HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Capitals @ Flames, Game 6

View Poll Results: Who was the Flames' MVP tonight?
Matthew Lombardi 3 9.09%
Jarome Iginla 1 3.03%
Miikka Kiprusoff 26 78.79%
Cory Sarich 0 0%
Robyn Regehr 0 0%
Other - please specify 3 9.09%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-21-2008, 10:57 PM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
PGT: Capitals @ Flames, Game 6

Fire off!

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 10:59 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

MVP: Miikka Kiprusoff.

Great game from the goaltender tonight, as well as a good defensive effort from the team.

Good to see a much needed win.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
GoFlames

I vote Mikka. Great game today.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

Voted Iggy.

Post Game analysis - Washington @ Calgary Oct 21st - 2-1 Flames

First Period
Fairly uneventful up until Fedorov scored to make it 1-0 on a great shot tip that Kipper couldn’t even see. Then things got.. weird. A bone crushing hit on Langkow by Tyler Sloan set off Rene Bourque, who then jumped all over the aforementioned Sloan and fed him a couple knuckle sammiches. Chris Lee and Bill McCreary found it appropriate to level NINETEEN minutes of penalties to Bourque. The list is 2 minutes each for instigator and unsportsmanlike, 5 minute fighting major and a 10 minute game misconduct.

Suffice it to say 9 minutes of PK and you gotta expect goals right? WRONG!!!! The ever valiant heroes once again showed why we all have the Faith and wear the C. Not only did they kill off the penalties they start the Second period with 30 seconds of 5 on 3 play. Good Deal!

The reason I harp so loudly about this is that here is something the Flames are doing very very right. Their PK is near to flawless. Aggressive, smart and with sticks and feet constantly moving they are even generating offensive chances while shorthanded. Which sadly is something I expect we will be seeing alot of this season.

Second Period
Penalties, penalties, penalties, and more of the same. BUT this period it was mostly the Caps sitting in the bin. Four separate 5 on 3 chances for the Flames, set the stage for a 2 goal period by the Flames. Iggy got the party started with his beautiful wrist shot. Then roughly a minute and a half later Lombardi scores as well.

Not the best effort from the PP unit, but they did score one, and for all purposes Lombo’s goal was seconds after a powerplay, so one could say it’s not as bad as the stats would say. I would be one. The PP unit seemed to have that jump and puck sight that the PK teams seem to have figured out already.

Kipper was outstanding this period. He moved, he read the play, he was showing Kipper of Yore tendencies in the second and it was a HUGE relief to see him playing this well. Oh Miikka, finally you have stopped dreaming of your fishing rod and that little lake in Finland eh? Welcome back to the Dome, Sincerely, All Flames Fans :smooch:

Third Period
The third opened with a magnificent Kipper save, a key key save in my opinion. Certainly he made others, but this was the Save Of The Night™ as called by me. The first half of this period really didn’t have any flow and the offense came in fits and starts. Still the Flames kept their feet moving and made smart defensive zone decisions that kept them in a one goal lead.

The Flames also had a key PK with only 7 minutes left in regulation play. They had to and did, kill this one off. It was again a near flawless kill, with the noteable exception of one silly play by Sarich. I know I keep going on about it, but seriously. This PK Unit is something to be very happy about as Flames Fans.

The fight of the night was amazing. McCreary Vs Regher’s Stick!! Tho I agree with the TSN guys, there was no way in a million years of trying you could replicate that.

And in the words of Peter Mahr, “YOU CAN PUT IT IN THE WIN COLUMN!!!!”

Overall Impression
Well that was the first full sixty minute game the Flames have put together this season. And good on them for it too, as the Flames take away a well earned and hard fought win. I have said more than enough about the penalty killing, and am less than impressed with the Power Play, but this was an excellent game all in all.

Three Stars by Solstice
1. Jarome Iginla
2. Matthew Lombardi
3. Miikka Kiprusoff

Last edited by Lanny'sDaMan: 10-21-2008 at 11:17 PM.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2008, 11:59 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Very happy with the win. Sloppy game and definetly an ugly win, but I'll take it. Kiprusoff looked great and seemed confident tonight. Defensive play was much better as well. Need to continue playing like this.

The Good:
PK. Outstanding. Primeau, Lombardi, Sarich and Regehr especially were great.
Lombardi- Had a great game and seems to be over the flu finally. Using his speed and spent the 2nd half of the game on the top line. Great to see him get that first one.
Kipper- Like I said looked confident tonight. Made a couple great saves when it was 2-1.
Glencross-Had an especially good third period. Whole third line was good.
Sarich-Regehr. Both were monsters tonight. Really impressed with Sarich this season. Probably been our best d-man so far. Regehr much better after a bad weekend.

The Bad:
Iginla-Looks frustrated out there. Got the weak goal, but still isn't what we are used to. He'll be better.
Phaneuf- Was he half asleep the first two periods? Awful game. Was a bit better in the third, but really struggled in the first two periods.
PP- Way to many turnovers. Trying to be to fancy. Lets get some shots on net and try for the rebounds. Don't understand why they are continuing to try to pass it through the whole PK team.

Going on the road for a couple will hopefully get this team gelling a bit more. Looking forward to Thursday.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:35 AM
bam09

First off, hats off to Kipper. I have trashed him all season and most of last. But when the guy has a great game(although rare) I will tip my hat.

Ironically this is the one game I was hoping he would be down a little so Ovie could score . I was hoping for a high scoring game resulting in a Flames win, but I'll take it.

MVP is Kiprusoff.

PS: Ovechkin is scary. He was putting Bertuzzi Iginla and Regehr on the ice when they tried to blind side him or take the puck.

Nice hits by Glencross and Regehr in the final 5 there.

bam09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Hyde

Really, I'm just glad they won, no criticisms from me about how they got it done. As there were way too many PP's for this to be called a pretty game.

MVP: Miikka Kiprusoff.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:00 AM
saillias

Other: Cammalleri. He drew every almost penalty in the second and third period. Even though we didn't score on these chances it completely ruined Washington's momentum

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 10:40 AM
haQ Loob

Is it just me, or did this game look familiar to the one-goal wins of 2003-2004? Awesome penalty kill, great 5-on-5, responsible coverage in our end, solid goaltending, (and lackluster power play).

The goals weren't pretty, but they got it done. Also impressive was the way the team stayed composed with the lead while many Caps were leaving their feet for hits on our best guys.

It was about the same amount of effort as our losing games this year, but our guys just played a whole lot smarter.

haQ Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:00 AM
WillardJFredricks

Great to see them only give up one goal. The game was sloppy and the amount of powerplays ruined any flow it might have had, but at least they got the win and Bertuzzi is still looking very good.

WillardJFredricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Northern Neighbour

I missed the first period of the game and the 9-minute penalty to Rene Bourque. Could someone please summarize what happened. Thanks.

From what I saw, I voted for Kipper as the Flames' top player. He was very steady - by this I mean he wasn't flopping all over the ice but instead was square to the shooters and didn't overreact to situations. His glove hand still needs a bit of work, but it was good to see him catching pucks.

The PKers should also get a lot of credit for last night's win after killing off the 9 minutes in penalties to Bourque plus a couple of shorthanded situations in the 3rd Period. The PKers for once did an excellent job.

Iginla and Phaneuf, though, weren't very good last night. Iginla didn't have a lot of jump and he was uncharacteristically losing battles on the boards. Phaneuf, meanwhile, struggled with his offensive game. His passes were consistently inaccurate and his shots were high and wide. He did play a decent defensive game, though.

Anyway, I'll take the victory. Hopefully this will create some positive momentum for the team.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Body Checker

boring game, too many penalties and disjointed play, can actually say the players deserved most of their penalties

And just want to say that my biggest pet peeve is players being expected to fight after laying down a clean, LEGAL body check. It's in the rules and I like a big hit better than a big fight.

Bourque deserved the 9 minutes, Langkow should keep his head up...........

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Cyrus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
I missed the first period of the game and the 9-minute penalty to Rene Bourque. Could someone please summarize what happened. Thanks.
Tyler Sloan lays a monsterous (and 100% clean IMO) check on Langkow. Bourque immediately starts throwing punches at Sloan before Sloan has time to do anything, and I think another Flame kinda took out Sloans legs so he had no base (that part wasn't malicious). So Bourque gets 2 for instigating, 2 for instigating with a visor, 5 for fighting, and a 10 minute misconduct. He certainly deserved a big penalty, I thought 9 was fine.

As for the game itself, the PK won the game, without question in my mind. With that huge PP, we probably should have been down 3-0 or 4-0. Instead, we get out of the first period down 1-0. Frankly, it felt like we weren't even down after 1, the way the Flames continuted to play. At no point was there a sense of needing to come back from behind.

Obviously the multiple 5 on 3's played a big role, but I agreed with most of, if not all the penalties called in the game on both sides.

I voted Kipper as the MVP, he looked very solid, making some huge saves when needed. Not much of a chance on the goal against him. Yes his glove handling in the second was a tad off, but the defense bailed him out, which is what needs to happen.

I thought Langkow played a pretty rough game, though considering the plastering he took, it was excusable.

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:41 AM
saillias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post

From what I saw, I voted for Kipper as the Flames' top player. He was very steady - by this I mean he wasn't flopping all over the ice but instead was square to the shooters and didn't overreact to situations. His glove hand still needs a bit of work, but it was good to see him catching pucks.

The PKers should also get a lot of credit for last night's win after killing off the 9 minutes in penalties to Bourque plus a couple of shorthanded situations in the 3rd Period. The PKers for once did an excellent job.

Iginla and Phaneuf, though, weren't very good last night. Iginla didn't have a lot of jump and he was uncharacteristically losing battles on the boards. Phaneuf, meanwhile, struggled with his offensive game. His passes were consistently inaccurate and his shots were high and wide. He did play a decent defensive game, though.

Anyway, I'll take the victory. Hopefully this will create some positive momentum for the team.
To summarize the 9 minute wonder:

Edit: Beat to it

Langkow gets nailed in a clean open ice hit from Tyler Sloan, a 27 year old defenseman who's never played an NHL game. It was a nice hit but not one of those utter demolishings that leave a guy seeing stars. Bourque goes after him immediately, dropping his gloves. Sloan pretty much falls over before a fight even begins and never got his gloves off, and a huge scrum started that blocked what was happening. TSN then cut to a camera showing Bourque punch Sloan a few times while he was on the ground. So Bourque got the 5 minutes for fighting, because he technically did fight, the 2 minute instigator, unsportmanlike conduct which I believe was for not taking off his visor, and then of course the 10 minute misconduct.

I like the player's enthusiasm in sticking up for each other but imo they really can't go beating up a guy every time he knocks someone over...

On another note either the ice is horrible or they're using a bad batch of pucks right now. There were few clean passes or shots last night, the puck wobbled and hopped over sticks all night.

Last edited by saillias: 10-22-2008 at 11:46 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 11:47 AM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
boring game, too many penalties and disjointed play, can actually say the players deserved most of their penalties

And just want to say that my biggest pet peeve is players being expected to fight after laying down a clean, LEGAL body check. It's in the rules and I like a big hit better than a big fight.

Bourque deserved the 9 minutes, Langkow should keep his head up...........
Yeah but how many times do we see Phaneuf lay a big hit only to have someone start fighting him yet there's no instigator? Be consistent. Bourque deserved the penalties he got, but they just better be consistent all year with that.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:02 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Cool View Post
Yeah but how many times do we see Phaneuf lay a big hit only to have someone start fighting him yet there's no instigator? Be consistent. Bourque deserved the penalties he got, but they just better be consistent all year with that.
I think the 8 straight compensation calls that followed gives us no reason to complain about things.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post
I think the 8 straight compensation calls that followed gives us no reason to complain about things.

True enough.

I had no problem with the 9 minute penalty. My concern was more towards the Flames PP and the lack of scoring on all those 5-on-3's.

Old
10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Northern Neighbour

Thanks for the summary. I'll have to try to find a replay of the event tonight when I get home.

And the PP wasn't clicking last night. The Capitals did a great job at being aggressive on the penalty kill and getting into the passing lanes, but the team also made poor passes and missed the net on several occasions. Another problem with the PP was that the players constantly tried to carry the puck in when the Capitals were lining up across the blueline. They needed to shoot the puck in more often and overload one side to get possession. Hopefully Keenan will address this at practice.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:47 PM
puck_08

This was a bad game!
Turnovers + a totally inept Powerplay.

I'm glad we won, and I'm glad Kipper played great, but we should be glad the Caps stunk in this game just a little bit more than the Flames.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:18 PM
StreakingRed
#unsustainable

On guy I think deserves some credit for a great game is Wayne Primeau. Some great work on the PK from him.

Old
10-22-2008, 01:30 PM
Hyde

Maybe the Caps deserve some credit as well?

Plus, Lombo's goal might not have come on the PP but it was pretty much was the product of the PP.

Old
10-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Kylo Ren

MVP is easily Kipper in this one. He was great, but the D was really quick on the puck in every way

Kylo Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:46 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Maybe the Caps deserve some credit as well?

Plus, Lombo's goal might not have come on the PP but it was pretty much was the product of the PP.
I'm not talking about if we scored one goal on the powerplay, I'm talking about the lack of quality shots, the lack of gaining the zone and keeping possesion, and the general lack of organization they showed while on the PP.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
I'm not talking about if we scored one goal on the powerplay, I'm talking about the lack of quality shots, the lack of gaining the zone and keeping possesion, and the general lack of organization they showed while on the PP.
Yeah, have to agree with all of that....really I'm just trying to stay "positive".

The PP could have been better, so could the Caps PP, the PK was great though, then so was the Caps PK.

Old
10-22-2008, 06:12 PM
Ticonderoga
For the Watch

vCash: 50
Honestly, I would take any win right now as a positive.

At least Kipper showed he is capable of being the goalie we need.

The defense was a bit better, but man does our PP suck.

On the other hand our PK looks pretty good, and Lombardi looked very good last night.

......and as for Bourque I think he did the right thing, but should have dropped his lid. Was it worth 9 min of penalty's however.....I would say no.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote