then bring up Ottawa? Please stop with this nonsense about getting rid of a franchise because the city is a slum. Forget Hamilton, for a second. The same logic applies to Kitchener.

4)I think you just proved my point. Americans find the game boring...but the NHL desperately wants more American viewers.

Edit: just saw this on the main board

Quote:
Ok, so Im just listening to the Fan590 here and Bob McCown just had Nick Kypreos is on where, basically, he drops three massive bombs in regards to a 2nd team in Toronto:

1. Apparently, according to his sources, its NOT Balsille, but some group completely seperate from him
2. Apparently they want to put a Team NORTH of Toronto
3. Heres the kicker-- Apparently they've already GOT LAND purchased.
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=1...&postcount=127

Double edit:

From the Globe & Mail today:

Quote:
The league will never allow Mr. Balsillie to put a team in Hamilton for two reasons, according to one governor. One is that the city would be a tough sell for U.S.-based teams, and the other, more significant reason, is the belief it would ruin the Buffalo Sabres.

“It's a minor-league town,” the governor said of Hamilton. “How could we sell a team from Hamilton? Do you think the New York Rangers want to put the Hamilton Steelers on their marquee at Madison Square Garden? Do you think anyone in Manhattan would buy tickets to see them?”

He also said a team in Hamilton would mean thousands of fans in the Niagara Peninsula who attend Sabres games would simply drive to Hamilton to avoid border lineups.

“We do not want to kill the Sabres,” the governor said. “But if there was a second team in Toronto, that would not hurt Buffalo.”

A comparable situation exists in Los Angeles, where the Staples Center houses three professional teams – the Kings of the NHL, plus the Lakers and Clippers of the NBA.

A third governor thinks the Buffalo Sabres might accept a second team in Southern Ontario as well if it made business sense. He said that means charging Mr. Balsillie as much as $700-million (U.S.) for an expansion franchise.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

Last edited by Blades 0f Steel: 10-21-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old
10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
4)I think you just proved my point. Americans find the game boring...but the NHL desperately wants more American viewers.
Does putting a team in Columbus really provide more American viewers in big cities like New York, Bos, Phi, Mia, LA, Chi, etc??

Columbus is only a small step above Hamilton in terms of recognition by people in these cities IMO.

Old
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Copps is only 20 or so years old.... the renovations we are talking about would bring it inline with current NHL arenas.... it would be a major, major overhaul. They are saying 12-18 months of work before the rink is ready to go....

As for attendance, Hamilton has always wanted to be a big league city and they view the Bulldogs as minor league.... if its not the NHL it doesn't excite people.

There were deposits on 14,000 season tickets in a day and a half.... they will sell out every game... guaranteed.

20 years "or so" (finished in '85) is actually pretty old. The Mellon Centre and Joe Louis are not that much older. Heck I would prefer the Mellon to Copps and it is horrible. The Joe is getting dated too, but looks like a palace compared to Copps

I'm not sure I believe those stories about deposits for 14000. I heard some stories about "irregularities". Also, early interest is no guarantee. Anyway you think they are an attendance lock and I do not so I guess we disagree.

I actually find Copps to be pretty abysmal. The concourse is way too puny. Facilities are lacking. The entrance is the worst bottleneck I have ever encountered. Only the HSBC is almost as bad. And that is just the areas away from the rink. I really can't see why they would waste that much money on an old dog like Copps.

I don't think an 18,000 seat arena is going to cut it. Especially in Canada if the $ goes south again.

Build a new facility or forget any idea of going to Hamilton. 170 mm would be wasted polishing that place. Even during the seat sale Balsillie was saying Copps would not be long term.

Heaped on top of all of that are territorial issues. Pretty bleak all around

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 10-21-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old
10-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Does putting a team in Columbus really provide more American viewers in big cities like New York, Bos, Phi, Mia, LA, Chi, etc??

Columbus is only a small step above Hamilton in terms of recognition by people in these cities IMO.
15th largest city in the US, home to one of the most well-known Universities in the States & according to Wikipedia "[It is] Acknowledged by Money Magazine as the 8th best large city in the U.S. to inhabit, it is also recognized as an emerging global city."

It's no Los Angeles, but it's a far cry from being as unfamiliar as Hamilton. I don't watch college football, but I'm sure someone here can attest that people wouldn't change the channel on an Ohio State game.

From one of the quotes above:

Quote:
“It's a minor-league town,” the governor said of Hamilton. “How could we sell a team from Hamilton? Do you think the New York Rangers want to put the Hamilton Steelers on their marquee at Madison Square Garden? Do you think anyone in Manhattan would buy tickets to see them?”

Old
10-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
20 years "or so" (finished in '85) is actually pretty old. The Mellon Centre and Joe Louis are not that much older. Heck I would prefer the Mellon to Copps and it is horrible. The Joe is getting dated too, but looks like a palace compared to Copps

I'm not sure I believe those stories about deposits for 14000. I heard some stories about "irregularities". Also, early interest is no guarantee. Anyway you think they are an attendance lock and I do not so I guess we disagree.

I actually find Copps to be pretty abysmal. The concourse is way too puny. Facilities are lacking. The entrance is the worst bottleneck I have ever encountered. Only the HSBC is almost as bad. And that is just the areas away from the rink. I really can't see why they would waste that much money on an old dog like Copps.

I don't think an 18,000 seat arena is going to cut it. Especially in Canada if the $ goes south again.

Build a new facility or forget any idea of going to Hamilton. 170 mm would be wasted polishing that place. Even during the seat sale Balsillie was saying Copps would not be long term.

Heaped on top of all of that are territorial issues. Pretty bleak all around
The 170 million would widen the concourse.... develop some of the exit only areas, such as the one onto York street into additional entrances.

18,000 seats with Luxury boxes is fine.... its really the Luxury boxes that will matter not the seats.

As far as Copps being 23 years old... sure.. thats true about the Joe and the Mellon... but they haven't had major renovations like we are mentionning... You can build a brand new rink from scratch including buying the land for 300million... what do you think you can do with existing land and an existing structure for 170 million. The Montreal forum was 70 years old when it closed... but it wasn't really a 70 year old arena, more like a 30 year old one as there was a major facelift in 1968. After the major renovations the arena would be the equivalent of a modern NHL rink. Like I said we aren't talking a quick fix... we are talking 12-18 months of work before the NHL team could move in.

The ice making machines, building foundation, outside walls are already there... you just need to fix the inside and take off the roof and enlarge it with boxes.

Its viable. 18,000 is also right around the NHL average building size. Montreal is by far the biggest rink in the league.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Ross MacLochness

Quote:

Oh man. I remember trying to pick up tickets before Game 5 of the calder cup final, what a joke that was. And it would be like that for every regular season NHL game too.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross MacLochness View Post
Oh man. I remember trying to pick up tickets before Game 5 of the calder cup final, what a joke that was. And it would be like that for every regular season NHL game too.
No cause I'm pretty sure they would make a bigger, better ticket sale area with the renovations....

We all know Copps in its current state is not NHL ready... but we are talking 12-18 months of work and money poured into the place.

The team couldn't and wouldn't move in tomorrow.

Old
10-21-2008, 08:06 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
15th largest city in the US, home to one of the most well-known Universities in the States & according to Wikipedia "[It is] Acknowledged by Money Magazine as the 8th best large city in the U.S. to inhabit, it is also recognized as an emerging global city."
Seriously? I would never have guessed that Columbus was that high on the list of largest cities. Off the top of my head I can't think of a major corporation headquartered there other than Nationwide Insurance, but there must be some then.

Quote:
I don't watch college football, but I'm sure someone here can attest that people wouldn't change the channel on an Ohio State game.
Booooooo Ohio State

Go Blue!

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 08:08 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:

It's no Los Angeles, but it's a far cry from being as unfamiliar as Hamilton. I don't watch college football, but I'm sure someone here can attest that people wouldn't change the channel on an Ohio State game.

From one of the quotes above:
Thats why you don't name them the Hamilton Steelers....

You name them the Ontario _________