HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

George brings a balance to the Force!

Old
10-18-2008, 09:45 PM
sampollock

vCash: 500
George brings a balance to the Force!

Bob is smiling tonite.

Enough of guys running are players, George will not let that happen, gives the habs a chance to take care of business.

He plays it well, and makes teams respect the hab bench.

Can't wait for him to show Chris Neil, the same.

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
snakeye

Now we just need someone to knock out the players that grab him from behind when he wants to fight.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
Bob is smiling tonite.

Enough of guys running are players, George will not let that happen, gives the habs a chance to take care of business.

Too bad he can't prevent dirty hit huh?

Still glad we have him to avenge our kids though..

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:12 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Bob is smiling tonite.

That's weird. A Phoenix player took a run at our 1st line LW tonight, even though we have a tough guy in the lineup.

I thought that wasn't supposed to ever happen?

Oh wait, wasn't Derek Boogaard unable to prevent the injury to Mikko Koivu last year?

Could Gino Odjick prevent the head shot to Richard Zednik?

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:18 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
That's weird. A Phoenix player took a run at our 1st line LW tonight, even though we have a tough guy in the lineup.

Oh wait, wasn't Derek Boogaard unable to prevent the injury to Mikko Koivu last year?

Exactly....

I was at the game tonight... and I felt kind of sick hearing everyone yell "George George George" when all we knew about Andrei was that he might have a severe concussion....

Ask for retribution all you want for your own "fan self esteem", but one of our most promising player might still develop a concussion problem for the rest of his career. Having Laraque in the line up didn't change ****...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Bob is smiling tonite.

What a completely delusional post.

I'm glad you think Georges prevents our players from being run, despite one of our players being run tonight. At least someone is happy tonight.

NOW. With that said, I'm glad we had Big Georges to send out there to send a message & beat the piss out of Fedoruk after one of our guys got injured & our goalie was run. Word will spread throughout the conference that the Habs are not to be taken lightly or BGL will be hunting for your ass.

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post

I'm glad you think Georges prevents our players from being run, despite one of our players being run tonight. At least someone is happy tonight.
You guys should know that NOBODY can prevent a cheapshot or a blow to the head in this league.

Georges did his job. He went to Sauer, looks for him during a full shift and after the play, he went back on him. After that, Fedoruk was looking for Komisarek for a fight. Georges went to fedoruk and P'Wned him! Again, he did he's job.

In conclusion, Georges calm the coyotes after the hit. That's what we were missing last year. Someone who can settles things down. Just imagine if we don't have Laraque in our lineup and after the hit, the Coyotes get the momemtum and beat the hell out of the habs??

So, yes i'm pretty happy to get Georges Laraque!!

And btw, hope Akost is okay!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:40 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:

Phoenix played a very tame game in the third after BGL did his enforcing. If he wasn't there, the Coyotes may have continued dishing out the hits on our best players and another might have been injured.

Montreal won't change its reputation as an easy physical team overnight.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Trexim

Hmmm, and several fans from other teams asuring that BGL no longer fighting ... ORLY?

Trexim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Mtl6

I love Laraque

Mtl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Licou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtl6 View Post
I love Laraque
Just make sure he doesn't love you too much...

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:18 PM
lou4gehrig

Quote:

What a pointless post. There are exceptions to every rule. And of course there are posters on here who are going to point it out on here.

So Crosby misses an open net once in awhile too. Whats your point? He can't score?

lou4gehrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
What a pointless post. There are exceptions to every rule. And of course there are posters on here who are going to point it out on here.

So Crosby misses an open net once in awhile too. Whats your point? He can't score?
It's only pointless because you missed the point. The OP is raving about Laraque preventing people from taking runs at our players. Ironically, one of our players was injured tonight.

Old
10-18-2008, 11:46 PM
habtastic

I think an important point here is that Saur didn't premeditate his check (which went bad). I personally think it was a cheapshot (going that high on him, pinning his head to the wall), but I think he was just trying to make a hit. I'm sure if he knew that the hit would have caused what it did (instead of just stopping Kosty from breezing by), he wouldn't have, because of the Laraque factor. So, having Laraque DOES do two things:
- after the outcome of Saur's hit, the coyote's realized they could not take any more chances dishing out whammos
- team pride IS important and if you saw Sergei's first shift after the hit, you tell me that it wasn't important for our guys to get retribution.

Also, as has been mentioned, Laraque has absolved Komi of fighting duties. Big plus. Kosto is great too, although I would have liked to see Laraque get a clean fight with Saur (refs prevented that too).

Of course i'm still most of all worried about Andrei cuz he was just sick tonight (really really looking like another Kovy) and a big part of our team's success. I think he'll be back and with a vengeance. Don't forget, he's a tough kid and lays out people all the time. I just wish we played the Coyotes one more time so that he could get a hat trick AND nail Saur.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:05 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
It's only pointless because you missed the point. The OP is raving about Laraque preventing people from taking runs at our players. Ironically, one of our players was injured tonight.
Ironnically every team with enforcers get the same treatment... what's the point???? Because Andrei got roughed up, George is not useful??? Yes Georges prevented the Yotes to abuse us further... You think we miss the point but you are missing it. Big Time. Where are you going with this??? explain please. Laraque is useless to you? Yeah right!

The poster you quoted was right: your post is really pointless. I won't wear my seatbelt because people die even if they are wearing it. I won't eat solid foods because sometimes people choke on it. I won't wear condoms because it is only 99.9% effective etc... pointless.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexim View Post
Hmmm, and several fans from other teams asuring that BGL no longer fighting ... ORLY?
Two fights in two games seems a lot. I think hes just establishing himself, missing all the preseason activity, where he would normally set an example.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
Ironnically every team with enforcers get the same treatment... what's the point???? Because Andrei got roughed up, George is not useful??? Yes Georges prevented the Yotes to abuse us further... You think we miss the point but you are missing it. Big Time. Where are you going with this??? explain please. Laraque is useless to you? Yeah right!

The poster you quoted was right: your post is really pointless. I won't wear my seatbelt because people die even if they are wearing it. I won't eat solid foods because sometimes people choke on it. I won't wear condoms because it is only 99.9% effective etc... pointless.

Reading. It's not that hard, people.

Nobody called Laraque useless. *big hug*

Now read through the entire thread a few more times & maybe you'll see instead of ranting all half-c0cked.

Old
10-19-2008, 03:19 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
Two fights in two games seems a lot. I think hes just establishing himself, missing all the preseason activity, where he would normally set an example.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=386853

According to the Canadiens’ new enforcer, the fact that Laraque dropped the gloves only seven seconds into his first shift as a Hab may prove to only be a sign of things to come.

“You shouldn’t be surprised by that seven seconds,” warned Laraque. “Believe me, you’ll be seeing a lot more of that, and I’ll probably even beat that time this season.”

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 04:21 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:

Reading. It's not that hard, people.

Nobody called Laraque useless. *big hug*

Now read through the entire thread a few more times & maybe you'll see instead of ranting all half-c0cked.
This was directed towards you on your comment on how Georges did not stop Sauer to do what he did.... That is a process... Even with Boogaard in the line-up, players on his team still get abused sometimes...Georges' presence will prevent some abuse, but not all of it. How could that be possible anyways???

Edit: sorry I missed the last part of your post (the first one). I saw Bush and my brain stopped workin there. My bad. But, with all due respect, I still think the first part is pointless though.

Last edited by peperebougon*: 10-19-2008 at 04:47 AM.
peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:11 AM
tmc

just seeing all the yotes scared s**tless when bgl was on the ice after the hit proves his worth to this team imo

tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:20 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Im still waiting for the first BGL beatdown in a habs uniform.

Spectaculard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 05:47 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc View Post
just seeing all the yotes scared s**tless when bgl was on the ice after the hit proves his worth to this team imo
im really not gonna lie...

thats the first time in my entire life, that ive seen an entire team sacred SH*TLESS over 1 person ON the habs...not 1 person, 1 person who plays for the HABS... ur talkin chris nilan here,a nd i didnt even watch 1 game of his!!

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:32 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperUnknown View Post
Phoenix played a very tame game in the third after BGL did his enforcing. If he wasn't there, the Coyotes may have continued dishing out the hits on our best players and another might have been injured.

Montreal won't change its reputation as an easy physical team overnight.
This is ridiculous. Georges said himself on TV last night that he can't ever go beat up a Sauer because "he's not a heavyweight". Georges would just get suspended and that's not good for the team.

Georges will only fight other heavyweights, and honestly while he did well against Fedoruk, he didn't destroy the guy or anything. I see absolutely no reason why the Phoenix players that are safe from Big Georges would somehow be deterred from hitting a Hab player uncleanly. Do you really think it's FEDORUK who would tell them not to???

Enforcers do not prevent cheap shots. What must be done to prevent (or at least reduce) injury-causing hits is clear communication from the league to create greater awareness among the players of the dangerous types of situations, followed up by greater certainty that committing a foul that is clearly defined as dangerous will be punished severely. That means major penalties, match penalties, or long suspensions.

That being said, I concede that Georges has his value. He can now fight the heavyweights occasionally instead of Komisarek or Kostopoulos always having to do so. George fights a bit more, the others fight a bit less. That's pretty much it.

I think history has shown that vigilanteism does not prevent bad acts, it may even encourage them.

Old
10-19-2008, 06:37 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Alex Tanguay got run?

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-19-2008, 06:44 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:

NOW. With that said, I'm glad we had Big Georges to send out there to send a message & beat the piss out of Fedoruk after one of our guys got injured & our goalie was run. Word will spread throughout the conference that the Habs are not to be taken lightly or BGL will be hunting for your ass.
Exactly. The original post was delusional. Georges did not and can not "prevent" a high hit, especially not from a player that he could not fight against because of the "code of the heavyweights".

But he was useful in being the guy to do some of the fighting so that BOTH Komi and Kosto didn't have to, Komisarek being the top priority to spare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
Alex Tanguay got run?
Tanguay may or may not be on "the first line" but unfortunately he is NOT playing LW either way.

I do get your point, though, and we may soon be going back to calling Koivu's line the first line. It all depends on overall line production over a period of time.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-19-2008 at 08:10 PM.