HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leetch Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
02-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Leetch Proposal

This may be totally out of left field but Id like to get your guys thoughts on this.

Avs: Brian Leetch

Rangers: Derek Morris

The Avs are obviously going for it over the next couple years. Lacroix has a history of making a surprising deal for a top notch player at the deadline. Leetch could really shine for them. Considering the injury to Blake they could use some insurance and Leetch can give you major minutes at a high Level. Sauer isnt gonna get it done. They went after Bourque and that worked so why not Leetch?

Morris could give the Rangers a young d-man to build around. He hasnt fulfilled his promise in Col, but given a new start maybe he can become the player he has the talent to be.

This just seems like a Lacroix-like deal to me. Thoughts?

Old
02-29-2004, 08:05 PM
slim399

I dont think colorado makes that deal. Rangers would probably have to add something.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:11 PM
ddheyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim399
I dont think colorado makes that deal. Rangers would probably have to add something.
Why? Leetch is a better player than Morris is. Period. Yes the age difference, but colorado isn't looking 6 years down the road, their time is now, next year and the year after that ... in 6 years, Sakic and Forsberg will be gone and it will be an entirely different team. Yes I am a Ranger fan, but if I'm colorado, I do that deal in a heartbeat. Not sure I do it if i'm the rangers.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
This may be totally out of left field but Id like to get your guys thoughts on this.

Avs: Brian Leetch

Rangers: Derek Morris
From an unbiased view, that's way out in left field, sorry. Morris would be a #1 defenseman on quite a few of the teams in the league, right now. And he's only going to get better. Besides, at this point Leetch isn't a huge improvement over Morris, so it would make no sense to move one offensive d-man for another. It just doesn't fit any of Colorado's needs, because even if they feel like they need another puck moving d-man, subtracting one wouldn't help them at all.

They traded Drury and Reinprecht to get Morris. Would you take Drury and Reinprecht for Leetch? Of course you would, that would be a huge steal for the Rangers. Now consider that many people felt that Colorado stole Morris from Calgary and it just shows how much value he really has.

Old
02-29-2004, 10:44 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddheyman
Not sure I do it if i'm the rangers.
Are you kidding!? Colorado could probably get Gonchar for Morris, straight up (not sure if Avs would even do that.) He's young, cheaper than Gonchar or Leetch, and is a very good player that will only get better.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers guy
Are you kidding!? Colorado could probably get Gonchar for Morris, straight up (not sure if Avs would even do that.) He's young, cheaper than Gonchar or Leetch, and is a very good player that will only get better.
Well rumors have Morris going for Gonchar and Kolzig. I personally think its crazy because why would Col want to get Kolzig? They need a veteran back-up and Kolzig makes way too much to be a back-up.

As for the deal I brought up I'm not sure about it. I havent seen much of Morris. I dont think he's a #1 d-man like you stated at this point. If its in the right vicinity the Rangers would probably ship Simon along with it, but again I dont know enough about Morris to know if this is reasonable. I dont want to be the guy that brings up ridiculously one-sided trades

I think Leetch could be terrific in Colorado and Lacroix has a history of making big trades at the dealine which is why I brought it up.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Edge

Morris has to be one of the most overrated players in the league right now. he is a good player but hasnt come close to matching his potential in calgary or colorado and for a team looking for a stretch run, Gonchar and Morris couldnt hold a candle to what leetch could bring to a team in the playoffs. thats not a slam on them so much as leetch is a guy you win in the playoffs with.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:30 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
They traded Drury and Reinprecht to get Morris. Would you take Drury and Reinprecht for Leetch? Of course you would, that would be a huge steal for the Rangers. Now consider that many people felt that Colorado stole Morris from Calgary and it just shows how much value he really has.
We arent talking about trading for Drury and Reinprecht. I personally think they shoulda kept Drury, but thats neither here nor there.

From what Iv'e heard Morris hasn't played as well as Colorado thought he would and as for one offensive d-man over another. Morris couldn't shine Leetch's shoes in terms of overall accomplishments, and Leetch is still better right now. Do you have any idea how awesome Leetch would be next to a guy like Foote?

Leetch: 55 games, 12 goals, 23 assists, and a -4 on arguably the worst defensive team, and mediocre offensive team.

Morris: 64 games, 5 goals, 21 assists, and a plus 8. The best offensive team in hockey.

Leetch is the better player today, the issue is age and potential. If Colorado still believes Morris can be as good as when they traded for him then they probably wouldnt move him. He hasnt exactly lit it up, but hes obviously only 25.

The Avs are going for it now which is why the trade could MAYBE make some sense. Don't forget Leetch has a Conn Smythe under his belt so you know that he is a clutch player.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:33 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Gonchar and Morris couldnt hold a candle to what leetch could bring to a team in the playoffs. thats not a slam on them so much as leetch is a guy you win in the playoffs with.
Exactly. If the Rangers were a legitimate team then this trade wouldn't be considered.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Winston Wolf

I agree that the Avs will have interest in Leetch, but not for Morris. Morris has 26 points this season, which are decent numbers, but remember that the Avs have Blake and all the other great forwards who play the point, so Morris doesn't get too much power play time, or his numbers would be much better.

If I were the Rangers, I'd be looking at JM Liles for Leetch. He's a rookie this year and has really impressed me. Again, I'm not sure if Colorado would want to give up Liles, but it's far more likely than them trading Morris.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:41 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Morris has to be one of the most overrated players in the league right now. he is a good player but hasnt come close to matching his potential in calgary or colorado and for a team looking for a stretch run, Gonchar and Morris couldnt hold a candle to what leetch could bring to a team in the playoffs. thats not a slam on them so much as leetch is a guy you win in the playoffs with.
Sure, but do you honestly think Colorado would sacrifice 10 years of Morris for 1-2 years of Leetch?

There's no disputing who the better player is, but I really don't think Colorado thinks Leetch is worth giving up Morris.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Barnaby

[QUOTE=flyers guy], I'm not sure if Colorado would want to give up Liles, QUOTE]

Your right just send us a 3rd rounder for Leeth

Old
02-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Sure, but do you honestly think Colorado would sacrifice 10 years of Morris for 1-2 years of Leetch?

There's no disputing who the better player is, but I really don't think Colorado thinks Leetch is worth giving up Morris.
If it increases their odds of winning the cup they might. Leetch is still one of the premier defenseman in the league and plays his best in the clutch. If you think your getting him for some crappy pick or lousy prospect then guess what. Your not getting him.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:49 PM
Winston Wolf

[QUOTE=Barnaby]
Quote:
, I'm not sure if Colorado would want to give up Liles, QUOTE]

Your right just send us a 3rd rounder for Leeth
Ummm, I'm not sure if you've seen Liles play, but he's a pretty good player and is only a rookie. Certainly worth much more than a 3rd rounder right now, no matter where he was drafted.

Old
02-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
If it increases their odds of winning the cup they might. Leetch is still one of the premier defenseman in the league and plays his best in the clutch. If you think your getting him for some crappy pick or lousy prospect then guess what. Your not getting him.
I'm talking about this deal from an unbiased viewpoint and just telling you what I think Colorado would give up for Leetch.

BTW, Liles isn't a "lousy prospect." He's just not getting much attention because of the excellent rookie class this year and all of the other stars in Colorado. If last year was his rookie season I guarantee you he would've gotten consideration for the Calder.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:07 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
I'm talking about this deal from an unbiased viewpoint and just telling you what I think Colorado would give up for Leetch.

BTW, Liles isn't a "lousy prospect." He's just not getting much attention because of the excellent rookie class this year and all of the other stars in Colorado. If last year was his rookie season I guarantee you he would've gotten consideration for the Calder.
Yea I agree. I had Liles on my fantasy team. He is gonna be a future top pairing for them. Good offensive dman but small, I compare him to Rafalski in the future.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:33 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Yea I agree. I had Liles on my fantasy team. He is gonna be a future top pairing for them. Good offensive dman but small, I compare him to Rafalski in the future.
Good. Thats what we need. A small offensive d-man. Thats the one thing our team doesn't need....

Old
03-01-2004, 12:39 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Good. Thats what we need. A small offensive d-man. Thats the one thing our team doesn't need....

Yes that is why we get Liles, then flip Poti to bruins for Jillson and Samuelsson but knowing Sather he will do Poti for Rob Zamuner and Sandy McCarthy.

After the deal.

Sather: "These guys know New York, they know what it takes to win" I can see it now.

Sather past trade. I can see this happening with Kovalev. Edmonton Oilers GM Glen Sather announced that he acquired on Barrie Moore and Craig Millar from the Buffalo Sabres for Miro Satan on March 18, 1997. And this is the dope that is gonna run our trade deadline this year.

Old
03-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Yeah, he's like an inch or two shorter than Leetch, but he must be worthless...

Old
03-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Yeah, he's like an inch or two shorter than Leetch, but he must be worthless...
Worthless? No. Worth Leetch? No.

If we deal Leetch we get a LEGIT impact player. Whether he's a young player or prospect we will get someone back who can make an impact. A top 3 d-man or top 2 line player as well as a quality pick. There is no reason to deal him just for the sake of dealing him.

Old
03-01-2004, 02:15 AM
Barnaby

[QUOTE=JOrtmeyer41]Yes that is why we get Liles, then flip Poti to bruins for Jillson and Samuelsson [QUOTE]

Maybe you can explain to me how Leetch and Poti for Liles and Jillson makes us a better team? Younger? yes. In terms of talent not even close.

I was wrong.... our defense could get worse. It also manages to somehow get smaller as well.

Closed Thread