HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev

Old
10-21-2008, 12:58 PM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
If 3/4 posts go in we are having a kovy appreciation thread instead.

He's playing fine... the points will come

One thing that has to happen though is that Kovy/Markov should not be split on the PP... the PP is so much more dangerous if both of them are on the ice. Kovy/Markov stay together and Koivu's line goes with Hamrlik.
Thing is...the Habs PP is based on who was last once the ice.

If Kovalev's line just came off and the Habs are about to go on a PP, then Koivu's line goes in, if Markov just came off the ice, Koivu's line will have Hamrlik as the point man.

The Habs do not have a #1 or #2 PP unit...pretty much the only sure thing is that Markov unless he was just on the ice for 2 mins, will start on it.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Lucius

I am not worried about Kovalev, but I do feel like - especially in the last two games - he's getting frustrated and individualistic. Does that mean he's jumped the shark, hardly, but these last two games have been bad for him.

The difference though, between this year and last, is that last year even when he had a tough game, it seemed he'd throw one in on the PP and redeem himself. This year, he has hit a few posts in his tough games.

He'll be fine. Plekanec hasn't exactly been burning it up either.

The two of them just need a couple breaks and all will be well.

I think they just need a spark. If I was Carbo, I'd toss Laraque out with them for a couple shifts. Kovalev seems like he needs to get his blood flowing before he takes off. A shift with big Gorge running around might get him into the game.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
THE HOFF

kovalev has 2 goals, 2 assists in 6 games ....

he has a lot of shots ... missed the net / hit the post a lot of times...

he was our leading goalscorer last year, our best player, by far. He controls the powerplay, along with markov.

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK .... we only played 6 games... I mean, come on.

Wondering about kovalev and his attitude is like wondering if ovechkin would or wouldn't score 30 goals this year...

after 20 games, you can talk about these things, and even then ... there is over 60 games left, couple of multi points game here and there, and nobody is ever going to complain again about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
I am not worried about Kovalev, but I do feel like - especially in the last two games - he's getting frustrated and individualistic. Does that mean he's jumped the shark, hardly, but these last two games have been bad for him.

The difference though, between this year and last, is that last year even when he had a tough game, it seemed he'd throw one in on the PP and redeem himself. This year, he has hit a few posts in his tough games.

He'll be fine. Plekanec hasn't exactly been burning it up either.

The two of them just need a couple breaks and all will be well.

I think they just need a spark. If I was Carbo, I'd toss Laraque out with them for a couple shifts. Kovalev seems like he needs to get his blood flowing before he takes off. A shift with big Gorge running around might get him into the game.
I like.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-21-2008 at 05:17 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:14 PM
Lestriker

Send a message via MSN to Lestriker
Kovalev has always been a slow starter, not worried at all. I'm worried about Plekanec, who seems lost.

Lestriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Kovalev has always been a slow starter, not worried at all. I'm worried about Plekanec, who seems lost.
He had one of his better games last night though. They were missing the A.Kost Jam
last night. He adds the physical element and finisher to that line. His brother is not as physical and is not the shooter he is.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 01:50 PM
kovaless

As remarked yesterday, I think Kovalev needs to stick to basics to start things out this season. For every amazing godlike play, he literally turns the puck over 5 to 1.
However, I did notice a change in the 2nd and 3rd periods last night
That 1 powerplay that we didn't score on was phenomnal. And guess what, he didn't try to do anything fancy. Keep it simple, make basic passes, don't do too many dekes.
when you start producing at that, then pick the wow factor. It's about finding a comfort level. I'm sure he will get into it. But sometimes, it's painful to watch cause he turns it over so many times.

Keep it simple for starters, that gradually increase the "I'm god" fancy stuff.

kovaless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:07 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Walter View Post
Plekanec played a smart game yesterday, he has started slow but every game he seems to be getting a little better. His intelligence is his best asset on the ice and sometimes it takes a few games to get into the groove and start making the right plays. Same goes for Kovalev. I am not worried about Kovalev because he is still creating a lot of chances, just not finishing; it will come. One thing I liked about Kovalev's game last night was he was really physical, he caused about half a dozen turnovers with good forechecks and layed a couple body checks as well. It seems like Kovalev is a little more phsyical this year as he has already layed out some good body checks early on; it is good to see because he has quite a large frame and shouldn't be afraid to use it.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 02:56 PM
Maverik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post

Oh, Alex Kovalev fans.

I can't wait to see how you guys deal with what Koivu/Higgins/Latendresse fans have been dealing with for the past season. Have fun!

(Kovalev lazy. Jesus... Mats Sundin is lazy. Alex Kovalev is just on a cold streak)
I am a habs fan first and foremost, like most of us here. I don't think anyone will have to "deal with" the fact that Koivu/Higgins/Latendresse outscores Kovy/Plek/Kost. I would be extremely please if that happened actually

Maverik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
too late

bandwagon full

GTFO
That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen you post.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev the Great View Post
kovalev has 2 goals, 2 assists in 6 games ....

he has a lot of shots ... missed the net / hit the post a lot of times...

he was our leading goalscorer last year, our best player, by far. He controls the powerplay, along with markov.

GIVE THE GUY A BREAK .... we only played 6 games... I mean, come on.

Wondering about kovalev and his attitude is like wondering if ovechkin would or wouldn't score 30 goals this year...

after 20 games, you can talk about these things, and even then ... there is over 60 games left, couple of multi points game here and there, and nobody is ever going to complain again about him.
I agree with your post. Unfortunately, having a lot of talks about trade rumors and player points critics so early in the season is due to the fact that Mtl is a huge city for hockey. So lots of bs is spewed to keep the media's pocket full.

Cupmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Thing is...the Habs PP is based on who was last once the ice.

If Kovalev's line just came off and the Habs are about to go on a PP, then Koivu's line goes in, if Markov just came off the ice, Koivu's line will have Hamrlik as the point man.

The Habs do not have a #1 or #2 PP unit...pretty much the only sure thing is that Markov unless he was just on the ice for 2 mins, will start on it.
I know that... and what i'm saying is that we should make them 5 man units instead of the current way we do it which to me seems like its a line and a defence pair and the defence pair and the line don't always play together..

I'd like to see if Kovalev has been on the ice for a minute and drew a penalty at the end of the shift and Markov was on the bench... i think we still send out Hammer with Koivu... and then the second half of the PP is Markov-Kovy.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote