HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you think the NHL suspensions are not severe enough?

Old
10-22-2008, 12:27 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Do you think the NHL suspensions are not severe enough?

I tend to agree with this blog: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/..._send_a_m.html

Suspension of 3 games means nothing. If i was a player, i'd would face check the opposite team super star so he gets injured for 6 months, while i only get suspended for 3 games.

Who wins?

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-22-2008 at 12:48 PM.
la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Blades 0f Steel

If Kovalev hadn't elbowed Hollweg last year, he wouldn't have hit Kostitsyn. Kovalev started Hollweg down this dark path.

Kovy

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Kenny Powders

My though on suspension are that if a player gets injured by a nasty check, the player who gets the suspension get as long as the other guy gets healthy until he can come back on ice.

For example, Mikko Koivu who got slashed by Mattias Ohlund last year, if it takes 1-2 months to heal for Koivu, Ohlund gets as long as koivu gets back on ice.

It would keep people out for nasty checks IMO.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
My though on suspension are that if a player gets injured by a nasty check, the player who gets the suspension get as long as the other guy gets healthy until he can come back on ice.

For example, Mikko Koivu who got slashed by Mattias Ohlund last year, if it takes 1-2 months to heal for Koivu, Ohlund gets as long as koivu gets back on ice.

It would keep people out for nasty checks IMO.
No it wouldn't. No,nononononononono.

We see this comment after every dirty hit, and it never makes sense.

Say Kovalev boards some AHL callup on the opposing team. The medical doctor comes out, after a few winks and maybe a nod, he's off to the dressing room. The kid complains about post-concussion syndrome for the rest of the year & the Habs lose Kovalev until he comes back. Is this a very fair punishment?

Kovy

Old
10-22-2008, 12:44 PM
le_sean

Hollweg should be out of the NHL for the year. It's pathetic what he's doing, easily worse than Simon. Sure it can happen once, but this many times? He obviously has a problem and they need to keep him in check before someone gets his neck broken.

It's not like he's a good player either, his career high is 5 points, he serves no purpose in the NHL. You can hate guys like Avery and Neil, but they aren't necessarily dirty, they are just *******s and they can actually play hockey.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:46 PM
BORAT

I would like to see referees carrying tranquilizer guns, tazers and ...

wtf is the name of those hollow sticks you blow darts from ...

although Laraque would probably get the brunt end of that ...

but that would be awesome ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I'd like for someone to seriously injure Hollowig, he's a dangerous player and doesn't deserve any respect from anybody. He'll end up breaking somebody's neck so I hope someone does it to him first. The NHL should have the balls to suspend him for 40 games as a multiple repeat offender.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 PM
Beakermania*

4 boarding majors in 40 games is too much...

He should've gotten way more...

Overall i agree the league is far too lax on these things.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
No it wouldn't. No,nononononononono.

We see this comment after every dirty hit, and it never makes sense.

Say Kovalev boards some AHL callup on the opposing team. The medical doctor comes out, after a few winks and maybe a nod, he's off to the dressing room. The kid complains about post-concussion syndrome for the rest of the year & the Habs lose Kovalev until he comes back. Is this a very fair punishment?

Kovy
Not that I agree with the ''suspended until guy heals'' theory, but it wouldn't apply to a superstar that's not even close to being a dirty player.

I just think they have to be a lot more severe.
The minimum should be a 5Game suspension. Im not sure if it's already like that, but every missed game should be without pay.

If a player gets suspended again in the same year or in a 82 Games span, you triple the punishment.
If he gets suspended for a third time, it's for the next 82Games.
Because like Bertuzzi, he didn't miss much due to the strike, so he got away with one.

Now, the stick swinging, skate chopping, the real nasty ones should get more severe punishment starting at 41Games without pay.

It's quite simple really, the harsher the penalty, the less it'll happen. We can say automatic ban, you can be sure players will be more careful.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I would like to see referees carrying tranquilizer guns, tazers and ...

wtf is the name of those hollow sticks you blow darts from ...

although Laraque would probably get the brunt end of that ...

but that would be awesome ...
And cattle prods! Cattles prods, that'll keep those face-offs quick.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not that I agree with the ''suspended until guy heals'' theory, but it wouldn't apply to a superstar that's not even close to being a dirty player.

I just think they have to be a lot more severe.
The minimum should be a 5Game suspension. Im not sure if it's already like that, but every missed game should be without pay.

If a player gets suspended again in the same year or in a 82 Games span, you triple the punishment.
If he gets suspended for a third time, it's for the next 82Games.
Because like Bertuzzi, he didn't miss much due to the strike, so he got away with one.

Now, the stick swinging, skate chopping, the real nasty ones should get more severe punishment starting at 41Games without pay.

It's quite simple really, the harsher the penalty, the less it'll happen. We can say automatic ban, you can be sure players will be more careful.
Isn't that pretty close to how Coli Campbell does things right now? Aren't you just asking him to be more severe with his punishments?

Old
10-22-2008, 01:17 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
And cattle prods! Cattles prods, that'll keep those face-offs quick.
CATTLE PRODS !!! thats the spirit lass !

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
RC51

Instead of these suspension why not bring back public caneing.
At game intermissions and right at center ice.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

It depends of the type of punition.

The Carcilo-Eager of Peca-referee incident when the NHL gave suspensions was totally stupid. It prevent the crowd from seeing good hockey players. Maybe you'll agree for Peca but say WTF Carcilo is not a ''good'' player. But if he get suspended, it may be McGrattan instead and he's even worse.

The Hollweg suspensions are ok because this guy is dangerous and a real threat on the ice.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-22-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:53 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
It depends of the type of punition.

The Carcilo-Eager of Peca-referee incident when the NHL gave suspensions was totally stupid. It prevent the crowd from seeing good hockey players. Maybe you'll agree for Peca but say WTF Carcilo is not a ''good'' player. But if he get suspended, it may be McGrattan instead and he's even worse.

The Hollweg suspensions are ok because this guy is dangerous and a real threat on the ice.
So if you are a good player you can do whatever you want and not get suspended.

Also Gay is not a synonym for stupid or bad.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:55 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
4 boarding majors in 40 games is too much...

He should've gotten way more...

Overall i agree the league is far too lax on these things.
It's ridiculous. A boarding major- not a minor, a major- roughly every ten games, and this moron is still in the league?

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:56 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

I'd say first and second offense are alright. Regular suspensions. For repeated offenders :

Third offense : 1/4 of a season (20 games)
Fourth = 1/2 of a season (40 games)
Fifth offense 3/4 of a season (60 games)

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:10 PM
LyleOdelein

I think one of the biggest problems with the NHL's discipline is that the major criteria for suspending someone is "intent". Then, they consider past suspensions, time and score of the game, etc. As a result, sometimes, a truly reckless player can repeatedly get away with dangerous actions and merely get a slap on the wrist for it.

Intent is a tough thing to determine. Do I think that Hollwig goes out intending to throw dangerous checks that could injure guys and end careers? No. I think he's a reckless player. The difference is that he never stops himself from throwing hits that could be dangerous rather than that he goes out an looks for them. A reckless player doesn't see the possible consequences of his action, and as a result can be very dangerous. In my opinion, reckless plays lead to far more frequent injuries than "match" penalty plays where the intent to injure is there. Jones' hit on Bergeron last year is an example of a reckless play that led to serious injury, as is Torrey Mitchell's check that broke Foster's leg. Foster hasn't returned yet, while Bergeron's career was in jeopardy last year. Yet, the league still hands out minimal punishment.

So the question for me is, why hasn't the NHL remedied this? I can think of examples from every season I've watched where a player crosses the line, and gets off relatively free because it wasn't fully intentional (Lemieux on Draper, McLaren on Zednik, Marchment on Weight, Orpik on Cole, etc.) Yet, the second there's an injury caused with intent, it's a long suspension (Hunter on Turgeon, McSorely, Bertuzzi).

The NHL needs to start telling it's players that they are responsible for reckless plays like boarding, charging, kneeing, elbowing and headshots. Hockey's a fast game, and any knowledgeable fan knows that occasionally a boarding call is going to take place, or a high hit, so I don't mean that a first time offender should be heavily penalized. However, if someone is repeatedly suspended for these types of offences, that player is a timebomb that's going to end a career (like Ulf and Marchment before them). I would say that a full year ban should be given to a player who has received 3 separate suspensions for reckless penalties within a 5 year span.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote