Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2009 entry draft picks

Old
10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
2009 entry draft picks

Long ways away from the '09 draft but I think I figured out our confusing 2nd round exchanges for '08 and '09, here goes:

1. Flames originally traded their 2008 2nd rnd pick to LA as part of Craig Conroy trade.

2. Then at 2008 draft Flames reacquired their 2nd rounder for '08 (drafted Mitch Wahl) along with Cammalleri for the 17th pick and Calgary's 2009 2nd rounder.

3. Flames added Montreal's 2nd rounder in 2009 as part of Tanguay trade.

4. Flames owe Chicago a 2nd rnd pick for Rene Bourque

So for 2009 as I can see Flames have:

- their own 1st rounder
- Montreal's 2nd round pick (Calgary's 2nd rnd pick belongs to LA). This pick may go to Chicago
- no 3rd rounder (went to Philly for Vandermeer)
- Flames have their own 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th rnd picks

Something to keep in mind for any in season trades.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

we need to keep our picks for 09 to keep building a positive future for the flames. Unless there a trade that makes sense then we could give up a pick. I still think we should deal aucoin away. your thoughts

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:06 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksa View Post
we need to keep our picks for 09 to keep building a positive future for the flames. Unless there a trade that makes sense then we could give up a pick.
A lot depends on where the pick ends up landing too. We all know the history of Sutter trading down for additional picks. Although this strategy hasn't helped fortify the system with blue chippers, it's justifiable from the perspective that later 1st rounders are roughly the equivalent of 2nd rounders. So, he simply identifies a potential trading partner, who has competition for a specific junior player and can target him by acquiring Calgary's pick.

Badger Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:47 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

FYI we have the option of trading 2nd round picks with Chicago etheir this year or in 2010.

Leperus Leprechuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
A lot depends on where the pick ends up landing too. We all know the history of Sutter trading down for additional picks. Although this strategy hasn't helped fortify the system with blue chippers, it's justifiable from the perspective that later 1st rounders are roughly the equivalent of 2nd rounders. So, he simply identifies a potential trading partner, who has competition for a specific junior player and can target him by acquiring Calgary's pick.
This however depends on which player Sutter and the Flames are targetting in next year's draft.
To carry the OP's thought further, which potential 1st- or 2nd-round players are of interest to the Flames or fit the Flames' organizational needs?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
FYI we have the option of trading 2nd round picks with Chicago etheir this year or in 2010.
Which i hope is 2010. From what i've read, 09 draft is another deep one. They'll want picks.

It also depends on where they wind up in the 1st round. If they are in the 20-25 spot I would see them move down and pick up another 3rd rounder, but 20 or less they'll keep it.

However, with the prospect pool filling, you want to be warry of always picking 7 or 8 guys every draft with the 50 limit. Basicaly saying, only trade down if its worth it don't trade down or trade for picks just to do it.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
Which i hope is 2010. From what i've read, 09 draft is another deep one. They'll want picks.

It also depends on where they wind up in the 1st round. If they are in the 20-25 spot I would see them move down and pick up another 3rd rounder, but 20 or less they'll keep it.

However, with the prospect pool filling, you want to be warry of always picking 7 or 8 guys every draft with the 50 limit. Basicaly saying, only trade down if its worth it don't trade down or trade for picks just to do it.
Im not clear on what your trying to say but WE have the option on trading our 2nd round for their 2nd round etheir this year or next.

So basically if chicago finishes lower then us in the standings thsi year we'll probally trade them and get a higher pick since there a young improving team and our only going to get better.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:01 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
This however depends on which player Sutter and the Flames are targetting in next year's draft.
To carry the OP's thought further, which potential 1st- or 2nd-round players are of interest to the Flames or fit the Flames' organizational needs?
Assuming that this question isn't rhetorical, the short list won't take shape until January/February. They're going to watch the Prospects Game and WJC to identify them. After the New Year, prospects values rise and fall. Then standout or poor peformances in the Memorial Cup gain attention.

Old
10-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob View Post
Assuming that this question isn't rhetorical, the short list won't take shape until January/February. They're going to watch the Prospects Game and WJC to identify them. After the New Year, prospects values rise and fall. Then standout or poor peformances in the Memorial Cup gain attention.
It is an honest question, as I would like to know, who are the early favourites around here. Going into the draft, the internet GMs and scouts spring up like mushrooms and everybody seems to know, who would be the best draft choice for the Flames, so I hoped to stimulate some kind of discussion about the 2009 draft class and potential targets for the Flames.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 09:04 PM
Badger Bob

Too early to realistically speculate on '09, but Kyle Woodlief's Red Line Report is a good place to check out from time to time.

Old
10-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abars View Post
Im not clear on what your trying to say but WE have the option on trading our 2nd round for their 2nd round etheir this year or next.

So basically if chicago finishes lower then us in the standings thsi year we'll probally trade them and get a higher pick since there a young improving team and our only going to get better.
Um you give us a 2nd! We dont give you one!

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Leperus Leprechuan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Um you give us a 2nd! We dont give you one!
Yah your right.

damn unreliable wikipedia.

Old
10-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Caged Great

Sutter's going to do what he always does.

If the player he wants is at where we're drafting then he'll take him. If he feels he can still get the player he wants several spots down, he'll trade down. If the player he really wants got taken just before he selects he'll say "****ing damn it" like at the last draft when NJ took Tedenby (TSN panned over to the flames desk after NJ's pick and Sutter said something to that effect)

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
serratedmuffin

Definitely agree with above poster, I was positive the flames were going to go the swedish connection and try to nab 2 possible first line swedes. I dont think they were too keen on Nemisz to begin with who has only put up 16 points in 15 games playing on a stacked team in the OHL which is pretty easy to score in.

Our defense hasn't been all that great, and an offensive d-man would be nice, but since I'm expecting between 17-25 draft spot nothing really good that low since I expect Ellis to go higher, although if he falls, I wouldn't be surprised if we jump on him. Otherwise expect someone who slipped during the draft for various reasons (ala backlund, Pelech,) or is relatively unknown. Think Scott Glennie or Anton Lander, that's my guess atm.

serratedmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote