HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers @ Senators || Wednesday October 22 || 7PM TSN XM205

Old
10-22-2008, 10:26 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
In regards to Lee, I can't help but think Sens fans have been spoiled by the last few rookie defensemen that have come through the system and played well (Meszaros and Volchenkov). Those two had it pretty easy. They came in on stacked teams that had two top 10 defensemen eating up all the important minutes. Lee doesn't have that.

He's coming in on a far less talented team with no #1 defenseman, a decent top 4, and is being paired with another young guy who is still learning the postion. Most rookie defenseman are going to have their struggles, and I expect him to see the press box a few times this year to learn a few things, but to yank the guy out of the lineup 5 games into the year is showing very little patience. Lee and his 13 minutes a game isn't the reason this team is struggling.

And as I post this, TSN says Lee is out of the lineup for Richardson, as is Donovan (for Schubert).

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Sena...2/7164686.html
Quote:
“It’s more of a numbers thing. I want to get Schubie back in. On the back end, I think Brian is a young player and I believe at times it’s good for them to watch. Luke is a veteran we need to get back in the lineup. It’s time he played. He’s a pro and it’ll be good for him to get in,” said Hartsburg.

“It’s been up and down for Brian. He’s a young defenceman with a lot to learn. We certainly like Brian and we think he’s on the right track. It’s also a night where it’s good for him to sit back and watch.”

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 10-22-2008 at 10:34 AM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:40 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
In regards to Lee, I can't help but think Sens fans have been spoiled by the last few rookie defensemen that have come through the system and played well (Meszaros and Volchenkov). Those two had it pretty easy. They came in on stacked teams that had two top 10 defensemen eating up all the important minutes. Lee doesn't have that.

He's coming in on a far less talented team with no #1 defenseman, a decent top 4, and is being paired with another young guy who is still learning the postion. Most rookie defenseman are going to have their struggles, and I expect him to see the press box a few times this year to learn a few things, but to yank the guy out of the lineup 5 games into the year is showing very little patience. Lee and his 13 minutes a game isn't the reason this team is struggling.

And as I post this, TSN says Lee is out of the lineup for Richardson, as is Donovan (for Schubert).

That's really frustrating. He should spend some time in the press box and some point this year, but I don't know he's played that badly enough to current warrant it. He's pretty unspectacular out there, I don't really notice him unless I look for him. That's not neccesarily bad for a young defenceman.

Also, Donovan's played great this year and doesn't deserve to be scratched. Neil hasn't played up to what he can do the past few games and deserves the scratch alot more than Donovan.

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:41 AM
MatthewT

Auld starting Friday vs Anaheim, Gerber starting @ Toronto, as per TSN ICE Chips

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
MuffinMan*

Hmmm. Hatsburg complains that players aren't working hard enough, and then he scratches one of his hardest working forwards? What a moron.

MuffinMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:54 AM
jordan7hm

Donovan has been a non-factor anyway, outside of the first game. He got very few minutes, even compared to his linemates, and while it's great he scored, that was a pretty fluky goal. Give his six minutes to Schubert instead... doesn't change very much in the large scheme of things.

I don't like seeing Richardson playing though. He is too friggen old and slow. He was too old and slow last year, and he was too old and slow this preseason.

Prediction: Richardson gets burned on at least two rushes this game, one of which is for a goal.

Edit: How can you say that Donovan has been one of the hardest working Sens? The guy has averaged 5.5 minutes per game this season, has one shot in the entire season, to go with 2 hits and 0 blocked shots.

The only other player on the roster with under 10 minutes per game is McAmmond. He is the center of the line and at least has thrown the body a couple times this season. He's also able to play on the PK.

If you want Schubes to play, this is a no brainer.

Last edited by jordan7hm: 10-22-2008 at 11:00 AM.
jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:55 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
Hmmm. Hatsburg complains that players aren't working hard enough, and then he scratches one of his hardest working forwards? What a moron.
Yeah, it's probably one of the few moves he's made that I don't agree with. If he wanted to send accountability through the dressing room, it might've been smarter to scratch Neil, compared to Donovan.

We don't know what it's been like practice or off the ice though, so I'll give Hartsburg the benefit of the doubt

KingKarlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Caeldan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan View Post
Personally since Smith has been making some bonehead moves lately resulting in goals - I say sit Smith for Richardson, and sit Neil as well.

I guess they are going the 'safe' route with Donovan, since he won't mind having a night off.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:09 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

I guess puck movement is of no importance.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:15 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
I like Richardson, in that he made me eat considerable crow last season in playing a fairly solid, steady role on the bottom pairing.

But we've already got Jason Smith, so another Jason Smith isn't really what I have in mind.

Meanwhile, Donovan for Schubert is a joke, but I'm guessing he's just trying to keep him happy.

We've got to trade Christoph sooner rather than later.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caeldan View Post
Personally since Smith has been making some bonehead moves lately resulting in goals - I say sit Smith for Richardson, and sit Neil as well.

