HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is This Team a One Trick Pony?

Old
10-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Is This Team a One Trick Pony?

I cannot be the only one who notices how anemic this team can potentially be offensively. I believe the number in our Goals-For column can be misleading. We have 6 goals in our last 4 games which is just 1.5 goals per game. About 40%+ of all of our offense has been generated from the Dubinsky unit. Last season our offense was based on Jaromir Jagr and company. This year I still see our team as a one trick pony. Our offense, the entire year, has centered around Voros - Dubinsky - Zheredev. When the line is on the ice for a PP the goal is to take a shot to the net looking for Voros for the deflection. Even strength Dubinsky powers his way to the net, shoots, Voros looks for a deflection, tip in, or jam play. The problem is what will we do when this unit slows down which is bound to happen?

Our "depth" hasn't been all that efficient this year. We had been preaching the depth that we had heading into this season. Thus far Korpikoski, Dawes, Sjostrom, and more importantly Naslund and Drury, haven't been producing at a consistent level. Dawes and Callahan admittedly look much more promising playing with Gomez. Gomez has been a solid player for us this year. He consistently performs and creates chances for us every game and in my opinion has been our best player this season.

Basically, I think the success of our club this year will depend on Naslund, Drury, Dawes, Korpikoski, etc; stepping it up and taking it to the next level. Drury and Naslund in particular should be some of our "go to" guys. Because I don't see Dubinsky / Voros continuing at this pace. I don't foresee Voros scoring 40+ goals or Dubinsky putting up 82 points. I think we will have a problem if our other players don't step up because I just haven't seen the depth that we all talk about. I'd like to see us elicit offense from other sources than being so dependable on a single unit like we were last season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
ThirdEye

Too early

Give them another 20 games and then we'll talk

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:16 PM
RANGERS2448

you talk like we are half way though the season its only a month old. give everyone some time im glad one of our lines is clicking. the rest should fall into place

RANGERS2448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Celestial Black

Don't think we are a one trick pony but our top guys do need to start producing.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Fataldogg

I know its early and thats exactly why I mention it. The other players need to start click in the earlier portion of the season. It doesn't do us much good if our other players start producing until 50+ games into the season.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
It's too early.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
broadwayblue

you are not the only one. a lot of us have commented that we might be in big trouble offensively. we lost a huge % of our goals when Jagr, Shanny and Avery left. even if Zherdev, Naslund and Voros make up those goals, we still end up at the bottom of the list in goals for. as i've been saying, we're going to have to win a lot of 2-1 games this season to have success.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Thirty One
portnor, pls

vCash: 420
you're right to assume that Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev won't keep up this pace, but do you think Drury and Naslund will stay this quiet offensively?

Thirty One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:43 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
you're right to assume that Voros-Dubinsky-Zherdev won't keep up this pace, but do you think Drury and Naslund will stay this quiet offensively?
Yes, drury is offensively challenged... Watch.. lol

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

When you want to make a post about "the entire year", at least wait until February.

There is a lot of chemistry and development that has to shake out yet. I'm just glad we 've been able to rack up a respectable amount of wins in our usual heavy Oct. schedule.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Fletch

I think...

that it's tough to tell. I seem to remember the Rangers having a tough time scoring through the first 20-25 games last season but were better in the second 1/2-3/4. While I think the ES offense is pretty poor despite some nice skating and some decent chances, they do have offensive players who can get on a hot streak at any time. Heck, do we really think Drury will end up with zero goals and eight assists? There is a combination of players that would work. Renney needs to find that combo, and hopefully he does it before Lundqvist goes into his annual slump.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:36 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

fix the horrific powerplay and all things seem better. the pp continues to be the achillies heel for this team. and it doesnt seem to be improving.

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I think we need to go back to the original lines. Callahan and Dawes really sparked Gomez, hopefully gomer can return the favor and get Drury and Naslund going. I hate seeing Drury on the third line.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 07:54 PM
GarretJoseph*

chill out dude, wayyyyyyy to early for this kinda talk.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 01:29 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Yes, drury is offensively challenged... Watch.. lol
And this makes it clear what kind of "challenged" you are

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:27 AM
shoothepuck

Many of NY's top point getters are gone. They didn't replace any of them with proven perrenial 30-40 goals per season scorers. NY will need alot of players to put up 20 goals each this season, and that will take time. They will have to win most of their games 1-0 or 2-1. Unless a trade is made, the scoring will need to be spread out, the PP has to become effective, and the D will need to clamp down. It's still early, let it shake out

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
fix the horrific powerplay and all things seem better. the pp continues to be the achillies heel for this team. and it doesnt seem to be improving.

aka fire perry pearn

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:51 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

We better watch out...cuz the Devs and Sabres are coming up the rear! The Rangers could be in 6th place in the division in no time...and I'm sure they will be. They MUST beat Columbus...and beat them bad.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
I hate seeing Drury on the third line.
Well he's a 3rd line player right now...and when I say "right now"...I mean "since he's been on this team".

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
you are not the only one. a lot of us have commented that we might be in big trouble offensively. we lost a huge % of our goals when Jagr, Shanny and Avery left. even if Zherdev, Naslund and Voros make up those goals, we still end up at the bottom of the list in goals for. as i've been saying, we're going to have to win a lot of 2-1 games this season to have success.
What's changed? The team was bottom 5 in offense last year even with those guys. Jagr didn't crack the top 25 in scoring, Shanny disappeared after the New Year and Avery isn't, never was and never will be a scorer. Worst case scenario, the team produces the same amount of offense as last year, but it's bolstered by a much improved defense.

Renney's 5 on 5 strategy is too defensively oriented for the team to be an offensive powerhouse at ES. Like offdacrossbar said, it's up to the PP to get it together and generate a bulk of the offense.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Bury Your Head

I never understood why some little girls grow up wanting a pony for their birthdays. A pony seems really boring.

Anyway, like Mel Jr. said, Renney's strategy is too defensive minded for us to score 4 or 5 goals a game on a consistent basis. That being said, we also don't have the necessary firepower to do so. This team will live and die by the 1-2 goal game.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Jobu

Why on earth did you guys have any expectations for Naslund?

Jobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Why on earth did you guys have any expectations for Naslund?
Because we're fans and we wanted our new players to do well?

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:10 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

Sign Shanny....NOW!!! He scored the most pp goals last year, we need that.

We also need to come to grips that Gomer and Drury are both busts in terms of production per $.

I say trade em both and pull up young players while you can...at least they are showing they are hungry.

Adam Graves said it best, "I can't find the net right now, but just because one facet of my game isn't going well, I have to keep playing hard, throw the body around, make contributions defensively so that others can shine.

None of our vets are doing this. They all need to take a long hard look in the mirror and ask if they really want the cup...cause winning a cup takes SACRIFICE, DETERMINATION, EFFORT. They look horrible out there half the time. This is not CUP WINNING HOCKEY, and most of all This is NOT Ranger Hockey.

Last edited by MikeyLikesHockey: 10-23-2008 at 11:17 AM.
MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Well he's a 3rd line player right now...and when I say "right now"...I mean "since he's been on this team".
Oh come on, 60 points on an offensively challenged team is not third line production.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote