HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How about these lines...barring any trades..

Old
10-22-2008, 09:20 AM
MikeyLikesHockey

vCash: 500
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason530 View Post
I like this as well. I have to admit that Prucha and Dawes are pretty the same.
except one is listed as a LW and one a RW

Voros - Dubi -Z
Dawes - Gomez - Callahan
Naslund - Drury - Prucha
Sjo - Betts - Orr

Fritche and Korpedo play for injured players or get inserted when one of the players aren't doing well. That gives us an extra Wing and Center. Sjo can play right wing, so you might see him get put into one of the lines here and there.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:51 AM
thescout23

most of the combo's look good. and there is a good thought process behind them.

But I cant see cally in the top six. I think he really belongs on the third, imo.

thescout23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontRow View Post
I wanna see Zherdev on a line with Gomez....so I gave it a shot:

1) Naslund - Gomez - Zherdev

2) Voros - Dubinsky - Drury

3) Callahan - Korpikoski - Dawes

4) Orr - Betts - Sjostrom
Why break up our best line? I'd go:

Voros-Dubi-Zherdev
Naslund-Gomez-Callahan
Dawes-Drury-Sjostrom
Fritsche-Betts-Orr

I could also go for having Fritsche sit, and playing Korpikoski in his place. If that were the case though, I'd rather see Korpikoski on line three, with Dawes dropped down to line 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescout23 View Post
most of the combo's look good. and there is a good thought process behind them.

But I cant see cally in the top six. I think he really belongs on the third, imo.
He probably does, in terms of pure talent, but right now we're just looking for chemistry and production. If he can produce on the second line, fine by me. Remember that most of us thought Dubinsky was a tweener 2nd/3rd line center last season, when now it looks like he's ready to blossom into a legitimate number one centerman.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM
Fletch

nyr2k2...

you break up the best line you have if you believe that it will help get your best centerman and last season's leading goal going while not hurting the team much (i.e., if you think the tweak would result in a net more goals for). I'm not advocating changing up the lines, but perhaps the team's best playmaker is not getting the most out of his linemates.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:26 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
you break up the best line you have if you believe that it will help get your best centerman and last season's leading goal going while not hurting the team much (i.e., if you think the tweak would result in a net more goals for). I'm not advocating changing up the lines, but perhaps the team's best playmaker is not getting the most out of his linemates.
Point taken! I'll have to rethink my lines.

Old
10-22-2008, 12:31 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
I'm telling you, try pairing Dawes and Gomez together. I think these two guys have some good chemistry going on. Dawes can pass as well. Dawes isn't scoring yet but as Gomez keeps feeding him pucks, the guy's a sniper. He might start scoring goals in bunches. On the right side, if the Rangers have any intention of getting him going. you can try Prucha. I don't wanna hear from any one that Prucha is too small or not rugged enough. Patrick Kane I think just about weighs 170 pounds and he scores goals. With Prucha it's more of a mental thing and finding the right guys to play with. I think the Rangers hit a jack pot with getting Prucha in the 8th round but they just don't know how to use him. He needs to play on a consistant basis. I would try the Dawes, Gomez, Prucha line for a while. A lot of skill and good skating there.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Fletch

with Prucha, it's more than mental, it's also about consistency. He's not going to score any goals if he's not playing, and he won't score many if he plays a couple games, sits for a while, plays another, then sits again, all the while getting 9-10 minutes per night. Perhaps with Rissmiller gone the picture is more clear and they can give him that one last chance.

As for the lines...I don't think breaking up the Dubi line is the worst thing in the world. Dubi can play well with a lot of people and you can rationalize that line in many ways. The beauty about the lineup right now is that he's in it. You can have him with Voros and Prucha (Prucha and Dubi played about 4 games together last season and had three goals playing together and showed good chemistry). That gives two big bodies out there which may give Prucha a bit more room to shoot. You can also have Prucha on the left with Zherdev on the right. Different approach, but Prucha can cycle and the added skill from Zherdev can be a plus. The only problem with that is that it moves Naslund to the right side. But the point is, perhaps Drury needs a Voros to his left to get going, or Gomez needs a Zherdev to his right (I don't think that I would totally dismantle that line in any event, however).

The defense seems set and stable, and goaltending is on. The forwards seem to know how to play their position (i.e., good positional hockey and play well defensively). Now the issue is getting the offense going at even strength. The pieces aren't perfect, but there good enough to work with.

Old
10-22-2008, 12:54 PM
Merlin401

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I know that Orr is making his living with his fists but on youtube there is even an old fight when Orr was with the Bruins and he fought Struds. Not only did Struds hang in there but I think he won the fight. I think in todays game, the skill you have there on the fourth line without the Orr's and the Hollwegs, far outweighs what Orr can do with his fists. Besides that, you know he's going to rack up penalty minutes as well.
Which is I guess why Philly dresses Cote on the 4th line every game, Pittsburgh uses Godard every game (and sometimes Bissionnette too!), New Jersey dresses Rupp on the 4th line, and the Islanders just in general suck? Look all on down the line and almost every team is dressing a heavyweight every game (Brashear, Laraque, Boulton, Belak, Boogaard, Roy, Hordichuk, Janssen, Parros, Shelley, Fedoruk, Barch, Shawn Thornton, .... etc I got tired). This is not an unusual thing, as you make it sound.

Plus, Orr is probably a better skater than most of the 4th line enforcers in the league. Count your blessings that you have him.

Merlin401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:03 PM
NYR Viper

honestly, looking at players pasts who have players performed well with?.....

gomez---gionta, elias === dawes, naslund(overall pretty similar)
drury----mair, gaustad, grier === callahan, korpikoski, sjostrom(same types of players there as well)
dubinsky----jagr, straka === zherdev, voros(although less skilled on one wing he has that big body and a skilled player, pretty similar again)

granted no line ever has the same exact chemistry, but just looking at who the centers have played with before and who they have had success with in the past those lines would make the most sense....

naslund-gomez-dawes(i know there are two left wings but gomez goes all over the pace anyways)
voros-dubi-zherdev
callahan-drury-sjostrom/korpikoski
sjostrom/fritsche-betts-orr

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:15 PM
LyNX27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich View Post
voros - dubi - z
nasland - gomez - korpedo
dawes - drury - callahan

give it a shot!
I actually like those lines... a lot balanced scoring, good 2 way play from all lines.

LyNX27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
frozenH20

Line 1: Voros / Dubinky / Zherdev
Line 4: Sjostrom, Betts, Orr/ Frische …Against smaller teams, swap Orr with Frische to increase goal output
Line 2: Dawes/Gomez/Callahan………are beginning to click, but forces some sort combination of Drury, Nasland, Prucha, Korpedo. I don’t think Prucha & Dury looked good last year, and Korpedo may not be ready.

I think we may be better off with -

Line 2: Naslund /Gomez / Prucha…….Gomez excels at carrying and passing the puck, but needs to paired with forwards that keep up with his speed and shoot. I’m envisioning Gomez carrying the puck deep, Naslund playing the perimeter and taking long distance shots (like he’s been doing), while Prucha hunts for tip ins and / or finds space to shoot.

Line 3: Dawes / Drury / Callahan…….Drury is most effective around the net, but needs to be pair with someone who can carry the puck and shoot, so he can focus on rebounds. Dawes is capable of being a goal scorer and (unlike Prucha) can make plays as well as can carry the puck. I see Dawes carrying the puck while Drury sets up camp in front of the net, then Dawes and Callahan can fire at will.

This gives Korpedo some time to settle in, retool, etc. and Prucha the opportunity to prove he’s can / cannot mount a comeback. If Prucha fails and/or Korpedo is ready, Prucha goes, move Dawes with Gomez, and Korpedo with Drury.

frozenH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:36 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin401 View Post
Which is I guess why Philly dresses Cote on the 4th line every game, Pittsburgh uses Godard every game (and sometimes Bissionnette too!), New Jersey dresses Rupp on the 4th line, and the Islanders just in general suck? Look all on down the line and almost every team is dressing a heavyweight every game (Brashear, Laraque, Boulton, Belak, Boogaard, Roy, Hordichuk, Janssen, Parros, Shelley, Fedoruk, Barch, Shawn Thornton, .... etc I got tired). This is not an unusual thing, as you make it sound.

Plus, Orr is probably a better skater than most of the 4th line enforcers in the league. Count your blessings that you have him.
I agree the team needs an enforcer but, like i said earlier I don't think we particularly needed to sign Rosival for 5 mil per. There were some solid defensmen out there who could drop the gloves with anyone (including Laraque and Brashear) but Slats elected not to go for them. Even Struds can hold his own in this league or else trust me, no one would have picked him up. IDC how good a skater Orr is compared to other enforcers. The guy is still a piece of garbage hockey player.

Old
10-22-2008, 02:38 PM
Fletch

gravy - laroque and Brash are forwards, not defensemen. Did you mean to say enforcers?

As for Orr...I'm not totally sold on Orr, but he's not garbage. I don't enjoy seeing him 10 minutes per game. I also think he's better than most enforcers so 3 minutes may not be the right number either. But to be honest with you, enforcers throughout the league have become more skilled and better skaters over the years, so Orr's not so exceptional. Laroque and Brashear have been decent fighters and have deserved to play on third lines throughout much of their career.

Old
10-22-2008, 03:07 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
gravy - laroque and Brash are forwards, not defensemen. Did you mean to say enforcers?

As for Orr...I'm not totally sold on Orr, but he's not garbage. I don't enjoy seeing him 10 minutes per game. I also think he's better than most enforcers so 3 minutes may not be the right number either. But to be honest with you, enforcers throughout the league have become more skilled and better skaters over the years, so Orr's not so exceptional. Laroque and Brashear have been decent fighters and have deserved to play on third lines throughout much of their career.
Well the point I wanted to make was that I think Slats should have went after Commodore, or Sauer (from the Avs) or maybe even Struds who's now on Edmonton. I'm sorry "enforcers" are only referred to when talking about forwards? I didn't know that. I thought a D man could be an enforcer too. There were a couple of other guys out there too but I don't feel like looking them up. But, I mean at least these guys are decent defensmen. Like I said, We've played 8 games so far and Voros has more goals than Colton Orr has scored his entire career. Maybe some other teams can get away with playing an enforcer every night because they don't have problems scoring goals. Last year the Rangers were 25th in scoring goals and they lucked out in the playoffs because the met with the Devils who were even worse. People say Orr improved his skating during the Off season. I can barely notice. He still skates around like he's gonna fall on his face. Betts can't score too good either but he can play some D. Give him a pair of speedy wingers and maybe we can get a few goals out of our 4th line. We need goals from which ever line can provide them. And yes, I'm tired of watching Colton Orr play hockey because I'm sorry, but I think the guy stinks horribly as a hockey player. I just don't want the guy in the lineup no matter how many Fedoruks he can knock out in one game.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 10-22-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
I agree the team needs an enforcer but, like i said earlier I don't think we particularly needed to sign Rosival for 5 mil per. There were some solid defensmen out there who could drop the gloves with anyone (including Laraque and Brashear) but Slats elected not to go for them. Even Struds can hold his own in this league or else trust me, no one would have picked him up. IDC how good a skater Orr is compared to other enforcers. The guy is still a piece of garbage hockey player.
What I meant to say here is that I'll bet say for instance if we had Commodore. He can probably hold his own in a fight against Laraque and/or Brashear. Colton Orr gets his behind kicked in everytime he fights one of these guys.

Old
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
You lost me here. Laraque and Brash aren't D-Men. What does Roszival have to do with having a tough guy on our 4th line? If your suggesting we get a defenseman who can drop the gloves as our tough guy I don't agree with that strategy. You can't have one of your 6 defenseman doing the majority of your fighting because then your forced to double shift one of your 5 remaining defenseman while he sits in the box for 5 minutes.

In my opinon this teams main need at the present time is a winger who can finish for Gomez. Gomez has been making incredible passes on a nightly basis to his wingers and they just can't finish. I just finished watching the past 5 games on DVR since I was away for 2 weeks and I can't tell you how many times Gomez put the puck on someones stick in a prime position to score and they didn't. Gomez could have 15 assists right now if he had a true sniper playing with him. If Naslund or Dawes don't step up as the sniper we desperately need we are gonna have to go find one. Gomez's vision of the ice is nothing short of incredible.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 03:23 PM
TomLaidlaw

Quote:
What I meant to say here is that I'll bet say for instance if we had Commodore. He can probably hold his own in a fight against Laraque and/or Brashear. Colton Orr gets his behind kicked in everytime he fights one of these guys.
Commodore would get slaughtered against Brash or Laraque. Yes, Orr has had problems with lefties who smother you like Brash and Laraque but everyone in the league has problems with those two guys. By the way, Orr beat Commodore in a fight last year if memory serves me right. It was right after Orr hit Cullen.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:06 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
Commodore would get slaughtered against Brash or Laraque. Yes, Orr has had problems with lefties who smother you like Brash and Laraque but everyone in the league has problems with those two guys. By the way, Orr beat Commodore in a fight last year if memory serves me right. It was right after Orr hit Cullen.
Laidlaw or anyone else for that matter. First of all I think signing Rosival for 5 mil per year is not worth it. We have guys that can move and shoot the puck. We also have a few guys who can play just as well as Rosival but are stuck in Hartford while Rosy collects the big bucks. I would have rather used the cash for someone who can PLAY the Game and when really need be, stick up for his teammates and drop the gloves.

Put it this way. You're a kid growing up learning how to play the game. Time passes on and all of your work payed off. You get drafted by say the Rangers or the Flyers. You know you're NHL caliber like Fritche, Prucha and Korpokoski for instance. The only thing that is keeping you from solidifying a slot on the big club is a guy like Cote or Orr who have very limited talent when it comes to playing hockey. All of the hard work and developmental skills that you've been working on since you were 5 years old is not good enough because Orr and Cote (while not being able to provide anything on either end of the ice, get the roster spot over you because they know how too flatten a guy with one punch). I mean, just look at it from that stand point. Last year or the year before, the Rangers played a game at Philly with out one enforcer. Brashear was running around thinking he could do what ever he wanted. Pretty much cheap shotting and going after any player wearing blue. Well he took a ton of penalty minutes and the Rangers capitalized. That was the difference in the game. This is not the 70s any more. We don't need a guy like Orr or Cote on every team. IMO. If Orr has really put the work in and looks like a player who belongs on the ice I will bite my tongue real hard and take this all back.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:19 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Laidlaw or anyone else for that matter. First of all I think signing Rosival for 5 mil per year is not worth it. We have guys that can move and shoot the puck. We also have a few guys who can play just as well as Rosival but are stuck in Hartford while Rosy collects the big bucks. I would have rather used the cash for someone who can PLAY the Game and when really need be, stick up for his teammates and drop the gloves.
You honestly think that either Fahey or Potter are on the same level as Rozsival?

Quote:
Put it this way. You're a kid growing up learning how to play the game. Time passes on and all of your work payed off. You get drafted by say the Rangers or the Flyers. You know you're NHL caliber like Fritche, Prucha and Korpokoski for instance. The only thing that is keeping you from solidifying a slot on the big club is a guy like Cote or Orr who have very limited talent when it comes to playing hockey. All of the hard work and developmental skills that you've been working on since you were 5 years old is not good enough because Orr and Cote (while not being able to provide anything on either end of the ice, get the roster spot over you because they know how too flatten a guy with one punch). I mean, just look at it from that stand point. Last year or the year before, the Rangers played a game at Philly with out one enforcer. Brashear was running around thinking he could do what ever he wanted. Pretty much cheap shotting and going after any player wearing blue. Well he took a ton of penalty minutes and the Rangers capitalized. That was the difference in the game. This is not the 70s any more. We don't need a guy like Orr or Cote on every team. IMO. If Orr has really put the work in and looks like a player who belongs on the ice I will bite my tongue real hard and take this all back.
Have you seen any games this year? Orr doesn't look out of place. He's moving extremely well out there.

Old
10-22-2008, 08:24 PM
045NYR

They better do something with the lines, cause the Devils can score 5 against the Stars and we cant score more then once. There is definitely something wrong with that. We better come out flying on Friday.

045NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 09:48 PM
acapps10

prucha needs to be on the first line with gomez, end of the story. hes scored 30 goals in this league and constantl gets scoring chances if u put him with somebody who can get him the puck night in and night out hes goign to find the net and give us a huge offensive boost. dawes needs to sit hes worthless at this point.

acapps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Staalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
honestly, looking at players pasts who have players performed well with?.....

gomez---gionta, elias === dawes, naslund(overall pretty similar)
drury----mair, gaustad, grier === callahan, korpikoski, sjostrom(same types of players there as well)
dubinsky----jagr, straka === zherdev, voros(although less skilled on one wing he has that big body and a skilled player, pretty similar again)

granted no line ever has the same exact chemistry, but just looking at who the centers have played with before and who they have had success with in the past those lines would make the most sense....

naslund-gomez-dawes(i know there are two left wings but gomez goes all over the pace anyways)
voros-dubi-zherdev
callahan-drury-sjostrom/korpikoski
sjostrom/fritsche-betts-orr
I was just about to post lines exactly like this. I really love this set up. I think korp should get the third line spot and sjoo the fourth line spot, and if korp continues to not produce, then we send him back down to hartford, and fritsche gets the third line spot. I really like fritsche and I think he has better potential than most of us give him credit for.

As for the Ryan idea, I love it. He's a jersey kid, and the type of player we haven't had in forever in a true young power forward. I'd LOVE to have him. Cap issues or not though I'd be shocked if we could get him from Anaheim

Staalwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:27 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
You honestly think that either Fahey or Potter are on the same level as Rozsival?

Have you seen any games this year? Orr doesn't look out of place. He's moving extremely well out there.
Well I guess if I say I have seen every game this year (which I have) then I should feel pretty dumb after being so oblivious to how Orr has been moving extemely well. If the guy could actually show me something offensively by maybe striving for more than a goal a year (well thats just being sarcastic). I'm not so sure Potter doesn't belong in the NHL. But i strongly feel like Orr doesn't. I mean a 4th line of Sjostrom, Betts and Korpokoski doesn't sound a little bit better in your mind? You would prefer that someone like Prucha, Korpokoski, Fritche or Dawes be sent down to Hartford in order to make room for Colton Orr.
Someone said the Rangers need 2 more guys who can score goals and one more rugged defenseman. I'm sorry if I don't agree that Rosival deserved a 5 mil per year contract. I do think he's a good player though. He had to start someplace. He didn't actually tear it up at the AHL level or while playing with Pens any more than Potter has with the Pack. Who knows how good Potter is compared to Rosival. I'm sure no one expected this type of production from Voros so quickly. I'm just saying i would have liked to see the Rangers go after Kurts older brother and the money for Rosival put back in Dolan's pocket. Lets not get started on who is better at the NHL level compared to another. Since I've been watching the Rangers, you know how many guys they let go or traded because they thought someone else was just so much better. The list starts at about 1986 as soon as I started watching the team and they've made so many, countless numbers of mistakes on player personal it would be ridiculous to even talk about it now with Potter vs Rosival.

Old
10-22-2008, 10:39 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Well I guess if I say I have seen every game this year (which I have) then I should feel pretty dumb after being so oblivious to how Orr has been moving extemely well. If the guy could actually show me something offensively by maybe striving for more than a goal a year (well thats just being sarcastic). I'm not so sure Potter doesn't belong in the NHL. But i strongly feel like Orr doesn't. I mean a 4th line of Sjostrom, Betts and Korpokoski doesn't sound a little bit better in your mind? You would prefer that someone like Prucha, Korpokoski, Fritche or Dawes be sent down to Hartford in order to make room for Colton Orr.
Someone said the Rangers need 2 more guys who can score goals and one more rugged defenseman. I'm sorry if I don't agree that Rosival deserved a 5 mil per year contract. I do think he's a good player though. He had to start someplace. He didn't actually tear it up at the AHL level or while playing with Pens any more than Potter has with the Pack. Who knows how good Potter is compared to Rosival. I'm sure no one expected this type of production from Voros so quickly. I'm just saying i would have liked to see the Rangers go after Kurts older brother and the money for Rosival put back in Dolan's pocket. Lets not get started on who is better at the NHL level compared to another. Since I've been watching the Rangers, you know how many guys they let go or traded because they thought someone else was just so much better. The list starts at about 1986 as soon as I started watching the team and they've made so many, countless numbers of mistakes on player personal it would be ridiculous to even talk about it now with Potter vs Rosival.
However it would be ridiculous when comparing who you would rather have on the RW on the 4 th line. Some guy they picked up on waivers whos only purpose in the league is to fight. Or first round picks Sjostrom and Korpokoski. If you say Orr has been moving well out there I wonder what words you would use for Prucha if you want to talk about quickness on skates. And for the other guy getting down on Dawes. He like Prucha need to play every day on a consistant basis and find the right line mates. Renney can't put Prucha in there for one game. He doesnt score and then everyone says he stinks. He's netted over 20 goals twice before. he can do it again.

Old
10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
No that was Orr beating up brooksbank.