I guess they are going the 'safe' route with Donovan, since he won't mind having a night off.
I don't think I'd sit anyone for Richardson at this point. I wouldn't say Lee has been any worse than Picard. If anything, I'd just change the pairings so that the young players can be paired with vets. I don't like seeing Lee and Picard get hemmed into our zone every shift, but I want them playing.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
If anything, I'd just change the pairings so that the young players can be paired with vets. I don't like seeing Lee and Picard get hemmed into our zone every shift, but I want them playing.
Mrs_NyQuil thinks that Volchenkov and Phillips should be split and given one of each.

It might be worth trying at this point.

Phillips hasn't exactly been stellar so far this season, maybe switching things up might help.

Old
10-22-2008, 11:20 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I don't even think Hartsburg has matched Phillips and Volchenkov up against other teams top lines, so I wouldn't mind seeing them split up. Volchenkov has been our best defenseman, IMO, so I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with Picard or Lee.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:21 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Over/under on Schubert taking a stupid penalty tonight?

Old
10-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Germz
4th liners ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Mrs_NyQuil thinks that Volchenkov and Phillips should be split and given one of each.

It might be worth trying at this point.

Phillips hasn't exactly been stellar so far this season, maybe switching things up might help.
Could be a worthwhile experiment. I was thinking of splitting Kuba and Smith (Kuba-Picard, Smith-Lee) - that way we could also give Smith less ice time - but they have perhaps been our most effective pairing overall? Also, Smith-Lee puts both our right shots on the same pairing, which might be a waste.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Bloggins

Quote:
Over/under on Schubert taking a stupid penalty tonight?

It's not a question of if but rather when he takes the stupid penalty

Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Chrass

I've never understood why Hartsburg plays his two youngters together. Clearly, they both need veteran leadership to play with. I'm pretty sure any other coach would have implemented this strategy from the outset. I hope he mixes up his pairings sooner rather than later.

Chrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

I'm just going to give a shoutout to Chris Kelly in the last game.

I've been knocking him for his play early this season (I don't buy this "shutting down Crosby" garbage) but against Boston he was flying again, hitting guys, doing all the little things that he's known for.

Hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Old
Skrymir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
It's not a question of if but rather when he takes the stupid penalty
More like how many...

Skrymir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dick Whitman

Glad to see Lee getting a seat in the press box, I sincerely don't think he's ready for the show just yet. I wouldn't mind seeing him have another year down in Bingo and start fresh next year.

I suspect Schubert's insertion is probably an audition of sorts. Or maybe he's just in to crack some heads, who knows.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:45 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Booth, Belak, Bo, Boynton, Ballard. we havent had much success historically against the B's, i hope this group is diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
I like that Luke is playing though. No forward should sit for Schubert. Donovan has played great, Neil has been fine, especially in the Sweden weekend. I dont think he'd be much better than McAmmond. There is just no room for Schubie.
It feels to me that you are the only other one who thinks Neil has been playing fine. I thought Neil had been playing quite well lately too.

Schubie and Richardson are part of the team, and need a chance to play. Its not Richardson replacing Lee though, it'll probably be Richardson and Schubie on special teams replacing the struggling Lee.

I thought Dono had done his job well too, but he knows he was hired to be the 13th forward here.

Cats look like they have a good lineup on paper. Booth looked like he was going to get a rep as a Sens killer. This should be a good game, could go either way

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Quote:

I've been knocking him for his play early this season (I don't buy this "shutting down Crosby" garbage) but against Boston he was flying again, hitting guys, doing all the little things that he's known for.

Hopefully. But Kelly was assigned the shadow of Crosby role. He did it well. And the numbers speak for themselves. There's not much to buy.

thinkwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild View Post
Hopefully. But Kelly was assigned the shadow of Crosby role. He did it well. And the numbers speak for themselves. There's not much to buy.
Crosby had no one to play with.

The whole line out there was shutting him down because Crosby was forced into playing with the puck on his own.

It's not as if Sidney starting producing as soon as the Pens played someone else. It took Malkin on his line to get him going.

In watching the games, I'd give the credit to the team defence, as opposed to the role Kelly played. He was part of it, sure. But I don't see it as a great individual achievement, personally.

Old
10-22-2008, 11:54 AM
BigEyedPhish

I agree, I think Lee could use maybe one more season in Bingo..

It would be good because he would be coming down to a vastly improved team as well..

Schubert or Richardson can take his spot and then we can call up Bass or Smith to take Schubert's spot.

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:55 AM
BigEyedPhish

Quote:
Crosby had no one to play with.

The whole line out there was shutting him down because Crosby was forced into playing with the puck on his own.

It's not as if Sidney starting producing as soon as the Pens played someone else. It took Malkin on his line to get him going.

In watching the games, I'd give the credit to the team defence, as opposed to the role Kelly played. He was part of it, sure. But I don't see it as a great individual achievement, personally.
You will probably never see kelly have a "Great Individual achievement"

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:56 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:

I thought Kelly has looked real slow, except vs. Boston as you said, and I got the Boston feed for the game on my CI and the announcers said something along the lines of "Kelly has gained a significant amount of weight this offseason, but has said it hasn't slowed him down." As in he was bulking up this offseason.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote