HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

How do I go about picking a NHL team to be a fan of?

Old
10-22-2008, 12:29 AM
forrestk

vCash: 500
How do I go about picking a NHL team to be a fan of?

My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

I have played in a fictional fantasy hockey league (www.myrpha.com) for about ten years with the same guys, and about 75% of them are die hard Habs fans. Being around them has sparked my interest in finding a team I really care for, whether it be the Habs or not.

It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?

Last edited by forrestk: 10-22-2008 at 01:14 AM.
forrestk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:39 AM
Risiko

Montreal. If I wasn't already a Canuck fan i'd be a Hab fan. They ahve the greatest fans in the league, hands down.

Risiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:44 AM
The Polak*

Oilers will the cup, so I'd choose them.

Or a team you like

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:44 AM
WeezyHabFan

American Canadian , don't matter who you cheer for as long as you like them! now as far as history Montreal and Toronto are really the richest with history, and ( please don't call me biased but i truely believe) Montreal has the biggest most loyal fan base but at times can be harsh. If your not too sure still just watch teams play and see which u like to watch? Montreal is a really exciting team to watch as well young and full of skill plus did i mention its our 100th season

WeezyHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Sharp Skates

vCash: 50
Habs fan is the way to go if you want a young impressive team with a large fanbase.

You can also go Crosby licking with the Pens or the easy way with the Red Wings.

Sharp Skates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Disgruntled

Washington.

Disgruntled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Foy

you don't even necessarily have to pick a team. Just find some players you like. Love the game for what it is. Who says you have to pick a team anyways?

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:48 AM
Peacock

Where do you live now? That could be a factor.

I'm a Montreal fan so you're welcome to join our fanbase any time, hahaha.

However the way I'd go about it is by watching as many games as possible and picking out which team I like watching the most.

Although I'm half Italian I never really had any attachment to any soccer club in Europe so I watched as many soccer games as possible and ended up rooting for the teams which I found most entertaining and likeable.

As for size of fanbases, I think Detroit and NY (rangers) are comparable to Canadian fan bases, but beyond that I'm not too sure. You'll find Boston and Philly (very passionate) to have quite a loyal following as well.

Peacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:49 AM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Imo you don't pick the team, the team will pick you. Watch some games, eventually you will start feeling attached to a team or to a few players on a team at least and it will grow from there.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:50 AM
HackandLube

What's wrong with the caps? The team they have now is one of the most amazing and exciting in the league with one of the best (if not, THE best) star.

And...AMAZING JERSIES!!!

HackandLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:56 AM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risiko View Post
Montreal. If I wasn't already a Canuck fan i'd be a Hab fan. They ahve the greatest fans in the league, hands down.
Yeah, because booing players who didn't sign with them in the summer is a class act.

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 12:58 AM
forrestk

@ Peacock: I'm currently at Ohio State Univ. in Columbus OH, however, I have been around the Blue Jackets for three years now and they just don't do it for me. There are some decent fans around here but the team is overshadowed by the Buckeyes, and I hate it. I'll be out of Columbus soon, hopefully en route to grad school, so Columbus is only temporary living.

Good replies everyone, keep them coming.

Old
10-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Risiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
Yeah, because booing players who didn't sign with them in the summer is a class act.
That's the way it is out here in Vancouver. There's always going to be some idiots.

The way the fans cheered on Price after he let in a couple bad ones in last year's playoffs convinced me though that they have the best fans in the league. That would never happen in Vancouver.

Risiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:05 AM
DetroitWhat

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestk View Post
My last thread just got closed...didn't mean for it to cause trouble, honest! I grew up in the DC area following hockey off and on, but was never a big fan of the Caps. Lost interest about a year before the lockout and pretty much up until this year.

I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either. I like team history and big, dedicated fanbases...unfortunately, this is pretty much only found in Canada!

It's a simple question, but I'm dying to know: how can I become a true fan of a NHL team? Can an American be a fan of a Canadian team, even if they've never seen the arena/team play in person? How did you come to love the team you like the most?
My personal opinion is that it's the most fun to watch a team develop. Therefore, if you are going to pick a team and there is no criteria, I would look for a team that has great young talent and excitement about hockey in their city. Sounded like you were more into being an American hockey team fan from the original post also. With all of that combined and as impartial as possible, I would go with someone like the Chicago Blackhawks.

Why?

- Great young talent you can watch develop over the next 10-20 years (i.e. Kane, Toews). They also seem like classy kids and I would do anything to go back in time and watch Steve Yzerman throughout his career had I been born 10 years earlier.

- City is pretty into hockey. The city is buzzin' with the new added talent and overall potential of this team.

- Having a favorite team in a really amazing city is a perk. Being able to go catch a game and spend a weekend in Chicago would be great if you were into the team.

The homer in me says consider the D because we have great skill and talent, usually equating to overall great experiences to watch. Washington also has some of the aforementioned qualities, so I would give your hometown team a fair chance before dismissing them. Most fans would pay millions to watch the career of Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin develop in the nation's capital.

Glad to have another hockey fan.

DetroitWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:08 AM
HunterSThompson

This is how i see it. If you don't already have a team in a sport, but want a team, choose the team convenient geographically. This is so when you end up really liking the team, you can go to games regularly. and you will be around other fans of the team.

In my mind the there are only a couple reasons to be an out of town fan:

1. you hate the hometown team for some sort of reason
2. you grew up somewhere else and liked that team or you grew up rooting for the "family team" (your family is from boston but you grew up in california so they all root for the bruins, pats, celts, and sox)

example: I live in the dc area. I have been a caps, skins, and wizards fan from birth, but never got into baseball. The nationals just move here i adopt them as my team now that I am getting into baseball.

So if you plan on living in the dc area after school choose the caps, or you can wait and figure out where you will relocate and choose them and for now just be a fan of the sport and go to some columbus games and go to some games back home, and go to some games while at graduate school.

HunterSThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Jimmy McNulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
you don't even necessarily have to pick a team. Just find some players you like. Love the game for what it is. Who says you have to pick a team anyways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Imo you don't pick the team, the team will pick you. Watch some games, eventually you will start feeling attached to a team or to a few players on a team at least and it will grow from there.
Very good posts. I'm a Wild guy because I'm from Minnesota, but I can relate to/agree with these. Living in Minnesota, I never felt attached to the NFL's Vikings and as I started watching football somewhat randomly, I started to like the Steelers more and more because of guys like Big Ben and Jerome Bettis, etc. and their style of play. So, I became a fan.

The same process can take place with hockey. Just start watching random games on Versus, NBC, NHL Center Ice, even Blue Jackets games and just paying attention more to their opponents - whatever is accessible to you. You could also watch highlights on NHL.com. After you get a good feel of the league, how teams play and what players you like and dislike - you'll start to become attached to teams based on that.

Jimmy McNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:21 AM
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?

Its probably been said already, but watch different games and you'll see a team you like the style of, or the players. It'll come naturally.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:23 AM
forrestk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitWhat View Post
My personal opinion is that it's the most fun to watch a team develop. Therefore, if you are going to pick a team and there is no criteria, I would look for a team that has great young talent and excitement about hockey in their city. Sounded like you were more into being an American hockey team fan from the original post also. With all of that combined and as impartial as possible, I would go with someone like the Chicago Blackhawks.

Why?

- Great young talent you can watch develop over the next 10-20 years (i.e. Kane, Toews). They also seem like classy kids and I would do anything to go back in time and watch Steve Yzerman throughout his career had I been born 10 years earlier.

- City is pretty into hockey. The city is buzzin' with the new added talent and overall potential of this team.

- Having a favorite team in a really amazing city is a perk. Being able to go catch a game and spend a weekend in Chicago would be great if you were into the team.

The homer in me says consider the D because we have great skill and talent, usually equating to overall great experiences to watch. Washington also has some of the aforementioned qualities, so I would give your hometown team a fair chance before dismissing them. Most fans would pay millions to watch the career of Ovechkin, Backstrom and Semin develop in the nation's capital.

Glad to have another hockey fan.
I am very lucky to be going up to Chicago at the beginning of November for the Northwestern football game, as well as a Blackhawks vs. Flames game. Never been to Chicago's arena before, so it should be a great time. Definitely looking forward to seeing Kane and Toews, and I like what you're saying with the young squads chuck-full of potential.

Old
10-22-2008, 01:38 AM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan311 View Post
Its probably been said already, but watch different games and you'll see a team you like the style of, or the players. It'll come naturally.
this is the best anserw.

If you want more facts, PIttsburgh happens to be the most popular road team in the NHL having more sell outs were ever they visit. I assume people like to watch them for a certain reason. As I remember Toronto happens to be one of hte most popular road teams along with Pittsburgh.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Complaining Customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestk View Post
I really want a team to call my own, and I don't want to be accused of bandwagoning, either.
The Thrashers really need a few fans, and you won't be accused of anything close to bandwagoning, believe me.

(and yes, I am first and foremost a Thrashers fan)

Complaining Customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:08 AM
Chimp

If you live around Washington, I have absolutely no idea why you shouldn't pick your home team, especially since the team the Caps field is quite exciting, with a couple of very promising young players and one of the biggest stars today.

Can people just stop trying to convince him to cheer for your homer team and form a reasonable response instead?

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:25 AM
Old Uncle

Since you've been into fantasy hockey for a while, you should have a sizeable list of players on your team. Why don't you pick your favourite 5 or 10 and follow them. This gives you players to follow, get google updates on and introduces you to different teams immediately. Then when they are traded or move with free agency you get to see if that has you stay with the original team or follow the player. Tracking a specific group of individuals will get you more into the game or turn you into a stat freak.
Good Luck

Old Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:35 AM
Core

Be a fan of the Florida Panthers.

Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:49 AM
orangeshinpads
Katz isa manipulator

Sports is basically a surrogate for tribalism. All the intensity and glory of war with less destruction.
Fundamentally, it doesn't matter which team you cheer for once you've chosen the team or have inherited it because you'll have traded an even keel for group mentality. So choose a team! Fly their colours high and delight in the energy of the city as the team wins the Stanley Cup.

Pick a team with good management, players, and you like the shirts.

Good Shirts: Philly, Carolina, Mtl., Phoenix, Tampa
Good Players: Mtl., Detroit, Edmonton, Pittsburgh, etc
Good Management/GM: I dunno, Columbus, Detroit, Edm.,

You'll notice Edmonton showing up a lot up there. See I can't help you because I've chosen, and my religion clouds my judgement. Come join the pageant of passion and rivalry.

orangeshinpads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 02:59 AM
ELab2

I would pick by the style of play that you like. If you like boring defensive hockey pick the Devils for example, if you like great passing and puck possession pick the Wings.

Personally if I wasn't already a Flyers fan I would probably get into the Caps, just a great great team to watch.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote